E102 Temporal Shifter - Expander Module

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, Kent, Joe.

Wiggling with Experience

Post by 333 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:10 pm

Having fun with my newly arrived E102. Waiting patiently for the expander.

:bananaguitar:

paults
mice nuts

Post by paults » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:32 pm

Switches are due to me in June. So late August for the Expander.

onthelees
Wiggling with Experience

Post by onthelees » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:54 pm

[quote=Since we're still talking possibilities here I'm curious if you guys think it would be useful that the Gate input toggles the opposite state of the Switch. So if the switch is ON and you send a Gate it turns to OFF for the duration of the Gate and vice versa. I'm only suggesting it because it seems logical and it gives versatility to the user.[/quote]

I think this would be cool. I am not really seeing the need for a switch to enable looping mode, since that's what the gate would do. If the switch made everything suddenly start going BACKWARDS, it would be uber-cool.

Scope creep, I know :roll:

paults
mice nuts

Post by paults » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:03 am

The 2 switches are part of the mechanical support for the front panel. :sb:

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:15 am

Is August still the ETA on this?

What is the latest in regards to functionality?
All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.

paults
mice nuts

Post by paults » Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:31 am

Late Sept. I am working on the final pcb layout this coming week. It SHOULD be simple enough! I have all the parts in-house now (switches/LEDs/light pipes).

whinger
Wiggling with Experience

Post by whinger » Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:58 am

Looking forward to this, thanks.

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:02 am

paults wrote:Late Sept. I am working on the final pcb layout this coming week. It SHOULD be simple enough! I have all the parts in-house now (switches/LEDs/light pipes).
So what is the feature set? Is the input for Gates as discussed above? What will the switch do? I've found a million uses for the E102 and I'm extremely eager to try the expander.

Jumbuktu
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Jumbuktu » Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:25 pm

Any progress on this?

FatRocky
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by FatRocky » Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:08 pm

i understand why the loop start stop with a footswitch, very handy while hands are anywhere else. For a bit more HP i would also go for the loop gate input.
If comparators can be added , then please add gate outputs for all 4 OUTS. :tu:

paults
mice nuts

Post by paults » Fri Dec 25, 2015 12:22 pm

It's still in the R&D pipeline (I have already bought the LEDs and custom switches).

I will see about adding these requested features.

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Fri Dec 25, 2015 12:37 pm

Everybody seems interested in adding Gate outputs, but I can't imagine how that would be possible .. do you send gates/triggers from different Gate outputs only when a CV value above a threshold has been recorder? How would that work? :hmm: :despair:

mheumann
Ultra Wiggler

Post by mheumann » Mon May 23, 2016 8:34 pm

It's been a few months, so I thought I'd ask: any update on this module?

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Mon May 23, 2016 8:53 pm

Paranormal Patroler wrote:Everybody seems interested in adding Gate outputs, but I can't imagine how that would be possible .. do you send gates/triggers from different Gate outputs only when a CV value above a threshold has been recorder? How would that work? :hmm: :despair:
Well, there is some internal functionality already that delays when an output gets updated and, when the update happens that is an "event" so, it "should" be possible to do anything else when that event happens, like create a gate at a jack or flash a LED. But not having looked at the circuit design or software/firmware I really don't know for sure that it would be possible or at least practical. :despair:

paults
mice nuts

Post by paults » Mon May 23, 2016 10:39 pm

The expansion will be R&D'd in late July, so late Sept for dealer shipping.

mheumann
Ultra Wiggler

Post by mheumann » Tue May 24, 2016 12:48 am

paults wrote:The expansion will be R&D'd in late July, so late Sept for dealer shipping.
:tu:

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Tue May 24, 2016 3:10 am

JohnLRice wrote:
Paranormal Patroler wrote:Everybody seems interested in adding Gate outputs, but I can't imagine how that would be possible .. do you send gates/triggers from different Gate outputs only when a CV value above a threshold has been recorder? How would that work? :hmm: :despair:
Well, there is some internal functionality already that delays when an output gets updated and, when the update happens that is an "event" so, it "should" be possible to do anything else when that event happens, like create a gate at a jack or flash a LED. But not having looked at the circuit design or software/firmware I really don't know for sure that it would be possible or at least practical. :despair:
Hmm, how about two E102's, with the same settings, same clock, one for gates one for CV? I wouldn't expect a Shift Register to provide gate outputs; it would be a first for me at least.

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:17 am

:hail: :bump: :spin:

VortexRanger
reticulating splines

Post by VortexRanger » Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:34 am

JohnLRice wrote::hail: :bump: :spin:
:hobbes:

bernwerlin
Common Wiggler

Post by bernwerlin » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:39 am

Has there been an update/development on this? Did all R&D go into the E951 expander and e330 development? I'm cool with that, just want an update.

paults
mice nuts

Post by paults » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:57 am

Yes, that's where the R&D/production went. But it's not dead (or nailed to the perch). It's still on the list. I'll start on in in early Feb. after the E370 KickStarter launches.

bernwerlin
Common Wiggler

Post by bernwerlin » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:05 am

Thanks Paul. I figured. At least we now have a number of new things to get us by in the mean time!

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:16 pm

I need to bump this with a feature suggestion. Apart from rekindling my initial proposition of being able to switch the series of outputs [(1234, 2341, 3412, 4123) which I presume is a tall order], I've been using the E102 extensively, as it has been at the heart of my live setup, so I've come to wish it had a very cool additional functionality:

Would it be possible to add an extra loop mode, in which output 1 mirrors the incoming CV while outputs 2-4 do the feedback loop as suggested initially? What I'm saying is that output 4 would loop back to "voice" 2 so that output 1 can solo over the fugue loop of the other three voices.

This isn't something that just popped in my head. I have achieved similar results for a small period of time, by using the highest delay time value and allowing outputs 2-4 to dig deep into the pattern for a bit while having output 1 instantly output whatever CV changes are made at the input. It does essentially sound as if the voice stands out and starts soloing over the complex sequence. I would love to be able to do this more easily and, especially, for an extended period of time as the above method means that after a while all voices change.

Having these two different loop options means you could flip back to the "normal" loop option and suddenly voice 1 goes back to the previous pattern (as it starts feeding off output 4). It would be like taking voice 1 out of the loop for a bit and then letting it back in. Flip the Flow switch and every voice is now playing in unison (I love doing this!).

paults, what do you think? Is it too much to ask? Please consider it if it's doable.
Last edited by Paranormal Patroler on Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:26 pm

Sounds like a cool idea Paranormal Patroler :sb: although I'd be happy to a least get the first version of the E103 because I've been saving a space for it in my case since the exapnder was originally proposed 2.5 years ago! :cry:

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:31 pm

JohnLRice wrote:Sounds like a cool idea Paranormal Patroler :sb: although I'd be happy to a least get the first version of the E103 because I've been saving a space for it in my case since the exapnder was originally proposed 2.5 years ago! :cry:
You should totally give it a shot. I use a switch before the input to be able to swap the incoming CV and as soon as the other voices start "looping" for a bit, I switch to manual CV control and start a solo voice over them using voice 1 (for as long as I can).

It sounds marvelous!

Would be great if I could keep it going for longer. Let alone being able to swap between these things (loop modes, flow) would make the whole thing far more playable. I won't even go ahead and mention how nice it'll be to swap the incoming sequence (transpose?) while voices 2-4 loop on, and then play with the Delay ...

Return to “Eurorack Modules”