Eurorack store in Chicago (finally!)

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

vav
Beer Master

Eurorack store in Chicago (finally!)

Post by vav » Wed May 07, 2014 10:57 pm

So i dont know why they're so damn modest, but awesome Chicago people Wesley (lightpolite) and Andrew (idontknowhismuff'sname!) have convinced their employer, Midwest Pro Sound & Lighting, to not only expand their synth selection, but they've also started carrying Euro modules. :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

So far they've got Pittsburgh, STG, & Bubblesound, and they're trying to expand the selection. They're also buying & selling used modules.

They're located at Belmont & Ashland, and no, i dont work there, nor am i affiliated, i'm just super fuckin' happy someone finally did it!
Vactrols are the electronic equivalent of being drunk. -decaying.sine

HeWhoWantsJeans
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by HeWhoWantsJeans » Wed May 07, 2014 11:25 pm

I'm really surprised that Chicago didn't have a Euro distributor prior to this.

But I'll talk to my people to talk to their people. Wink, wink.
I've archived over 400 answering machines, and the best of which is constantly updated on Tumblr. Public domain! Enjoy! Donate, too!
http://answerphone.tumblr.com/

Illiac
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Illiac » Thu May 08, 2014 12:09 am

word!

Dstone
Common Wiggler

Post by Dstone » Thu May 08, 2014 12:15 am

As a former Chicagoan I'm happy for those guys.. As a former Chicagoen, Chicago still needs a muth'n real euro shop! Maybe musichange can expand again. I miss Chicago :bang:

onurkalaycioglu
Veteran Wiggler

Post by onurkalaycioglu » Thu May 08, 2014 2:01 am

It's about time. Awesome.

carynrich
Wiggling with Experience

Post by carynrich » Thu May 08, 2014 2:52 am

Yeah :banana: its about time. Im shocked at the lack of synth shops in such a large metro area. Even Milwaukee has (had) nova musik, wtf. It was nice when zzounds was a tiny shop in old town, and i still mourn the loss of electrik keyboard in evanston.

negativspace
Manhattan Analog

Post by negativspace » Thu May 08, 2014 3:42 am

'bout time! :party:

theflyingfridge
Veteran Wiggler

Post by theflyingfridge » Thu May 08, 2014 6:36 am

Right on! I'm headed to Chicago in June and was hoping to stop in somewhere. As far as I could google, Midwest Pro was the only decent "synth" shop in the city. I was a little surprised that there were no smaller boutiques, so I'm glad they are carrying more eurorack.

I was down in New York in the fall and it was so nice to stop in at Control, chat to the guys there, and patch on some modules that I would never get to see in person (unless purchased outright).

If any Chicago Wigglers are performing June 20th-23rd, let me know and I'll be there!

:tu:

frozenkore
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by frozenkore » Thu May 08, 2014 7:44 am

Shit! I was across the street at House of Sushi and Noodles Saturday :doh:.
Cheers!
Brian

Al
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Al » Thu May 08, 2014 7:51 am

:sb:

pigeonfarmboy
Learning to Wiggle

Post by pigeonfarmboy » Thu May 08, 2014 8:51 am

A couple months ago they had quite the Pittsburgh selection so it's good to hear they're expanding. It's a pretty cool shop.

Rock N Roll Vintage has a full line of Moog and carries tons of boutique pedals. Maybe I'll bring my shared system for them to check out next time I'm up there.

Chicago Music Exchange needs to expand their synth selection badly.

grape tony
Wiggling with Experience

Post by grape tony » Thu May 08, 2014 9:29 am

was playing a show recently and someone asked me if i had known about a place on the north side who was selling a few modules.

I had zero clue what they were talking about.

Guess this is it!
cool! :tu:

orangehexagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by orangehexagon » Thu May 08, 2014 9:45 am

Yeah, they've been doing that for some time now. It's not really a shop, but a section of the shop that operates under the name "Nerd Audio."

http://www.nerdaudio.com

Also, it's not surprising it took this long... Chicago is weird like that. It's a pretty top notch city, but it sometimes exists in a vacuum. I have a serious love/hate relationship with this fine city.

