Shortwave Radio (Evaton RF Nomad?)

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

rh2y
Common Wiggler

Post by rh2y » Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:17 pm

moofi wrote:Thank you for the link :tu:

Regarding a customisation, gonna ask the assembling master here, wether he´d be able to modify the circuitry or expand the tuningrange elsewise.
If folks are interested, I can post a fairly easy mod that will widen the tuning range somewhat. I'm a bit busy testing/calibrating/shipping Nomads at the moment (BIG restock going out early next week to dealers worldwide), so it'll have to wait until after then, but I can put together pix and a short explanation.

Mind you, it will come at the expense of making it a little harder to tune to a specific frequency, and may make the Nomad a bit more drifty, but will allow tuning a wider portion of the 31m shortwave band.

Also, yes, if someone wants to hack their RF Nomad, replacing the tuning pot with a 10-turn pot for finer tuning control will work. You want a 100K variety.

Russ
Evaton Technologies

boydpost
Common Wiggler

Post by boydpost » Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:36 pm

Wow! That webdsr radio page is the coolest! If nothing else it is a great way to see where there is signal activity and then zero in on it.

I too have an RF Nomad and while its cool I would concur with many here...really depends on where you are and when you are listening. I'm in Seattle and dont have much luck finding signal for some reason...even with a reasonably huge antenna. I do get some heterodyne noise, but that's mostly evident when you are actually tuning it.

I too would welcome a larger range (bands?) and a 10 turn pot mod!

MrNovember
Ultra Wiggler

Post by MrNovember » Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:42 pm

rh2y wrote:

Regarding a customisation, gonna ask the assembling master here, wether he´d be able to modify the circuitry or expand the tuningrange elsewise.
If folks are interested, I can post a fairly easy mod that will widen the tuning range somewhat. I'm a bit busy testing/calibrating/shipping Nomads at the moment (BIG restock going out early next week to dealers worldwide), so it'll have to wait until after then, but I can put together pix and a short explanation.

Mind you, it will come at the expense of making it a little harder to tune to a specific frequency, and may make the Nomad a bit more drifty, but will allow tuning a wider portion of the 31m shortwave band.

Also, yes, if someone wants to hack their RF Nomad, replacing the tuning pot with a 10-turn pot for finer tuning control will work. You want a 100K variety.

Russ
Evaton Technologies
Hmmm, if the mod to widen the range is just as easy as the mod to move the range, I'd definitely be interested. And depending on how stable it is, I might actually consider replacing the tuning pot with a 10-turn pot. Will be checking back for that mod. Thanks for the info!

All that being said, I am still very happy with the Nomad. It makes a really interesting noise source when between stations. I've had some really fun ambient drones just sweeping through frequencies and running it through reverb and delay. I just got one of the 25ft antennas, but I haven't tried it out yet. It will be interesting to see how it changes things

rh2y
Common Wiggler

Post by rh2y » Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:29 am

MrNovember wrote:
All that being said, I am still very happy with the Nomad. It makes a really interesting noise source when between stations. I've had some really fun ambient drones just sweeping through frequencies and running it through reverb and delay. I just got one of the 25ft antennas, but I haven't tried it out yet. It will be interesting to see how it changes things
I'm glad you like it! The 25 ft antenna should help -- several people have told me they tape the antenna to the ceiling of the studio, with good results.

Have you tried self-modulating it? Patch the Audio Out to a multiple or Stackcable, so you can run the Audio Out to your usual audio out, and then also back in to the CV In.

MrNovember
Ultra Wiggler

Post by MrNovember » Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:31 pm

rh2y wrote:
MrNovember wrote:
I'm glad you like it! The 25 ft antenna should help -- several people have told me they tape the antenna to the ceiling of the studio, with good results.

