Erbe-verb: patches, tips, techniques and demos

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

ym2612
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ym2612 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:59 am

MN posted a video tutorial on getting long tails:

[video][/video]

I feel that the EV has acquired a reputation for being something mainly for special effects, and if you want a "nice" reverb you should look elsewhere. I think this is unfair. I think there are tons of "nice" sounds in there, but you need to spend a little time sculpting the sound to get there, and it really helps to have a fundamental understanding of what's going on. Just because it's easy to get the crazy, whacked-out sounds doesn't mean that's the only thing it's good for. This is modular, after all - isn't this instrument all about sculpting sound? :deadbanana:

I think the extra work it takes to get conventionally pleasing verbs out of it is what was responsible for EV not being super-trendy like certain other DSP modules.

wildfrontiers
Veteran Wiggler

Post by wildfrontiers » Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:51 am

Agreed completely ym2612.

I've found that the controls on the EV are pretty sensitive (at least compared to any guitar pedal reverb I've used in the last 10 years), but that is a good thing. There's such a wide variety of use in this module and that's without cv control.

To my ears, it's almost hard to get something that isn't pleasing out of the EV. Even the weird sounding stuff sounds great.

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:57 pm

Great great thread !
how could i miss that one ? ......oh well, i knew :lol:

all questions answered !
thanks wellurban and all others !
:tu:

Arders Bergdahl
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Arders Bergdahl » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:30 am

I tend to use the Erbe-Verb more as a sound generating module than a effect.. although it is an amazing reverb as well.. might need another actually...
In my most recent clip i modulate Size based on the envelope of my acoustic guitar and feed it into Wugglebug to step the output and also have it timed.. Wugglebug is clocked by Phonogene EOS.. At tmes the Erbe-Verb creats strange rhytms.. I also modulate Decay which is at brink of self oscillation.. then i send the output to MI Clouds to granulate that part of the patch... the orherparts are sounds from Phonogene (sampling/looping live guitar) into Echophone and a MI elements pitch "controlled" via disting extracting pitch from the guitar signal,.. which makes some sort of granular sound when i play chords or make noises with unspecific pitch.. lots of fun...
[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/230125570" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]
Always fun stuff on my soundcloud page:
[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/users/1472935" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]

wildfrontiers
Veteran Wiggler

Post by wildfrontiers » Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:06 pm

Arders Bergdahl wrote:I tend to use the Erbe-Verb more as a sound generating module than a effect.. although it is an amazing reverb as well.. might need another actually...
In my most recent clip i modulate Size based on the envelope of my acoustic guitar and feed it into Wugglebug to step the output and also have it timed.. Wugglebug is clocked by Phonogene EOS.. At tmes the Erbe-Verb creats strange rhytms.. I also modulate Decay which is at brink of self oscillation.. then i send the output to MI Clouds to granulate that part of the patch... the orherparts are sounds from Phonogene (sampling/looping live guitar) into Echophone and a MI elements pitch "controlled" via disting extracting pitch from the guitar signal,.. which makes some sort of granular sound when i play chords or make noises with unspecific pitch.. lots of fun...
[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/230125570" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]
That's really cool. Definitely need to try to use EV as a sound generator more often.

warmtape
Common Wiggler

Post by warmtape » Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:36 pm

has anyone had an issue where the clock sent to the tempo in jack is producing a poping sound? I've tried adjusting the clock (sent from Pam's) to make sure the trigger is at least 1.5 V and a width of at least 6 ms (per the Erbe manual), but I'm still hearing this occasional pop. It is as if some of the triggers from Pam's are leaking through. I'm not modulating any parameters on the erbe at all and if I remove the clock then the poping stops. Any ideas?

Fugal
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Fugal » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:47 pm

Hi all, been lurking for some time and am out of the woodwork for my first post. Here is a composition I made that showcases some of the Erbe's long, smooth magic, particularly from 2:50 onwards.

x0xb0x running through DSI Character, Synthrotek DLY, MN Erbe Verb, and Strymon Timeline. I played the DLY by hand.

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/240626755" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]

bemerritt
Veteran Wiggler

Post by bemerritt » Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:45 am

And a great first post it was! Really enjoyed that last bit.

