Disapointing Modules

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe., lisa

batch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Disapointing Modules

Post by batch » Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:32 pm

Yes, my bad
Monday Night Modular - a weekly virtual meetup @ 8pm PT

Lokua
Common Wiggler

Post by Lokua » Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:30 pm

Also disappointed in 2hp Verb but by accident I discovered that it's not a bad idea to have a mono reverb within an otherwise heavy stereo patch. Not that the 2hp Verb is mono, of course, but now I pretty much only use it for this very distinct mono only saw wave based string sound. Gives it sort of a "retro" feel, for lack of better term. Maybe that also has something to do with it being a pretty muddy or "big" reverb. I guess it's a matter of work with what you have - alchemy. Thinking more about it as I write, it kind of makes sense that a mono reverb is appealing for a mono source. When you have mono source but stereo out, the left and right wet signals differ from each other but the center / dry signal is the same in left and right so there is an observable disconnect between dry/wet, whereas with mono in, mono out, there is no disconnect - it sounds like "one" sound.

Related to this module, do I have a defective unit or does the damp parameter barely make an impact? I swear it makes no difference at all. Not sure when this happened, but I could have swore it worked at some point, but maybe my mind was playing tricks on me.

Naenyn
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Naenyn » Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:17 pm

Lokua wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:30 pm
Related to this module, do I have a defective unit or does the damp parameter barely make an impact? I swear it makes no difference at all. Not sure when this happened, but I could have swore it worked at some point, but maybe my mind was playing tricks on me.
I was just wondering this myself ... when I was playing with it last night, I didn’t notice any difference as I adjusted the damp pot. :despair:
-n :ninja:

My FOR SALE thread
My racks on ModularGrid
Find me on MuffWiggler's Discord

lyesmel
Common Wiggler

Post by lyesmel » Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:20 pm

2Hp 'Play' Sample player. Doesn't cut it at all for me, found it way too glitchy (and not in an idm way!)

wavejockey
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wavejockey » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:17 am

Very Disappointed in Percussa SSP; everything that can go wrong with it goes wrong // with such a number of modules to choose from, the number of errors is equally big // the logic or lack of logic of the designer(s) is not gluing with me and putting me off every session i have with it // apart from all that, a module that was promised in the Kickstarter still has not been delivered (>2 years after launch)

tvparcable
Common Wiggler

Post by tvparcable » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:45 am

I tried and tried, but I think I have to add the PICO DRUM2 to the list. Now I'm aware it's not necessarily the module's fault, but maybe my expectations were wrong. I'm only finding that only a few algorithms produce sounds I am looking for. There's a decent snare and some acceptable kicks, but I naively expected more control over synthesis + algorithms that relied less on cheap sample rate reduction effects. If you're into Erica synths demo type of techno and if you don't mind mostly using the module locked in one or two algorithms, it's still a very capable low HP solution though. That's not really what I hope so I'm probably going to sell it and rely on samples + my SSF for drums.

Fabong
Common Wiggler

Post by Fabong » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:01 am

The only module I own which has disappointed me is the 2HP MIDI, as I simply cannot get it to work. The lights will come on, but there is apparently nobody home.
Avant Garde a clue

Polyterative
Common Wiggler

Post by Polyterative » Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:03 am

Fabong wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:01 am
there is apparently nobody home.
:hihi: :hihi: :hihi:
Rack / Music / Instagram / Module demos
► Show Spoiler

Foghorn
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Foghorn » Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:46 am

I bought a used Doepfer A-149-1 Quantized and Stored Random Voltage.
It died in a day or two.
Being a DIY guy I bought several of the chips in it, 10 of LM324, 10 of TLC5620CN quad 8 bit D/A converters and some other one in it.
I replaced all of the chips in it (except the PIC16F76 micro controller) several times and could not get it to work.
I finally soldered in sockets for the chips so I could change them fast.
I got really frustrated.
So I bought an A-149-1 brand new, and it died almost immediately :bang:
I should mention the first A-149-1 does not exist anymore as I smashed it with a BFH.
It turns out that something about the power supply in my case (the negative rail was still high when the positive rail is at zero during shutdown) seems to burn out some modules.
The same thing happened when I bought an A-134-1 panning module, I burned out a pair of them (yes I bought a pair because the first one burned out in one day
So, am I disappointed with these Doepfer modules, or am I disappointed with the case?
Stay Calm - We are in this forever :hmm:
.......Not really a musician.......
Machinist & Laboratory Technician

