the DIY cases thread!

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Post Reply
User avatar
pekbro
Common Wiggler
Posts: 162
Joined: Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:16 am
Location: Maui

Re: the DIY cases thread!

Post by pekbro » Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:58 pm

mjpowers wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:43 am
Finished this oak case last weekend. Depth is 80mm on the bottom, 110mm on the top row. Innards are a Doepfer A-100 DIY kit. Now I just need to save money for some modules!
Very nice, what did you finish that with. Looks great,
I got a couple unfinished oak cases and I need to do
that.

mjpowers
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:45 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: the DIY cases thread!

Post by mjpowers » Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:56 pm

pekbro wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:58 pm
Very nice, what did you finish that with. Looks great,
I got a couple unfinished oak cases and I need to do
that.
The stain is MinWax Wood Finish in Red Oak 215. The varnish is 2 coats of Sherwin Williams polyurethane, Satin Clear 102-1245. (The latter might have come with the house—it had gone chunk-style and needed a lot of stirring and shaking before I could use it.)

User avatar
pekbro
Common Wiggler
Posts: 162
Joined: Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:16 am
Location: Maui

Re: the DIY cases thread!

Post by pekbro » Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:28 am

mjpowers wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:56 pm
pekbro wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:58 pm
Very nice, what did you finish that with. Looks great,
I got a couple unfinished oak cases and I need to do
that.
The stain is MinWax Wood Finish in Red Oak 215. The varnish is 2 coats of Sherwin Williams polyurethane, Satin Clear 102-1245. (The latter might have come with the house—it had gone chunk-style and needed a lot of stirring and shaking before I could use it.)
Awesome thanks! Gotta get myself some of that :tu:

stylesforfree
Common Wiggler
Posts: 197
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:11 pm
Location: Merseyside

Re:

Post by stylesforfree » Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:21 am

roolbg wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:31 pm
Image

Found a toolbox that fits 84hp just right.
I need something like this but for 12u. Where did you buy the toolbox?

Can anyone in the UK link me to a decent case with a lid that might fit a 12U 84HP rack please?

roolbg
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 30
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:24 am

Re: Re:

Post by roolbg » Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:33 pm

stylesforfree wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:21 am

I need something like this but for 12u. Where did you buy the toolbox?

Can anyone in the UK link me to a decent case with a lid that might fit a 12U 84HP rack please?
https://www.clasohlson.com/uk/Service-Case/p/40-9776

I reckon at most it could take 10u.

User avatar
ToddOMG
Common Wiggler
Posts: 76
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:22 am
Location: San Diego
Contact:

Re: the DIY cases thread!

Post by ToddOMG » Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:36 pm

Has anyone made an intellijel 7u case WITH the midi and line out jacks on the back? How did you secure the PCB from intellijel? They told me they *may* be able to sell me one.

stylesforfree
Common Wiggler
Posts: 197
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:11 pm
Location: Merseyside

Re: Re:

Post by stylesforfree » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:06 pm

roolbg wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:33 pm
stylesforfree wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:21 am

I need something like this but for 12u. Where did you buy the toolbox?

Can anyone in the UK link me to a decent case with a lid that might fit a 12U 84HP rack please?
https://www.clasohlson.com/uk/Service-Case/p/40-9776

I reckon at most it could take 10u.
Ah, damn. Nevertheless, thank you for the link.

User avatar
didahdrieghe
Common Wiggler
Posts: 208
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:22 am
Location: Belgium

Re: the DIY cases thread!

Post by didahdrieghe » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:29 pm

Still very much in love with these cases my stepdad made for me. Handpolished aluminium sides and hardwood front/top panels.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
GGW
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 602
Joined: Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:31 am

Re: the DIY cases thread!

Post by GGW » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:50 pm

Very nice. The wood and metal go great together. That looks like roasted maple?

User avatar
didahdrieghe
Common Wiggler
Posts: 208
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:22 am
Location: Belgium

Re: the DIY cases thread!

Post by didahdrieghe » Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:53 am

Agreed! It's birdseye maple iirc.

User avatar
pekbro
Common Wiggler
Posts: 162
Joined: Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:16 am
Location: Maui

Re: the DIY cases thread!

