the DIY cases thread!

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Post Reply
señor-bling
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 42
Joined: Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:22 pm
Location: EU

Post by señor-bling » Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:08 am

Looks great!

In retrospect, I should have gone with three rows as well. But building my own suitcase was one diy-step too many for me. So when I saw this old car suitcase with just the right dimensions (to a mm) for four rows of 165hp, I couldn't resist…

Accompanies my kb37 (invisible, on the left) and at the very least should provide ample expansion space for quite a while :)

Image

Image

proxemics
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:03 pm
Location: Madeira, Portugal

Post by proxemics » Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:15 am

justscratch wrote:love the overhead bin picture

did you have a backup plan if for some reason they asked you to check your case?
I carried the power supply and some cables and headphones in my backpack, in case they asked me to power on. It has been a bit anticlimactic, though, no one did more than a double take. I'm white though, and I imagine if I was another color racism would make it more difficult to fly with modular.

noisewreck
Common Wiggler
Posts: 157
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:51 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Post by noisewreck » Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:17 pm

intafon wrote:Has anyone used an old Univac for a modular synth case? :eek:

Image
Smoked Eurorack?

User avatar
McRINdk
Common Wiggler
Posts: 103
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:01 am
Location: Denmark

Post by McRINdk » Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:39 am

Finally after months of doing other things I'm back onto my 18Ux104 case build.

I've just finished the staining of the birch ply in a walnut oil stain over a diluted shellac sealer coat. I'm pretty happy with the results for my first staining effort even if it has some glue over run spots.

Now comes the PSU and distro board wiring. 3x Doepfer PSU3s and 6 synthrotech distro boards with some form of bus bar for low impedance common 0V.

I have also made two skiffs that can either sit on top and/or in front flat. I can also just load them for the road. One is 3U (permanent Percussion) and one 6U (Holiday skiff)

Once Ive confirmed it all fits together and works I will post the AI files and my final PSU and wiring diagram.

Image

2 months ago

Image

today

User avatar
sutekina bipu-on
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 877
Joined: Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:24 pm
Location: USA

Post by sutekina bipu-on » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:47 pm

Nothing amazing here but i wanted to see if i could make a little skiff for my controller modules from a small bamboo box and it worked out fine. 70hp with threaded rails and its nice n cute.

Image
Image

electricanada
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1086
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:26 am
Location: Norfolk, VA

Post by electricanada » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:48 pm

noisewreck wrote:
intafon wrote:Has anyone used an old Univac for a modular synth case? :eek:

Image
Smoked Eurorack?
Would be kind of a shame to destroy such a beautiful antique machine. Surely it's worth more in its original state.
Eléctrica (electric) Nāda (the yoga of sound).

User avatar
squarewavesurfer
Common Wiggler
Posts: 238
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:43 pm

Post by squarewavesurfer » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:30 am

My newly refreshed Mutable Instruments case. It started as a boring gray used audio visual carrying case covered in sticker residue and glued foam inserts.

Before: inspired by the back to the future plutonium case, it held modules from various brands as my collection grew beyond my single doepfer a-100p9 case.
Image

After: after diving into the DIY world I got into smd and began expanding my Mutable Instruments collection to the point I had more than enough to fill this case so I thought I would extend the Mutable theme into the case's colour scheme.

Image
Image
Image
Image

User avatar
dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1405
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:31 pm
Location: lovettsville, va
Contact:

Post by dooj88 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:38 am

that case is super cool, but i'm far too ocd about mixing metal and black panels to say i like that part. i get that it's more expensive to DIY a metal panel though.

User avatar
squarewavesurfer
Common Wiggler
Posts: 238
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:43 pm

Post by squarewavesurfer » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:54 am

dooj88 wrote:that case is super cool, but i'm far too ocd about mixing metal and black panels to say i like that part. i get that it's more expensive to DIY a metal panel though.
They are all painted metal (with the exception of the mikrophonie and ears), the gray are factory MI and the black are magpie modular. I would have preferred all factory panels as I think they are some of the best looking panels in eurorack. That is why I have a hard time with the idea replacing them with magpie black panels for the sake of a uniform look. The struggle is real haha.

User avatar
MvK
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 411
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:46 am
Location: Berlin

Post by MvK » Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:23 am

hey, does anybody know where to get these?

Image

Edit: don't really know how to embed fb pics. I've uploaded it now to MW
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
We are the Borg. Resistance is equal to voltage divided by current.
https://soundcloud.com/logic_not
current 9U: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/428567
Skiff: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/818039

Paul_N
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:30 pm

Post by Paul_N » Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:10 pm

I’m curious to get feedback on a DIY case project I’ve been trying to build. I scored a decent Halliburton on eBay (18x13x6) that I can fit 6U @ 84hp for both top and bottom (12u total). My vision is for a 98% verbos setup, a kinda modern easel with a mini horse.

