the DIY cases thread!

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Shakespeare
Wiggling with Experience

Re: the DIY cases thread!

Post by Shakespeare » Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:12 pm

Nice!

circuitburst
Wiggling with Experience

Post by circuitburst » Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:48 am

synthinker wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:00 pm
My 7U 84HP laser cut Plywood case:
Impressive, well done! :yay: :tu:
"make the events occur that you want to occur" - the black dog

https://soundcloud.com/circuitburst
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/295055
:boat: World Map of Eurorack Module Manufacturers: https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewe ... 9IMDP34-ao
World Map of Eurorack Module Physical Shops: https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewe ... gfSeJ6wVIG

Midiot
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Midiot » Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:02 pm

My purpose=made drone machine
126hp x2.
Made in my apartment, with Festool tools.
The wood is African Mahogany, and stained with alcohol dyes then an oil-based stain, then clear-coated with shellac sealer, and finally a water-based oil-modified gloss clearcoat.
20201102_112521[1].jpg
20201102_112511[1].jpg
DC power enters the case via Neutrik "PowerCon" connectors, with an exterior +12v/-12v.....6A switching power supply.
Internal busbar is an ACL "EVE" strip, plus an additional 4MS shrouded BusStick (because so many modules).
I like the unique hex-head 3" black wood screws.
I still need to make an adjustable angled stand......right now it just sits flat.
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1208305
"We'll be living in all the oceans now."
(type of music I make.... drone atmospheres, deep late-night beats.)

pekbro
Wiggling with Experience

Post by pekbro » Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:29 pm

Midiot wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:02 pm
126hp x2.
The wood is African Mahogany, and stained with alcohol dyes then an oil-based stain, then clear-coated with shellac sealer, and finally a water-based oil-modified gloss clearcoat.

20201102_112521[1].jpg

20201102_112511[1].jpg

DC power enters the case via Neutrik "PowerCon" connectors, with an exterior +12v/-12v.....6A switching power supply.
Internal busbar is an ACL "EVE" strip, plus an additional 4MS shrouded BusStick (because so many modules).
I still need to make an adjustable angled stand......right now it just sits flat.
Lovely job! :tu:

noisewreck
Wiggling with Experience

Post by noisewreck » Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:07 pm

Midiot wrote:
126hp x2.

20201102_112521[1].jpg

20201102_112511[1].jpg

Looks lovely!

Midiot
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Midiot » Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:18 am

Thank you.
My new case emits spooky sounds.

As is the "case", there is never enough space.
(reusable quote)

I would have preferred my SSF Stereo Dipole filter in this rack.
Also..... these modules.....
MI Clouds
E 352
another filter....etc.
But I do have a few 4MS outboard skiffs, one in particular houses a Frap USTA sequencer along with an XAOC Odessa.
And another small skiff houses a drum kit.
Plus, you'll notice the Strymon AA.1.... interface module that easily connects outboard (delay or reverb) pedal efx units...... so those are outboard too.

lordymosh
Wiggling with Experience

Post by lordymosh » Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:03 am

Hi! I currently have a custom built 6U 84 hp case that I made with a friend in June 2018. Its powered using the Row Power 40. However, I'm currently looking to get a bigger DIY case made. I already have the rails - 9U 126 hp. I was once again going to use Row powers for the PSU (daisy chain 3 of them). However I recently saw the Metasonix RK-2 VCA module and the row power will not cut it if I want to have this module.

So I was thinking of getting other power supplies with a beefier current load. I don't want to go down the DIY route as I don't have any experience with power supplies themselves. I've narrowed it down to the following and was looking for any suggestions or insights. Please suggest other PSUs that may suit my needs better.

Intellijel TPS80W Triple Power Supply:
I like the look of this and the specs (+12V output at 3000 mA, -12V output at 3000 mA, +5V output at 1500 mA). Also it looks easy to install. However, I would imagine I would end up needing 2-3 busboards minimum as each busboard can power 20 modules. I'm not sure if you can daisy chain the busboards together? Or would I need a separate power brick for each one with the Intellijel power module?

