Shortwave Radio (Evaton RF Nomad?)

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

m0d
Veteran Wiggler

Post by m0d » Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:48 pm

ZZ Ardoz wrote:Not to push you in a certain direction or change your priorities list, but Maths is about as useful as it gets
Oh, I appreciate the suggestion. I've had some CV synths over the years but nothing too esoteric yet. It seems like that Maths covers a lot of the things I'd want and expect from a bunch of modules. I'll probably order it along with the Nomad in the next month and tie them into my existing CV gear.

rh2y
Common Wiggler

Post by rh2y » Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:05 pm

m0d wrote:I've been thinking about this for years. Russ, in addition to the RF Nomad with its own internal radio, have you ever built a CV interface for an actual receiver/transceiver?
I just now saw this. No, I actually haven't. But I liked the cool sounds you could get from twisting the knob on a receiver. I'm a ham myself (N3WDZ), and I use an FT-857 for calibrating the Nomads.

Something fun to do is to rotate the 857's tuning knob while listening to CW (morse code). It sounds EXACTLY like R2-D2!

m0d
Veteran Wiggler

Post by m0d » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:34 pm

rh2y wrote:I just now saw this. No, I actually haven't. But I liked the cool sounds you could get from twisting the knob on a receiver. I'm a ham myself (N3WDZ), and I use an FT-857 for calibrating the Nomads.

Something fun to do is to rotate the 857's tuning knob while listening to CW (morse code). It sounds EXACTLY like R2-D2!
CW is cool in every way. It became one of my favorite modes when I was studying for my know-code General. I never got the courage to try it after my exam although I know there are very cool people in groups like FISTS that are very helpful.

I have a recording I made of a massive CW pileup during a contest. I think I did the same thing when I was into RTTY. I love the sound of SSB slightly out of tune on HF, and especially listening to the doppler shift from satellite downlinks. Actually, I liked listening to the sounds and tuning up and down more than QSOs most of the time. That's why I immediately liked the RF Nomad.

I have a 706-mk2G with the Ci-V (?) breakout cable. I looked into controlling the tuning with something simple like an LFO control voltage but it was more involved (serial, etc) than I wanted to deal with anymore.

MrNovember
Ultra Wiggler

Post by MrNovember » Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:08 pm

Is there any reason that the RF Nomad is on an 8hp panel rather than a 6hp panel? Looking at the back, it looks like there's more than enough room to fit it on a 6hp panel. Is there any reason I shouldn't make my own 6hp panel for it?

bobbcorr
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bobbcorr » Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:24 pm

MrNovember wrote:Is there any reason that the RF Nomad is on an 8hp panel rather than a 6hp panel? Looking at the back, it looks like there's more than enough room to fit it on a 6hp panel. Is there any reason I shouldn't make my own 6hp panel for it?
Every HP counts -- squeezing that extra 2HP out would make a big difference for me in my buying decision.

Phil999
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Phil999 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:57 pm

ztron wrote:HI I know that you were looking for a shortwave module but I use this website http://websdr.ewi.utwente.nl:8901/
that's a great website, thanks a lot for that link.

Felnyrii
Common Wiggler

Post by Felnyrii » Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:28 pm

Here is some stuff from an academic conference I was performing at. All of the sound sources in my rig during Global Fusion were (4) RF Nomads. Granted, I don't have a lot of processing or even sequencing modules at the moment, so I have used it a lot for ambient and drone patches. Need me some :75:

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/232953047" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:19 pm

^ Very nice Felnyrii!

I really need to get the Nomad :love: I love when my Jupiter Storm sounds like when im tuning a radio, guess it reminds me of how i started doing music, or audio experiments rather (with a radio and a tape recorder).

Stupid question maybe, but is it analog or digital?

rh2y
Common Wiggler

Post by rh2y » Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:17 am

MrNovember wrote:Is there any reason that the RF Nomad is on an 8hp panel rather than a 6hp panel? Looking at the back, it looks like there's more than enough room to fit it on a 6hp panel. Is there any reason I shouldn't make my own 6hp panel for it?
The main reason for it being 8 HP instead of 6 is to reduce interference from adjacent modules. If you want to experiment with cutting down a faceplate to fit, there should be no real problem; just be aware that you may get some effects from closer proximity to the neighboring modules.

MrNovember
Ultra Wiggler

Post by MrNovember » Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:05 am

rh2y wrote:
The main reason for it being 8 HP instead of 6 is to reduce interference from adjacent modules. If you want to experiment with cutting down a faceplate to fit, there should be no real problem; just be aware that you may get some effects from closer proximity to the neighboring modules.
Hmm, good to know. I may try mounting it in a 6hp blank panel sometime to test it. Thanks for the response

nrg242
Common Wiggler

Post by nrg242 » Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:08 am

ztron wrote:HI I know that you were looking for a shortwave module but I use this website http://websdr.ewi.utwente.nl:8901/ Its a live controllable shortwave receiver you can save recordings on that site as well .
http://priyom.org/ have a number stations schedule so you can see when the next broadcast is about to begin There are lots of number broadcasts throughout the day.
Again maybe not what your looking for but worth a try
thanks for posting this. this is an amazing source. gonna feed this into borderlands until i find a Nomad or Radio Music.

SineBrave
Common Wiggler

Post by SineBrave » Sat Nov 14, 2015 3:20 pm

bemushroomed wrote:^ Very nice Felnyrii!

I really need to get the Nomad :love: I love when my Jupiter Storm sounds like when im tuning a radio, guess it reminds me of how i started doing music, or audio experiments rather (with a radio and a tape recorder).