Post by pekbro » Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:33 pm

Definitely that's super nice. I love aluminum cases, I'd like to make something similar, but 1/2 " or even 1/4 " aluminum
plates have proven hard to come by in these parts.

User avatar
presidentofvice
Common Wiggler
Posts: 92
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:07 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Re: the DIY cases thread!

Post by presidentofvice » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:19 am

didahdrieghe wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:29 pm
Still very much in love with these cases my stepdad made for me. Handpolished aluminium sides and hardwood front/top panels.
looks great!

User avatar
SonicVoltage
Common Wiggler
Posts: 162
Joined: Sun May 21, 2017 9:25 am
Contact:

Re: the DIY cases thread!

Post by SonicVoltage » Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:30 am

Not a full eurorack case build but a simple DIY attachment which for now feels nice and stable.

I wanted to place my two Doepfer LC9 Cases 'at an angle' on top of the Monster Cases. I needed them in two possible amount of forward-tilt
- slightly angled forward for when I stand up in front of the case
- more pronounced forward-tilt so I can reach and use the upper case modules even when I sit down at the desk, in front of the case

I only had one rule... only use left-over parts. So I didn't invest time into 'making' wooden parts, etc...

Some images attached...

Here the video on the simple case mod
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mafouka
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 415
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:26 pm
Location: CA

I feel like this is the best thread on muff's

Post by mafouka » Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:21 pm

Can someone kindly point me the way to the cheapest US sources for the following:
  • 6u brackets / cheeks
  • Rails (custom length cut to order)
  • M3 sliding nuts
  • M3 screws
  • Nylon washers
這一生中有多少人擦肩而過?而朋友是多麼可貴啊

User avatar
circuitburst
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 366
Joined: Mon May 16, 2016 11:17 am
Location: California

Re: I feel like this is the best thread on muff's

Post by circuitburst » Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:08 pm

mafouka wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:21 pm
Can someone kindly point me the way to the cheapest US sources for the following:
  • 6u brackets / cheeks
  • Rails (custom length cut to order)
  • M3 sliding nuts
  • M3 screws
  • Nylon washers
Synthrotek has a good selection and prices:
https://store.synthrotek.com/Cases-and- ... c_178.html
https://store.synthrotek.com/_c_68.html
"make the events occur that you want to occur" - the black dog

https://soundcloud.com/circuitburst
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/295055
:boat: World Map of Eurorack Module Manufacturers: https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewe ... 9IMDP34-ao
World Map of Eurorack Module Physical Shops: https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewe ... gfSeJ6wVIG

mjpowers
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:45 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: the DIY cases thread!

Post by mjpowers » Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:47 pm

didahdrieghe wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:29 pm
Still very much in love with these cases my stepdad made for me. Handpolished aluminium sides and hardwood front/top panels.
That's gorgeous.

noisewreck
Common Wiggler
Posts: 155
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:51 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Re: I feel like this is the best thread on muff's

Post by noisewreck » Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:36 pm

mafouka wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:21 pm
Can someone kindly point me the way to the cheapest US sources for the following:
  • 6u brackets / cheeks
  • Rails (custom length cut to order)
  • M3 sliding nuts
  • M3 screws
  • Nylon washers
http://pulplogic.com/product/case-bracket-kits/

These are specifically made for the Vector rails. So if that’s what you’re gonna do, you’ll need M2.5 screws and nuts

unclebastard
Common Wiggler
Posts: 191
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:07 am

Re: the DIY cases thread!

Post by unclebastard » Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:28 am

Do any DIY wigglers have any experience or advice with the Befaco Lunchbus?
https://www.befaco.org/en/lunch-bus/
I'm asking because I have a Clas Ohlson instrument case
https://www.clasohlson.com/uk/Instrumen ... r408469000
which I am considering putting 5uX59HP rails in for effects and utilities to patch into my existing modules.
Good deals with: Eremitalf, ben_hex, matttech, Elevator Sound

User avatar
mrbloor
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1154
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:59 am
Location: London
Contact:

Re: the DIY cases thread!

