Shortwave Radio (Evaton RF Nomad?)

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

MrNovember
Ultra Wiggler

Shortwave Radio (Evaton RF Nomad?)

Post by MrNovember » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:42 pm

So, I've been reading up on shortwave radio signals. I'm not really sure why, but I just happened upon an article about the UVB-76 signal (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UVB-76). Coincidentally, Make Noise posted this video to their facebook page around the same time:
[video][/video]
...and now I'm really interested in mixing shortwave and modular

I started looking into it and came across the RF Nomad. Did a quick search and didn't find much other than this video that was also pretty cool, and a couple threads discussing the lack of shortwave radio modules.
[video][/video]

Does anyone have/has had an RF Nomad? Is it worth it? Quality?
Any other shortwave modules?

Kingnimrod
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Kingnimrod » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:22 pm

I have it. Reception depends on your location, elevation, time of day, antenna, etc.

It has a very limited tuning range, Would be nice to see an update in the future that includes wider tuning range (coarse plus fine tuning) and more CV control. It is cool, but limited in terms of what you pick up.

DSC
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by DSC » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:27 pm

Seems local police scanner traffic would at least provide immediate results. That is what I use.

ztron
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ztron » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:02 pm

HI I know that you were looking for a shortwave module but I use this website http://websdr.ewi.utwente.nl:8901/ Its a live controllable shortwave receiver you can save recordings on that site as well .
http://priyom.org/ have a number stations schedule so you can see when the next broadcast is about to begin There are lots of number broadcasts throughout the day.
Again maybe not what your looking for but worth a try

gabrielp
Common Wiggler

Post by gabrielp » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:03 pm

I have it, during the day its great as a weird noise generator...good to make hihats/snares/percs...

At about 8-9pm I usually start to catch random radio signal from around the world...(mostly china and some random spanish radio)

I do use the 25 foot antenna, which is a must in my opinion...

All in all, its a great module to generate noise and those weird shortwave radio pitched tone.

I have to agree though, finer and more stable tuning would be awesome.

but still, I love the module, and use it all the time...

gabrielp
Common Wiggler

Post by gabrielp » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:06 pm

oh and in terme of quality, the build is very solid and the dude who make it is awesome and super helpfull... perfect customer service!

MrNovember
Ultra Wiggler

Post by MrNovember » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:43 pm

Hmm thanks for the feedback. Pretty sure I might try to pick one up in the near future. I'm very interested in just using it for random noise and the odd signal I can pick up. Sucks that it has a limited range but I think I could look past that

This is kind of making me want to build a rack for external sounds/musique concrete kind of stuff. So naturally I put something together in modulargrid: http://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/130499

MrNovember
Ultra Wiggler

Post by MrNovember » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:45 pm

Also, ztron thanks for the link. Checking that out now.
I'm not a huge fan of integrating my computer with my music but this site is still pretty cool and it's definitely an option in the mean time.

Edit: So I've just been listening to random static and noise in the background on this site and it does some pretty interesting things when you load other pages. It gets all glitchy. I like it

smcumber
Wiggling with Experience

Post by smcumber » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:37 pm

ztron wrote:HI I know that you were looking for a shortwave module but I use this website http://websdr.ewi.utwente.nl:8901/ Its a live controllable shortwave receiver you can save recordings on that site as well .
http://priyom.org/ have a number stations schedule so you can see when the next broadcast is about to begin There are lots of number broadcasts throughout the day.
I have been listening to that first link for the past hour, thank you so much, that is so cool.

MrNovember
Ultra Wiggler

Post by MrNovember » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:04 pm

smcumber wrote:
ztron wrote:HI I know that you were looking for a shortwave module but I use this website http://websdr.ewi.utwente.nl:8901/ Its a live controllable shortwave receiver you can save recordings on that site as well .
I have been listening to that first link for the past hour, thank you so much, that is so cool.
I was listening to the actual UVB-76 frequency (4625kHz) for a long time. I didn't hear anything weird though. Just some droning static with some random noises thrown in. When I finally turned it off my ears were ringing and silence sounded weird

smcumber
Wiggling with Experience

Post by smcumber » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:09 pm

I kept switching between french, german and british stations and then found some chinese music. You get weird uncanny valley-ish sounds if you reduce the bandwidth on talk radio stations. The first thing it reminded me of was the Imperial probe droid in Star Wars, I'm fairly sure that's how they created its sounds:

MrNovember
Ultra Wiggler

Post by MrNovember » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:12 pm

I would completely believe that those sounds came from messing with these radio signals. Sounds exactly like a weirdly modulated and unrecognizable radio voice

Flohr
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Flohr » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:52 pm

I recently picked up a little AM/FM radio at the thrift store to try and experiment with. It's been really cool. But it definitely makes me want to explore the technology more and find a more fully featured radio. I'd be interested in a Nomad, but I also would like to find just a weird old radio. I don't necessarily need everything to be under voltage control, sometimes it's fun to have something to wiggle manually while other processes are going on. also just dialing in an interesting station and getting it just fuzzy enough and then processing that signal holds plenty of possibilities.

ztron
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ztron » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:03 am

Your welcome smcumber and Mr November Im happy you found some use for my link .
UVB-76 usually just broadcasts a buzzing sound but occasionally broadcasts voice messages
last night it broadcasted morse code for a short time .
The American version of UVB is at 8992.Khz (usb band) and is active on and off through the day.

http://www.irdial.com/conet.htm

MrNovember
Ultra Wiggler

Post by MrNovember » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:09 am

Cool, thanks again. I had actually heard of the Conet project as well but totally forgot about it.