Stupid question maybe, but is it analog or digital?
If you like broken radio tones, you will love the RF Nomad.

:bananaguitar:

msun
Common Wiggler

Post by msun » Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:37 pm

the Nomad is one of my favorite modules, but i think of it as a super noise generator. very organic noise, super useful to modulate things or just add that fuzz.

boydpost
Common Wiggler

Post by boydpost » Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:49 pm

rh2y wrote: If folks are interested, I can post a fairly easy mod that will widen the tuning range somewhat. I'm a bit busy testing/calibrating/shipping Nomads at the moment (BIG restock going out early next week to dealers worldwide), so it'll have to wait until after then, but I can put together pix and a short explanation.

Mind you, it will come at the expense of making it a little harder to tune to a specific frequency, and may make the Nomad a bit more drifty, but will allow tuning a wider portion of the 31m shortwave band.
Hi Russ! Did you ever post this mod? I was playing with my nomad the other night and I'm still not getting anything "signal" like, so I think I might as well try the update.

m0d
Veteran Wiggler

Post by m0d » Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:12 pm

boydpost wrote: Hi Russ! Did you ever post this mod? I was playing with my nomad the other night and I'm still not getting anything "signal" like, so I think I might as well try the update.
31m is pretty active. If you don't hear any radio signals, I'd look into the antenna and the environment before modding something. How is the antenna set up in the room? I saw in an earlier post that you are using a longer version. Is it the one Russ offers or something else? (Sorry if you've already mentioned it. I just had a brain-drain work day.)

What is the physical environment like? Are you near a window? Can you try a different room? It could even be affected by something outside. I had problems with reception (with a different HF radio) at one apartment because of a power line issue at a pole outside.

AuralAntithesis
Common Wiggler

Post by AuralAntithesis » Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:33 pm

it took me more than a few tries to tune in a station. But with an antenna circling around my bedroom and a few tips from folks with the module on youtube I can often tune in a signal now. loads of sound potential!
That's the most diabolical looking piece of equipment I've ever seen.
https://auralantithesis.bandcamp.com/

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:49 am

Just got the Nomad, can't receive anything though (kind of expected, will try this evening to see if there's a difference). Nice noise source!

Could i connect this to the outlet i have in the wall that say's FM? I guess this leads up to the antenna on the roof (i live in an apartment). If the antenna is still there, i guess no one uses this tech nowadays.. Not sure what kind of cable i would need though.. the outlet looks like this:

http://piclair.com/data/9ykl3.jpg

ZZ Ardoz
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ZZ Ardoz » Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:55 am

bemushroomed wrote:Just got the Nomad, can't receive anything though (kind of expected, will try this evening to see if there's a difference). Nice noise source!

Could i connect this to the outlet i have in the wall that say's FM? I guess this leads up to the antenna on the roof (i live in an apartment). If the antenna is still there, i guess no one uses this tech nowadays.. Not sure what kind of cable i would need though.. the outlet looks like this:

http://piclair.com/data/9ykl3.jpg
You could always try, but making an antenna specifically for the purpose is pretty simple. Try this link for tips

Are you just getting pure noise across the entire sweep of the knob, or are there squeals, etc?

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:21 pm

Thanks for the link! No, im getting more than white noise, got some really distorted voices just now.

ZZ Ardoz
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ZZ Ardoz » Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:23 pm

bemushroomed wrote:Thanks for the link! No, im getting more than white noise, got some really distorted voices just now.
cool - if you have Maths or something similar, you can spread the tuning out so getting just what you want is easier

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:39 pm

Don't have maths but i've played around a little with the CV using different modules.

What's the input (or the cable connection required) for the Nomad called? RCA? It seems like the tip is longer than the standard RCA.. Would be interesting to test the reception through the outlet in the wall, just need to figure out if such cable exists, or if i can make one. Im on the first floor which obviously isnt very ideal for radio.

ZZ Ardoz
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ZZ Ardoz » Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:45 pm

bemushroomed wrote:Don't have maths but i've played around a little with the CV using different modules.

What's the input (or the cable connection required) for the Nomad called? RCA? It seems like the tip is longer than the standard RCA.. Would be interesting to test the reception through the outlet in the wall, just need to figure out if such cable exists, or if i can make one. Im on the first floor which obviously isnt very ideal for radio.
Just a regular RCA

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:02 pm

Ok, thanks!

rh2y
Common Wiggler

Post by rh2y » Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:42 pm

boydpost wrote:
rh2y wrote: If folks are interested, I can post a fairly easy mod that will widen the tuning range somewhat. I'm a bit busy testing/calibrating/shipping Nomads at the moment (BIG restock going out early next week to dealers worldwide), so it'll have to wait until after then, but I can put together pix and a short explanation.

Mind you, it will come at the expense of making it a little harder to tune to a specific frequency, and may make the Nomad a bit more drifty, but will allow tuning a wider portion of the 31m shortwave band.
Hi Russ! Did you ever post this mod? I was playing with my nomad the other night and I'm still not getting anything "signal" like, so I think I might as well try the update.
Posted in the main evaton link now! ( viewtopic.php?t=108157 )

Chartreuse-J
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Chartreuse-J » Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:05 pm

Yeah,

Awesome module..

During the day I can pick up Cuban shortwave, and an evangelical station. If I extend the antenna further outside I can usually pick up an additional 2 stations.

Night, I can usually get the same but it seems strangely quiet at night.

Oh yeah, I'm in the the south-east of US.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”