Intellijel Buffered Mult and Maths

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

ipassenger
Veteran Wiggler

Intellijel Buffered Mult and Maths

Post by ipassenger » Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:40 pm

Here is something bizarre;

When feeding a gate signal from my midi/cv to my intellijel buffered mult, then from there to the trig input on my maths, I get a gate signal on note on and note off!

Wiring from midi/cv straight to my maths normal gate on trigger behavior or by wiring the intellijel via some attenuation and I can get normal gate signal behavior.

What is going on? I think it is amplifying the cv/gate signal sort of and making the zero crossings more pronounced.

insula
Wiggling with Experience

Post by insula » Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:52 am

I think if you feeding Maths trigger input with a gate will not work correct, you should use the input next to trigger input, this one will allow to "trigger" maths with a gate signal.

i use maths CH 4in this way, as an envelope triggered by a gate signal.

;)

ipassenger
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ipassenger » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:21 am

insula wrote:I think if you feeding Maths trigger input with a gate will not work correct, you should use the input next to trigger input, this one will allow to "trigger" maths with a gate signal.

i use maths CH 4in this way, as an envelope triggered by a gate signal.

;)
Don't agree, if you want ASR operation, then feed gate to the signal input (as uyou state above) but for AR operation you need to feed the signal to the Trig Input.

Like I said it works fine unless the buffered mult sits between the gate and the trig input.

njdoyle
Common Wiggler

Post by njdoyle » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:25 pm

I can confirm this unusual behaviour using:
K1600 Gate -> Intellijel Buffered Mult -> MATHS Trig input

MATHS gets triggered on note on and on note off.

I tried:
K1600 Gate -> Intellijel Buffered Mult -> Envelator Gate Input in AD mode

The Envelator only triggered on note on as expected.

perplx
Common Wiggler

Post by perplx » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:31 pm

I've had this problem myself on a maths v1, resorted to using stackcables for my gates, which works fine, but it's a weird way for those modules to interact

ipassenger
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ipassenger » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:39 am

It's pretty odd.

Planning to go the Expert Sleepers way before too much longer, I wonder what it does to their gate outs.

Cheers for the input folks, at least there isn't something wrong with my gear.

navymaker
Learning to Wiggle

Post by navymaker » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:20 pm

I had same behavior with gate from Analog Four > Intellijel Buff Multiple > Maths.
I set gate level to 3.3V and retrig is gone, so I think attenuator before or after multiple will help in this situation.

dumbledog
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dumbledog » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:23 pm

I get the same thing with Pam's and any buffered multiple, including Pulp Logic and Intellijel.

Also double-triggers the 0-Coast.

newvin
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Intellijel Buffered Mult and Maths

Post by newvin » Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:34 pm

This is still a thing. Ran into it today with Pam's > Intellijel Buffered Mult > Maths trig input. This configuration triggered Maths in double time, whereas Pam's > Maths triggered as expected.

I ran the pulses going into the Buffered Mult and coming out of it through the scope on the Data, and they looked identical.

Stab Frenzy
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:21 pm

Why would you use a buffered mult for a gate signal? A normal passive mult will work perfectly, you only need a buffered mult for very particular circumstances when you’re using passive or high impedance CV sources or if you’re running to two CV inputs with mismatched input impedances. For well designed modules a buffered mult will just introduce small offset errors.

newvin
Learning to Wiggle

Post by newvin » Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:42 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:21 pm
Why would you use a buffered mult for a gate signal? A normal passive mult will work perfectly, you only need a buffered mult for very particular circumstances when you’re using passive or high impedance CV sources or if you’re running to two CV inputs with mismatched input impedances. For well designed modules a buffered mult will just introduce small offset errors.
In my case, the reason is that I only own one mult and it is buffered. My understanding when purchasing it was that its functionality would be a superset of a passive mult's functionality. However, it sounds like you are saying that a passive mult may perform better in certain edge cases (like the one described in this thread).

Stab Frenzy
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:49 pm

newvin wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:42 pm
Stab Frenzy wrote:
In my case, the reason is that I only own one mult and it is buffered. My understanding when purchasing it was that its functionality would be a superset of a passive mult's functionality. However, it sounds like you are saying that a passive mult may perform better in certain edge cases (like the one described in this thread).
It’s the other way round, a passive mult performs better in almost every situation, buffered mults usually introduce problems when before there were none, but can perform better in certain edge cases. The myth that buffered mults are better is very pervasive but nonetheless a myth.

newvin
Learning to Wiggle

Post by newvin » Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:12 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:49 pm
newvin wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:42 pm
Stab Frenzy wrote:
It’s the other way round, a passive mult performs better in almost every situation, buffered mults usually introduce problems when before there were none, but can perform better in certain edge cases. The myth that buffered mults are better is very pervasive but nonetheless a myth.
Thanks for busting the myth. Sounds like I need to pick up a passive mult.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”