Shortwave Radio (Evaton RF Nomad?)

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

AuralAntithesis
Common Wiggler

Post by AuralAntithesis » Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:48 pm

I get a crazy evangelical station up here in the pacific northwest as well. :sb:
That's the most diabolical looking piece of equipment I've ever seen.
https://auralantithesis.bandcamp.com/

rh2y
Common Wiggler

Post by rh2y » Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:50 pm

AuralAntithesis wrote:I get a crazy evangelical station up here in the pacific northwest as well. :sb:
If it's coming in pretty strongly, try patching the audio out on the Nomad to a multiple, then back into the CV IN on the Nomad. You can get the voice / carrier to self-modulate for some crazy FM-like sounds. Works best on a strong signal.

m0d
Veteran Wiggler

Post by m0d » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:10 pm

Chartreuse-J wrote: Night, I can usually get the same but it seems strangely quiet at night.
Some bands can appear to go dead at night. Solar energy affects the atmosphere during the day, helping to create conditions that help with radio propagation. Not sure about the RF Nomad's band, though. rh2y would know a lot more than me. :)

rh2y
Common Wiggler

Post by rh2y » Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:09 pm

m0d wrote:
Chartreuse-J wrote: Night, I can usually get the same but it seems strangely quiet at night.
Some bands can appear to go dead at night. Solar energy affects the atmosphere during the day, helping to create conditions that help with radio propagation. Not sure about the RF Nomad's band, though. rh2y would know a lot more than me. :)
The RF Nomad is on the 31m band, and it tunes roughly 9.7 to 10.0 MHz.

The 31m band was chosen because it seems to have the most activity at the most hours of the day, at least in the Pittsburgh area. I've had a load of folks in the UK tell me that reception for them picks up at night.

I seem to get Cuban stations around evening, and China Radio International during the day. Generally, I seem to always be doing calibration and testing around 5PM or so (just coincidence; I don't plan it that way) and there's usually a strong religious broadcast station right in the middle of the dial at that time of day.

SineBrave
Common Wiggler

Post by SineBrave » Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:59 am

Random extra thing you can do with the RF Nomad. Tonight I was running various triggers into my Ladik CV to MIDI module to get orchestra hits from my old Korg M3r sound module. But then I started trying to find out where I could plug the audio from the Korg back into the modular.

So I ran the orchestra hits into the CV in on the Nomad, and ran the audio output straight to my mixer. And when I was searching for stations, I could hear the orchestra hits very faintly in the background, coming in and out. But when I reached an area with a possible station, the orchestra came in loud and clear, albeit with a lot of static attached.

Unexpected, but fun!

Derp
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Derp » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:04 pm

Just got mine today. No clear channels yet (but I haven't tried much outside of the included antenna) but I did find that if you run an audio signal into the CV input and play with the CV amount, you can kinda sorta maybe a little bit emulate the sound of station coming in.

Edit: Also just tried hanging the antenna from the ceiling. It's got a little bit of slack to it and if you wiggle the antenna, the signal gets modulated by the swinging of the cable. NEATO!

ZZ Ardoz
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ZZ Ardoz » Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:19 pm

I hate to say, but now I've tried the Nomad on 2 coasts, with a very long antenna in a variety of positions, and other than the one evangelical station, I got zip. I wish there were a way to select different bands, as that would increase the possibilities. Sadly, though, I'll have to pass it along to someone who might be able to get better results with it. Not the module's fault at all, just the lack of stations inN America broadcasting in its range.

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:00 pm

Once or twice over the 40'ish times i used it i got very distant voices or music.
I also did the mod and often used the trimpots + extended the long antenna to twice the length (and wrapped it around my balcony) it didnt do anything for me. Sold it since i already have Jupiter Storm and Quantum Rainbow 2.

Fiddlestickz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Fiddlestickz » Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:17 am

Picked up this module last week and while there is plenty of noise to use I'm more interested in something stranger and some talking would be awesome, I'm in Australia and pretty close to the CBD of Sydney, does anyone else here pick up anything in Australia with theirs..?? also can I attach the provided aerial cable to an old TV antenna cable that goes up to the roof and pick up anything do you think..??

ube.zahn
Common Wiggler

Post by ube.zahn » Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:32 am

ztron wrote:HI I know that you were looking for a shortwave module but I use this website http://websdr.ewi.utwente.nl:8901/ Its a live controllable shortwave receiver you can save recordings on that site as well .
http://priyom.org/ have a number stations schedule so you can see when the next broadcast is about to begin There are lots of number broadcasts throughout the day.
Again maybe not what your looking for but worth a try
amazing !!!!

