4ms SMRF: Spectral Multiband Resonant Filter

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

captjrab
Veteran Wiggler

Post by captjrab » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:33 am

lobra wrote:has anybody been using the smr as a quantizer from the envelope CVs? im really not trying to buy a dedicated quantizer and was wondering if i could quantize with the smr in VCO mode.
I use it as a quantizer and sequencer. The circular flow is really creative and the scalebanks are well laid out and push me into sonic territory I would otherwise have no clue about.
In 1v/oct mode/Shruti scalebank lock the green channel for the tonic and swoop the blue channel around. Put an attenuated EG on scale rotate. This'll make your solo jump octaves. Kinda get a shaum raga Indian street music thing going:

reodjectz
Veteran Wiggler

Post by reodjectz » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:04 pm

captjrab wrote:
lobra wrote:has anybody been using the smr as a quantizer from the envelope CVs? im really not trying to buy a dedicated quantizer and was wondering if i could quantize with the smr in VCO mode.
I use it as a quantizer and sequencer. The circular flow is really creative and the scalebanks are well laid out and push me into sonic territory I would otherwise have no clue about.
In 1v/oct mode/Shruti scalebank lock the green channel for the tonic and swoop the blue channel around. Put an attenuated EG on scale rotate. This'll make your solo jump octaves. Kinda get a shaum raga Indian street music thing going:
Wait for it - its worth it. Nice stuff - very unique - so different from other SMR things I've heard. Will try my own experiments from this jumping off point.

cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cptnal » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:09 pm

Pretty cool. 8-) Must spend more time with the orange bank.

I was coming from the angle of feeding a signal into the Freq. jack to see if it came out quantized to your scale. It doesn't. But it does seem to add the two together, so I suppose you could use it as a kind of scale-based precision adder.

cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cptnal » Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:16 pm

cptnal wrote:Pretty cool. 8-) Must spend more time with the orange bank.

I was coming from the angle of feeding a signal into the Freq. jack to see if it came out quantized to your scale. It doesn't. But it does seem to add the two together, so I suppose you could use it as a kind of scale-based precision adder.
Update: Well, that didn't go exactly as I expected (as usual) but what a great hour's wiggling. :sb:

captjrab
Veteran Wiggler

Post by captjrab » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:43 pm

cptnal wrote:
cptnal wrote:Pretty cool. 8-) Must spend more time with the orange bank.

Update: Well, that didn't go exactly as I expected (as usual) but what a great hour's wiggling. :sb:
I'm not at my system right now so I cant check it out, but what about doing a custom scale of all the same note? Then your sequencer into freq may track properly?

lobra
Common Wiggler

Post by lobra » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:27 pm

cptnal wrote:Interesting idea. Might try it myself but I'm not near my rack. (I have to go this place every day where they make me do work in exchange for money for food and modules.) If you have a SMR why not try it out against a known pitch and see if it does what you expect?

Anyhoo, what's wrong with a dedicated quantizer? If you're looking for something that will do that job why not buy something that was designed to do it? IMHO the SMR's scales are tricky to get right, whereas with a quantizer you can flip any note on or off on the fly.
prolly just gonna go with a dedicated quanitize however, since im tight on funds / space I was just wondering what peoples thoughts on the SMR as a dedicated quantizer were...

nedrush
Common Wiggler

Post by nedrush » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:39 am

Hi. I wonder if in future updates we'll see more filter types added?

Thanks. Great module. Sorry if this has been requested already.

raimbo
Learning to Wiggle

Post by raimbo » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:23 pm

hey, i'm experiencing some cv slewing on 1v/oct input and 1v/oct output it's 2 octave over what i'm sending in it.. anyone has the same issue?

adh82
Wiggling with Experience

Post by adh82 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:53 am

raimbo wrote:hey, i'm experiencing some cv slewing on 1v/oct input and 1v/oct output it's 2 octave over what i'm sending in it.. anyone has the same issue?
I've been getting the slew or glide when using the 1voct inputs. Haven't tried the outs yet but the glide has been driving me nuts. There must be a way to stop it?

raimbo
Learning to Wiggle

Post by raimbo » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:48 am

same here, i got a glide on input and output either.. morph is at zero, pre/post on post..

captjrab
Veteran Wiggler

Post by captjrab » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:57 pm

^^^^^^^
When in 1v/oct mode flip the post/pre switch to the right for no portamento/regular morph.

raimbo
Learning to Wiggle

Post by raimbo » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:01 pm

to switch off portamento you had to switch post/pre on the left, on post. But is not that! It's more like cv are slewing either i switch on/off portamento

adh82
Wiggling with Experience

Post by adh82 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:44 pm

I've tried a few switch combos and can't seem to get ride of the glide. It's like it is slewing the INPUT cv. Would really like to stop this.