Post by mrbloor » Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:24 am

AGA Geodimeter case repurposed into 6u 86hp with Doepfer psu3.
20200222_132306_resized.jpg
20200222_132321_resized.jpg
20200222_132358_resized.jpg
20200222_132257_resized.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
McRINdk
Common Wiggler
Posts: 98
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:01 am
Location: Denmark

Almost there.

Post by McRINdk » Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:59 pm

Slow process this one but today had a chance to make some progress.
Today I finished the, rail mounting, the trimstrips (green cloth),PSUs Mounting , alu shields built and wounted, distribution boards mounting, mains side wiring. Next is the dc side wiring, ground bus bar aand testing.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
charonme
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 321
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:35 am
Location: BA, Slovakia (EU)

Re: the DIY cases thread!

Post by charonme » Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:51 am

2x41hp

Image

I haven't found a suitable lunchbox briefcase, so instead I got this https://www.vkf-renzel.com/aluminium-ca ... 126-1.html (none of their photos show this one tho)
spotify, bandcamp
Heptaphasis - DIY 3HP 7-phase quadrature sine LFO

User avatar
McRINdk
Common Wiggler
Posts: 98
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:01 am
Location: Denmark

18U 104HP Case Complete, Plans attached

Post by McRINdk » Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:34 am

DC Wiring side complete. Testing complete (all works). Unfortunately I blew a 5v fuse when testing 5v rail on distro, shorting it to ground with sloppy use of the multimeter probes.

Now I have to wait for the damn fuses to arrive before populating it.

I've attached the plan files. One with detail and one clean for cutting. Feel free to use.

GRRRR
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by McRINdk on Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

unclebastard
Common Wiggler
Posts: 191
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:07 am

Re: the DIY cases thread!

Post by unclebastard » Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:37 am

unclebastard wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:28 am
Do any DIY wigglers have any experience or advice with the Befaco Lunchbus?
https://www.befaco.org/en/lunch-bus/
I'm asking because I have a Clas Ohlson instrument case
https://www.clasohlson.com/uk/Instrumen ... r408469000
which I am considering putting 5uX59HP rails in for effects and utilities to patch into my existing modules.
Anyone? I would have thought that with 100 pages of posts someone would have used this power supply by now.
:sstorm:
Good deals with: Eremitalf, ben_hex, matttech, Elevator Sound

User avatar
KittenVillage
Common Wiggler
Posts: 123
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:30 am
Contact:

Re: 18U 104HP Case Complete, Plans attached

Post by KittenVillage » Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:13 am

McRINdk wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:34 am
DC Wiring side complete. Testing complete (all works). Unfortunately I blew a 5v fuse when testing 5v rail on distro, shorting it to ground with sloppy use of the multimeter probes.

Now I have to wait for the damn fuses to arrive before populating it.

I've attached the plan files. One with detail and one clean for cutting. Feel free to use.

GRRRR
I'm working on a 12u, kinda similar case. I see you put a square dowel at the very top! I had a very similar issue and put one on the bottom at the front yesterday.


Eurorack is an exercise in delayed desire.

User avatar
McRINdk
Common Wiggler
Posts: 98
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:01 am
Location: Denmark

Re: 18U 104HP Case Complete, Plans attached

Post by McRINdk » Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:32 am

KittenVillage wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:13 am
McRINdk wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:34 am
DC Wiring side complete. Testing complete (all works). Unfortunately I blew a 5v fuse when testing 5v rail on distro, shorting it to ground with sloppy use of the multimeter probes.

Now I have to wait for the damn fuses to arrive before populating it.

I've attached the plan files. One with detail and one clean for cutting. Feel free to use.

GRRRR
I'm working on a 12u, kinda similar case. I see you put a square dowel at the very top! I had a very similar issue and put one on the bottom at the front yesterday.

Yes. And both covered in a green cloth (it’s a thing now in my cases).

The one between 1st and 2nd Row was so the knurlies don't clash due to the angle of the two rows.

The one at the top was so I had some options. 1, I could remove it altogether if I needed more air flow. 2, I had a concept for a slide out led strip light arrangement that I my build later. 3, it provided a visual balance with the bottom one.

Post Reply

Return to “Eurorack Modules”