The modules that should exist (but don't)

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

mskala
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: The modules that should exist (but don't)

Post by mskala » Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:28 pm

USB hubs don't work well with audio. I was disappointed when I tried to plug my audio interface into one to find that it didn't work (repeating ticking noises in the recorded audio) and that this seems to be a general limitation of all USB hubs and audio interfaces, not only the specific ones I tried and not only unpowered USB hubs. The best expert advice seems to be "that just doesn't work" - although there are some high-end hubs that may be more likely to work than others. Muffwiggler thread here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=206868

calvinsomething
Wiggling with Experience

Post by calvinsomething » Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:48 pm

Don't know if this has been said, but a ROUTING module that can do all sorts of different combinations, either combining signals or acting as an OR for trigs/gates.

A comprehensive module to keep your options very open without having to unplug and replug stuff would be sweet.

vidret
Common Wiggler

Post by vidret » Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:54 pm

calvinsomething wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:48 pm
Don't know if this has been said, but a ROUTING module that can do all sorts of different combinations, either combining signals or acting as an OR for trigs/gates.

A comprehensive module to keep your options very open without having to unplug and replug stuff would be sweet.
after gassing for the non-existing IME/harvestman homicide censor i came here to say this.

Maybe there's already something around that does this? The closest I can get is a matrix mixer, but that's usually 20 hp and no CV control.

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:54 am

calvinsomething wrote:

What about the new ADDAC805 VC Signal router?

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/addac-system-addac805-vs2

All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.

Arneb
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Arneb » Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:36 am

calvinsomething wrote:

Well, there are routing matrix modules:
- FSS MTX9 (EMS-style pin matrix)
- SSSR Matrixarchate (same, but without physical pins)
- Livestock Maze (same idea, but feels more like a DAW controller)
- WMD SSM (lots of features, but at high HP cost)
- Any DC-coupled matrix mixer

Or you patch something together from switches and logic, if none of the above suits your use case.

gringostar
Wiggling with Experience

Post by gringostar » Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:20 pm

LFO module with the following.

1 control knob over continuously variable wave shape for all outputs.
1 CV input for control over the wave shape with attenuator.
1 CV input for tempo sync.
6 outputs.
1 3-way switch that selects between phase offset (60 degrees) or 2 tempo offsets (divide each successive output by 2 or by 8)
1 attenuator for each LFO output.

The whole thing could probably be done in 6hp, or 4 hp without the attenuators which could be a separate expander.

Tverse
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Tverse » Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:57 pm

I wouldn't mind seeing a small basic DIY Infrared to gate/trigger module.

Something with learn mode so it can be used with any remote control.

Who doesn't have some remote lying around they aren't using?

calvinsomething
Wiggling with Experience

Post by calvinsomething » Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:15 pm

Arneb wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:36 am

Or you patch something together from switches and logic, if none of the above suits your use case.
Yeah, I'm imagining something simpler and quicker. Like 8 inputs. 8 outs, and a dial for each input to select which output its going to, and a way of switching each output from a mixer to a logic mode...

Something like that, pretty simple but very immediate and usable.

fredke
Common Wiggler

Post by fredke » Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:43 am

A response curve function (a kind of waveshaper for modulators if you wish). Especially a LIN>LOG converter !
(LOG is the opposite of EXP)

interpolate
Common Wiggler

Post by interpolate » Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:40 am

I recently loaded a sampler with signed waveforms but it was expecting unsigned. The result was kinda an odd distortion that was a mix of bit reduction and wavefolding. I kinda wish there was an "encoding error" module. Not sure if I am just being stupid about this one TBH.

autopoiesis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by autopoiesis » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:00 am

fredke wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:43 am
A response curve function (a kind of waveshaper for modulators if you wish). Especially a LIN>LOG converter !
wouldn't a slew limiter with log/lin/expo curve control (eg Maths) do the trick here?

mskala
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mskala » Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:05 pm

interpolate wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:40 am
I recently loaded a sampler with signed waveforms but it was expecting unsigned. The result was kinda an odd distortion that was a mix of bit reduction and wavefolding. I kinda wish there was an "encoding error" module. Not sure if I am just being stupid about this one TBH.
You could probably fake this by feeding the signal through a comparator and mixing the comparator output with a copy of the original.

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:02 am

interpolate wrote:
There's an encoding error module coming up by Qu-Bit. Or at least it's a module that is aimed at that type of audio problems.

