Quantimator firmware update!

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

toppobrillo
Ultra Wiggler

Post by toppobrillo » Fri May 13, 2016 11:12 pm

Hi, so I have tested firmware 1.2 and Ebo's custom firmware with 2 very different sequencing/ clocking setups and was unable to reproduce this issue..i wonder what else could be going on.

Ebotronix
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Ebotronix » Sun May 15, 2016 12:24 pm

I've tested the 1.2 Firmware again,
with ext Trigger in the cv out notes are wrong. (all scales)

drxcm
Ultra Wiggler

Post by drxcm » Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:57 pm

Hi toppobrillo - I've tried to msg you and have just emailed you too - ordered in mid-April and no correspondence or parcel received yet - please get in touch!

rdomain
Wiggling with Experience

Post by rdomain » Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:35 am

I bought the upgraded 1.1 chip a while back. Is there any way to upgrade to the corrected 1.2 without having to buy another chip? Postage was more than the chip. :confused:
aritchie.com

Luap
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Luap » Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:01 am

rdomain wrote:I bought the upgraded 1.1 chip a while back. Is there any way to upgrade to the corrected 1.2 without having to buy another chip? Postage was more than the chip. :confused:
You can download the hex file from the website for nothing. But then you need some technicated chip programmer widget thing and a degree in electronic engineering to apply the update file. Or perhaps you know someone local who could do it?

analogue01
Ultra Wiggler

Post by analogue01 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:28 pm

I bought a Quantimator from AH earlier this year. is there a way to know what firmware I'm on?

Thanks
WEBSITE
Rob Ae wrote:plugging CV gate cables in my mouth, to taste the voltages, turned out to enhance my skills.

bucketbrigade
Common Wiggler

Post by bucketbrigade » Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:52 pm

So I realize now I have the version 1.1 chip. Can anyone point me towards a tutorial on the upgrade process (I'm on a Mac and don't have the programmer thingy but I'd be willing to get it and try if it's possible for non-programmers.)

Or is it possible to get a 1.2 chip?

I'd really like to have a Dorian scale. Was making me batty til I saw here that the scale is wrong in ver 1.1.

EDIT: Already taken care of with an email to Toppobrillo. Thank you!

sockmonkey
Common Wiggler

Post by sockmonkey » Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:19 am

Which programmer thingy is required? I have a few such thingies lying around, would prefer to do this myself if possible.

sockmonkey
Common Wiggler

Post by sockmonkey » Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:00 pm

OK, got it. For the record, I popped the Quantimator ATMega328 chip into the socket on my Uno, hooked up a USBasp (ICSP) programmer to the ICSP headers and ran from the OSX Terminal:

avrdude -p m328 -c usbasp -P usb -U flash:w:quantimator1.2.cpp.hex

Done and done.

sockmonkey
Common Wiggler

Post by sockmonkey » Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:22 pm

I am having trouble with the 1.2 firmware in scale mode, though. Basically, every scale is chromatic, trigger or no trigger. Chord mode appears to be working properly.

rdomain
Wiggling with Experience

Post by rdomain » Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:31 pm

sockmonkey wrote:OK, got it. For the record, I popped the Quantimator ATMega328 chip into the socket on my Uno, hooked up a USBasp (ICSP) programmer to the ICSP headers and ran from the OSX Terminal:

avrdude -p m328 -c usbasp -P usb -U flash:w:quantimator1.2.cpp.hex

Done and done.
Thanks for the info! I'll look into the hardware needed. As for v 1.1 vs 1.2, maybe it's better to stay on the former for now or did something go wrong with yours?
aritchie.com

sockmonkey
Common Wiggler

Post by sockmonkey » Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:40 pm

rdomain wrote:Thanks for the info! I'll look into the hardware needed. As for v 1.1 vs 1.2, maybe it's better to stay on the former for now or did something go wrong with yours?
I got mine for 5 EUR on ebay. I'll try reflashing when I get back to my studio later this week, but a) the transfer looked correct and verified properly and b) I have trouble imagining that a firmware partially works - either it runs or not.

Has anyone got a working self-flashed 1.2?

rdomain
Wiggling with Experience

Post by rdomain » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:57 pm

sockmonkey wrote:
rdomain wrote:Thanks for the info! I'll look into the hardware needed. As for v 1.1 vs 1.2, maybe it's better to stay on the former for now or did something go wrong with yours?
I got mine for 5 EUR on ebay. I'll try reflashing when I get back to my studio later this week, but a) the transfer looked correct and verified properly and b) I have trouble imagining that a firmware partially works - either it runs or not.

