The modules that should exist (but don't)

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: The modules that should exist (but don't)

Post by dooj88 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:16 pm

bemushroomed wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:31 am
https://dood.al/pinktrombone/

That speech synth needs to be a eurorack module! A mouse is worthless since it can only interact with one of the many controls at a time, with CV to all of its controls you could produce speech / singing / beat-boxing and very scary/uncanny/comedic human-like noises.

It would also be extremely unique.

Intellijel or Rossum should do do a collaboration with them :banana: (or just about any competent eurorack manufacturer, they were they first two i thought of though).
bwaaaaaapbwaaapbwapbwapbwap bwaaaaaaabwooahhh!!! lol what an amazing creation. imagine some sort of Mister Grassi touchplate combined with a planar joystick with cv control. i'd be so down.

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:17 pm

dooj88 wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:16 pm
bwaaaaaapbwaaapbwapbwapbwap bwaaaaaaabwooahhh!!! lol what an amazing creation. imagine some sort of Mister Grassi touchplate combined with a planar joystick with cv control. i'd be so down.
That would be a lot of fun indeed.

It's also the ultimate prank call synth lol.. I've been tempted a few times to play around with this at _very_ high volume.... imagine hearing the sound, not knowing what the hell it is, like someone having a very odd singing practice while at the same time choking to death and having some type of seizure :hihi:

dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dooj88 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:45 pm

bemushroomed wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:17 pm
dooj88 wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:16 pm
That would be a lot of fun indeed.

It's also the ultimate prank call synth lol.. I've been tempted a few times to play around with this at _very_ high volume.... imagine hearing the sound, not knowing what the hell it is, like someone having a very odd singing practice while at the same time choking to death and having some type of seizure :hihi:
:lol: :lol: please for the love of god record that.. do you have prank callers running amok over there still? us has finally cracked down on them, but some slip through occasionally. i know what i'm doing next time.

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:19 pm

Hehe I might just connect to my neighbors bluetooth speaker that they have completely open and seems to be on almost all the time lol.. that'd be fun.

Last year (very early Christmas morning) i connected and played them some Whitehouse. Because who wouldn't want to wake up to this;

:lol:

ray
Common Wiggler

Post by ray » Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:42 am

bemushroomed wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:31 am
https://dood.al/pinktrombone/

That speech synth needs to be a eurorack module! A mouse is worthless since it can only interact with one of the many controls at a time, with CV to all of its controls you could produce speech / singing / beat-boxing and very scary/uncanny/comedic human-like noises.

It would also be extremely unique.

Intellijel or Rossum should do do a collaboration with them :banana: (or just about any competent eurorack manufacturer, they were they first two i thought of though).
The MI Plaits has a speech/voice mode.

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:11 am

ray wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:42 am
The MI Plaits has a speech/voice mode.
It's nothing even remotely similar though.

dragosandriana
Learning to Wiggle

Post by dragosandriana » Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:20 am

Tverse wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:57 pm
I wouldn't mind seeing a small basic DIY Infrared to gate/trigger module.

Something with learn mode so it can be used with any remote control.

Who doesn't have some remote lying around they aren't using?

I don't know how is done, though. I'd be interested too!

mskala
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mskala » Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:15 am

IR remote control is a fun idea, but I'd be concerned about the response time. There's some documentation of different protocols at https://www.sbprojects.net/knowledge/ir/index.php which suggests that the common consumer remote controls take a few milliseconds up to a few tens of milliseconds to transmit each message, often variable with message content; at the longer end that's definitely going to be enough that people will complain about "latency" when they try to play musical notes with it. If you have the opportunity to design both the transmitter and the receiver you can aim for a better response time, but if you're learning the signals sent by whatever random remote the user wants to use, then you may be stuck with whatever slow protocol that remote happens to be transmitting.

dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dooj88 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:38 am

anyone know if cellphone headphone jacks can output DC signals? might not be too hard to code something that outputs CV based on your phone's gyroscope information.

of course there's probably a way to do this with something like an exper sleepers module and a PC application with your phone in dev mode, but i was thinking of an easy all in one solution.

