4ms SMRF: Spectral Multiband Resonant Filter

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

Hovercraft
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Hovercraft » Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:52 pm

I contacted 4MS about the problem saving channel resonance settings in the save slots, and Dan is looking into it. I also brought up the issue about slew on the FREQ inputs, but haven’t heard back from him yet. Interesting bit of information on changing the filter back to get rid of the slew. Hopefully these issues can be resolved with a few firmware tweaks.

adh82
Wiggling with Experience

Post by adh82 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:24 pm

Oh good work!
Yeah hopefully we get the slew issue fixed. Its been driving me nuts :hihi:

L.C.O.
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by L.C.O. » Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:39 pm

Yes.
Me too.

Hovercraft
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Hovercraft » Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:47 pm

Tried going back to the original filter, and it had zero effect on the slewing problem. I also confirmed the new double filter is a giant improvement over the original filter--it offers a lot more timbres for percussive elements, and more control over the output. I can't find any musical use for the slewing--it's terrible and it makes me sad.

BillyB909
Common Wiggler

Post by BillyB909 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:15 pm

OK, it isn't the filter, that's my error.

If it's any use to anyone looking at this bug; it seems to be more noticeable at higher frequencies. At least for me; I'm not sure that this is a characteristic of slew it in itself and how it relates to v/o.

olvrjck
Learning to Wiggle

Post by olvrjck » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:11 am

Hoping one of you can help me out with an issue i'm having with the CV rotate input. Not sure if it's a mistake on my part or just a quirk of the module!

I'll try and explain and clear as possible.

1. I have the six channels resonating, internal noise source only.

2. A trigger into either of the rotate trigs rotates the channels as expected. If I lock any of the channels then the channels continue to rotate and simply skip out the positions occupied by locked channels, again as expected.

3. Now I set up a CV sequence, each step 0.25v higher than the last. I put this into the rotate CV and the channels rotate one position per step as before.

4. Now if I lock a channel, instead of skipping the occupied position as before, the other channels seem to be blocked by that position. As the unlocked channels move into the position of the locked channel they jump over it and spin all the way around the ring to the other side rather than just moving to the next free space as expected.

This means that it is seemingly impossible to set up a repeating sequence when locked channels are in use as every time a locked channel is crossed the spread of the channels is changed, and thus the sequence changes.

Would be much appreciated if any you have any experience/ideas why it behaves like this!

4mspedals
Veteran Wiggler

Post by 4mspedals » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:23 pm

adh82 wrote:Oh good work!
Ok, with the help of Hovercraft, we have a new firmware beta version to test out. It changes two things:
1) Q-lock (Resonance) values were not properly loaded when loading a saved slot. This bug showed up in v5, but is now fixed.

2) The slew amount applied to the Freq jacks has been reduced. There is a little bit more jitter in pitch at the higher frequencies, but to my ears it's still within acceptable range. The slew/jitter tradeoff can still be fine-tuned, so I'd appreciate any feedback.
Here's the v5.1 beta2 firmware file:

http://4mscompany.com/SMRF/firmware/smr ... 1beta2.wav

dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dooj88 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:23 am

nice! thanks for the update

adh82
Wiggling with Experience

Post by adh82 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:09 am

Amazing, thank you so much for doing this.
I'll install it and report back.

destroythings
Common Wiggler

Post by destroythings » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:46 am

I was just having a reorder of my rack and when disconnecting the power lead from the 4MS SMR the power connector on the PCB came straight off.

Anyone else had a similar issue

If there is someone in Berlin able to fix this for me i would prefer not to have to ship back to US for a fix.

jeannot
Ghost Beach

Post by jeannot » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:20 pm

Ah bummer. A weak solder joint must have slipped through QC, it happens. You just need to re-tack it to the header pads with some solder, but understand that's still inconvenient. If you aren't able to get it sorted in Berlin please send correspondence to 4ms@4mscompany.com.

adh82
Wiggling with Experience

Post by adh82 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:44 am

4mspedals wrote:
Ok, with the help of Hovercraft, we have a new firmware beta version to test out. It changes two things:
1) Q-lock (Resonance) values were not properly loaded when loading a saved slot. This bug showed up in v5, but is now fixed.

2) The slew amount applied to the Freq jacks has been reduced. There is a little bit more jitter in pitch at the higher frequencies, but to my ears it's still within acceptable range. The slew/jitter tradeoff can still be fine-tuned, so I'd appreciate any feedback.

So I've installed the beta and first tests show the slew issue seems resolved enough to be playable again. Thanks you!
I'll let you know if I come across anything issues.