DonaldCrunk
pregnant with sound

Post by DonaldCrunk » Thu May 08, 2014 4:07 pm

Nerd Audio visited this last Knobcon with an excellent table full of goodies. I'm going to try to stop by the shop at the end of this month and see what cool stuff they have these days.

are there certain hours that are better to come by so someone modular knowledgable is working?

vav
Beer Master

Post by vav » Thu May 08, 2014 6:58 pm

DonaldCrunk wrote:Nerd Audio visited this last Knobcon with an excellent table full of goodies. I'm going to try to stop by the shop at the end of this month and see what cool stuff they have these days.

are there certain hours that are better to come by so someone modular knowledgable is working?
Let me know when you come up here, we'll drink beers!
Vactrols are the electronic equivalent of being drunk. -decaying.sine

lightpolite
Wiggling with Experience

Post by lightpolite » Fri May 09, 2014 5:19 pm

My love to vav for the shoutout.

I've not been active around these parts for ages, but I got hipped to this thread and thought it good to check in and say hello.

The information above is right on: we are affiliated with Midwest Pro Sound, and we are currently sharing retail space with this business. Midwest is the oldest independent DJ store in Chicago, and NerdAudio the only specialty retailer for synths in Chicago. We like to think of ourselves as serving this City's diverse electronic music community, from Househeads to Noisebros. CME are friends for sure, the owner himself popped in to say hello this week. We send folks back and forth all the time, and for the most part we have very little product overlap.

We are working towards bringing in more manufacturers as we speak and hope to have more robust eurorack selection as soon as possible. Also, we are slowly but surely heading towards meet-ups, clinics, and manufacturer visits.
DonaldCrunk wrote:are there certain hours that are better to come by so someone modular knowledgable is working?
I am the main guy for this, my name is Wesley irl (Mr. Crunk, we've definitely met), and I am in the shop 11-6 on all days minus Thursdays.
I'll check back here tomorrow if there are any questions or comments. I'd like to keep excess business talk out of the forum in general, of course, so feel free to message me as well.

science
Spending Spree!

Post by science » Fri May 09, 2014 7:11 pm

Glad someone did this. I've been eyeing some available retail space in my neighborhood for a while, but my other job keeps me way too busy to even consider it at the moment.

Might have to go check it out this weekend. :tu:

Skimmo
Common Wiggler

Post by Skimmo » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:04 pm

Hey is this place still doing business in Eurorack Gear?

Section956
Common Wiggler

Post by Section956 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:26 pm

I think they still are with a limited selection (4ms, Pittsburgh, TipTop) but haven't gained traction with other manufacturers.

There is a new option called Synth City with a broader selection - http://rocknrollvintage.com/eurorack-modules/

Why Adapter
Tick Mark Legend

Post by Why Adapter » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:56 pm

Dunno if they're expanding or relocating, but I saw this today on Damen, just south of Lawrence, about a half mile East of their Lincoln Square location:

RLK
Wiggling with Experience

Post by RLK » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:19 pm

Why Adapter wrote:Dunno if they're expanding or relocating, but I saw this today on Damen, just south of Lawrence, about a half mile East of their Lincoln Square location:

Bought an Erbe Verbe from Rock-n-Roll Vintage (SynthCity) on ebay a few months back.
The unit seemed to have an issue and they were really helpful resolving things.

Why Adapter
Tick Mark Legend

Post by Why Adapter » Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:43 pm

Stopped in for a look around today. Saw this pairing in the display case. They swear it was completely random.

Pizza_Bones
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Pizza_Bones » Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:29 pm

I saw this yesterday when I was trying to find someone locally who was selling the H&A Zed6 mixers! I just noticed that they (Pro Sound) sold synth gear at all a few weeks ago when I was on the 77.

Btw, new Wiggler in Chicago here!

Elguapo505
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Elguapo505 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:41 am

Chicago already has TWO stores selling Euro. Nerd Audio and Synth City - how did you not already know that?
Would you say I have a plethora of pinàtas?

Robscorch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Robscorch » Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:54 am

Still have nothing in Houston and we used to be space town... :doh:
WELL in reality Clear Lake is the space town, but I consider it lower Houston without all the sky rises.

Austin is close, but switched on focuses on the odd musician aspect of things don't feel they are quite a modular store. Not that this is bad actually brilliant considering where they are and who they cater too. Lots of cool vintage things and a great repair department.

Don't think I'll ever get the quid, but it would be nice to drop a shop down here hell I would go work for someone if they could help work out the financing. I can manage retail, but I can't draw capitol. I was born with a wooden spoon unfortunately not an expense account.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”