the DIY cases thread!

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Post Reply
User avatar
Foghorn
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 910
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:53 pm
Location: near Col, OH

Post by Foghorn » Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:14 pm

soggybag wrote:I’m planning a case. It seems there are few ways to attach rails.

1) use an end bracket. A flat piece of aluminum with a few holes. The rails are bolted to the bracket and the bracket is held to the inner wall of the case with screws.

2) no end bracket. The rails are secured by bolts through the side of the case into the ends of the rails.

Anyone have any insights they would like to share about the process of attaching rails?

I’m leaning towards method 2 at the moment.
If you use the brackets, you can:

• Move them around at a later date (adjust them) without drilling more holes through the outside of the case.

• Finish the outside of the case without dealing with screw heads.

• Have the spacing of rails automatically set correctly by the manufactured brackets.

• Pull the entire row out (with most of the modules installed) by simply unscrewing the bracket.

• Probably a few other things that I can not think of right now.

I guess you can tell that I prefer the brackets, but it is your case, make it whatever way suits you the best.

•• And best of luck

Foghorn

A case that I made, it is 7U X 168 hp
The case on the bottom, it has a Pittsburgh EP-360 bolted on top of it.

Image
I'm not sure what's going on, but, well ah crap..what now?
.......Not really a musician.......

User avatar
Haralds:Werk
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 268
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:33 am
Location: Germany
Contact:

12Ux84TE in custom made case

Post by Haralds:Werk » Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:25 am

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image
www.haraldswerk.de
Home of Next Generation Formant

roolbg
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 30
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:24 am

Post by roolbg » Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:31 pm

Image

Found a toolbox that fits 84hp just right.

User avatar
soggybag
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 280
Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:57 pm
Location: San Francisco

Post by soggybag » Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:50 pm

I started building a new case, I’m looking for input as to how deep i should make it. The current plan is 4”.

Is that too deep or not deep enough, or does it fit wide enough use case?

The plan is to make a wall mounted wooden frame with no lid. The modules will be flush with the top. Power will be inside the case. I’m using a Trogotronic m15, so it will two of those black plastic bricks inside the case along with the bus boards.

I’ll lose an 1/8” to 1/4” of depth to the back cover.

104hp by 9u by 4” is what I have sketched out on paper.

User avatar
pekbro
Common Wiggler
Posts: 162
Joined: Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:16 am
Location: Maui

Post by pekbro » Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:14 pm

4 in is pretty deep, not many modules over 100 mm deep. Though I’m pretty
sure I’ve seen at least 1. I can’t recall what it was.

It’s a nice even depth tho, personally I wouldn’t go less than that,
unless I had a specific need.

User avatar
soggybag
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 280
Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:57 pm
Location: San Francisco

Post by soggybag » Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:10 pm

Thanks for the sanity check. 4” feels about right. Though I these 12” boards I could cut to 3” and get more wood out of them.

I think the deepest module I have is 2.25” with an 1.5” for the power and another 0.25” back board thats 4” exactly.

User avatar
Randy
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1839
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:50 pm
Location: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada

Post by Randy » Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:36 pm

Mine are 5" deep. Overkill perhaps but I have alot of DIY modules and a few, such as some of the Yusynth stuff, is quite deep, and would not have fit 4".

I figured I'd make allowances for the busboards and the Meanwell power supplies, so I can put any module anywhere. But they are deep.

User avatar
pekbro
Common Wiggler
Posts: 162
Joined: Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:16 am
Location: Maui

Post by pekbro » Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:44 pm

For the current 6U case I made, I went 6 and 4 to make
a nice but pretty shallow angle as I wanted to use
it on its side mostly. Tho it is kinda reversible. It works
equally well standing on its edge.

User avatar
Orgia Mode
Common Wiggler
Posts: 105
Joined: Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:24 pm

Post by Orgia Mode » Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:11 pm

pekbro wrote:4 in is pretty deep, not many modules over 100 mm deep. Though I’m pretty
sure I’ve seen at least 1. I can’t recall what it was.

It’s a nice even depth tho, personally I wouldn’t go less than that,
unless I had a specific need.
Commercial modules try to stay pretty shallow, but if you're into DIY kits, some of those boards (MFOS for example) like to mount at a 90deg angle to the faceplate. 5U is usually worse, but I just clicked on a random mfos board which was 5" x 3" and tey actually had it mounted in a way that made it 5" deep. :lol:

Again, thats just some of the DIY market. I think 4" will cover the majority of modules.

User avatar
pekbro
Common Wiggler
Posts: 162
Joined: Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:16 am
Location: Maui

Post by pekbro » Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:56 am

Orgia Mode wrote:
Commercial modules try to stay pretty shallow, but if you're into DIY kits, some of those boards (MFOS for example) like to mount at a 90deg angle to the faceplate. 5U is usually worse, but I just clicked on a random mfos board which was 5" x 3" and tey actually had it mounted in a way that made it 5" deep. :lol:

Again, thats just some of the DIY market. I think 4" will cover the majority of modules.
Definitely, it all boils down to your needs now and in the future.
This is one reason I like to use hardwood instead of plywood, the wood for
one case generally runs me about $8, depending on the type of wood.
This way, it's not a big deal to change configurations whenever, since I
have all the hardware in place.