Yes Powder
Powder that makes you say "Yes"

Post by Yes Powder » Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:01 pm

Foghorn wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:46 am
So, am I disappointed with these Doepfer modules, or am I disappointed with the case?
IIWY, I'd be disappointed in the power supply. Doepfer modules have always been pretty solid for me, and I would not feel comfortable putting ANYTHING in that case knowing that it does what you said.

Kattefjaes
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Kattefjaes » Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:23 pm

tvparcable wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:45 am
I tried and tried, but I think I have to add the PICO DRUM2 to the list. Now I'm aware it's not necessarily the module's fault, but maybe my expectations were wrong. I'm only finding that only a few algorithms produce sounds I am looking for. There's a decent snare and some acceptable kicks, but I naively expected more control over synthesis + algorithms that relied less on cheap sample rate reduction effects. If you're into Erica synths demo type of techno and if you don't mind mostly using the module locked in one or two algorithms, it's still a very capable low HP solution though. That's not really what I hope so I'm probably going to sell it and rely on samples + my SSF for drums.
Hmm, I really liked the DivKid video and have been seriously considering one to play with too- liked what I heard. Admittedly, the nasty gabber-style square kick might have been part of it...

Foghorn
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Foghorn » Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:32 pm

Yes Powder wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:01 pm
Foghorn wrote:
IIWY, I'd be disappointed in the power supply. Doepfer modules have always been pretty solid for me, and I would not feel comfortable putting ANYTHING in that case knowing that it does what you said.
I bought one of the first cases produced by this manufacturer, in 2015.
I think the case manufacturer put a resister as a load on the negative supply after this.
That pulls down the negative rail quickly.
I wouldn't be surprised if they switched to another model of PSU by now.
But I was the DIY "guinea pig"
Plus, both modules are known to have problems if they have negative rail, but not a positive rail.
Doepfer fixed this and apparently I bought modules that had been sitting on the shelf for a long time.
You know, 2015
Stay Calm - We are in this forever :hmm:
.......Not really a musician.......
Machinist & Laboratory Technician

Chaos215bar2
Common Wiggler

Post by Chaos215bar2 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:44 pm

Foghorn wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:32 pm
Yes Powder wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:01 pm
Foghorn wrote:
I bought one of the first cases produced by this manufacturer, in 2015.
I think the case manufacturer put a resister as a load on the negative supply after this.
That pulls down the negative rail quickly.
I wouldn't be surprised if they switched to another model of PSU by now.
But I was the DIY "guinea pig"
Plus, both modules are known to have problems if they have negative rail, but not a positive rail.
Doepfer fixed this and apparently I bought modules that had been sitting on the shelf for a long time.
You know, 2015
Good to hear Doepfer fixed this.

I was going to chime in to say that, while the power supply obviously wasn't great, it seems pretty dangerous for a module to assume that all power rails will reach 0V at about the same time on power down. (Assuming that's all that was going on in this case.) AFAIK, it's really not all that unusual for a power rail to take several seconds to reach 0V with little to no load. If you have a case full of modules (and we're not talking about the 5V rail, which may very well go unused these days), I imagine you'd generally be fine.

On topic, I'm disappointed in any module that can be blown up quite this easily. That includes via silly little mistakes like touching a patch cable to exposed metal on the outside of a module, or accidentally patching outputs together. (Both of which I've heard quoted as things you're not supposed to do for fear of damaging a module.) Everyone's inevitably going to do these things at some point, and to me, building a module which can't handle this sort of "misuse" kind of misses the point of eurorack.

