Verbos Harmonic Oscillator (wonderful instrument)

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

shreeswifty
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by shreeswifty » Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:54 pm

DOES ANYONE have one of these for sale? I am going to assume this is not the type of module you let go. I am going to look around for one. It will be my MOST expensive module by about 150$ topping even the elements :-)

StanleyHiller
Common Wiggler

Post by StanleyHiller » Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:18 am

man some of the samples in this thread are amazing.

I've been lusting after one of these for a few months. Perhaps soon I'll be contributing to this thread. So damn pleasant sounding!

Jericho
Common Wiggler

Post by Jericho » Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:09 pm

The verbos sounds beautiful. Just made my first patch with it.
I love those sine waves. Modulating the harmonic inputs gives almost endless melodies and tones. It sounds so warm.
I need more modulation modules for this instrument. Batumi, where are you :hmm:

[video][/video]

echoplex
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by echoplex » Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:35 pm

Jericho wrote: [video][/video]

wow buddy, that was wonderfull .. good work! :hail: :tu:

confusedmachine
Common Wiggler

Post by confusedmachine » Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:52 pm

Is the HO just being modulated, or are controlling the V/Oct also?

saemola
Common Wiggler

Post by saemola » Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:03 am

Beautiful music, Jericho!
Would love a patch breakdown.

Jericho
Common Wiggler

Post by Jericho » Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:15 pm

confusedmachine wrote:Is the HO just being modulated, or are controlling the V/Oct also?
Rene is sending a melody to the HO 1v/oct

@saemola: I have added a patch description to the video

Thanks for listening!

mallarme
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mallarme » Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:44 am

severence wrote:@Bosavi, thanks for the excellent sound demos, they definitely helped me make the decision to include the harmonic oscillator in my system.

i have had the module for a week or so now and first impression is that it is more versatile than i had perhaps imagined it would be and has a really nice full sound, especially when self modulated

here are two early live recordings of the oscillator with patch notes showing different sides of it... i am really looking forward to exploring this module further...

[video][/video]

[video][/video]
Ten thousand times :hail: :hail: :hail:

Well done! But damn you for making me wanna get back into eurorack!!

severence
Common Wiggler

Post by severence » Sat Nov 28, 2015 4:39 pm

thanks mallarme!
the harmonic oscillator really is a great module.
i recently got the dual four pole filter which also sounds wonderful and have a voltage multistage on the way here too, so looking forward to recording something with the three of them together :)

digable-me
Veteran Wiggler

Post by digable-me » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:43 am

I've had the VHO for all of two hours and... fuck... I love it. It's the first analogue oscillator I've had in my little 6U for a long time, and it's the best one I've ever heard. Thanks to everyone in this thread who posted videos and demos. Really helped me make up my mind.

vanadl138
Common Wiggler

Post by vanadl138 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:22 am

indeed, its a fun little noise machine. The best in my rack, I'd say.

StanleyHiller
Common Wiggler

Post by StanleyHiller » Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:50 pm

Jericho, that is a great video. Love that patch.

sackley
Veteran Wiggler

Post by sackley » Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:17 pm

Damn this sounds great! Tones are totally up my alley. WANT

Wish I had the funds! :help: :waah:

Thanks for the demos everyone. Keep em coming!

davidjames
Wiggling with Experience

Post by davidjames » Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:08 pm

Does anyone know how to calibrate the v/oct on the Harmonic Osc? I just got mine today and its tracking poorly. I tune it to C3 but by the time I'm at C4 its already down a semitone.

How many solid octaves is everyone getting before it starts to drift?

Themaybemachine
Common Wiggler

Post by Themaybemachine » Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:33 am

davidjames wrote:Does anyone know how to calibrate the v/oct on the Harmonic Osc? I just got mine today and its tracking poorly. I tune it to C3 but by the time I'm at C4 its already down a semitone.

How many solid octaves is everyone getting before it starts to drift?
Mine arrived in the same state. There is a small hole above the 1v/oct. you will have to use a tiny screwdriver, I had to buy one. Once you trim it right it goes 5-6 octaves straight for me.
Just tuneyour OSC to C with nothing plugged in, take your keyboard or sequence go up one octave and adjust until you have a C.
Go back to 0v check if it is still C now go up 2octaves and adjust till you have C. Do this and it will run as tight as most.