___

Fiddlestickz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Fiddlestickz » Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:23 am

ube.zahn wrote:
ztron wrote:HI I know that you were looking for a shortwave module but I use this website http://websdr.ewi.utwente.nl:8901/ Its a live controllable shortwave receiver you can save recordings on that site as well .
http://priyom.org/ have a number stations schedule so you can see when the next broadcast is about to begin There are lots of number broadcasts throughout the day.
Again maybe not what your looking for but worth a try
amazing !!!!

___
indeed, there is a lifetime of material on there..

ZZ Ardoz
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ZZ Ardoz » Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:58 am

Fiddlestickz wrote:Picked up this module last week and while there is plenty of noise to use I'm more interested in something stranger and some talking would be awesome, I'm in Australia and pretty close to the CBD of Sydney, does anyone else here pick up anything in Australia with theirs..?? also can I attach the provided aerial cable to an old TV antenna cable that goes up to the roof and pick up anything do you think..??
I would be very careful before attaching anything metal on your roof to your rack. There's a ton of info on making cheap shortwave antennas, and even more on safely grounding setups like the one you propose. Best to spend some time with that before proceeding.

Short answer to your question is, you might get something useful, but it won't be an efficient antenna. You can however use it as a mast to attach something better to, and take advantage of the cable run that's already there

Fiddlestickz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Fiddlestickz » Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:04 pm

ZZ Ardoz wrote:
Fiddlestickz wrote:Picked up this module last week and while there is plenty of noise to use I'm more interested in something stranger and some talking would be awesome, I'm in Australia and pretty close to the CBD of Sydney, does anyone else here pick up anything in Australia with theirs..?? also can I attach the provided aerial cable to an old TV antenna cable that goes up to the roof and pick up anything do you think..??
I would be very careful before attaching anything metal on your roof to your rack. There's a ton of info on making cheap shortwave antennas, and even more on safely grounding setups like the one you propose. Best to spend some time with that before proceeding.

Short answer to your question is, you might get something useful, but it won't be an efficient antenna. You can however use it as a mast to attach something better to, and take advantage of the cable run that's already there
Thanks I will take your advice, I had an idea to use a long fishing rod and thread some coaxial cable through the runners to the top eye and then coil some exposed copper from inside the cable around the last eye and then stand the rod upwards outside somehow fixing it to an outside wall...as soon as I get some time off I'm going to try this..

Flux302
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Flux302 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:51 pm

I run my antenna across the ceiling of my basement and get okay reception. it really depends on the time of day as to how busy the stations are. Mine is a prototype so I think my tuning range is a little different though. I really love using it into clouds for ghostly space drones ... I will try to get a nice video of that happening soon. :) it is build really well and definitely can be used as a very different sounding noise source as well.
----------------------------------
FluxWithIt.com
Youtube.com/Flux302
The SynthSummitShow (Live show)
----------------------------------

cthonist
Common Wiggler

Post by cthonist » Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:10 pm

Reporting in from NC in case anyone on the East coast is wondering about reception for this module.. Just got the Nomad today, w/ a 25ft antenna now taped to the ceiling. I am in an apartment building attached to a parking garage, so idk how ideal that is.. Also, I am extremely close to a police station. No police radio so far though :despair:

4pm: Plenty of heterodyne tones but otherwise white noise, across the dial. There's a really high-pitched band around 3'oclock with some weird screechy noise between the carriers
7:30: british-sounding voices at far-counterclockwise tuning. Adding a negative CV offset helps zero in. Still not possible to tell what's being said, but I think I can distinguish male & female voices, & occasional music.
8:30: Definitely more voices all over the dial but nothing I can understand.
I guess I'll update this as the night goes on!

rh2y
Common Wiggler

Post by rh2y » Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:27 pm

cthonist wrote: I am in an apartment building attached to a parking garage, so idk how ideal that is..
If you can drape the antenna out an open window, that may improve things. Sounds like you're getting some faint stations already, though!

You won't hear the police radio on the Nomad -- they transmit on a completely different range of frequencies from what the Nomad receives on.

Hope you enjoy it; and please post up any recordings you'd care to share!

