The modules that should exist (but don't)

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

porphyrion
Wiggling with Experience

Re: The modules that should exist (but don't)

Post by porphyrion » Sun May 24, 2020 12:25 pm

Personally looking for a Pulsar-23-style set of medium-sized, easy-to-use loopers with pressure-sensitive pads. Don't know where to start best. €1850 for a Pulsar is over budget atm... The sounds of the Pulsar I think I can match using a large enough array of different modules but the interface looks supremely fast-

dekemcculo
Common Wiggler

Post by dekemcculo » Sun May 24, 2020 12:36 pm

luupp wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 10:47 am
A couple of my friends and myself were discussing this the other day, we are having such a trouble finding pseudo-random modules, which is a shame. I think it's one of the most fun aspect of being modular, and not neccesserily for generative music only. Drums, percs, melodies etc. I'm talking more in the line of LowerRenz on o_C, or Frap Tools Sapel. Would love to bridge the gap more between MaxMSP and euro. Especially since I always find these things to be an infinite source of inspiration.
this seems like something that there's a lot of... but I suppose it depends what you mean by pseudo random...

There's Turing Machine type modules for loopable random, with quantizers to keep random in a certain range or certain notes, there's chaos based modules like from Snazzy FX or NLC which are not random but chaotic which can be more musical, there's wogglebug which apparently is a musical random (I think I've heard this is maybe done with filtered noise somehow? there may be interesting pseudo random to be made by filtering noise into a S&H to limit the range in different ways), this is to say nothing of fully digital options, teletype you could program something to be as "pseudo" or as "random" as you like, and then something like monome crow you could pretty much just connect directly to max and upload whatever you wanted I think... plus there's other computer interface modules where you could just run your max/msp patch in. I'm sure there's stuff i'm missing, but definitely a lot of options out there for this type of thing...

Arneb
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Arneb » Sun May 24, 2020 7:24 pm

luupp wrote:
A couple of my friends and myself were discussing this the other day, we are having such a trouble finding pseudo-random modules, which is a shame. I think it's one of the most fun aspect of being modular, and not neccesserily for generative music only. Drums, percs, melodies etc. I'm talking more in the line of LowerRenz on o_C, or Frap Tools Sapel. Would love to bridge the gap more between MaxMSP and euro. Especially since I always find these things to be an infinite source of inspiration.
You should probably clarify what you mean by "pseudo-random", because the way programmers use the term a "pseudo-random module" is any random module which doesn't rely on an analog noise source.

dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dooj88 » Tue May 26, 2020 10:26 am

Arneb wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 7:24 pm
luupp wrote:
You should probably clarify what you mean by "pseudo-random", because the way programmers use the term a "pseudo-random module" is any random module which doesn't rely on an analog noise source.
LowerRenz is based on chaos algorithms. Sapel is true random and curated random - it's filtered noise which is further quantized/slewed. when i hear pseudo-random i think of things like Marbles. if you're looking for more novel forms of CV outside the classic sample and hold, look at NLC's chaos based modules, bytebeat patterns, ADDAC stochastic generator.. there's quite a lot of variety out there.

Thighpaulsandra
Common Wiggler

Post by Thighpaulsandra » Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:19 pm

I want a simple eight input - one output mixer. Rather like the Manhattan Analog Mix but with eight inputs instead of three. Even if it was 12hp I'd happily go with that if it had proper knobs.

Thighp.

cackland
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cackland » Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:27 pm

Thighpaulsandra wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:19 pm
I want a simple eight input - one output mixer. Rather like the Manhattan Analog Mix but with eight inputs instead of three. Even if it was 12hp I'd happily go with that if it had proper knobs.

Thighp.
Here is my 8 channel stereo mixer in 12 HP
4DF2DA6C-C76A-4B7A-BF42-C3CB44511D26.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dooj88 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:13 pm

cackland wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:27 pm
Thighpaulsandra wrote:

Thighp.

*smacks desk* now that's a fuckin mixer! are you selling those, sir?

sorry, i may have been getting slightly frustrated in my multi year search for the perfect one...

SavageMessiah
Common Wiggler

Post by SavageMessiah » Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:00 pm

Thighpaulsandra wrote:

Thighp.
If you chain 2 Befaco STMix together you'd have 8 inputs + one AUX in totalling 12 hp.