melodydad
Muffuselah

Post by melodydad » Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:52 am

Despite frequent tweaking with tiny screwdrivers mine still tracks poorly as compared with my other oscillators, z3000's and Mannequins Mangrove which are all amazingly solid tracking-wise.
. . . we better let him in . . . . . he's got a Theremin . . . (HMHB: 'Look Dad No Tunes')

davidjames
Wiggling with Experience

Post by davidjames » Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:46 pm

Themaybemachine wrote: Mine arrived in the same state. There is a small hole above the 1v/oct. you will have to use a tiny screwdriver, I had to buy one. Once you trim it right it goes 5-6 octaves straight for me.
Just tuneyour OSC to C with nothing plugged in, take your keyboard or sequence go up one octave and adjust until you have a C.
Go back to 0v check if it is still C now go up 2octaves and adjust till you have C. Do this and it will run as tight as most.
Thanks for the info. So, I tune to C3 withOUT anything plugged into the v/oct input, correct? Then play a C4 on my keyboard and plug that into the v/oct input. Adjust. Unplug the CV. Adjust. play a C5, plug in. Adjust. Is that the procedure?

BTW…I now have it where its dead on at C3, -7 cents at C4, -15 cents at C5. Does that sound correct or should I keep fiddling?

davidjames
Wiggling with Experience

Post by davidjames » Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:58 pm

Here's a quick jam featuring the VHO. Basically my first patch with it. Man, this thing is fun. Distortion courtesy of the Plague Bearer and ambiance by Clouds.

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/237169583" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]

trickness
Veteran Wiggler

Post by trickness » Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:29 pm

davidjames wrote:Here's a quick jam featuring the VHO. Basically my first patch with it. Man, this thing is fun. Distortion courtesy of the Plague Bearer and ambiance by Clouds.

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/237169583" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]
Sounds great man! Funny Clouds has such an identifiable sound too

davidjames
Wiggling with Experience

Post by davidjames » Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:28 pm

trickiness wrote: Sounds great man! Funny Clouds has such an identifiable sound too
Thanks! Yeah it does, and these two work well together. I can't get enough of that Plague Bearer either, you can get that unstable subharmonic thing going, sounds kinda like a Polivoks filter.

dropthedyle
Common Wiggler

Post by dropthedyle » Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:52 pm

HO Powa !
[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/238031871" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]

ununseptium
Common Wiggler

Post by ununseptium » Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:40 am

Just read through this thread and realise I've been neglecting Muffs for too long and should contribute to the discussion. To kick off I thought I'd post this patch I made a wee while ago demonstrating a way in which I quite often use the VHO. That is to take an individual voltage stage from each of the VMS stage outputs into each harmonic cv of the VHO.
[video][/video]

ununseptium
Common Wiggler

Post by ununseptium » Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:45 am

ununseptium wrote:Just read through this thread and realise I've been neglecting Muffs for too long and should contribute to the discussion. To kick off I thought I'd post this patch I made a wee while ago demonstrating a way in which I quite often use the VHO. That is to take an individual voltage stage from each of the VMS stage outputs into each harmonic cv of the VHO.
[video][/video]
Okay, so it's been a while... How do I embed a youtube video?

Leverkusen
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Leverkusen » Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:04 am

ununseptium wrote:
ununseptium wrote:Just read through this thread and realise I've been neglecting Muffs for too long and should contribute to the discussion. To kick off I thought I'd post this patch I made a wee while ago demonstrating a way in which I quite often use the VHO. That is to take an individual voltage stage from each of the VMS stage outputs into each harmonic cv of the VHO.
[video][/video]
Just remove the s in https - nice patch!

The individual gate outs of the Multistage are switching their corresponding HO channel on, aren't they? Isn't this pretty much the same as sequencing the scanning with CV, just with more cables? and of course you have the CV of the multistage free for pitch or other duties!

[video][/video]

ununseptium
Common Wiggler

Post by ununseptium » Sat Dec 19, 2015 1:28 pm

Leverkusen wrote:
ununseptium wrote:
[video][/video]
Just remove the s in https - nice patch!

The individual gate outs of the Multistage are switching their corresponding HO channel on, aren't they? Isn't this pretty much the same as sequencing the scanning with CV, just with more cables? and of course you have the CV of the multistage free for pitch or other duties!

[video][/video]
Thanks for that. Yes it is similar to just scanning with the CV but, as you say, frees up the CV. Also, the Width, Center and Tilt can still be modulated from various sources at the same time. Plus, the order in which the CV stages modulate each harmonic can be constantly re-patched or even omitted on the fly. So there are quite few additional benefits to using all that spaghetti!

And, of course, I just love the symmetry of 8 outs and 8 ins. :)

Return to “Eurorack Modules”