VERBOS ELECTRONICS

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Whatisvalis
Wiggling with Experience

Re: VERBOS ELECTRONICS

Post by Whatisvalis » Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:39 pm

I’ll second spending more time experimenting - the ATC / HO combo I have can sound a bit flat/muddy, but with modulation and lots of hands on wiggling it also sounds fantastic. I could play the HO and ATC all day.

fattyparts
Common Wiggler

Post by fattyparts » Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:48 pm

have there been many changes to the DFP filter? I recently saw a secondhand one advertised as being different from the later revisions as it uses a vactrol.

mritenburg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mritenburg » Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:11 pm

fattyparts wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:48 pm
have there been many changes to the DFP filter? I recently saw a secondhand one advertised as being different from the later revisions as it uses a vactrol.
It’s likely that vactrols have been phased out of the DFP. The Complex Osc no longer has vactrols and the ATC redesign removed vactrols.

There are definitely a few different versions of the DFP out there. The earliest version has 4 calibration trimmers for the LPF and 3 vactrols. Later versions added offset trimmers. And then even later versions removed all trimmers.

Ask the seller to send you a photo of the back side. That’ll help identify the version.

fattyparts
Common Wiggler

Post by fattyparts » Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:10 am

mritenburg wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:11 pm
fattyparts wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:48 pm
It’s likely that vactrols have been phased out of the DFP. The Complex Osc no longer has vactrols and the ATC redesign removed vactrols.

There are definitely a few different versions of the DFP out there. The earliest version has 4 calibration trimmers for the LPF and 3 vactrols. Later versions added offset trimmers. And then even later versions removed all trimmers.

Ask the seller to send you a photo of the back side. That’ll help identify the version.
I feel very lucky I own vactrol versions of the CO and ATC. I think my next purchase will be the DFP, so wondering how it compares sonically to the previous revisions.

fattyparts
Common Wiggler

Post by fattyparts » Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:34 am

so is anyone using the dual four pole with a Intellijel stealth case? I've been reading about how fussy this module can be and wondering if this is the module that breaks my system. all my other Verbos modules work fine.

Brian2020
Common Wiggler

Post by Brian2020 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:45 am

fattyparts wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:34 am
so is anyone using the dual four pole with a Intellijel stealth case? I've been reading about how fussy this module can be and wondering if this is the module that breaks my system. all my other Verbos modules work fine.
I had no problems when using my Dual Pole Filter in a Intellijel 7U Performance Case. The Intellijel power supply is excellent, it’s easily as good as the one in my Verbos Electronics case if not better. The trick seems to be recalibrating the filter’s trimpots when you move it to a new case. Good luck 🍀

Whatisvalis
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Whatisvalis » Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:51 am

One thing I've discovered getting back into Eurorack this last year is I love the Frap Tools and Verbos approach to module design. I've tried HP saving, multi function modules, but they're not for me.

I have an ATC and HO - no quality issues - so I'm thinking of getting a few more Verbos modules to cover additional Env, CV processing, and animation.

Thoughts on the Multi Envelope, Voltage Multistage, and CV Processor Mixer + Slew?

fattyparts
Common Wiggler

Post by fattyparts » Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:49 am

Brian2020 wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:45 am
fattyparts wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:34 am
I had no problems when using my Dual Pole Filter in a Intellijel 7U Performance Case. The Intellijel power supply is excellent, it’s easily as good as the one in my Verbos Electronics case if not better. The trick seems to be recalibrating the filter’s trimpots when you move it to a new case. Good luck 🍀
That's reassuring to know, thanks. Mine should arrive Monday, brand new, latest revision, so i hope there will no issues and that i never have to worry about calibrating the module later down the line.

GmbH
Common Wiggler

Post by GmbH » Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:06 pm

Whatisvalis wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:51 am
I have an ATC and HO - no quality issues - so I'm thinking of getting a few more Verbos modules to cover additional Env, CV processing, and animation.

Thoughts on the Multi Envelope, Voltage Multistage, and CV Processor Mixer + Slew?
The ME makes a lot of sense, since all CV inputs on Verbos modules expect high voltages which other brands may not provide -if I’m not mistaken, Doepfer’s envelopes only go up to +5V…

The CV Processor, albeit expensive, is very very useful: as a poor man’s AD envelope and slew limiter (top section) or as mixer/inverter/offset/crossfader/VCA (lower sections).
I use it all the time!

And once you get all those, you may want to get the Sequence Selector ;)

Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:18 pm

Whatisvalis wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:51 am
Multi enveloppe is a very interesting enveloppe, the shapes have a lot of personality, especially if you're used to AD EG. I love that there's an in for every stage, I use them a lot for modulation. The CVp is very useful to mix shapes different enveloppes into ATC or create accents/velocity. The top part goes very well with the VMS and gives a lot of control over you cv sequences. The VMS is a beast of a sequencer. You wont be able to live without those individual stages out once you'll get use to them.

Anyone rocking two CO by the way ?
Last edited by Tumulishroomaroom on Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
instagram
dc11- immersion 4 tracks ep of modular deep techno

Whatisvalis
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Whatisvalis » Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:51 pm

Thanks for the comments. On the envelope front I have a Falistri and Ceis. I think those Verbos modules could be a nice hands-on addition to my modulation. The CVp might be excessive - I might get another 321 - but the V. Multistage is something I want to experiment with next, that and one more envelope generator..