Happy days!

Dennis
Common Wiggler

Post by Dennis » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:22 pm

Hi guys,

i just got my SMR and now im wondering:

can i tune it all at once, or do i have to tune every band separately as showed in the tutorial video?

i want to cut the really high notes, so can i transpose it down in one easy step, or is it only possible with ''custom'' scales?

and is there a factory reset?

Ptbarnum
Common Wiggler

Post by Ptbarnum » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:36 pm

Dennis wrote:Hi guys,

can i tune it all at once, or do i have to tune every band separately as showed in the tutorial video?

i want to cut the really high notes, so can i transpose it down in one easy step, or is it only possible with ''custom'' scales?

There’s a factory reset, forgot the process, but it’s in the manual :tu:

@realwiggler
Common Wiggler

Post by @realwiggler » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:09 pm

Installed the beta firmware today. So far so good, thanks for update!!

4mspedals wrote:

Leverkusen
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Leverkusen » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:16 pm

destroythings wrote:I was just having a reorder of my rack and when disconnecting the power lead from the 4MS SMR the power connector on the PCB came straight off.

Anyone else had a similar issue

If there is someone in Berlin able to fix this for me i would prefer not to have to ship back to US for a fix.

Yep, I took mine new out of the box like this - sent it back to Schneidersladen and they fixed it.

dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dooj88 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:41 am

Dennis wrote:Hi guys,

you can use the forbidden notes feature to cut out the notes you don't want.

Ish
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Ish » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:46 pm

New to the SMR.

Back on page 25 there was discussion about an oscillator alt firmware under development. Was this abandoned in light of the Spherical Wavetable thingy, or is the alt firmware still brewing?

cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cptnal » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:19 am

Ish wrote:New to the SMR.

Back on page 25 there was discussion about an oscillator alt firmware under development. Was this abandoned in light of the Spherical Wavetable thingy, or is the alt firmware still brewing?
The fact that you're new to SMR and are already looking for an alt firmware sounds familiar. :spin: I've had mine six months and I think I'm just starting to get the hang of it. Stick with it! It reveals its secrets slowly.

Anyway, to answer your question, yes - the wavetable oscillator was originally intended to be an alt firmware for SMR, but the hardware became limiting so they developed it as a new module.

donrock
Common Wiggler

Post by donrock » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:12 am

There seems to be lots and lots of demo videos of the SMR showing it with RES (Q) fully clockwise so it self resonates, or SMR resonating other synth voices.

Does anyone use the SMR for filtering/resonating audio samples of "real" instruments such as piano etc.? Some examples would be greatly appreciated!

Also, I believe there is only one instagram video in this thread where they modulated a recording of a bonfire (great work btw), more examples like this would also be awesome.

:sb:

donrock
Common Wiggler

Post by donrock » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:13 am

Double post, sorry..

BillyB909
Common Wiggler

Post by BillyB909 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:50 am

4mspedals wrote:

Just spotted this - thanks for the update guys.

Dcramer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dcramer » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:46 pm

donrock wrote:There seems to be lots and lots of demo videos of the SMR showing it with RES (Q) fully clockwise so it self resonates, or SMR resonating other synth voices.

Does anyone use the SMR for filtering/resonating audio samples of "real" instruments such as piano etc.? Some examples would be greatly appreciated!

Also, I believe there is only one instagram video in this thread where they modulated a recording of a bonfire (great work btw), more examples like this would also be awesome.

I’ve had some fun using the SMR as six envelope generators with classical music patched in and the six CVs driving a whole patch.

Also had great fun filtering noise to creat the weird organic brass timbres in this patch:

viewtopic.php?t=191514&highlight=

captjrab
Veteran Wiggler

Post by captjrab » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:53 pm

donrock wrote:There seems to be lots and lots of demo videos of the SMR showing it with RES (Q) fully clockwise so it self resonates, or SMR resonating other synth voices.

Been putting some raw sounds from the KOMA Filed Kit into the SMR. Some solenoid pulses or motor plucks work well. Kinda like Rings, you want to activate or excite it intermitantly. I’ve tried VCO’s and other sound sources in the modular arent that exciting and often cause sine feedback overload. So many ways of using the SMR tho. I use it for its circular sequencing. In 1v/oct mode send a couple sequences out to VCOs and mess with different clocks on yr VCO/EG/VCA. I like a little SMR sound blended wih this for some lovely little compositions. Let us know what you come up with.

Hovercraft
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Hovercraft » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:29 pm

The current beta firmware is great. The freq inputs are much more usable with the reduced slew.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”