Of course, I'm not making large cases as I prefer multiple small ones.

wtk
Common Wiggler
Posts: 59
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:21 am
Location: czech

Post by wtk » Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:24 pm

2x nlc lasercut 168hp 6u skiff and base for it designed by me.
Image

User avatar
diode_destroyer
Common Wiggler
Posts: 184
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:08 pm
Location: Kansas

Re: the DIY cases thread!

Post by diode_destroyer » Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:24 am

Heigh ho, case building noob here. So I have a Pittsburgh Structure EP-420 that I really like, but want it....bigger. Maybe like a 15U, 140ish/row so total of 700 HP case

Current DIY case plan (advise if crazy):

get some rails: vector rails (30 inches, 5 pairs, I can saw/shorten if needed): mouser # 574-TS300 $140
get some nuts: 4-40 sliding nuts: mouser # 574-NT4-7PA, 400 nuts is about $108.50
get some 3U brackets to hold rails: maybe http://pulplogic.com/product/case-bracket-kits/? Are these strong enough? 5 pairs x $20 each = $100
Do some wood (or make my brother do it) in the style of Goike: 15u one http://www.goike.com/node/5
Power? Not sure, maybe 2 or 3 Doepfer A-100PSU3 with bus boards, or the tiptop zeus studio bus x 5 for $650 but would like more plugs per row...help!

User avatar
pekbro
Common Wiggler
Posts: 162
Joined: Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:16 am
Location: Maui

Re: the DIY cases thread!

Post by pekbro » Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:55 pm

diode_destroyer wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:24 am
Heigh ho, case building noob here. So I have a Pittsburgh Structure EP-420 that I really like, but want it....bigger. Maybe like a 15U, 140ish/row so total of 700 HP case

Current DIY case plan (advise if crazy):

get some rails: vector rails (30 inches, 5 pairs, I can saw/shorten if needed): mouser # 574-TS300 $140
get some nuts: 4-40 sliding nuts: mouser # 574-NT4-7PA, 400 nuts is about $108.50
get some 3U brackets to hold rails: maybe http://pulplogic.com/product/case-bracket-kits/? Are these strong enough? 5 pairs x $20 each = $100
Do some wood (or make my brother do it) in the style of Goike: 15u one http://www.goike.com/node/5
Power? Not sure, maybe 2 or 3 Doepfer A-100PSU3 with bus boards, or the tiptop zeus studio bus x 5 for $650 but would like more plugs per row...help!
Probably be cheaper to just get another structure 420 case. That said, cant imagine any issues with your plan.
There are many options for power though, no doubt you could shave off some cost or increase it along with
it's quality (which, in my mind, would be one of the primary reasons to make such an enclosure).

BTW: ime, some case manufacturers will be willing to sell their power systems minus the case for DIY stuff
if asked. You might be surprised at how much of the cost of the product is in the case itself vs the power
system.

User avatar
KittenVillage
Common Wiggler
Posts: 123
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:30 am
Contact:

Re: the DIY cases thread!

Post by KittenVillage » Wed Dec 25, 2019 8:25 pm

diode_destroyer wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:24 am
Heigh ho, case building noob here. So I have a Pittsburgh Structure EP-420 that I really like, but want it....bigger. Maybe like a 15U, 140ish/row so total of 700 HP case

Current DIY case plan (advise if crazy):

get some rails: vector rails (30 inches, 5 pairs, I can saw/shorten if needed): mouser # 574-TS300 $140
get some nuts: 4-40 sliding nuts: mouser # 574-NT4-7PA, 400 nuts is about $108.50
get some 3U brackets to hold rails: maybe http://pulplogic.com/product/case-bracket-kits/? Are these strong enough? 5 pairs x $20 each = $100
Do some wood (or make my brother do it) in the style of Goike: 15u one http://www.goike.com/node/5
Power? Not sure, maybe 2 or 3 Doepfer A-100PSU3 with bus boards, or the tiptop zeus studio bus x 5 for $650 but would like more plugs per row...help!
You may want to look at this case design from NLC https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1206334 , you can maybe get a good idea of 'the curve' you want. (It's what I'm going for.)

That's way, way too much for nuts! Maybe you have your heart set on 4-40. You can get 100 x M3 (or M2.5) for $6 at various places (like Pulplogic.) I would not get nuts from Mouser.


Eurorack is an exercise in delayed desire.

User avatar
Mark II
Common Wiggler
Posts: 182
Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:56 pm
Location: Tilbury, on a chair

Re: the DIY cases thread!

Post by Mark II » Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:09 am

From plank to skiff. 126 hp solid oak with modified external power unit. Design by mr Goike - thank you for sharing.