Thighpaulsandra
Common Wiggler

Post by Thighpaulsandra » Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:29 pm

cackland wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:27 pm
Thighpaulsandra wrote:

Thighp.

That looks great. Is it as transparent as the MA Mix and are these for sale?

Thighp

cackland
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cackland » Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:31 pm

dooj88 wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:13 pm

*smacks desk* now that's a fuckin mixer! are you selling those, sir?

sorry, i may have been getting slightly frustrated in my multi year search for the perfect one...
Thighpaulsandra wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:29 pm

That looks great. Is it as transparent as the MA Mix and are these for sale?

Thighp
Thanks guys. Its a very simple transparent module. Its actually 6 stereo channels and 2 line level stereo channels (noted by knob color on ch7 & ch8). I was actually thinking of building an upgraded version with a couple of other features, but got a lot of other projects on so not sure if and when that might happen.

I hadn't considered building a bunch of these as it was merely a module for my own system that I needed, however if you are interested, I could build a couple for those interested. Nothing would be quick though, as currently in the process of moving countries and with the current global crisis, delays are inevitable.

Send me a private message if interested :)

Tun
Common Wiggler

Post by Tun » Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:27 am

Single band parametric eq with controls for freq, cut/boost, q... to fonish off my kick signal chain

dcbb
Learning to Wiggle

Post by dcbb » Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:32 am

A "Sinfonion light" – multi channel quantiser with mini keyboard that lets me store different states (i.e. note selections / scales) and step through them with a clock, or address them by CV.

Arpitecht can do this, but just for 1 channel and with clumsy note selection.
The upcoming Bard's Quartett is almost exactly that thing, but it will only give access to 8 states.

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:01 am

dcbb wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:32 am
A "Sinfonion light" – multi channel quantiser with mini keyboard that lets me store different states (i.e. note selections / scales) and step through them with a clock, or address them by CV.

Arpitecht can do this, but just for 1 channel and with clumsy note selection.
The upcoming Bard's Quartett is almost exactly that thing, but it will only give access to 8 states.
It's not a quantizer, but the SDS Digital Melisma can output MIDI (and thus be plugged to either a MIDI to CV, or a MIDI controllable quantizer like the 1983) and can contain up to 8 banks of chords that can have lists up to 99 steps long. You can either CV control the list, or clock through the whole progression. Just saying. Oh, and it's 8 hp, so it doesn't take much space.
All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.

dcbb
Learning to Wiggle

Post by dcbb » Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:41 am

Paranormal Patroler wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:01 am
It's not a quantizer, but the SDS Digital Melisma can output MIDI (and thus be plugged to either a MIDI to CV, or a MIDI controllable quantizer like the 1983) and can contain up to 8 banks of chords that can have lists up to 99 steps long. You can either CV control the list, or clock through the whole progression. Just saying. Oh, and it's 8 hp, so it doesn't take much space.
Thanks a lot, I didn't know that module! Just have a Harmonaig for chords.

Going from a module to MIDI and back through another module to get CV feels pretty weird, but I see that adding CV out would make it larger and probably more expensive. Would be awesome to have a CV out expander. This said, I'm considering to add a Matriarch to my setup, which would work perfectly with MIDI alone...

Have you actually tried this with the 1983? The 1983 reads so cool on paper, but people seem to have problems.

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:35 pm

dcbb wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:41 am
Have you actually tried this with the 1983? The 1983 reads so cool on paper, but people seem to have problems.
I have a 1983 on the way, so I plan to check this out. In the meantime also check the SDS Digital Sequarallel, cause I think it's closer to what you're looking for.

The Melisma is intended as a CV to MIDI module, the aim was to control polyphony in a simple, musical manner, from your modular. I don't see why going through MIDI is a bad idea, the 1983 even has a MIDI input pin in the back and the Melisma has MIDI output pin, you wouldn't even have to plug the two! And nowadays MIDI is TRS in most cases, so just one cable like any other!

raccoonboy
Veteran Wiggler

Post by raccoonboy » Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:38 pm

A sub osc that can take a tri, sine, pulse or saw wave input and output simultaneous in-phase tri, sine, square and saw that are -1 or - 2 octaves down.

acgenerator
Veteran Wiggler

Post by acgenerator » Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:04 pm

dooj88 wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:38 am
anyone know if cellphone headphone jacks can output DC signals? might not be too hard to code something that outputs CV based on your phone's gyroscope information.