Yes Powder
Powder that makes you say "Yes"

Post by Yes Powder » Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:36 pm

interpolate wrote:
If a mix of bit-reduction and wavefolding is what you're looking for, the WMD Geiger Counter is literally that. :cloud:

vidret
Common Wiggler

Post by vidret » Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:38 pm

calvinsomething wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:15 pm
Arneb wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:36 am

Yeah, I'm imagining something simpler and quicker. Like 8 inputs. 8 outs, and a dial for each input to select which output its going to, and a way of switching each output from a mixer to a logic mode...

Something like that, pretty simple but very immediate and usable.
This wasn’t really what I was looking for but sounds like you might be;

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/tesseract ... red-matrix

Check out tesseracts other stuff as well while at it

fredke
Common Wiggler

Post by fredke » Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:54 am

autopoiesis wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:00 am
fredke wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:43 am
wouldn't a slew limiter with log/lin/expo curve control (eg Maths) do the trick here?
Would it? I don't want any lag in response time.
Also, curve control on a slew limiter shapes the lag, but it doesn't affect values: Eventually every input value is reached at the output, without change - just after a lag.
I am looking for something that would alter values (voltages)

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:08 am

fredke wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:54 am
Also, curve control on a slew limiter shapes the lag, but it doesn't affect values: Eventually every input value is reached at the output, without change - just after a lag.
So in essence you want a voltage remapper / wavetable, that works on slow CV. The WMD Geiger Counter works on DC signals as well as audio and remaps incoming voltages to other shapes. It has a big list of waves, so maybe it contains a few that will remap to logarithmic. You can also check the new Klavis Flexshaper which acts as a waveshaper for incoming CVs - it's quite possible that it will allow you to coax the shape you're looking for.
Yes Powder wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:36 pm
If a mix of bit-reduction and wavefolding is what you're looking for, the WMD Geiger Counter is literally that. :cloud:
I'm not sure it can be considered as a wavefolder, it's more of a wavetable and a bit reducer. No?

fredke
Common Wiggler

Post by fredke » Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:05 am

Paranormal Patroler wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:08 am
fredke wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:54 am
So in essence you want a voltage remapper / wavetable, that works on slow CV. The WMD Geiger Counter works on DC signals as well as audio and remaps incoming voltages to other shapes. It has a big list of waves, so maybe it contains a few that will remap to logarithmic. You can also check the new Klavis Flexshaper which acts as a waveshaper for incoming CVs - it's quite possible that it will allow you to coax the shape you're looking for.
Yes, a kind of a waveshaper for CV.
Thanks for the suggestions. I just checked them out on modgrid.

Klavis Flexshaper: The response between breakpoints is still linear. (I see it more as a better alternative to the Doepfer A-168 waveshaper: good, but not for this.)

WMD Geiger Counter: That would be more like it, with preset curves - and hopefully some of the curves are what I'm looking for. But I'm not sure 8 bits would be precise enough: I'd like to affect 1v/oct signals (before quantization, obviously), and 256 steps would make it... doable, but barely, I'm afraid. (That asides, it sounds great as a waveshaper :-). It too sounds better than Doepfer's Bit Processor, which itself doesn't sound bad)

Maybe I should explain the main use I would have for such a module: I would like to counter the exponential response of the Doepfer Theremin with a log curve, in order to get a linear response to distance. As it is, that Theremin is too sensitive in the 1cm range, and not sensitive enough past 2cm. I mean, it senses me coming 1m away, sure, but most of the response is crammed into the cm range, because it is exponential(ish).

Modcan's Omnimod would do it, if only it accepted CV as input for position. Unfortunately, it only runs on a clock.

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:31 am

fredke wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:05 am
Yes, a kind of a waveshaper for CV.
Thanks for the suggestions. I just checked them out on modgrid.

Klavis Flexshaper: The response between breakpoints is still linear. (I see it more as a better alternative to the Doepfer A-168 waveshaper: good, but not for this.)

WMD Geiger Counter: That would be more like it, with preset curves - and hopefully some of the curves are what I'm looking for. But I'm not sure 8 bits would be precise enough: I'd like to affect 1v/oct signals (before quantization, obviously), and 256 steps would make it... doable, but barely, I'm afraid. (That asides, it sounds great as a waveshaper :-). It too sounds better than Doepfer's Bit Processor, which itself doesn't sound bad)

Maybe I should explain the main use I would have for such a module: I would like to counter the exponential response of the Doepfer Theremin with a log curve, in order to get a linear response to distance. As it is, that Theremin is too sensitive in the 1cm range, and not sensitive enough past 2cm. I mean, it senses me coming 1m away, sure, but most of the response is crammed into the cm range, because it is exponential(ish).