Has anyone got a working self-flashed 1.2?
Yes that true re: they either work or don't. Buying one sounds like a no brainer to me. I'll definitely look at grabbing one soon either way!
aritchie.com

sockmonkey
Common Wiggler

Post by sockmonkey » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:15 am

Following up, my problem was entirely user error. The self-flashed 1.2 firmware works perfectly AFAICT.

drxcm
Ultra Wiggler

Post by drxcm » Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:43 pm

Still no reply from directly messaging or emailling to toppobrillo.

It's been over 2 months since I ordered the chip and nothing has arrived. In fact I've never had a word of correspondence about it apart from the Paypal receipt.

Pretty disappointing..

:despair:

blackelmo
Learning to Wiggle

Post by blackelmo » Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:30 pm

Very disappointing indeed!

I ordered an upgrade chip for my Quantimator back in mid May. I've received a few email replies from Josh over the months saying that he will send my chip that week. Weeks pass and nothing. Toppobrillo has the worst customer service that I've experienced from a module maker. Be warned.

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:27 pm

blackelmo wrote:Very disappointing indeed!

I ordered an upgrade chip for my Quantimator back in mid May. I've received a few email replies from Josh over the months saying that he will send my chip that week. Weeks pass and nothing. Toppobrillo has the worst customer service that I've experienced from a module maker. Be warned.
Unless you've dealt with many module makers with a similar problem/issue, then it's better to tone down the hyperbole.
Many makers are 1 or 2 people shops doing this in their spare time.

blackelmo
Learning to Wiggle

Post by blackelmo » Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:55 pm

I stand by my statement that Toppobrillo has the worst customer service that I've experienced. How hard is it to put a chip in a padded envelope and mail it?

I'm not exaggerating. I have dealt with many module makers over the years. I've exchanged support emails with Pittsburgh Modular, Analogue Solutions, Delptronics, Intellijel, Hexinverter, Pulp Logic, Gieskes, Ladik, Mutable, the list goes on. All of them have been responsive, helpful, and awesome. Many of these companies are 1-2 man businesses.

Junk Rhythm
Big Bottom Shaker

Post by Junk Rhythm » Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:34 pm

blackelmo wrote:Very disappointing indeed!

I sent a text message to Josh a little bit ago and pointed him to this thread.

jarcorbo
Common Wiggler

Post by jarcorbo » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:27 pm

I'm in the same boat - Josh emailed me a month ago (after ordering more than a month prior) and explained the situation. He assured me it would go out later that week, but still no chip. I sent a follow-up email last week - no reply.

Today, I politely asked him to send it or I will request a refund. We'll see how it goes...

I really love my Quantimator so I hope to get it soon!

PolarIceCaves
Veteran Wiggler

Post by PolarIceCaves » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:03 pm

Just bought a Quantimator used and have read through this thread

But I do need the update so I went ahead and ordered it today

Hope these materialize soon, I understand the complications of running a small business, maybe he can't source the chip or something.

sockmonkey
Common Wiggler

Post by sockmonkey » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:08 pm

Without defending or condoning, if you have an Arduino Uno lying around, you can update the firmware yourself. Obviously that's not much help for those who paid for the update chip and haven't received it. But if the goal is getting the update on the module, it's an option.

jarcorbo
Common Wiggler

Post by jarcorbo » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:40 pm

^^Thanks for the tip! I might try that route if the chip doesn't show up. I don't have an arduino but have a few students that do, it would be a good excuse to try it for myself!

drxcm
Ultra Wiggler

Post by drxcm » Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:56 pm

Mine never showed up months after ordering, Josh never replied to (m)any emails or PMs, so I put a paypal dispute in and was refunded.

Pretty disappointing, I love my Sport Mod and Quantimator, but I won't ever buy a Toppo product again after such poor service.

toppobrillo
Ultra Wiggler

Post by toppobrillo » Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:50 am

Hi, so sorry everyone. this is my bad, and I am sending (or resending?) the following orders today: James Anderson, Michael Hopkins, James Towning, Jacob Soto, Samantha Brown, Stephen Kirby. these are the only chip orders I could find for the past 3 mo.s. please let me know if I have missed any others, best, Josh

Return to “Eurorack Modules”