of course there's probably a way to do this with something like an exper sleepers module and a PC application with your phone in dev mode, but i was thinking of an easy all in one solution.
Bastl Sense takes any sensor.
https://bastl-instruments.com/eurorack/modules/sense

SINK does this with a small wireless device
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/instrumen ... gs-2-4sink

what gives?
Common Wiggler

Post by what gives? » Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:17 am

A eurorack port of the aemodular algodrone would be super peachy

dcbb
Learning to Wiggle

Post by dcbb » Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:48 am

Paranormal Patroler wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:35 pm
dcbb wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:41 am
I have a 1983 on the way, so I plan to check this out. In the meantime also check the SDS Digital Sequarallel, cause I think it's closer to what you're looking for.

The Melisma is intended as a CV to MIDI module, the aim was to control polyphony in a simple, musical manner, from your modular. I don't see why going through MIDI is a bad idea, the 1983 even has a MIDI input pin in the back and the Melisma has MIDI output pin, you wouldn't even have to plug the two! And nowadays MIDI is TRS in most cases, so just one cable like any other!
I'd love to hear about your experience with the 1983, once you have tested!

huffnPuff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by huffnPuff » Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:31 am

An ADC with hysteresis for generating triggers from analog signals. The Dresno for example is acceptable for audio purposes (if you dig the 8bit sound) but totally useless for logic purposes / driving a patch in a predictable and consistent manner. Simply put - the digital signal it generates is all over the place; it sends the wrong triggers at the wrong time.

3 or 4 bit are enough for my purposes.

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:43 am

huffnPuff wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:31 am
Simply put - the digital signal it generates is all over the place; it sends the wrong triggers at the wrong time.
Crap, really? The Drezno etc are so interesting, I've been considering these for a while, I'm amazed that you say they suck at exactly they're supposed to do best.

huffnPuff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by huffnPuff » Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:49 am

I didn't use the words crap or suck. It appears it was designed with audio applications in mind, rather than logic.
An ADC with hysteresis would suck for audio purposes, but would solve those issues.

Edit: If you send a slow clock to the ADC you greatly reduce the chance of misplaced triggers, but I'd like to drive a patch with voltage (crossing a threshold) rather than a clock. The Dresno isn't suitable for that / wasn't designed with this use-case in mind.

mskala
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mskala » Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:54 am

Hysteresis on a comparator is achieved by positive feedback, and I wonder if that would help in your application - mix a little bit of the Dreszno's output (either the analog output or a digital one depending in which boundaries you're interested in) into its input so that when it switches it will be less eager to switch back.

bollyhood
Common Wiggler

Post by bollyhood » Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:14 am

CV interface for lovense. :booty: :zen: :ban:

huffnPuff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by huffnPuff » Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:10 pm

mskala wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:54 am
Hysteresis on a comparator is achieved by positive feedback, and I wonder if that would help in your application - mix a little bit of the Dreszno's output (either the analog output or a digital one depending in which boundaries you're interested in) into its input so that when it switches it will be less eager to switch back.
Thanks for a good suggestion, I'll report back once I gave it a try.

Edit- I took a linear function from (ahem) Function into a mixer, added the (relative; i.e bit 4) LSB output from Dresno (attenuated to taste) and sent the mix to Dresno's ADC input. It made things worse actually, no matter how I tweaked it.

(Explained further) I'm monitoring the results by sending the 4 most significant bits (i.e. bits 4,5,6,7) to Numberwang and monitoring the 16 LEDs. They should light up in sequence (0 to 15 and back again). Instead they flash like an 80s DJ light setup. All over the place. It looks better with no feedback. Not saying it can't be done, just that it's not working for me. I'm waiting for the Mystic Circuits Vert to clear customs, it may work better but somehow I doubt it.

For logic purposes you really need a DAC with in-built hysteresis so that you get just the right number of triggers at the right time (more or less - it's bound to impact timing). I'm assuming it can be done in a noisy Eurorack environment, maybe I'm assuming too much. No need for more that 4 bits as far as I'm concerned.

Epilogue: Coming to think of it, course it doesn't work - it causes the Dresno to vascillate between two adjacent values. It could possibly be done by tapping the analog output but that involves too much hassle and resources (takes up the DAC section that I'd use for other stuff). What works for a single comparator is not so trivial to adapt to a multi-bit ADC.
Last edited by huffnPuff on Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”