Arneb
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Arneb » Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:52 am

I just realized that, according to my usually reasonably good Modulargrid-fu, no one ever made a one-knob compressor for Euro. I can't be the only performance-focused modular techno wannabe artist who'd rather have multiple channels of one-knob compression than one Jellysquasher and who'd like to not be constrained in mixer choices that way, right?

(Edit: MI Streams' compressor mode is technically one-knob. Buying Streams for the compressor would be horribly inefficient HP-wise though, because Streams' other modes use three knobs per channel. As far as I'm concerned 12HP could fit four channels, each of them with sidechain possibilities, with sane ergonomics.)

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:08 pm

Arneb wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:52 am
I just realized that, according to my usually reasonably good Modulargrid-fu, no one ever made a one-knob compressor for Euro. I can't be the only performance-focused modular techno wannabe artist who'd rather have multiple channels of one-knob compression than one Jellysquasher and who'd like to not be constrained in mixer choices that way, right?

(Edit: MI Streams' compressor mode is technically one-knob. Buying Streams for the compressor would be horribly inefficient HP-wise though, because Streams' other modes use three knobs per channel. As far as I'm concerned 12HP could fit four channels, each of them with sidechain possibilities, with sane ergonomics.)
Have you seen the WMD MSCL ?!? 4hp, one knob sets compression and threshold. Anything simpler than that is useless.
All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:56 am

seta666 wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:47 am
This one..
https://store.cherryaudio.com/modules/c ... -converter
Tons of CV-to-MIDI CC converter modules: ADDAC221, Befaco VCMC, Doepfer a-192-1, ...
Also lots of options for MIDI Notes: Disting, VCMC, SDS_Digital Melisma, SDS_Digital SDS_VCO, Doepfer a-192-2, ADDAC222, ...

seta666
Common Wiggler

Post by seta666 » Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:11 am

Paranormal Patroler wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:56 am
Tons of CV-to-MIDI CC converter modules: ADDAC221, Befaco VCMC, Doepfer a-192-1, ...
Disting mk4 has a note/gate mode, I asked for a cc mode too, would be nice

Doepfer 192-1 is not available anymore andI find befaco/addac too big.

Something like that ( around 10hp)with a display that would allow you to change cc# and midi channel would be perfect for me.

Do you you know if any smaller modules like that?

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:23 am

seta666 wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:11 am
Paranormal Patroler wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:56 am
Disting mk4 has a note/gate mode, I asked for a cc mode too, would be nice

Doepfer 192-1 is not available anymore andI find befaco/addac too big.

Something like that ( around 10hp)with a display that would allow you to change cc# and midi channel would be perfect for me.

Do you you know if any smaller modules like that?
SDS Digital Melisma is 8hp and can do one channel of CC. The SDS_VCO is 3hp and can do more, but you have to check the dedicated manual for MIDI, I don't remember the specifics. No screen though. You'll easily find a Doepfer a-192-1 used. It's easy to set up via windows computer, there's a dedicated software for this. There's also the kenton cv2midi pro which is standalone if you don't have space.

seta666
Common Wiggler

Post by seta666 » Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:31 am

The SDS_VCO looks perfect, and many modes available. Thanks!

inoshi
Wiggling with Experience

Post by inoshi » Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:29 pm

Inoshi’s Groovinator is intended to generate patterns of control voltages based on time that occurs between events.
It consists of 3 stages: the divider, the generator, and the shaper.

The divider has 3 trigger inputs, 1 CV input, and 1 trigger output. (this is the stripped-down version)
The first trig in is a clock input, which can be used with variable clock speeds while accurately calculating the time between clocks to generate the next event. This is used to set the ‘tempo’ of the module.
The CV input is used to divide / multiply the clock speed by a quantization factor set by trig in 2. The division / multiplication can be turned off by leaving this unpatched. Turning off multiplication / division also simply allows the clocks to pass through.
The second trig in is a clock division / multiplication quantizer. The time between triggers is calculated in the same manner as for trig in 1. The ratio of this time to that received by trig in 1 is used to quantize the clock divider / multiplier. Higher clock speeds will result in a higher resolution of the rates at which the divider / multiplier operate, up to 1/64. Lower clock speeds result in lower resolution, down to 1.
The trigger output is the result of this division / multiplication, and represents the speed of the generator / shaper.
Trig in 3 is used to reset the generator.