Russ

xi-bot
Common Wiggler

Post by xi-bot » Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:52 pm

the "mod" mentioned several times means the L5 trimmer - right ?
what does the L4 trimmer do ?

Fiddlestickz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Fiddlestickz » Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:13 pm

I really wish it was an ordinary FM AM radio tuner, I mean what's wrong with that, it would be sweet to have a radio module that you listen to all day while tinkering etc..

dumbledog
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dumbledog » Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:31 pm

If you're in the States, you should at least be able to get the time signal stations, WWV (out of Fort Collins, Colorado) and WWVH (in Hawaii). Back in the day they would broadcast a continual signal on 2.5, 5, 10, 15 and I think 20 MHz, but they may have scaled it back. From Sacramento I was always able to get WWV on 5 and 10 and often 15. The other frequencies (and Hawaii) were always a bit tougher.

heres a breakout of the various tones generated by the station, which may be useful for calibration or bizarro ring modulation.

I still think it would be fun to have a pair of low powered transmitter/receiver modules, on opposite parts of a rack or even neighboring racks.

rh2y
Common Wiggler

Post by rh2y » Sun May 01, 2016 10:02 am

xi-bot wrote:the "mod" mentioned several times means the L5 trimmer - right ?
what does the L4 trimmer do ?
The L4 trimmer is for "peaking" reception -- it acts as a pre-selector on the front end of the radio, filtering out stations outside of the Nomad's reception range. It's set at the factory for maximum reception in the band that the Nomad receives.

As far as a transmitter, I can't legally sell a transmitter kit in the USA due to FCC regulations of that particular band.

One interesting thing a customer of mine recently tried is putting an audio signal into the CV input on the Nomad, then tuning near a heterodyne frequency. You get a sort of ringmodded / static-y audio output that sounds a little bit like you are transmitting your own signal. Perhaps I should post up a video of this.

Russ

guestt

Post by guestt » Sun May 01, 2016 10:12 am

Both of these points have been made earlier in this thread but I think they bear repeating with different gear:

Mutable Instruments Shades is perfect for creating the CV offset for very precise dialling, no need for ten turn pot mods:

1) set CV in on RFN to be 0. Set Shades channel to be bipolar and centre the knob.

2) Tune the main tuning knob until you hear something that isn't just noise.

3) turn the cv on RFN up a little.

4) Now fine tune with Shades == WIN!

Mutable Instruments Shelves on the output can really help boost weak signals and remove some of the noise, in effect you're creating your own band pass filter, except it's two filters and you can adjust the ranges very precisely.

Modulation on the freq inputs with a high gain is wickedly good fun!

Using these two together works a treat and really brings this awesome module into it's own! Thanks for making something so volatile Russ - it's great :tu:

p.s. I am in the UK and cloudy evenings are always better!

brianobush
Common Wiggler

Post by brianobush » Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:03 am

I have had the RF nomad for a week now. I have tried both the included antenna and an indoor slinky antenna across my ceiling. Thus far I have not picked up any sounds, not even a heterodyne whine. The only thing I pick up a signal around 3 o'clock that seems to be my computer or something.

I am using Maths as a CV offset with channels 2 and 3 to fine tune the tuning on the RF nomad.

I try at night when propagation is best and am located in the Pacific NW.

Any tips?

rh2y
Common Wiggler

Post by rh2y » Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:57 am

brianobush wrote:I have had the RF nomad for a week now. I have tried both the included antenna and an indoor slinky antenna across my ceiling. Thus far I have not picked up any sounds, not even a heterodyne whine. The only thing I pick up a signal around 3 o'clock that seems to be my computer or something.

I am using Maths as a CV offset with channels 2 and 3 to fine tune the tuning on the RF nomad.

I try at night when propagation is best and am located in the Pacific NW.

Any tips?
Try this:

http://www.evatontechnologies.com/nomad-tips-and-tricks

brianobush
Common Wiggler

Post by brianobush » Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:09 pm

rh2y wrote:
brianobush wrote:
Any tips?
Try this:

http://www.evatontechnologies.com/nomad-tips-and-tricks
I have tried most of those; will try during daytime though. Haven't tried that yet.

stevebryson
Wiggling with Experience

Post by stevebryson » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:42 am

Can the wire for an extended antenna be stranded, or does it need to be single-core? All the wire I have laying around is stranded copper.
The instrument is not the music.
http://stevepur.com/music/synths/

Return to “Eurorack Modules”