The modules that should exist (but don't)

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

mulder
Learning to Wiggle

Re: The modules that should exist (but don't)

Post by mulder » Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:32 pm

Paranormal Patroler wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:54 am
calvinsomething wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:48 pm
Don't know if this has been said, but a ROUTING module that can do all sorts of different combinations, either combining signals or acting as an OR for trigs/gates.

A comprehensive module to keep your options very open without having to unplug and replug stuff would be sweet.
What about the new ADDAC805 VC Signal router?

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/addac-system-addac805-vs2

I've been waiting for this one to come to perfect circuit. I might just get the Make Noise X-Pan

fredke
Common Wiggler

Post by fredke » Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:15 pm

Paranormal Patroler wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:31 am
fredke wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:05 am
Maybe I should explain the main use I would have for such a module: I would like to counter the exponential response of the Doepfer Theremin with a log curve, in order to get a linear response to distance. As it is, that Theremin is too sensitive in the 1cm range, and not sensitive enough past 2cm. I mean, it senses me coming 1m away, sure, but most of the response is crammed into the cm range, because it is exponential(ish).

Modcan's Omnimod would do it, if only it accepted CV as input for position. Unfortunately, it only runs on a clock.
Yes, that clears things up a bit. First off, I assume you mean the Macro Machines Omnimod? It also accepts CV to move through the envelope. I haven't used mine with the theremin but it's a good idea. I use a slew limiter, as suggested earlier, and it works fine. Granted, it is not as precise as your suggestion, but I did not approach the problem with a mathematical mind, more of an intuitive mind, as in, controlling the theremin is a physical activity and as such body memory. I place a slew limiter to smooth out the movement and it seems to work - don't think of the slew as something that delays the signal changes that much, more like something that curves out any sudden changes. Not sure if this is clear enough - all I can say is it works for me.
First off, yes, I meant Macro Machine ;-)

I've used a slew limiter to affect my theremin performance: short to no time in one direction, and medium to long time in the other direction, actually sounds great expression wise. But it's something entirely different from what I'm talking about here. I guess both tricks could be combined without interfering with each other.

Playing the theremin is a physical experience to me too: that's the reason why I'd like to be able to make wider gestures with my arms, and worry less about millimeter-range precision.

Can you tell me how you control the Omnimod with cv? I do own one, and I can't find how to do that. I admit I should probably RTFM, and I will do that if you can't help me. Anyway, thanks for the tip !
Last edited by fredke on Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:59 pm

Just set the track to phase mode. Phase mode is actually CV control of the envelope position. It is indeed in the manual (check here)
All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.

calvinsomething
Wiggling with Experience

Post by calvinsomething » Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:49 pm

vidret wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:38 pm
This wasn’t really what I was looking for but sounds like you might be;

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/tesseract ... red-matrix

Check out tesseracts other stuff as well while at it
Really cool! Thanks for that. I might have to pick one up!

I think the matrix with buttons is more comprehensive, because you can send the same input to different outputs and vice versa, and still, the logic options I'm sure don't exist and would really be amazing. Of course this idea goes against the idea of modular, because you could just buy several modules to make this happen, and customize for yourself, but it would be nice to minimize the amount of real estate needed and cables!

Ceres
Common Wiggler

Post by Ceres » Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:17 pm

I am a bit surprised nobody has released an additive octave divider/multiplier mixer module like a Hammond drawbar.
Sub-Fundemental, Sub-Third, Fundamental, and harmonics 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 & 8. Seems like a simple intuitive way to do additive in a hardware modular.
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.

Arneb
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Arneb » Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:50 pm

Jaypee wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:23 am
I dream of an euclidean generator integrating boolean operators.

For instance :

The second track doesn't play when the 1st track plays.

The 3rd track doesn't play when the first AND the second one play. And so on.

In other words: the first track has the 1st priority. Whenever the 1st track plays, the other don't.
The second track has the priority over the 3rd.
The third track only plays when the 1st, and 2nd track don't play.
And so on.

I know doepfer 166 exists and I tried it, but in reality, it doesn't work so well. I still have very small trigger because, 166 needs "some" time to analyse the several inputs.

Wish I could hack O_C Piqued mode and implement this...
A bit late, but you might want to take a look at the Starling Via Gateseq.

dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dooj88 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:03 am

i believe the forthcoming flux multi channel trigger module will have that functionality

calvinsomething
Wiggling with Experience

Post by calvinsomething » Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:21 am

Ok, this one I'm pretty sure doesn't exist... An LFO/Env where you can draw out the shape with sliders.

