Modular Synth Basics! Cases, power, modules, CV?! Come in :)

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

Shadewe
Common Wiggler

Re: ModularGrid sketch and questions

Post by Shadewe » Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:04 pm

luupp wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:47 pm
Just saw that I answered a 1 year old post. Whatever
Hope you are doing great bud!
Don't feel bad, it was still informational. :yay:
Practicing social distancing since 1984

malnourish
Common Wiggler

Re: Modular Synth Basics! Cases, power, modules, CV?! Come in :)

Post by malnourish » Tue May 26, 2020 11:44 am

Great videos, thanks for taking time to make and post.

s.pwyll
Learning to Wiggle

Post by s.pwyll » Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:02 pm

flx wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:13 pm
Never heard of "active" bus boards, but I'm not that deep into these power esoterics, so maybe there are those. Swapping the PSU should be fine though. Never had any issue with my bus boards and flying cable solutions over the years.
Based purely on observation, "passive bus boards" seem to be basically flying bus boards with a rigid structure--a pcb composed entirely of straight-line copper traces with no components other than the connectors. I'm fairly new to this world, so I may be wrong (or missing something), but every bus board I've seen identified as "passive" has been basically a rigid, mountable flying bus board.

On a different note, thank you for your videos--you've been an inspiration even before I finally succumbed to the modular rabbit hole :-)

bengarland
Common Wiggler

Post by bengarland » Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:25 pm

I built my power supply by using Meanwell RT-65B + 4MS Bus Board. If I ever need 5V I'll use the line from the Bus Board, so that the RT-65B can dedicate all of its amps to the +12V and -12V lines. As much as some people will poop on using a DIY power supply and say it's dangerous blah blah blah, I've had this setup for almost a year and it works great.

flx
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flx » Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:50 am

s.pwyll wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:02 pm
flx wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:13 pm
Never heard of "active" bus boards,
Based purely on observation, "passive bus boards" seem to be basically flying bus boards with a rigid structure--a pcb composed entirely of straight-line copper traces with no components other than the connectors.
Sure, those things are passive. But what would an active bus board do differently than simply connect modules to a PSU? Seems like an empty marketing statement.
bengarland wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:25 pm
I built my power supply by using Meanwell RT-65B + 4MS Bus Board. If I ever need 5V I'll use the line from the Bus Board, so that the RT-65B can dedicate all of its amps to the +12V and -12V lines. As much as some people will poop on using a DIY power supply and say it's dangerous blah blah blah, I've had this setup for almost a year and it works great.
The Meanwell is not a DIY PSU though. It’s a regular, off-the-shelf, fully-built, plug & play power supply product, which is also quite popular. I’ve owned at least four of these during my modular synth high times in various systems (Euro, 5U, Serge) and they always worked like a charm. So don’t worry :) It’s just another normal power solution.
You can also find and contact me here:
tuesdaynightmachines@gmail.com
YouTube
nightmachines.tv

epic_zhukovsky
Learning to Wiggle

Re: ModularGrid sketch and questions

Post by epic_zhukovsky » Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:00 am

luupp wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:47 pm
luupp wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:46 pm
epic_zhukovsky wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 7:08 am
I wanted to expand on my previous post with a concrete ModularGrid sketch, and some specific questions. Any feedback would be appreciated!

Some questions:
  1. Would I need some other module to appropriately control Akemie's Castle (or a module like Mutable Instruments Plaits)?
  2. To what extend does Plaits' FM capability overlap with Akemie's Castle?
  3. Would it make sense to add 4ms Spectral Multiband Resonator to this setup?
  4. How soon will I need Espert Sleepers ES-5 in order to expand the ports on Expert Sleepers ES-3?
  5. What would be an appropriate substitute for Mutable Instrument Clouds (or should I try to find one second hand)?
  6. Is Veils a good choice for a mixer for this setup?
  7. What possibilities would modules like Verbos Electronics Harmonic Oscillator and Mutable Instrument Stages open up in this setup?
  8. Would the sound sources work well by themselves, or would it make sense to add modules like Mutable Instruments Stages?
Brilliant videos, by the way! I learned a lot! :)
1. I don't think you need anything specifically for Akemei's Castle
3. It depends on if you actually want that resonant filter. It doesn't have any technical limitations to add it if that's what you are wondering about
4. Asap, since in this setup you basically dont have any CV sourve/LFO/EG etc.
5. Veils is fine, or Intellijel QuadVCA. Generally 2 VCA per Voice is a good rule of thumb, so as long as you dont add anymore sound sources you should be good
6. Stages a tons, you would get a complex LFO/Seq that you can modulate things like waves, shapes, timbres, open/close filters etc.
Verbos depends on the sound but gotta be careful about not overloading your system with Oscillators
7. Generally you would want some LFO, EG, or depending on what style you are after, some source of randomness like wogglebug or marbles. I assume you would be using this with some sort of midi controller, so that's great you can send triggers and 1v/octs. But I would add some LFO/EG/filters and mixers as well.
Just saw that I answered a 1 year old post. Whatever
Hope you are doing great bud!
Hi!