I have the rails, 6U frames, Strom power supply and am itching to attach the rails. My biggest hesitation is drilling through the case as it is permanent. I keep thinking that maybe there is a way to do this that would allow me to use tension to attach the rails, and maybe some vibration dampening (rubber?) material. Being able to adjust the height would also be a huge bonus.

It’s a pretty tight setup as is, maybe I’m asking too much. Any thoughts/suggestions?

User avatar
pekbro
Common Wiggler
Posts: 163
Joined: Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:16 am
Location: Maui

Post by pekbro » Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:12 am

Paul_N wrote:I’m curious to get feedback on a DIY case project I’ve been trying to build. I scored a decent Halliburton on eBay (18x13x6) that I can fit 6U @ 84hp for both top and bottom (12u total). My vision is for a 98% verbos setup, a kinda modern easel with a mini horse.

I have the rails, 6U frames, Strom power supply and am itching to attach the rails. My biggest hesitation is drilling through the case as it is permanent. I keep thinking that maybe there is a way to do this that would allow me to use tension to attach the rails, and maybe some vibration dampening (rubber?) material. Being able to adjust the height would also be a huge bonus.

It’s a pretty tight setup as is, maybe I’m asking too much. Any thoughts/suggestions?
Sounds like you're going to have some empty space around the rails?
Couldn't you frame the rails and side plates with wood, acrylic or
even sheet metal. Surely there is some nook or lip that you could
use to leverage against for a tension lock. Assuming there are no
existing fasteners you could anchor to.

I just built a case with Acrylic for the back wall that is mostly tension
locked, it isn't going anywhere believe me.

Image

Paul_N
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:30 pm

Post by Paul_N » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:14 am

While I’m trying to figure out a way to get the Halliburton briefcase figured out, I threw some rails into my initial purchase - one of the original Halliburton suitcases. It is 9U @ 115hp.

I learned a lot in the process and can confirm that removing the adhesive under the liner is just as difficult as everyone had said over the years. I got as much off as I could, but eventually gave up. The hinge was difficult to remove, but eventually came out, and I had to drill out the rivets to remove the backing panel and the lid all together.

I used about 1/4” thick rubber to sit between the rails & suitcase to absorb some vibration/shock. I used a Strom+ power setup and dropped some modules in.

It’s a cool setup, but it has really sold me on a 12U @ 84HP briefcase verse 9U@115hp suitcase. The suitcase is really big; I see why people have cut the case down to make it shallower. I’m tempted to do the same, but don’t have the right tools.

Image
[/img]

noodlesoup
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:41 pm
Location: MA

Post by noodlesoup » Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:27 pm

Someday I'll get a power supply for this and actually use it. 10U, 104hp with air gap top and bottom. Features to come are a lid compartment for patch cables and power brick, and a way to prop the bottom on the top at different angles. Sides are dinged up rough 19/32" sheathing ply joined with glue and pocket joints. Top and bottom are 1/4" ply, will add aluminum angle stock to reinforce. Penn Elcom hardware, Rust-Oleum Hammered Antique Pewter Spray Paint finish, not enough layers to get seriously hammered. I got bored, but the finish is plenty durable as-is.

Image

Image

It'll house a Neutron and this stuff overflowing from a loaner PL LunchBox. Overflow modules lovingly isolated with cereal box and gaffer tape:

Image

BlinkyLights
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 317
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:16 am

Post by BlinkyLights » Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:58 am

This is the current state of my DIY/Pedalboard Case build.

9Ux114hp in the deep/back half.and another 3Ux114 in the shallow/front/lid half (as well as the BSPro, Zillion, 3 pedals, Volca, and an old iPhone).

Whole case is basically 24"x16"x6".

The whole top row and the Boog won't be staying in this case, but for now it's full of these things while I wait on other modules to be delivered. In the middle of re-patching now:

Image

BlinkyLights
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 317
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:16 am

Post by BlinkyLights » Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:04 am

Paul_N wrote:While I’m trying to figure out a way to get the Halliburton briefcase figured out, I threw some rails into my initial purchase - one of the original Halliburton suitcases. It is 9U @ 115hp.

I learned a lot in the process and can confirm that removing the adhesive under the liner is just as difficult as everyone had said over the years. I got as much off as I could, but eventually gave up. The hinge was difficult to remove, but eventually came out, and I had to drill out the rivets to remove the backing panel and the lid all together.