Arneb
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Arneb » Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:41 am

calvinsomething wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:21 am
Ok, this one I'm pretty sure doesn't exist... An LFO/Env where you can draw out the shape with sliders.

- MI Stages can do that, though I'm not sure what the word "spacing" is supposed to mean in your proposal
- Verbos Voltage Multistage, though I'm not sure what it does
- Befaco Muxlicer probably
- Technically any slider-based sequencer - Metropolis, Stillson Hammer, Pittsburgh Lifeforms...

calvinsomething
Wiggling with Experience

Post by calvinsomething » Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:50 am

Spacing would be the time between each point. Quantized to the clock, or free.

The shape determines how each point is connected to the next. Either a straight direct line (like a triangle), a curve (middle position), or stepped (pulse wave-live, full CW position).

calvinsomething
Wiggling with Experience

Post by calvinsomething » Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:32 pm

Okay this is a good one:

A CV controlled SH-101 style sequencer. (CV controlled rather than clocked) Just plug an LFO in and go.

It could be the size of Intellijel Scale, or maybe even smaller.

edit: I was thinking of this sort of like a quantizer, but I thought maybe that was a bad comparison... Now I think it was right, because it would need a trigger in as well.

So even though it's a sequencer in that you choose how the notes progress as voltage is increased, it's like a quantizer in that there should be a S+H built in so you can have the option of triggering the output in time. Or perhaps the sequence playing could be clocked, so it won't send out a new gate every time the note changes, but if the note changes AND it's receiving a clock signal at the same time.

calvinsomething
Wiggling with Experience

Post by calvinsomething » Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:42 am

Arneb wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:41 am
- Befaco Muxlicer probably
Just looked at this for another reason and it is AMAZING.

It could do either of the last two things I suggested, just slightly different.... but the flexibility is insane.

I want it...

dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dooj88 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:43 am

calvinsomething wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:50 am
Spacing would be the time between each point. Quantized to the clock, or free.

The shape determines how each point is connected to the next. Either a straight direct line (like a triangle), a curve (middle position), or stepped (pulse wave-live, full CW position).
so spacing is like a clock divider per step, and shape is a skew bias - lin, log, exp or off. cool.

calvinsomething
Wiggling with Experience

Post by calvinsomething » Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:07 am

Correct, unless you select unquantized, then the spacing range would be based on whatever the default range is. And also correct about the skew bias, even though my drawing didn't make it obvious, lol.

Foghorn
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Foghorn » Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:12 am

OK, not a module, but an idea.
What if you could have some normaling between modules that would be overidden by patchcords being plugged into the module.
Like an ARP 2600, but modular in that the modules would be normalled together through a ribbon cable plugged into the back of the module.
This could get rid of a majority of the patch cables.
A ribbon cable could have up to 16 channels, like a 16 wire power cable.
dip switches could be on the back of modules to choose which channel (wire in the ribbon) was used for each normalled parameter.
It could even have audio normalled using a convention like channel 1, channel 2, channel 3 ETC.. going into the mixer.
Even if it just dealt with control voltages, this could make patching quite a bit easier.
I know this sounds more like something that could be implemented in a single manufacturer system, but that would be OK too.
And you would not have to "normal" every module.
Too much noise pickup with audio?
Where I work we have ribbon cables that have pairs or wire which are twisted within the ribbon for noise immunity and to keep down the transmission of high frequency signals.
Of course, eventually there would be solely "behind the panel" modules which would confuse the hack* out of everybody.
And to all who say this goes against the whole idea of modular, well Whoop..Whoop to you.

Foghorn

*EDIT: DOH..I meant "confuse the heck" as the saying "confuse the hack" refers to the practice of preventing one from messing with a system through the use of misinformation.
I'm not sure what's going on, but, well ah crap..what now?
.......Not really a musician.......

CaneMan
Wiggling with Experience

Post by CaneMan » Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:51 am

fredke wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:43 am
A response curve function (a kind of waveshaper for modulators if you wish). Especially a LIN>LOG converter !
(LOG is the opposite of EXP)
Oh man. It's not hard to find a LIN -> EXP converter (Disting MK4 is what I have in my rack). For exponential to logarithmic, the easiest approach may be to get a DC coupled VCA with a logarithmic response. For patching:
  • Plug a constant voltage into the signal input of the VCA.
  • Plug the exponential signal into the logarithmic CV input of the VCA.
  • The output likely won't be perfectly linear, but it should be close.
Ladik, as always, has a dual VCA (A-011) that does just that. However, there are other VCA's with switchable, morphable, or separate jack CV inputs that would fit the bill.

calvinsomething
Wiggling with Experience

Post by calvinsomething » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:02 am

Foghorn wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:12 am
What if you could have some normaling between modules that would be overidden by patchcords being plugged into the module.
Like an ARP 2600, but modular in that the modules would be normalled together through a ribbon cable plugged into the back of the module.
This exists. The Erica techno system is all normalled through ribbon cables.