Have you tried self-modulating it? Patch the Audio Out to a multiple or Stackcable, so you can run the Audio Out to your usual audio out, and then also back in to the CV In.
Yeah I did try that. I didn't really notice anything though, but I think that was because it was a fairly bad day when I wasn't finding any signals, so all I was getting was noise. I'll have to try it again with the new antenna attached. I also recently picked up a Beast's Chalkboard, which will be interesting to use for controlling the feedback

Flux302
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Flux302 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:09 pm

I do enjoy it quite a lot. the larger antenna really makes it shine. My studio is in a basement (not the best for shortwave), but with the longer antenna wrapped across the ceiling it works great
----------------------------------
FluxWithIt.com
Youtube.com/Flux302
The SynthSummitShow (Live show)

Flux302
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Flux302 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:10 pm

In addition to the first video in the thread, I also did this one of the RF nomad.
[video][/video]
FluxWithIt.com
Youtube.com/Flux302

Flux302
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Flux302 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:15 pm

Matrix synth did a video as well
FluxWithIt.com
Youtube.com/Flux302

strangeowl
Common Wiggler

Post by strangeowl » Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:22 am

i didnt get the long antenna, and im not getting any reception.

i've tried to extend the antenna or using alternate longer cables (long guitar cable and a plug to convert 1/4 inch to rca) but no luck either.

i'm not sure if those longer cables didn't work because they aren't wired right or because there's just 0 reception in my studio.

should a guitar cable (unbalanced) with a convertor plug work as well as a real rca cable?

rh2y
Common Wiggler

Post by rh2y » Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:14 am

strangeowl wrote:i didnt get the long antenna, and im not getting any reception.

i've tried to extend the antenna or using alternate longer cables (long guitar cable and a plug to convert 1/4 inch to rca) but no luck either.

i'm not sure if those longer cables didn't work because they aren't wired right or because there's just 0 reception in my studio.

should a guitar cable (unbalanced) with a convertor plug work as well as a real rca cable?
Real RCA cables are shielded, and won't work as an antenna. Easiest thing to do, if you don't want to get the extended antenna accessory is to strip the end of the wire on the included antenna and solder a length of wire onto it to make the antenna longer.

Russ

BananaPlug
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BananaPlug » Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:45 am

Yes, a ten turn pot would be a good mod. Running a joystick through an attenuator and into the CV input is a nice way to fine tune quickly.

StrangeOwl. Not getting anything? No tones among the static? Try the longer wire but also try different times of day.
(Sounds)--> :eek:
Misconstrued comments taken out of context may offend some readers

Pighood
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Pighood » Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:02 pm

This is exactly why I decided not to get this module. Too much risk of getting nothing in the way of reception, and no desire to set up a proper loop antenna.

moofi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by moofi » Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:33 pm

Just noticed your reply. Thank you. :lol:
Sounds like an interesting possibility.
rh2y wrote:

Russ
Evaton Technologies

suboptimal
A Towering Mediocrity

Post by suboptimal » Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:36 pm

The other day I found an old short wave radio in the back of a cupboard in my (rented) garage. This one has an analog station dial, which is essential, IMO. My Grundig's digital controls just don't allow for the same mojo. Going to try it out when I have a chance . . .

ZZ Ardoz
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ZZ Ardoz » Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:31 pm

I love this module - best thing ever for percussion sources - even if you don;t get any stations, it works a charm. Combined with Maths and some creative envelope/filter combos, you can do some very nice bits and bobs with it

I'll try and post some sound later

rh2y
Common Wiggler

Post by rh2y » Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:28 pm

ZZ Ardoz wrote:I love this module - best thing ever for percussion sources - even if you don;t get any stations, it works a charm. Combined with Maths and some creative envelope/filter combos, you can do some very nice bits and bobs with it

Please do!

Also, I've now set up a "user forum" area on the Evaton Technologies website, where you can discuss modules, tips, etc, and also post up music / videos / pics. I welcome everyone to do that. While MuffWiggler is a fantastic forum, it may help people who are looking specifically for Evaton-related stuff.

http://www.evatontechnologies.com/apps/forums/

SineBrave
Common Wiggler

Post by SineBrave » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:58 pm

rh2y wrote:
ZZ Ardoz wrote:I love this module - best thing ever for percussion sources - even if you don;t get any stations, it works a charm. Combined with Maths and some creative envelope/filter combos, you can do some very nice bits and bobs with it

Please do!

Also, I've now set up a "user forum" area on the Evaton Technologies website, where you can discuss modules, tips, etc, and also post up music / videos / pics. I welcome everyone to do that. While MuffWiggler is a fantastic forum, it may help people who are looking specifically for Evaton-related stuff.

http://www.evatontechnologies.com/apps/forums/
Can you post more about that hack you were referring to earlier? Would love to hear more!