I used about 1/4” thick rubber to sit between the rails & suitcase to absorb some vibration/shock. I used a Strom+ power setup and dropped some modules in.

It’s a cool setup, but it has really sold me on a 12U @ 84HP briefcase verse 9U@115hp suitcase. The suitcase is really big; I see why people have cut the case down to make it shallower. I’m tempted to do the same, but don’t have the right tools.

Image
[/img]
Love it.

My current DIY case is 9Ux114 and kind of a cheap case, was thinking about upgrading its shell to the same Haliburton suitcase you're using. Love the case full of Verbos, too.

User avatar
eewok typoq
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:34 pm
Location: Belgium

Post by eewok typoq » Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:46 am

Hi Wigglers !

I'm actually considering to do a small batch of DIY/customizable live/travel skiff.
If you feel like give it an eye, it's gonna take you no more than 5 minutes and can help me a lot to know where all this is worth it or not.

Thanks !!

:goo:

https://forms.gle/3PkWNXuLGejXLWyT6

Pharmgrinder
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:27 pm
Location: New England

First Build

Post by Pharmgrinder » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:20 pm

This is my first case and I am new to modular. The case was intended to be something heavy duty. It was supposed take a while to fill up, be able to power anything, and have room to house the deepest of modules. Also I wanted it to have a door on the back.
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image :headbang:

User avatar
Foghorn
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 916
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:53 pm
Location: near Col, OH

Re: First Build

Post by Foghorn » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:45 am

Pharmgrinder wrote:This is my first case and I am new to modular. The case was intended to be something heavy duty. It was supposed take a while to fill up, be able to power anything, and have room to house the deepest of modules. Also I wanted it to have a door on the back.
Image

:headbang:
Ha!.....good luck

Nice case, very nice.
I like your power solution.
Door on the back is also a great idea.
Welcome to Eurorack, I fear you have fallen down the rabbit hole. :doh:

Foghorn
I'm not sure what's going on, but, well ah crap..what now?
.......Not really a musician.......

Pharmgrinder
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:27 pm
Location: New England

Re: First Build

Post by Pharmgrinder » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:49 am

Ha!.....good luck

Nice case, very nice.
I like your power solution.
Door on the back is also a great idea.
Welcome to Eurorack, I fear you have fallen down the rabbit hole. :doh:

Foghorn[/quote]

Thanks Foghorn.
Even as I was building it, I was beginning to have my doubts about the size. I have a family though, so I can't add modules real fast. Could always say goodbye to them....hmmmm? [joke] I have no doubts there will be another case someday. Playing with VCV is what gave me the fever so I know how addictive its going to be. I'm in love with it all.

User avatar
dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1405
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:31 pm
Location: lovettsville, va
Contact:

Post by dooj88 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:55 am

i friggin love this thread. so many cool ideas in here.

User avatar
cackland
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1871
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:42 pm
Location: Los Angeles, California

Post by cackland » Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:04 pm

Nice case Pharmgrinder

User avatar
Bamboombaps
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 386
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:14 am
Location: Glasgow

Post by Bamboombaps » Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:03 pm

looks great! id love to have a go at making one like this
McRINdk wrote:Finally after months of doing other things I'm back onto my 18Ux104 case build.

I've just finished the staining of the birch ply in a walnut oil stain over a diluted shellac sealer coat. I'm pretty happy with the results for my first staining effort even if it has some glue over run spots.

Now comes the PSU and distro board wiring. 3x Doepfer PSU3s and 6 synthrotech distro boards with some form of bus bar for low impedance common 0V.

I have also made two skiffs that can either sit on top and/or in front flat. I can also just load them for the road. One is 3U (permanent Percussion) and one 6U (Holiday skiff)

Once Ive confirmed it all fits together and works I will post the AI files and my final PSU and wiring diagram.

Image

2 months ago

Image

today

User avatar
soggybag
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 280
Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:57 pm
Location: San Francisco

Post by soggybag » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:37 pm

I’m planning a case. It seems there are few ways to attach rails.

1) use an end bracket. A flat piece of aluminum with a few holes. The rails are bolted to the bracket and the bracket is held to the inner wall of the case with screws.

2) no end bracket. The rails are secured by bolts through the side of the case into the ends of the rails.

Anyone have any insights they would like to share about the process of attaching rails?

I’m leaning towards method 2 at the moment.

conscious
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 456
Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:03 am

Post by conscious » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:59 pm

i had brackets the last time, now im without.
WIth bracketst the mounting in the case was easier, but alwys feared there could be a short.

Post Reply

Return to “Eurorack Modules”