MoogCloud
Common Wiggler

Post by MoogCloud » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:31 pm

Hovercraft wrote:Ambient patch to test out the new SMR firmware. Mangrove through the SMR as the primary voice.

[video][/video]
Just came across this for the first time. This is beautiful organic ambient music. :tu:
Mother 96, GRP R24, and 18U of EuroMagic.
Modular Grid
My SoundCloud

dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dooj88 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:20 pm

adh82 wrote:I've tried a few switch combos and can't seem to get ride of the glide. It's like it is slewing the INPUT cv. Would really like to stop this.
i haven't tried this yet, so just spitballing here, would having morph up create this behavior?

Hovercraft
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Hovercraft » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:13 pm

MoogCloud wrote:
Just came across this for the first time. This is beautiful organic ambient music. :tu:
Thanks! Working on some new pieces with the SMR.

adh82
Wiggling with Experience

Post by adh82 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:11 pm

dooj88 wrote:
adh82 wrote:I've tried a few switch combos and can't seem to get rid of the glide. It's like it is slewing the INPUT cv. Would really like to stop this.
i haven't tried this yet, so just spitballing here, would having morph up create this behavior?
Morph is of course down.

Still haven't sorted this issue.

Anyone else sorted this yet?

Dcramer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dcramer » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:46 pm

The 1v/oct works great and you still get the filter outs :tu:

This thread of mine details a big patch completely driven by the SMR:

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... highlight=

:party:

Hovercraft
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Hovercraft » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:12 pm

Has anyone had trouble saving settings in the six slots? I'm running the latest firmware, and every time I save with locked notes and resonance settings--when i reload, the resonance settings all revert to zero. The scale and notes get saved just fine, but it's impossible to save any resonance settings. I have no issues locking resonance settings for any or all channels--they just don't get saved.

Dcramer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dcramer » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:30 pm

I’ve noticed this as well.
I wonder if it only saves certain settings and not others or if the display just doesn’t update.
For example when I save bank and scale, they don’t show properly until I touch/push the rotate knob. :hmm:

And here’s another version of my previous SMR/Chaos voice.
This time I’m splitting the sines into two groups of three and patching those into wavefolders, all controlled by chaos LFOs.
Squishy brassy goodness abounds:

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... p?t=193004

Hovercraft
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Hovercraft » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:38 pm

Dcramer wrote:I’ve noticed this as well.
I wonder if it only saves certain settings and not others or if the display just doesn’t update.
For example when I save bank and scale, they don’t show properly until I touch/push the rotate knob. :hmm:

And here’s another version of my previous SMR/Chaos voice.
This time I’m splitting the sines into two groups of three and patching those into wavefolders, all controlled by chaos LFOs.
Squishy brassy goodness abounds:

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... p?t=193004

Thanks for confirming, I'll play around with the settings, but I think it's a bug.

That's a wild trippy patch you posted. Always interesting to see complex generative works.

BaloErets
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BaloErets » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:07 pm

Had my 1st proper wiggle with the SMR the other night. Enjoying it very much. The SMR and DLD sitting side by side is working wonders :)
[video][/video]

BillyB909
Common Wiggler

Post by BillyB909 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:54 pm

raimbo wrote:same here, i got a glide on input and output either.. morph is at zero, pre/post on post..
I've just noticed this; I don't know if it's new but it's really really annoying.

Did anyone find an answer to this at all?

It basically doesn't track 1/v octave in any useful way for me.

BillyB909
Common Wiggler

Post by BillyB909 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:29 pm

Update: going back to the original filter type via system mode addressed this for me.

I also found that the original filter is a lot louder! For tuned percussive hits it does the trick for me.

adh82
Wiggling with Experience

Post by adh82 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:59 pm

BillyB909 wrote:Update: going back to the original filter type via system mode addressed this for me.

I also found that the original filter is a lot louder! For tuned percussive hits it does the trick for me.
Interesting!
I'll have to try this out, if I can confirm it we may have found a bug

Return to “Eurorack Modules”