Trogotronic M15 Power Supply:
Very beefy power supply and is highly rated on the Metasonix web page regarding powering Metasonix modules. However there is no information on Trogotronic site on how to install the PSU. I would be going for the non-DIY version. It also doesn't state the amount of busboards you get. I'm based in UK/EU and the only option of buying it from searching online is from the actual Trogotronic site which is based in USA. Which is unfortunate in terms of wait times and customs fees.

stylesforfree
Wiggling with Experience

Post by stylesforfree » Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:45 am

Midiot wrote:
126hp x2.

20201102_112521[1].jpg

20201102_112511[1].jpg

That really is so damn beautiful. Nice work.

I was wondering where people in the UK source their wood from. I am looking to build a 9u 168HP case. Kinda fed up of having my modules in 2 separate cases.

I will source the rails/frames from synthracks probably. I may also need another PSU3 and extra busboard unless someone knows of a better power option. I haven't had any problems with the psu3 so far and I have been pushing it to near its capacity without issue. Powers up fine with 27 modules connected.

Has anyone had any experience with twisted head?

Midiot
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Midiot » Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:32 pm

Thank you.
My rack has over 20 modules... and it is is very difficullt to power all 20 (actually i have about 24..)
Most rack power supplies are about 1.5 amps at the most (xx317 type. I need around 2.5 amps.... so there needs to be an extereior porwer supply.

Midiot
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Midiot » Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:51 pm

I can answer the power question. I've posted elswhere here... that there is avabailable elsewhere.... a 6amp switching supply..... often very cheaply found on ebay.
Normally $900... it's around 100-200 american dollars.... lightly used or never used.
It is called LK 2320
All my modules are powered by this.... actually I have 3 of them.
https://www.belfuse.com/product/part-de ... K2320-9ERG

Midiot
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Midiot » Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:00 pm

It actually fits in a 3u size rack space, if you can find the mounting faceplate (special order).
Last edited by Midiot on Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Midiot
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Midiot » Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:05 pm

I find it hard to believe this is not offered..... on eurorack sites..... even at the normal full price.

pieter
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pieter » Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:36 am

stylesforfree wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:45 am
I was wondering where people in the UK source their wood from. I am looking to build a 9u 168HP case. Kinda fed up of having my modules in 2 separate cases.

I will source the rails/frames from synthracks probably. I may also need another PSU3 and extra busboard unless someone knows of a better power option. I haven't had any problems with the psu3 so far and I have been pushing it to near its capacity without issue. Powers up fine with 27 modules connected.

I used Timbersource.co.uk, where I bought sapele wood for my case, and Clicks&Clocks for the rails. Very happy with both of them.
IMG_6861.jpeg
IMG_0883.jpg
I have a trogotronic powersupply and the Doepfer PSU2. I need both to power this rack. The spotlight is from Amazon:
I removed the clamp and that meant I could attach it to the top perspex panel. It looks very slick.

Midiot
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Midiot » Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:24 am

I'm sort of surprised, why there are not power supplies offered over 2.5 or 3,4,5, or 6 amps.
My Tiptop "Mantis" audio case is 3 amps (2x 84).... and it barely keeps-up with my power-hungry modules.

stylesforfree
Wiggling with Experience

Post by stylesforfree » Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:59 am

pieter wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:36 am
stylesforfree wrote:

I used Timbersource.co.uk, where I bought sapele wood for my case, and Clicks&Clocks for the rails. Very happy with both of them.

IMG_6861.jpeg

IMG_0883.jpg

I have a trogotronic powersupply and the Doepfer PSU2. I need both to power this rack. The spotlight is from Amazon:
I removed the clamp and that meant I could attach it to the top perspex panel. It looks very slick.
Nice! Looks very good. What was the cost of the case, all-in?

pieter
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pieter » Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:29 am

Thanks! It's been a while since I built it (2016), but I still love the way it looks and the form factor is extremely ergonomic.

The wood was about £80, the rails (4x104hp) with sliding nuts ( :sb: ) €160, and the trogotronic powersupply was $240. I can't remember if I needed to pay import taxes on that (probably). The cheaper parts include the spotlight, wood oil, and perspex ends that add a few tenners. So all in all the cost without labour was in the neighborhood of £500. Puts the cost of those other cases in perspective!