The generator is a simple sawtooth LFO, which resets to 0V when a trigger is received at the second trigger input and begins rising to +5V (There could be knobs to control start / end voltages). The speed of the ramp is determined by the clock output of the divider. The output is fed into a shaper.

The shaper is basically just a Ladik S-410 Shaper where the window size is driven by a clock input, or optionally normalized to a division / multiplication of the divider output. Ta-da! The output of the shaper is your new groovy CV!

(hidden mode)
Inside the module is a jumper. you have to take the front panel off to get to it. It's non-standard, so you'll probably need to buy more jumpers.
Adding the jumping enables chaos mode.
This basically turns on an internal Hypster when controls the parameters of the module against your will. The cv inputs have little to no effects.
A panel slides out with a touch-screen and 20 cv outputs. The touch-screen controls a computer for doing calculus on your signal and using digital logic modules to decimate the signal in up to 20 different ways.

dBVelocity
Common Wiggler

Post by dBVelocity » Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:28 pm

I want a basic analog switch setup like on the the arp 2600, rather two of them in 2hp.
No knobs, just a trigger/clock to switch the routing A or B to C / C to A or B It would be 8 jacks total as a dual and totally feasible. Then give it a black panel ;)

.. all the switches I look at in this width have some knob or manual switch added in..

I don't care for manual wiggling into a tightly patched area for such a simple function that I'd rather trigger from a timed event.

Yeah I see other stuff at 4 hp and I feel like this is one of those that could be better suited in 2 hp as a dual.

Arneb
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Arneb » Thu May 21, 2020 2:07 pm

A simple gate counter which isn't Paratek Taktomer. I mean, nothing against Paratek, but not every rack's power supply can handle the tubes.

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Fri May 22, 2020 3:15 pm

Arneb wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 2:07 pm
A simple gate counter which isn't Paratek Taktomer. I mean, nothing against Paratek, but not every rack's power supply can handle the tubes.
Hm, what would one use a gate counter for? It is such a simple function that most makers could do it but is there a market?
My first modular track where I used drum modules! BIA, Entity Percussion, Chimera, Elements. There's also a ton of FM cross modulation from the Instruō Cš-L in there and the Metasonix R56 is a big part of the sound. :star:

We also just did a live performance. Just eurorack, a mixer and two nitwits. :hyper: http://tiny.cc/8ndspz

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Fri May 22, 2020 3:17 pm

I want a morphable, sequencable LFO.. something like voltage block but you'll be able to dial in interesting LFO morphs and at the same time be able to sequence these (notes are overrated anyways ;) ).

autopoiesis
Ultra Wiggler

Post by autopoiesis » Fri May 22, 2020 5:05 pm

something like the macro machines storage strip (patch cable-free communication across the busboard), but for clock and reset. and then a bunch of nice sequencers and clockable LFOs that support the protocol.

how nice would it be if everything that was receiving a master clock could so easily have its phase reset by a master run/reset signal. I think in particular of clockable LFOs that don't have reset inputs.

Arneb
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Arneb » Fri May 22, 2020 5:27 pm

lisa wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 3:15 pm
Arneb wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 2:07 pm
Hm, what would one use a gate counter for? It is such a simple function that most makers could do it but is there a market?
Measure counting in live play was the use case I had in mind. You're probably right that there's no market though - most live modular players likely don't want to "cheat".

dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dooj88 » Sun May 24, 2020 9:51 am

bemushroomed wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 3:17 pm
I want a morphable, sequencable LFO.. something like voltage block but you'll be able to dial in interesting LFO morphs and at the same time be able to sequence these (notes are overrated anyways ;) ).
this might be overkill, but the sample player mode on the e352 in one shot lfo mode would get you there. plus all that morphing goodness.

luupp
Learning to Wiggle

Post by luupp » Sun May 24, 2020 10:47 am

A couple of my friends and myself were discussing this the other day, we are having such a trouble finding pseudo-random modules, which is a shame. I think it's one of the most fun aspect of being modular, and not neccesserily for generative music only. Drums, percs, melodies etc. I'm talking more in the line of LowerRenz on o_C, or Frap Tools Sapel. Would love to bridge the gap more between MaxMSP and euro. Especially since I always find these things to be an infinite source of inspiration.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”