The modules that should exist (but don't)

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

pelang
Common Wiggler

Re: The modules that should exist (but don't)

Post by pelang » Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:15 pm

6x6 matrix mixer

cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cptnal » Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:49 pm

pelang wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:15 pm
6x6 matrix mixer
:drunkhomer:

b9
Common Wiggler

Post by b9 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:38 pm

a eurorack 32 hp ua apollo interface

sneak-thief
Ultra Wiggler

Post by sneak-thief » Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:58 pm

Quantized clock-sync'd muter. Can record and playback mute/unmute sequences.

Use case: you want to mute/unmute a channel (audio/cv/gate) in n-measures. This lets you bring sequences and sounds in and out in perfect time, eg. mute channel 1 is set to toggle after 2 measures - press mute button 1 and wait 2 measures at which point it will mute or unmute it.

Inputs normalized to 5V so if nothing is plugged into an input, it can generate clock pulses.

2.8" touchscreen.

I wrote up specifications (data model, schematics, functions, etc.) and ordered components for this about 5 years ago but never got around to finishing it.

I'd gladly share my documentation with anyone who wants to make this. I'd be happy just to see it exist.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
http://sneak-thief.com - raw electro-funk!

vrfats
Common Wiggler

Post by vrfats » Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:24 am

A module that you run all your gates through to apply different swings.

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:14 am

vrfats wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:24 am
4ms SCM and Abstract Data ADE-33 can do this. I’m sure there are other modules too.
New modular track with a ton of FM cross modulation and drum synthesis. 🔥

vrfats
Common Wiggler

Post by vrfats » Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:28 pm

lisa wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:14 am
vrfats wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:24 am
4ms SCM and Abstract Data ADE-33 can do this. I’m sure there are other modules too.
I have the SCM and use the swing on it sometimes. I dont always use this as my source of gates and itd be cool to be able to program /modulate weird swings like ableton has and apply them to a number of sequenced gates generated elsewhere. This might be an engineering problem due to time stuff.

Arneb
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Arneb » Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:41 pm

Eowave Swing is probably worth a look, though it's single-channel.

As for "weird swings like Ableton has", I think that people are making the mistake of thinking that sequencing in Euro could beat DAWs at their own game. It can't and it shouldn't try to. If you want DAW sequencing, get a cheap laptop and one of the Expert Sleepers interface modules and sequence from that. Euro sequencing is at its best when it actively embraces the limitations of the 3U hardware format and rejects even x0x-style step sequencing, never mind DAW sequencing - think Grids, Voltage Block, Euclidean Circles.

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz » Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:36 pm

Stereo LPG w/normalizations
THUMPR BC SC

pablowdadon
Learning to Wiggle

Post by pablowdadon » Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:11 am

Some more creative cv generators, it’s start getting a lil bit awkward to talk about physical modeling, granularization and we still have mainly really simple modulators rather than complex one .
IE, take for example bouncing ball patch, wouldn’t it be cool if it would exists a “fireworks” patch? A module that emits a ramp followed by a burst of different cvs, like light traces.
Another thing i would be interested is a cv-gate, not really a comparator, but a module that monitors cv and once setted a trashold you’re able to do things when cv stays in range or viceversa

PS: I know there are some complex modulators out there but none of em do something like what i wrote

Avdvorm
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Avdvorm » Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:08 am

pelang wrote:
6x6 matrix mixer
Probably soon. Instruo lion.

apestate
Common Wiggler

Post by apestate » Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:56 am

pelang wrote:
6x6 matrix mixer
Doesn't instruo have one in the pipeline?

seicocorp
Learning to Wiggle

Post by seicocorp » Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:49 am

I have two:

-Digital portamento/legato/slew (to keep v/oct precision intact!) with time compensation and possibility to slave to ext clock sources. Perferably in quad and maybe some clever algos, like overshoot a little bit and slew back to the right tone, bounce/wobble, different curve types, stuff like that.

-Quantizer with midi-in, play the tones on a midi keyboard that should be in the scale. And possibility to do multiple octaves/entire scale. Like only root on the lowest, root and fifth on 2nd oct, colortones on oct 3, only 7th, 11th up high. And stuff like that.

dcbb
Learning to Wiggle

Post by dcbb » Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:04 am

seicocorp wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:49 am
-Quantizer with midi-in, play the tones on a midi keyboard that should be in the scale. And possibility to do multiple octaves/entire scale. Like only root on the lowest, root and fifth on 2nd oct, colortones on oct 3, only 7th, 11th up high. And stuff like that.
Bastl 1983?

Don't have one, but according to specs it has a mode for that, at least for quantising to the held notes.

seicocorp
Learning to Wiggle

Post by seicocorp » Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:08 pm

dcbb wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:04 am
seicocorp wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:49 am
Bastl 1983?

Don't have one, but according to specs it has a mode for that, at least for quantising to the held notes.
Thanks looks interesting! Limited to one oct repeating over all other octaves, but midi in would be such a timesaver.

Zentek
Common Wiggler

Post by Zentek » Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:38 am

fredke wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:43 am
A response curve function (a kind of waveshaper for modulators if you wish). Especially a LIN>LOG converter !
(LOG is the opposite of EXP)
The Klavis Flexshaper can do exactly that, plus the shape settings are all CV controlled.
Klavis
Fine Modular Designs

Arneb
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Arneb » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:01 am

...did anyone ever do a simple "arming button" or "queueing button" controller?

I'm imagining a module consisting of a big colored LED button, a trigger/gate input, a gate output, and maybe a flip switch changing between Toggle and VCA modes, in 4HP because 2-3HP would likely be too small for ergonomy in this specific module.

Behaviour in "VCA mode" or "gate mode" would be as follows:
- Unarmed (LED off): Output always low. Pressing the button transitions into Armed state.
- Armed (LED yellow): Output follows input. Rising edge on input transitions into Firing state.
- Firing (LED green): Output always high. Falling edge on input transitions into Unarmed state.
"Toggle mode" or "trigger mode" would be the same, except that that last transition back to Unarmed state happens on a second rising edge on input, which is somewhat more natural when your input is a divided clock.

Use case would be queueing and triggering all kinds of one-shot operations in a quantized manner.

Such buttons exist as parts of larger modules, think LPZW Schleußig or Instruo Lúbadh's armed monitoring mode, and they are of course ubiquitous in non-modular desktop sampler gear, but I don't think anyone has ever done a modular stand-alone version. I think a stand-alone version would be pretty useful if only to cut down on manual memorizing and menu diving in the target modules. I don't think it's as easy to patch as it looks either - the control flow is half-manual, half-VC, and the big button is neither momentary nor latching.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”