BananaPlug
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BananaPlug » Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:34 pm

Another batch of RF Nomads has been sent out. I got one today and made this recording at about noon in a solid brick house in Philadelphia with 25 feet of wire running down the hall as the antenna. Not ideal conditions but still got something.

RF Nomad patched through a mild LPF to knock down the static a bit.
mp3
(Sounds)--> :eek:
Misconstrued comments taken out of context may offend some readers

alamandra
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by alamandra » Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:10 pm

Such a cool module going to be my noise source down the line. Might not be so great for like layering with a snare to give it some fizz, but I don't want to do that yet anyway for that ill get something else. Or just sample some white noise using the computer would be free lol so.
Shiney metal module shirt

erstlaub
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by erstlaub » Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:36 pm

The Nomad does look lovely but for the time being, I'm happy enough just feeding a £4 little battery operated 10 band SW (+AM/FM) radio into my rig (via mikrophonie as a preamp) and wiggling by hand.

BananaPlug
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BananaPlug » Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:41 pm

Xmas music! :nana: Nomad Xmas

RF Nomad, uVCF (BP), EKO
(Sounds)--> :eek:
Misconstrued comments taken out of context may offend some readers

moofi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by moofi » Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:02 pm

Here´s an additional one about RF Nomad, I quite like.

[video][/video]

MrNovember
Ultra Wiggler

Post by MrNovember » Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:25 pm

Yeah his demo is really in depth and shows what you can really do with the RF Nomad.

I'm liking my Nomad quite a bit, but I do wish it had a wider range and a more precise tuning knob. That being said, I'd still recommend it to someone

moofi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by moofi » Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:30 pm

Wouldn´t there be an easy customisiation possible widening RF Nomad´s range?
MrNovember wrote:Yeah his demo is really in depth and shows what you can really do with the RF Nomad.

I'm liking my Nomad quite a bit, but I do wish it had a wider range and a more precise tuning knob. That being said, I'd still recommend it to someone

Waz
Wiggling with Scurvy

Post by Waz » Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:33 pm

Get an SDR and an up converter. You can scan the entire spectrum on your computer and record it. Then you can go back and listen to every possible channel/ frequency with a fine toothed comb.

You can even get apps on your android device and use that dongle anywhere.

[video][/video]

MrNovember
Ultra Wiggler

Post by MrNovember » Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:11 pm

moofi wrote:Wouldn´t there be an easy customisiation possible widening RF Nomad´s range?
MrNovember wrote:Yeah his demo is really in depth and shows what you can really do with the RF Nomad.

It's easy change the range you're listening to but you're always stuck in the same 0.4MHz width (normally from 9.6 to 10MHz).

I believe this is just a hardware issue though; in the tips and tricks link (below) they state that if the tuning was any wider, it would be hard to zero in on a signal because each small turn of the pot would sweep further through the spectrum. However, if the pot was replaced with a multi-turn pot this would be avoided. Not sure what else would have to be done to actually increase the width of the range.

This is certainly a must read for all Nomad owners: http://www.evatontechnologies.com/nomad-tips-and-tricks
Also a lot of info in the description of the Youtube video that you posted is useful as well
Waz wrote:Get an SDR and an up converter. You can scan the entire spectrum on your computer and record it. Then you can go back and listen to every possible channel/ frequency with a fine toothed comb.

You can even get apps on your android device and use that dongle anywhere.

That's a pretty interesting idea too. Won't really work for me because I don't really integrate my computer and modular but it's definitely an option for others

I was kind of planning to get the Music Thing Modular Radio Music and loading it with recordings from here: http://websdr.ewi.utwente.nl:8901/ and from the Conet Project. Kind of gets rid of the live feel of finding a station, but adds a bit more strangeness at the same time

moofi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by moofi » Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:32 pm

Thank you for the link :tu:

Regarding a customisation, gonna ask the assembling master here, wether he´d be able to modify the circuitry or expand the tuningrange elsewise. If there already is a trimpot it at least appears to be possible.
And yes would even be possible finetuning a wider range using a constant inputvoltage or any modulationsource + an attenuater. Already did this for very finetuned tempocontrol on a clocking module.
MrNovember wrote:
moofi wrote:Wouldn´t there be an easy customisiation possible widening RF Nomad´s range?

It's easy change the range you're listening to but you're always stuck in the same 0.4MHz width (normally from 9.6 to 10MHz).

I believe this is just a hardware issue though; in the tips and tricks link (below) they state that if the tuning was any wider, it would be hard to zero in on a signal because each small turn of the pot would sweep further through the spectrum. However, if the pot was replaced with a multi-turn pot this would be avoided. Not sure what else would have to be done to actually increase the width of the range.

This is certainly a must read for all Nomad owners: http://www.evatontechnologies.com/nomad-tips-and-tricks
Also a lot of info in the description of the Youtube video that you posted is useful as well
Looking very much forward to MTM´s Radio Music aswell. :party:
MrNovember wrote:I was kind of planning to get the Music Thing Modular Radio Music and loading it with recordings from here: http://websdr.ewi.utwente.nl:8901/ and from the Conet Project. Kind of gets rid of the live feel of finding a station, but adds a bit more strangeness at the same time

Return to “Eurorack Modules”