The modules that should exist (but don't)

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

porphyrion
Wiggling with Experience

Re: The modules that should exist (but don't)

Post by porphyrion » Sun May 24, 2020 12:25 pm

Personally looking for a Pulsar-23-style set of medium-sized, easy-to-use loopers with pressure-sensitive pads. Don't know where to start best. €1850 for a Pulsar is over budget atm... The sounds of the Pulsar I think I can match using a large enough array of different modules but the interface looks supremely fast-

dekemcculo
Common Wiggler

Post by dekemcculo » Sun May 24, 2020 12:36 pm

luupp wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 10:47 am
A couple of my friends and myself were discussing this the other day, we are having such a trouble finding pseudo-random modules, which is a shame. I think it's one of the most fun aspect of being modular, and not neccesserily for generative music only. Drums, percs, melodies etc. I'm talking more in the line of LowerRenz on o_C, or Frap Tools Sapel. Would love to bridge the gap more between MaxMSP and euro. Especially since I always find these things to be an infinite source of inspiration.
this seems like something that there's a lot of... but I suppose it depends what you mean by pseudo random...

There's Turing Machine type modules for loopable random, with quantizers to keep random in a certain range or certain notes, there's chaos based modules like from Snazzy FX or NLC which are not random but chaotic which can be more musical, there's wogglebug which apparently is a musical random (I think I've heard this is maybe done with filtered noise somehow? there may be interesting pseudo random to be made by filtering noise into a S&H to limit the range in different ways), this is to say nothing of fully digital options, teletype you could program something to be as "pseudo" or as "random" as you like, and then something like monome crow you could pretty much just connect directly to max and upload whatever you wanted I think... plus there's other computer interface modules where you could just run your max/msp patch in. I'm sure there's stuff i'm missing, but definitely a lot of options out there for this type of thing...

Arneb
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Arneb » Sun May 24, 2020 7:24 pm

luupp wrote:
A couple of my friends and myself were discussing this the other day, we are having such a trouble finding pseudo-random modules, which is a shame. I think it's one of the most fun aspect of being modular, and not neccesserily for generative music only. Drums, percs, melodies etc. I'm talking more in the line of LowerRenz on o_C, or Frap Tools Sapel. Would love to bridge the gap more between MaxMSP and euro. Especially since I always find these things to be an infinite source of inspiration.
You should probably clarify what you mean by "pseudo-random", because the way programmers use the term a "pseudo-random module" is any random module which doesn't rely on an analog noise source.

dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dooj88 » Tue May 26, 2020 10:26 am

Arneb wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 7:24 pm
luupp wrote:
You should probably clarify what you mean by "pseudo-random", because the way programmers use the term a "pseudo-random module" is any random module which doesn't rely on an analog noise source.
LowerRenz is based on chaos algorithms. Sapel is true random and curated random - it's filtered noise which is further quantized/slewed. when i hear pseudo-random i think of things like Marbles. if you're looking for more novel forms of CV outside the classic sample and hold, look at NLC's chaos based modules, bytebeat patterns, ADDAC stochastic generator.. there's quite a lot of variety out there.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”