Modcan's Omnimod would do it, if only it accepted CV as input for position. Unfortunately, it only runs on a clock.
Yes, that clears things up a bit. First off, I assume you mean the Macro Machines Omnimod? It also accepts CV to move through the envelope. I haven't used mine with the theremin but it's a good idea. I use a slew limiter, as suggested earlier, and it works fine. Granted, it is not as precise as your suggestion, but I did not approach the problem with a mathematical mind, more of an intuitive mind, as in, controlling the theremin is a physical activity and as such body memory. I place a slew limiter to smooth out the movement and it seems to work - don't think of the slew as something that delays the signal changes that much, more like something that curves out any sudden changes. Not sure if this is clear enough - all I can say is it works for me.

paperCUT
Veteran Wiggler

Post by paperCUT » Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:36 am

I'm not sure it can be considered as a wavefolder, it's more of a wavetable and a bit reducer. No?
There isn't much better than the Doepfer A-189-1 if you want bit mangling:

Switch position Function Remark
1 bit crushing BC controls the number of bits (bit reduction)
2 AND Signal AND BC
3 OR Signal OR BC
4 XOR Signal XOR BC
5 bit shift right BC controls the number of bit shifts
6 bit shift left BC controls the number of bit shifts
7 multiplication Signal x BC
8 compare & complement if signal > BC then output = bit complement of the input signal, otherwise unchanged
9 compare & absolute if signal > BC then output = absolute value of the input signal, otherwise unchanged
10 addition output = signal + BC (with overflow/clipping)
11 addition with BC swap same as 10 but with nibble swap of BC (nibble = half byte, i.e. four bits)
12 short delay 1 with dynamic normalization BC controls the length of the delay memory
13 short delay 2 same as 12 but different length/feedback
14 short delay 3 same as 12 but different length/feedback
15 short delay 4 same as 12 but different length/feedback
16 four stages FIR filter BC controls the filter coefficient

interpolate
Common Wiggler

Post by interpolate » Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:11 am

Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:02 am
interpolate wrote:
There's an encoding error module coming up by Qu-Bit. Or at least it's a module that is aimed at that type of audio problems.
Interesting, do you happen to know the name?

NM Found it - Data Bender https://www.qubitelectronix.com/coming-soon

Yes Powder
Powder that makes you say "Yes"

Post by Yes Powder » Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:49 am

Yes Powder wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:36 pm
I could be wrong, but my understanding of how the Geiger Counter works is that the wavetables are used as a table-lookup to redraw the wave where a right-rising ramp wavetable would output a linear response. If that's the case, then a lot of these tables should exhibit folding behavior- though some in the more traditional sense than others.
Please let me know if that's not how they're used.

Ceres
Common Wiggler

Post by Ceres » Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:08 am

vidret wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:54 pm
calvinsomething wrote:

after gassing for the non-existing IME/harvestman homicide censor i came here to say this.

Maybe there's already something around that does this? The closest I can get is a matrix mixer, but that's usually 20 hp and no CV control.
4MS VCA Mixer is basically a voltage controlled matrix mixer.

It’s hard to do matrix mixing in a small package because you need pots for the number of inputs times the number of outputs. 4 ins * 4 outs = 16 pots.
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.

vidret
Common Wiggler

Post by vidret » Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:34 pm

Ceres wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:08 am

4MS VCA Mixer is basically a voltage controlled matrix mixer.

It’s hard to do matrix mixing in a small package because you need pots for the number of inputs times the number of outputs. 4 ins * 4 outs = 16 pots.
im aware of whats out there, i just find it weird there aren't some different takes on it.

I did get a rebel tech mix 04 but now i'm stuck with the issue of feeding it enough offsets :lol:

ChartreKhan
Common Wiggler

Post by ChartreKhan » Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:31 pm

I feel like be-all end-all "hub"/routing modules are not actually as useful as it might seem at first. I tend to find that using multiple mixers and attenuverters is more intuitive. I have a Matrixarchate (16x8 passive switch matrix with patch recall/sequencing), but I don't usually use it to reroute whole patches, I use it to create a set of timbre variations with different waveforms/effect inputs. Or sometimes to switch sequencer CV destinations. Granted I don't have a very big modular, but I feel like if it were bigger I would use it the same way, it would be too confusing to remember what each individual patch does especially when I'm repatching the synth a lot manually.
https://www.etsy.com/au/shop/ChartreArts - Etsy Store where I sell pre-built modules, altho dont have any up rn

Return to “Eurorack Modules”