And it's a brilliant idea that I hope gets put into practice more. It doesn't interfere with "the spirit of modular" because it's easily overridden. All it does is allow you to see what's going on more.

Being able to customize normalizations is something that will likely come to eurorack eventually.

Phitar
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Phitar » Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:25 pm

I wish there was a passive module (max size 2hp) that kept the firmware updated on all my other modules. :hihi:
At the Enrichment Center we promise never to value your safety above your unique ideas and creativity. - Portal

Waiting for the electrician... or someone like him. - Firesign

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:46 pm

calvinsomething wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:32 pm
Okay this is a good one:

A CV controlled SH-101 style sequencer. (CV controlled rather than clocked) Just plug an LFO in and go.

edit: I was thinking of this sort of like a quantizer, but I thought maybe that was a bad comparison... Now I think it was right, because it would need a trigger in as well.

So even though it's a sequencer in that you choose how the notes progress as voltage is increased, it's like a quantizer in that there should be a S+H built in so you can have the option of triggering the output in time. Or perhaps the sequence playing could be clocked, so it won't send out a new gate every time the note changes, but if the note changes AND it's receiving a clock signal at the same time.
You should take some time to read the Doepfer A-155 sequencer manual.

calvinsomething
Wiggling with Experience

Post by calvinsomething » Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:54 pm

It's cool, but very big and not quantized.

The point of saying an SH-101 sequencer would be so you have keys and don't have to worry about all the real estate of having knobs or sliders.

Foghorn
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Foghorn » Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:58 pm

Foghorn wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:12 am
OK, not a module, but an idea.
This could get rid of a majority of the patch cables.
A ribbon cable could have up to 16 channels, like a 16 wire power cable.
dip switches could be on the back of modules to choose which channel (wire in the ribbon) was used for each normalled parameter.
It could even have audio normalled using a convention like channel 1, channel 2, channel 3 ETC.. going into the mixer.
Even if it just dealt with control voltages, this could make patching quite a bit easier.
I know this sounds more like something that could be implemented in a single manufacturer system, but that would be OK too.
And you would not have to "normal" every module.
Too much noise pickup with audio?
Where I work we have ribbon cables that have pairs or wire which are twisted within the ribbon for noise immunity and to keep down the transmission of high frequency signals.
Of course, eventually there would be solely "behind the panel" modules which would confuse the hack* out of everybody.
And to all who say this goes against the whole idea of modular, well Whoop..Whoop to you.

Foghorn

*EDIT: DOH..I meant "confuse the heck" as the saying "confuse the hack" refers to the practice of preventing one from messing with a system through the use of misinformation.
EDIT: DOH I just totally made that up(what the Hack), I hope it catches on
I'm not sure what's going on, but, well ah crap..what now?
.......Not really a musician.......

rupa
Common Wiggler

Post by rupa » Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:36 pm

calvinsomething wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:32 pm
Okay this is a good one:

i haven't owned an SH-101, just one of the Behringer clones with the (sadly) not-cloned sequencer, but as far as i can tell the Antimatter Brain Seed gets pretty close in 4hp:

* can record up to 1000 steps
* has some (simple) quantization options
* runs clocked by default, but has a 'cv addressed' mode for scrubbing, rather than clocking, through the sequence.

Arneb
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Arneb » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:15 pm

calvinsomething wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:02 am
Being able to customize normalizations is something that will likely come to eurorack eventually.
IDK, the CV/Gate bus on the original A-100 specification kinda serves a similar purpose, but it hasn't really caught on (IMHO for good reasons).

Dennis
Common Wiggler

Post by Dennis » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:58 am

i know if that sounds silly and offensive to many people and im not sure if it has been suggested yet.....
but if there was a module consisting a fully voltage controllable software like Serum from xfer (or a effect rack used in DAWs) to make neurofunk basses

i would be soooooo happy :mrgreen:

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:31 am

https://dood.al/pinktrombone/

That speech synth needs to be a eurorack module! A mouse is worthless since it can only interact with one of the many controls at a time, with CV to all of its controls you could produce speech / singing / beat-boxing and very scary/uncanny/comedic human-like noises.

It would also be extremely unique.

Intellijel or Rossum should do do a collaboration with them :banana: (or just about any competent eurorack manufacturer, they were they first two i thought of though).

Return to “Eurorack Modules”