Hazium
Common Wiggler

Post by Hazium » Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:41 am

Great thread! I've been a bit in the weeds with my EB. This is helpful for the shift out of end of signal chain typical reverb paradigm. Also loving the delay patch!

erstlaub
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by erstlaub » Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:43 pm

I absolutely love mine and use it (too much) on everything. I have been gradually upgrading my mixing/recording setup recently though and have to say that mine makes a bit of a racket in terms of noise floor mix/decay/filter completely down I still get a noticeable hiss/buzz.

As far as PSU load goes, I'm well in my limits and even took out my phonogene and moved the erbeverb further away from the Doepfer coils to check if it was that but it still persists. Maybe time to think about getting an external verb again and letting the EB get on with crazier CV'd duties.

I've recently started using the Erbeverb on an aux send on an external mixer (doing most of my mixing externally now which is fun) and it's sublime. It''s so nice to be able to fire off little bits and pieces at different levels, I've even multed a few things and fed them into their own channel with the send set to nothing, and then the mult through a VCA into a fully wet mixer channel for voltage controlled mixing of the sending. Great fun.

khiner
Common Wiggler

Post by khiner » Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:59 pm

Microphonie to Phonogene to Echophone to Erbe-Verbe

A couple Maths channels going into the Phonogene and Echophone, only manual wiggling on the Erbe-Verbe (no CV).

I LOVE this module!

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/247036170" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /][/s]

pitri
Wiggling with Experience

Post by pitri » Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:37 pm

super nice thread thanks!

cowatf
Learning to Wiggle

Post by cowatf » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:02 pm

I'm another one who thinks the Erbeverb is more of an instrument.. so just experimenting with self-resonating spaces and seeing what sounds I can get out of it.

erstlaub
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by erstlaub » Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:56 pm

So does anyone else suffer from quite a lot of noise (both white and digital) from their Erbeverb?

I'm not entirely convinced that the power supply where I currently am is great but I'm getting an awful lot of really audible noise, even with the input and wet/dry all the way down.

I had a vague idea that it might be Braids/5v adapter being on the same line and interfering with it but I moved them earlier and it's still the same.

It's vexing me a little bit as I adoooore my Erbeverb but I'm starting to think maybe I need to look elsewhere for my cavernous spaces.

I'm just not sure. Is yours whisper quiet?

cowatf
Learning to Wiggle

Post by cowatf » Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:36 pm

Mine is a bit noisy, which is a shame but I just get on with it and consider it part of the flavour of the module. If anyone's got a fix though I'd love to hear it as sometimes the noise isn't appropriate.

Hovercraft
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Hovercraft » Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:44 pm

Mine seems fine--nothing noticeable as far as noise, but I'm not straining to hear it either. I just recorded this tonight and everything is passing through the Erbe Verb.

dysonant
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dysonant » Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:58 am

[video][/video]
This video perfectly illustrates a question I have about the Erbe-Verb. You will notice on each tap of the PP there is a crackle right at the beginning of the reverb. This is, I assume, a result of the Pre-Delay. If I were running faster but short percussive noises, say at 1/4 notes, that crackle becomes incredibly apparent. I know it is meant to simulate reflection, but using pre-delay a bit and absorption at almost any setting will never really get rid of it.

So my question that I am hoping someone can help with, is there anyway to get rid of that crackle and have a smoother reverb with less repeating of the transient?

ym2612
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ym2612 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:09 am

dysonant wrote:This video perfectly illustrates a question I have about the Erbe-Verb. You will notice on each tap of the PP there is a crackle right at the beginning of the reverb. This is, I assume, a result of the Pre-Delay. If I were running faster but short percussive noises, say at 1/4 notes, that crackle becomes incredibly apparent. I know it is meant to simulate reflection, but using pre-delay a bit and absorption at almost any setting will never really get rid of it.

So my question that I am hoping someone can help with, is there anyway to get rid of that crackle and have a smoother reverb with less repeating of the transient?
How fast are the envelopes you're using for those sounds? In the video, it sounds like the envelope is so fast that it's causing an audible pop. You can usually hear that without reverb, but reverb makes it more apparent. You should be able to ease off the envelope's attack slowly until the pop goes away.