SineBrave
Common Wiggler

Post by SineBrave » Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:11 pm

rh2y wrote:

Russ
Evaton Technologies
I honestly don't know anything about potentiometers, and I see a lot of different ones for sale. Will anything 10 turn that is 100k work for this purpose?

m0d
Veteran Wiggler

Post by m0d » Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:45 am

I'd like to thank Russ for making this. It moved to the top of the list when I first saw the demos. Sure, it might not be precisely tuned with the knobs, but I don't think of it as a regular shortwave radio. I'd buy an actual radio for that. For me, it is about the CV controlling a radio (loose term) to sweep through frequencies for cool and unusual sounds.

m0d
Veteran Wiggler

Post by m0d » Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:50 am

I've been thinking about this for years. Russ, in addition to the RF Nomad with its own internal radio, have you ever built a CV interface for an actual receiver/transceiver?

ZZ Ardoz
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ZZ Ardoz » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:09 am

m0d wrote:I'd like to thank Russ for making this. It moved to the top of the list when I first saw the demos. Sure, it might not be precisely tuned with the knobs, but I don't think of it as a regular shortwave radio. I'd buy an actual radio for that. For me, it is about the CV controlling a radio (loose term) to sweep through frequencies for cool and unusual sounds.
If you have Maths, then use channel 2 to send an offset to the cv in of the Nomad, it will allow you to zero in on things quite a bit easier.

What I do is to get the tuning close on the Nomad itself, and then set the CV Amount knob at a very low setting - this will give you quite a detailed sweep when turning the offset on Maths. It will work with other modules of course, but Maths is great for this.

SineBrave
Common Wiggler

Post by SineBrave » Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:14 am

ZZ Ardoz wrote:
m0d wrote:I'd like to thank Russ for making this. It moved to the top of the list when I first saw the demos. Sure, it might not be precisely tuned with the knobs, but I don't think of it as a regular shortwave radio. I'd buy an actual radio for that. For me, it is about the CV controlling a radio (loose term) to sweep through frequencies for cool and unusual sounds.
If you have Maths, then use channel 2 to send an offset to the cv in of the Nomad, it will allow you to zero in on things quite a bit easier.

What I do is to get the tuning close on the Nomad itself, and then set the CV Amount knob at a very low setting - this will give you quite a detailed sweep when turning the offset on Maths. It will work with other modules of course, but Maths is great for this.
That's great! I had been using Maths for this, but hadn't thought of turning the CV Amount down very low. Makes total sense (now).

:hail:

m0d
Veteran Wiggler

Post by m0d » Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:52 pm

ZZ Ardoz wrote: If you have Maths, then use channel 2 to send an offset to the cv in of the Nomad, it will allow you to zero in on things quite a bit easier.

I'm acquiring items very slowly and haven't had a chance to try that yet. Maths is also my list. I was suspecting and hoping that something could be used via CV to provide finer control. From the demos I saw on youtube, it looked like you could get in the ballpark and use Maths or something else to really dial it in. Thanks for letting me know.

ZZ Ardoz
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ZZ Ardoz » Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:02 pm

m0d wrote:
ZZ Ardoz wrote: If you have Maths, then use channel 2 to send an offset to the cv in of the Nomad, it will allow you to zero in on things quite a bit easier.

I'm acquiring items very slowly and haven't had a chance to try that yet. Maths is also my list. I was suspecting and hoping that something could be used via CV to provide finer control. From the demos I saw on youtube, it looked like you could get in the ballpark and use Maths or something else to really dial it in. Thanks for letting me know.
Not to push you in a certain direction or change your priorities list, but Maths is about as useful as it gets

ZZ Ardoz
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ZZ Ardoz » Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:21 pm

Here's a quickie I just did using the Nomad as the only sound source. The setup is drum triggers from a Beatstep Pro triggering maths channel 1 and 2 (on different drum channels) which in turn are summed out to the CV Amount on the Nomad. Then off to a Frequency Central Amplifier and an Intellijel uVCF, which are sent their own ways by two Frequency Central X series Envelopes triggered by another drum channel on the BS Pro. Again, very basic demo of using this as a sound source with minimal wiggling.
[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/229456293" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]

Return to “Eurorack Modules”