Voggg
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Voggg » Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:42 pm

I'm looking for Verbos-style red Rogan RB knobs to replace my Trigger Man knobs. I think medium unskirted would be right (AKA the same size as the large knob on Multi-Delay or Bark Filter). However all I can find online are small unskirted, small skirted, medium skirted and large skirted.

Any idea where to find medium unskirted? And am I interpreting the sizes correctly?

Example of what I'm talking about:
https://www.thonk.co.uk/shop/rogan-buchla/

mritenburg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mritenburg » Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:47 pm

Voggg wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:42 pm
I'm looking for Verbos-style red Rogan RB knobs to replace my Trigger Man knobs. I think medium unskirted would be right (AKA the same size as the large knob on Multi-Delay or Bark Filter). However all I can find online are small unskirted, small skirted, medium skirted and large skirted.

Any idea where to find medium unskirted? And am I interpreting the sizes correctly?

Example of what I'm talking about:
https://www.thonk.co.uk/shop/rogan-buchla/
Yep, you want the medium unskirted. It’s the knob used for delay time on the multi-delay. No idea where to find that.

Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:32 pm

Little loop with two ultra simple sequences (one step really) through the Verbos CO and Red Panel Model 158 though a few delays (Multi Delay processor and El Capistan) and some Jomox Alphabase flex :

Trying to actively keep it the most minimal I can. I’ve done a version without synths, only delays feedbacking on cranked noise running through the system.
instagram

Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:17 am

I just made a patch from scratch video trying to push the VMS/Sequence Selector further than I usually do. Lots of patch cables, just one sound source and 100% Verbos modules apart from a LxD and DPLR.

instagram

Voggg
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Voggg » Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:38 am

Nice patch, and something I need to do more of this year (push the modules I have instead of looking at new gear)

I've wanted a Multistage for ages but never found the right space for it. Turns out the 0-Ctrl, which I had initially dismissed, has a very similar feature set in a desktop format. No sliders, but unquantized analog, per-stage gate outs + time control (+ touch and a built-in eg) is so nice to have. I'm using it a lot with my Verbos gear, Morphagene, and to make drum loops. If you lack rack space for a VMS or have one and are considering a second, it's worth a look.

Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:03 pm

Funny you should say that I am presently considering a second similar sequencer but had my eyes on the Random Source Seq8XL for a bit of variation but keeping the open-ended spirit. The 0-Control really looks perfect but I don't really want to add another box outside the rack. I much prefer having everything integrated. I dismissed the 0-Control at first too but it's true that the feature set is great.
instagram

valouxxx
Common Wiggler

Post by valouxxx » Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:01 pm

shockletit wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:27 am

[...]

1. Has anyone had similar experiences with Verbos initially and found techniques, methods or realisations/flashes of inspiration that suddenly turned around either their appreciation for the instrument or their thinking in approaching it?

[...]
Yes at 1st times those modules could be pretty hard to tame. There's so much sweet spots but at least as much bad spots, IMO. I almost always use EQ behind as some frequencies are easily too hard. The CV is often 10v range, so just a little push on a fader / pot could drastically changes the face of the sound : it's easy to loose a good mood. So you have to take time to practice patching and to learn how will react modules. And maybe it's not really your taste of modules, no big deal ;)

Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:01 am

Here's a little snippet with a complex osc on the lead duties :

instagram

Portabella
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Portabella » Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:31 am

Can someone explain me why the Verbos FO is ludicrously overpriced at 470€ at Thomann for a single freaking oscillator?
One can buy several other oscis or even different brands complex oscis for that price.

johny_gtr
Ultra Wiggler

Post by johny_gtr » Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:00 am

Portabella wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:31 am
Can someone explain me why the Verbos FO is ludicrously overpriced at 470€ at Thomann for a single freaking oscillator?
One can buy several other oscis or even different brands complex oscis for that price.
OSC+ Buchla style Timber section.
modular percussion and scapes - http://ovod.bandcamp.com
mu modular space electronica https://7k-ok.bandcamp.com

mritenburg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mritenburg » Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:18 am

Portabella wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:31 am
There’s one for sale now in BST for $410 USD. That’s what? 340€.

Here is the sale: viewtopic.php?f=74&t=237457
Disappointment with any module is usually a failure of imagination.

glitch experiment

GmbH
Common Wiggler

Post by GmbH » Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:38 am

You can find it new for 438€ at almost every other official dealer in Europe:
http://www.verboselectronics.com/dealers

If you get it at Schneiders, they are door to door with Verbos, if you ever need a repair.

Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:35 pm

They pop up second hand if you're patient enough. Plus it's far more than you standard dixie or whatever.

Here's a little dual complex oscillator snippet, one with the low drone the other with the synth line :

instagram

StrangeAttraction
Wiggling with Experience

Post by StrangeAttraction » Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:39 pm

Apologies if this is a dumb question...but is is the Verbos Complex Oscillator build on a particular chip (e.g. CEM)? I can't seem to find any information on what the triangle core is based on, so to speak.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”