Thanks for your reply!

I didn't see your message until now, but it was an interesting read anyway, so thanks a lot! :)

This is what my setup looks like now:

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1306725

(And this is what I'm looking into at the moment: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=236739.)

I hope you're doing great as well, my friend! Take care! :)

xidnpnlss
Learning to Wiggle

Post by xidnpnlss » Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:59 am

Brand new to euro (aside from some semimods). I just received a Maths. Ive gone over the manual and tutorials. I am now going through Demonam's patch guide.

Is it normal to still have no idea how it's doing these things or am I dumb?

tia

(Are there other good guides to Maths people recommend?)
FS: Moog Mother 32, Yamaha SPX-900

cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cptnal » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:02 am

xidnpnlss wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:59 am
Brand new to euro (aside from some semimods). I just received a Maths. Ive gone over the manual and tutorials. I am now going through Demonam's patch guide.

tia

Concentrate on the ones that do make sense. The rest will come in time. This shit takes years, but it's fun.
Is it finished?
Latest Tune:
Sounds: SoundCloud , Freesound
Racks: Big Case, Top Row, Funboat, Tinicase

Scott
Common Wiggler

Post by Scott » Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:26 pm

cptnal wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:02 am
xidnpnlss wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:59 am

tia

Concentrate on the ones that do make sense. The rest will come in time. This shit takes years, but it's fun.
I'm relatively new to all this as well and have a Maths. Every time I use it I wonder "why didn't I know that?" I truly learn something new all the time. I have found you learn faster if you can plug it into an oscilloscope and that's true of any module really, but it's very illuminating with Maths. You can see what it's doing and the pieces start to fall into place and make more sense. I have the Mordax Data, which does a lot of things, and I highly recommend it. One of my smartest purchases.

xidnpnlss
Learning to Wiggle

Post by xidnpnlss » Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:05 am

@scott @cptnal

Thank you both.

I am far from complaining: mind constantly blown and love not knowing what's going on (like a Lynch film). I was just curious if seasoned vets felt the same going in.

@scott Yeah I know how useful that'd be but it can't happen unfortunately. Small, baby steps skiff.

Can I ask random beginner questions here? Or is that frowned upon?

- general maintenance: do I have to be super careful with the circuit boards? Obviously I'm careful with all things...but super careful? I see people in videos throwing these modules around onto other modules...

- Is compressed air ok to use? My place is dusty.

- How do people deal with manufacturer voltage mismatches? I'm using a Microvolt 3900 and I think it's sending 5v whereas Make Noise expects 8v. Do people have all things attenuated?

taia
FS: Moog Mother 32, Yamaha SPX-900

Electro Something
Common Wiggler

Post by Electro Something » Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:23 am

So I’m looking for my first eurorack stereo mixer. It will output to a Focusrite 8i18 which is the hub of my little studio.

Do I need a proper eurorack output? Or will any eurorack mixer connect to my Focusrite with some 1/8”-to-1/4” cables just fine?

flx
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flx » Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:26 am

Electro Something wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:23 am
So I’m looking for my first eurorack stereo mixer. It will output to a Focusrite 8i18 which is the hub of my little studio.

Do I need a proper eurorack output? Or will any eurorack mixer connect to my Focusrite with some 1/8”-to-1/4” cables just fine?
A proper output module is nice, but might not be necessary. A normal mixer module will connect to the Focusrite too with the cables you mentioned. Just make sure you dial the mixer's output levels down, because Eurorack levels can be very hot, which can make the sound clip in your Focusrite.
You can also find and contact me here:
tuesdaynightmachines@gmail.com
YouTube
nightmachines.tv

Electro Something
Common Wiggler

Post by Electro Something » Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:16 pm

flx wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:26 am
A proper output module is nice, but might not be necessary. A normal mixer module will connect to the Focusrite too with the cables you mentioned. Just make sure you dial the mixer's output levels down, because Eurorack levels can be very hot, which can make the sound clip in your Focusrite.
Cool, thanks! Yeah my Focusrite has 4 inputs in the front each with gain knobs. I can easily adjust those as needed.

What else does an output module do other than lower the levels and provide 1/4” jacks?

Return to “Eurorack Modules”