the DIY cases thread!

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

A.S.
Common Wiggler

Post by A.S. » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:08 am

yes, that is really nice. it's an Addac case, isn't it? Nice.

i have been thinking about that rotating principle too, mounting it on the wall, but couldn't figure it out. then i decided to go with this stand, the plus being the adjustable height, so i can either sit down or stand up.which is nice.
MARK27 wrote:
A.S. wrote:Image
I have been thinking about something similar ever since I saw Neily2000's drafting desk conversion that he posted back in 2014.

it's never straight up and down

intafon
Common Wiggler

Post by intafon » Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:47 pm

Fun little article on the noiseenginering.us blog:

https://www.noiseengineering.us/blog/20 ... blog-lives

dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dooj88 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:10 pm

looking for a bit of advice. just picked up a unitec case which i plan to convert to a 12u 134hp case. the depth is good, 3" on one side and over 5" on the other.

my question is about the hinges. ideally i'd like to open it and have it stay proped open, but the hinges don't work that way. they are open to facilitate the top coming off. wondering what options i have for replacements. doesn't appear i can just bend it over to keep it from coming off. any hardware recommendations? or should i try another case? these may not be easily replaceable.

schelmaster
Learning to Wiggle

Post by schelmaster » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:00 am

Months ago I made a custom 3D printed 36HP skiff for a friend's system.
Could be interresting to post it here.

He wanted to use his circadian rhythms horizontaly because more convenient for him

initially 3 parts skiff with integrated rails (had to design a extra support for the doepfer lunchbox PSU because of wrong holes position that i figured out too late but it fixed the problem fine)

If someone's interrested I can put files on thingiverse.

ImageImage

ImageImage[/img]

A.S.
Common Wiggler

Post by A.S. » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:39 am

nice.

i realise that 3d printing to me still is something very abstract.

whereas it's quite real for others. i should really dig into its possibilities, one of these days.

ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

Post by ersatzplanet » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:51 am

schelmaster wrote:Months ago I made a custom 3D printed 36HP skiff for a friend's system.

He wanted to use his circadian rhythms horizontaly because more convenient for him

initially 3 parts skiff with integrated rails (had to design a extra support for the doepfer lunchbox PSU because of wrong holes position that i figured out too late but it fixed the problem fine)

You should consider a slight re-design that is shallower since it doesn't need to be that deep (use a flying bus or put in a side space for the buss board) and if you could design it so it could snap together with another one or more to make a longer skiff. Make it a size so that multiple units would add up to the standard 84HP so threaded rails could be used.

Iff you want to really get fancy, you could also make a slanted version and offer different printable end panels to connect them together in different system arrangements. I like the modular approach because it makes each element in a smaller size which fits more 3D printer beds.
-James

James Husted - Synthwerks, LLC - www.synthwerks.com - info@synthwerks.com - james@synthwerks.com
Synthwerks is a proud member of the Mostly Modular Trade Association (http://www.mostlymodular.com).
Always looking to trade for Doepfer P6 cases

DJ_JITTER
Learning to Wiggle

Post by DJ_JITTER » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:08 am

Reposting this from the DIY sub-forum:
DJ_JITTER wrote:So I've been scouring Ikea and other furniture suppliers to try and find a replacement for this. Yeah I could just get some MDF board, but then I'd need to cut it to size, paint it, etc. I came upon this drawer that looked to be just right, but annoyingly the stated internal dimensions are actually the internal ones.

A quick rejig by mounting the sides differently (see attached CAD) and it fits some Tip Top 84hp rails quite neatly, probably up to 7U.

The tops of the side panels are exposed particle-board, but some stickers sorted that out. You could still use the bottom of the drawer as a back panel, but it won't fit the full width. Another option could be to get another one and attach it to the bottom with the supplied dowels and some glue for 14u for £30.

Since I've only got 1 row of modules at the moment, I don't have much need for more than this, but someone should take a look at this kids storage unit, I reckon it might fit some 19" rails.

electricanada
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by electricanada » Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:57 pm

schelmaster wrote:Months ago I made a custom 3D printed 36HP skiff for a friend's system.

Please post them!

Yunsnare
Common Wiggler

Post by Yunsnare » Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:14 am

Hi guys, here's my last case in 6U but I'll just keep her 9U sister !
This one is light ( less than 5kg ) and with a little raw effect that I like !

DDJ
Wiggling with Experience

Post by DDJ » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:01 am

Hey guys. I have a pretty standard monorocket-style case that I built (many pages back). It’s 104hp 12u. I’m looking for some permanent options for how to support the lid while wiggling.