All bets are off behind the faceplate, of course, or if you somehow manage to patch something way outside the -12~12V range into a module. (Note, I don't say -10–10V, again, because a module should be able to deal with anything it's reasonably going to be able to receive from elsewhere in a rack. And if your unipolar input can't handle negative voltages, again, that's just a mistake waiting to happen.)

scragz
Veteran Wiggler

Post by scragz » Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:55 pm

I'm constantly plugging outputs into outputs by accident. I know you're not supposed to but all the overpriced boutique crap I buy better have protections against it.

knifey
Veteran Wiggler

Post by knifey » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:12 am

scragz wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:55 pm
I'm constantly plugging outputs into outputs by accident. I know you're not supposed to but all the overpriced boutique crap I buy better have protections against it.
Same - I mean, not ALL the time, but I have often accidentally plugged outputs together. Never fried a module that way yet.

luchog
Crazy Pony

Post by luchog » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:24 am

knifey wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:12 am
scragz wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:55 pm
Same - I mean, not ALL the time, but I have often accidentally plugged outputs together. Never fried a module that way yet.
Failing to build in protection against common, easy-to-make mistakes like that is just poor design.

Smapti
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Smapti » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:58 am

Kattefjaes wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:23 pm
tvparcable wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:45 am
Hmm, I really liked the DivKid video and have been seriously considering one to play with too- liked what I heard. Admittedly, the nasty gabber-style square kick might have been part of it...
Just to provide a different opinion -- I absolutely love the Pico Drum 2. I have 3 of them and I get a huge amount of use out of them. There's only one algorithm (out of 8) that uses sample rate reduction so I'm not entirely sure I understand that complaint.

Kattefjaes
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Kattefjaes » Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:25 am

Chaos215bar2 wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:44 pm
All bets are off behind the faceplate, of course, or if you somehow manage to patch something way outside the -12~12V range into a module. (Note, I don't say -10–10V, again, because a module should be able to deal with anything it's reasonably going to be able to receive from elsewhere in a rack. And if your unipolar input can't handle negative voltages, again, that's just a mistake waiting to happen.)
"Can't handle" is reasonably OK, "is damaged by" less so.

dragulasbruder
Wiggling with Experience

Post by dragulasbruder » Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:42 am

2hp S&H. Unbelievable droop. like an envelope with no controls. Returned to point of sale.
Now offering sliding-scale SYNTHESIS and AUDIO PRODUCTION LESSONS during the pandemic--please PM for details!

WTB Wish List: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1224624

MY MUSIC: https://www.soundcloud.com/wish-fulfillment

Chaos215bar2
Common Wiggler

Post by Chaos215bar2 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:56 am

Kattefjaes wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:25 am
Chaos215bar2 wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:44 pm
"Can't handle" is reasonably OK, "is damaged by" less so.
Same difference?

pieter
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pieter » Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:17 pm

"can't handle" means the module doesn't give a useful output wherreas for lower voltages it would. "Is damaged by" means that when you drop the voltage to normal levels the module does not return to normal operation.

scragz
Veteran Wiggler

Post by scragz » Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:38 pm

And for can't handle, bonus points if the module ignores voltages outside its expected range instead of freaking out. I gave up on Noise Engineering oscillators because they only respond to 0-5v on modulation inputs, and if they did get negative voltage their output would glitch in unpredictable ways.

hirnlego
Wiggling with Experience

Post by hirnlego » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:26 pm

scragz wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:38 pm
And for can't handle, bonus points if the module ignores voltages outside its expected range instead of freaking out. I gave up on Noise Engineering oscillators because they only respond to 0-5v on modulation inputs, and if they did get negative voltage their output would glitch in unpredictable ways.
Maybe it's a feature :mrgreen:

suboptimal
A Towering Mediocrity

Post by suboptimal » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:45 pm

Like it's engineered for noise or something. :hihi:

I understand not liking that sort of thing, though.

Kattefjaes
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Kattefjaes » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:50 pm

Yeah, I found the Disting EX's SD Multisample mode freaked out at my Keystep sending it gates over 5v, which puzzled me. Luckily os had seen the problem before and was able to advise, but it was annoying at first. Definitely a "can't handle", but it was fine.

dragulasbruder wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:42 am
2hp S&H. Unbelievable droop. like an envelope with no controls. Returned to point of sale.
Oh, now I sort of want one if someone has one going for pittance. I really like the droop on my WMD/SSF Modbox... I can understand that it must be annoying if you want the voltage actually held properly, mind.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”