IMG_1264.jpeg
IMG_1265.jpeg
IMG_1267.jpeg
IMG_1269.jpeg

Finished product
IMG_1295 (1).jpeg
IMG_1296 (1).jpeg
IMG_1297 (1).jpeg
IMG_1300 (1).jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Mark II on Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
The thing is to put a motor in yourself - fz

User avatar
Mark II
Common Wiggler
Posts: 182
Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:56 pm
Location: Tilbury, on a chair

Re: the DIY cases thread!

Post by Mark II » Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:48 pm

diode_destroyer wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:24 am
get some nuts: 4-40 sliding nuts: mouser # 574-NT4-7PA, 400 nuts is about $108.50
Sliding nuts will drive you crazy above 84hp. With 140 hp, go for threaded strips. You’ll pay less than the mouser nuts
The thing is to put a motor in yourself - fz

Caspar
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:21 pm
Location: Linz, Austria

Re: the DIY cases thread!

Post by Caspar » Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:26 am

i guess this is the right place to share this:
finally my minibrute mod eurorack case is close to be done!
recently fitted a meanwell psu behind the synth panel and added the extension jacks to the brute (on the right)
still got to do nice power distribution boards...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
ziovinos
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:13 pm
Location: Greece
Contact:

Re: the DIY cases thread!

Post by ziovinos » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:17 am

104HP 12U ergonomically designed eurorack case. Depending on your position, standing or sitting, you can flip the case both sides.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Schrank
Common Wiggler
Posts: 99
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:40 pm
Location: Switzerland

Re: the DIY cases thread!

Post by Schrank » Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:03 pm

Mark II wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:09 am
From plank to skiff. 126 hp solid oak with modified external power unit. Design by mr Goike - thank you for sharing


IMG_1295 (1).jpegIMG_1296 (1).jpegIMG_1297 (1).jpegIMG_1300 (1).jpeg
Beautyful :love:
May I ask what power supply you are using, is it off the shelf or DIY?

User avatar
Mark II
Common Wiggler
Posts: 182
Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:56 pm
Location: Tilbury, on a chair

Re: the DIY cases thread!

Post by Mark II » Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:30 pm

Schrank wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:03 pm
Mark II wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:09 am
From plank to skiff. 126 hp solid oak with modified external power unit. Design by mr Goike - thank you for sharing


IMG_1295 (1).jpegIMG_1296 (1).jpegIMG_1297 (1).jpegIMG_1300 (1).jpeg
Beautyful :love:
May I ask what power supply you are using, is it off the shelf or DIY?
Thank you.

The power supply is a regular Meanwell switching one that I tweaked the casing off to fit in a standard 100mm width extruded aluminium enclosure.
The thing is to put a motor in yourself - fz

galaxie
Common Wiggler
Posts: 110
Joined: Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:36 pm

Re: the DIY cases thread!

Post by galaxie » Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:33 am

@Mark II.
Nice case you made. And I learn from your steps and pictures. Thanks.

mjpowers
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:45 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: the DIY cases thread!

Post by mjpowers » Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:43 am

Finished this oak case last weekend. Depth is 80mm on the bottom, 110mm on the top row. Innards are a Doepfer A-100 DIY kit. Now I just need to save money for some modules!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mrgrimm
Common Wiggler
Posts: 91
Joined: Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:08 am

Re: the DIY cases thread!

Post by mrgrimm » Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:50 am

Mark II wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:09 am
From plank to skiff. 126 hp solid oak with modified external power unit. Design by mr Goike - thank you for sharing
what is that external power supply? looks marvelous!

Schrank
Common Wiggler
Posts: 99
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:40 pm
Location: Switzerland

Re: the DIY cases thread!

Post by Schrank » Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:35 am

mrgrimm wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:50 am
Mark II wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:09 am
From plank to skiff. 126 hp solid oak with modified external power unit. Design by mr Goike - thank you for sharing
what is that external power supply? looks marvelous!
Mark II wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:30 pm
Schrank wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:03 pm
Mark II wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:09 am
From plank to skiff. 126 hp solid oak with modified external power unit. Design by mr Goike - thank you for sharing


IMG_1295 (1).jpegIMG_1296 (1).jpegIMG_1297 (1).jpegIMG_1300 (1).jpeg
Beautyful :love:
May I ask what power supply you are using, is it off the shelf or DIY?
Thank you.

The power supply is a regular Meanwell switching one that I tweaked the casing off to fit in a standard 100mm width extruded aluminium enclosure.

User avatar
cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 3673
Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:48 am
Location: People's Republic of Scotland

Re: the DIY cases thread!

Post by cptnal » Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:36 am

mjpowers wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:43 am
Finished this oak case last weekend. Depth is 80mm on the bottom, 110mm on the top row. Innards are a Doepfer A-100 DIY kit. Now I just need to save money for some modules!
'tis a thing of beauty. Nice work! :tu:

Post Reply

Return to “Eurorack Modules”