Oh yeah, and the Doepfer PSU I had left over from my first case. It was from the DIY set.

ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

Post by ersatzplanet » Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:31 pm

Midiot wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:32 pm
Thank you.
My rack has over 20 modules... and it is is very difficullt to power all 20 (actually i have about 24..)
Most rack power supplies are about 1.5 amps at the most (xx317 type. I need around 2.5 amps.... so there needs to be an extereior porwer supply.
Most large cases have beefy supplies or multiple smaller ones. You can always use more than one supply and multiple bus boards. That way each supply is taxed less, and will run cooler.
-James

James Husted - Synthwerks, LLC - www.synthwerks.com - info@synthwerks.com - james@synthwerks.com
Synthwerks is a proud member of the Mostly Modular Trade Association (http://www.mostlymodular.com).
Always looking to trade for Doepfer P6 cases

EASYBOY
Common Wiggler

Post by EASYBOY » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:51 pm

this thread is muffwiggler gold! thank you all for sharing your awesome builds

DrenselQuad
Learning to Wiggle

Post by DrenselQuad » Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:55 pm

Quick bracket spacing question.

I am making a sheet metal travel skiffish thing. 7U with a pulplogic row in the middle. I just finished a mockup of the brackets and wanted a second lookover to make sure it looks alright. I am using vector rails and the spacing ins 4.82"
Screen Shot 2020-11-26 at 2.46.38 PM.png

Thanks,
w

ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

Post by ersatzplanet » Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:21 pm

DrenselQuad wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:55 pm

I am making a sheet metal travel skiffish thing. 7U with a pulplogic row in the middle. I just finished a mockup of the brackets and wanted a second lookover to make sure it looks alright. I am using vector rails and the spacing ins 4.82"

Thanks,
w
If you are using vector rails, be aware that the center channel is not centered to the slot used for mounting the panels. The top channel should not be use for mounting the rails of course since the screws will take away useable mounting space. I have used the middle and bottom slots when mounting rails to make sure they don't rotate.
Vector Rails Dims.png
The way I have made them is using these dimensions. The rails are arranged so the middle rails have the channels differently from the outer rails. This allows the center screw heads more room next to each other. Also having the center channel on the outsides of the other rails, allows them to be mounted to the cabinet walls with screws and bolts using them.
2 inch 6U skiff with Vector rails.jpg
I'm not exactly sure of the mounting hole spacing of the different 1U tiles without looking them up, but it should be pretty easy to add or subtract the spacing of the center slot holes of the Vector rails to compensate.
-James

James Husted - Synthwerks, LLC - www.synthwerks.com - info@synthwerks.com - james@synthwerks.com
Synthwerks is a proud member of the Mostly Modular Trade Association (http://www.mostlymodular.com).
Always looking to trade for Doepfer P6 cases

DrenselQuad
Learning to Wiggle

Post by DrenselQuad » Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:47 pm

Thank you for the response. I am trying to rationalize the different approaches. I am thinking that if the rails flip which side the open
track faces that the difference in the offsets will be (~0.001") or (~0.0254mm) which for all intents and purposes should be a workable margin.

noisewreck
Wiggling with Experience

Post by noisewreck » Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:10 pm

DrenselQuad wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:55 pm

Thanks,
w
I’d highly recommend you get PulpLogic’s rail brackets. Even if you don’t use them for mounting the rails, you can use them as templates and take the guesswork out.

DrenselQuad
Learning to Wiggle

Post by DrenselQuad » Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:28 pm

I have a pair of the pulp logic 6u bracket. I ended up using the Synthrotek drilling template to do the spacing.

Cedre
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Cedre » Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:19 pm

pieter wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:36 am
stylesforfree wrote:

IMG_6861.jpeg

IMG_0883.jpg

Would you built and sell this case and send it to France ?

I really like it, beautiful.

Thanks,

kinoakbridge
Learning to Wiggle

Post by kinoakbridge » Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:49 pm

Built this case for my little home studio. 12U 104HP -- Used cheap pieces of 1.5'' x 0.75'' pine lumber and added an overhang with some LED lights for maximum visibility! I've since filled this rack ;)
empty.jpg
full.jpg

Return to “Eurorack Modules”