I want to leave the lid and base attached so I’m not looking for a guitar stand solution. The hinges are slide-on.

What are all the options out there for this kind of thing?

I can post a picture if it helps.

dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dooj88 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:41 am

DDJ wrote:Hey guys. I have a pretty standard monorocket-style case that I built (many pages back). It’s 104hp 12u. I’m looking for some permanent options for how to support the lid while wiggling.

I want to leave the lid and base attached so I’m not looking for a guitar stand solution. The hinges are slide-on.

i was thinking about the same thing recently. the cleanest and simplest (if potentially the least study) solution is some kind of lid stay. steel wire, nylon or chain would work. there are also hinges type stays but depending on where the rails are mounted these may not be possible.

there's also the make noise blue steel rack prop, but it's expensive and unwieldy for gigging, and quite similar to the guitar stand solution you said you don't want.

A.S.
Common Wiggler

Post by A.S. » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:25 pm

DDJ wrote:

when i had the enclave 12u, a sturdy empty box of some module or another did the trick quite well.

A.S.
Common Wiggler

Post by A.S. » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:25 pm

Yunsnare wrote:Hi guys, here's my last case in 6U but I'll just keep her 9U sister !
This one is light ( less than 5kg ) and with a little raw effect that I like !

i like that little raw effect too! really nice!

Yunsnare
Common Wiggler

Post by Yunsnare » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:37 am

Thank you A.S !

gajimicu
Learning to Wiggle

Aluminium 7U 84hp

Post by gajimicu » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:31 am

Hey guys,
I'm trying to expand my first Happy Ending kit and realize that the world of 6U can get pretty expensive...

I found this enclosure that has the exact internal width of a 84hp rail.
The height is 13" wich is 0.75" more than 7u.
The only problem is the inside lips, the aluminium is folded to receive a top, so one would have to cut those lips, at least on the left and right.

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Bu ... P1aA%3D%3D

I'm really considering this right now..!

Does anyone have experience with this?

emilysuper
Learning to Wiggle

Re: new 6U 104 hp rack

Post by emilysuper » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:05 pm

flak~ wrote:new 6U 104 hp rack,,, :nana:

Damn love the illustrated panels

emilysuper
Learning to Wiggle

Re: new 6U 104 hp rack

Post by emilysuper » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:17 pm

flak~ wrote:new 6U 104 hp rack,,, :nana:

Damn love the illustrated panels

attacca
Common Wiggler

Post by attacca » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:21 pm

3D printed POCA case, trying out some HIPS I've had sitting around for 3 years.

Sloth Boss
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Sloth Boss » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:21 am

Has anyone seen or managed to make anything comparable to the TipTop Station 252 or Frap Tools Uno cases that fold a 3-row setup?

I would love something like that, but I can't justify the price of those two.

stylesforfree
Wiggling with Experience

Post by stylesforfree » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:51 am

Sloth Boss wrote:Has anyone seen or managed to make anything comparable to the TipTop Station 252 or Frap Tools Uno cases that fold a 3-row setup?

I would love something like that, but I can't justify the price of those two.
Like this....?

snakejaw
Wiggling with Experience

Post by snakejaw » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:50 am

attacca wrote:3D printed POCA case, trying out some HIPS I've had sitting around for 3 years.

Hey attacca,

How/where did you get that 3d printing done? I'd like to do something like that with the A-180-9's I just got.

attacca
Common Wiggler

Post by attacca » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:27 pm

snakejaw wrote:
attacca wrote:3D printed POCA case, trying out some HIPS I've had sitting around for 3 years.

Hey attacca,

How/where did you get that 3d printing done? I'd like to do something like that with the A-180-9's I just got.
I have a printer so I just drew it up and printed it myself. I can print you one if you'd like for pretty cheap.
Last edited by attacca on Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

attacca
Common Wiggler

Post by attacca » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:33 pm

ImageImage

ImageImage[/img]
That's a good looking case. Is that PETG or Nylon? Did you print the rails vertically?

snakejaw
Wiggling with Experience

Post by snakejaw » Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:22 pm

attacca wrote:
snakejaw wrote:

Hey attacca,

I have a printer so I just drew it up and printed it myself. I can print you one if you'd like for pretty cheap.
Hey attacca,

I'd be interested.

attacca
Common Wiggler

Post by attacca » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:15 pm

Test fit for 4hp version made from nylon:

Image[/img]

Return to “Eurorack Modules”