Edit: Also, try turning up the Absorb parameter, which should diffuse the initial impulse more as it propagates through the tank.

dysonant
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dysonant » Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:13 pm

Yeah, very fast envelopes, Maths fully CCW. However, it does still occur even with slower envelopes. It is also apparent when turning up absorb. Even if I space out the trigger to once per measure.

Just for the hell of it I did a test in Ableton using Analog with a straight square wave and a super fast envelope no sustain or release and a short decay running through the stock reverb. To try and replicate the idea. I was definitely hearing some artifacts, but in the tail not from the transient. I know how different these tools are, I just wanted to prove to myself that I had heard reverb without a burst of repeated transients.

I think I need more exposure to other reverbs to figure this out. I am not happy about it. I really want a much cleaner attack and nice long tail.

Anyone else out there trying to do that? Anyone have success getting it out of the EV?

Arders Bergdahl
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Arders Bergdahl » Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:07 pm

Well as far as I'm concerned the Erbe-Verb is great.. i decided to try to use it as a traditional reverb for the first time and i am AMAZED.. such a lush bis sound..
Did a clip with guitar inte Shared system CV bus, multed so it goes into Erbe-verb and the in parallel to Phonegene and echophone, the is use some optomixes to mic the verb and phon-echo sounds.. one taka all "live" and NO effects whatsoever in the DAW.. in fact the DAW only mixes down from two mono track to a stereo track..
[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/260828190" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]

limpmeat
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by limpmeat » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:57 pm

Lovely!

ym2612
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ym2612 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:56 am

dysonant wrote:Yeah, very fast envelopes, Maths fully CCW. However, it does still occur even with slower envelopes. It is also apparent when turning up absorb. Even if I space out the trigger to once per measure.

Just for the hell of it I did a test in Ableton using Analog with a straight square wave and a super fast envelope no sustain or release and a short decay running through the stock reverb. To try and replicate the idea. I was definitely hearing some artifacts, but in the tail not from the transient. I know how different these tools are, I just wanted to prove to myself that I had heard reverb without a burst of repeated transients.

I think I need more exposure to other reverbs to figure this out. I am not happy about it. I really want a much cleaner attack and nice long tail.

Anyone else out there trying to do that? Anyone have success getting it out of the EV?
Last night I powered up my 3U to try this out. I found that I heard the longest separation between the initial reflections at the largest Size parameter. Easing off the Size a bit smears those initial reflections together better, and using a long Decay gives you a long tail. A healthy amount of Absorb does help in smoothing these out.

I recorded some audio & video last night to demonstrate the trails I was getting, and ended up playing the feedback for a while as well.

[video][/video]

Arders Bergdahl
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Arders Bergdahl » Fri May 06, 2016 4:16 am

ANd here is a new piece featuring Erbe-verb.. a bit more knob tweaking in this...
[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/262433604" params="color=ff5500&auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false" width="100%" height="166" iframe="true" /]

kla4spieler
Common Wiggler

Post by kla4spieler » Wed May 11, 2016 3:30 pm

My first evening with the Erbe-Verb, here without any sound input:
https://soundcloud.com/kla4spieler/erbe-verb-solo
and here with Harmonic Oscillator:
https://soundcloud.com/kla4spieler/erbe ... ans-maitre

carvingcode
Wiggling with Experience

Post by carvingcode » Sat May 28, 2016 8:09 pm

erstlaub wrote:So does anyone else suffer from quite a lot of noise (both white and digital) from their Erbeverb?

I'm not entirely convinced that the power supply where I currently am is great but I'm getting an awful lot of really audible noise, even with the input and wet/dry all the way down.

I had a vague idea that it might be Braids/5v adapter being on the same line and interfering with it but I moved them earlier and it's still the same.

It's vexing me a little bit as I adoooore my Erbeverb but I'm starting to think maybe I need to look elsewhere for my cavernous spaces.

I'm just not sure. Is yours whisper quiet?
Mine's quite noisey. This is the 2nd I've had, in 2 different cases/power supplies. It really is annoying, especially since I use it more as reverb than as a sound source. I do like its features, but it adds too much noise at the end of the audio chain.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”