4ms SMRF: Spectral Multiband Resonant Filter

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

Post Reply
donrock
Common Wiggler
Posts: 176
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:16 am

Post by donrock » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:13 am

Dcramer - your patch sounds amazing, thanks for sharing!
captjrab wrote:Let us know what you come up with.
There isn't an SMR in my rig yet - I have 36HP of free space left, which I might fill with the SMR and some utilities, or Rainmaker, or something else.. I'm not there yet financially, but doing the research in the mean time on what would compliment my current rig best. I feel as if the SMR is different enough from my other main audio manglers (Clouds, Morphagene), that it would be a good match. While the Rainmaker is a beast, i feel the general direction of the sound is nearer to what Clouds can do - and more, obviously, but I like what I can do with clouds, so it's staying. The only thing that worries me is that whenever I hear the SMR in the mix in youtube videos, it has that unmistakeable sound - probably mostly due to a lot of people using it as its own voice with RES fully up, which is why I wondered what else could be done with it. Just based on the description of what its ins and outs can do, it seems to be able to do much more than just that sound.

User avatar
captjrab
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 695
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:10 pm
Location: SF, CA
Contact:

Post by captjrab » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:43 am

Gotcha
I am figuring out new ways to use the SMR and experimentitng all the time. Not always successful, but the good ideas get added to the bag of tricks. Last night I ran a noise generator thru an LPG controlled by PEG and CV’d the Res with an attenuated envelope while sequencing Morph. It can be a real rabbit hole.
To not sound like everyone else, you need to (like all soundsources) run it through some different modules. Rings and SMR go great together and I built a mini Leslie speaker using the FiledKit and the SMR soundns great going thru that.
Good luck on your modular choices. There’s a lot to choose from threse days. You cant really go wrong no matter what you fill your hp with.

User avatar
dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1596
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:31 pm
Location: lovettsville, va
Contact:

Post by dooj88 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:56 pm

donrock wrote:Dcramer - your patch sounds amazing, thanks for sharing!
captjrab wrote:Let us know what you come up with.
There isn't an SMR in my rig yet - I have 36HP of free space left, which I might fill with the SMR and some utilities, or Rainmaker, or something else.. I'm not there yet financially, but doing the research in the mean time on what would compliment my current rig best. I feel as if the SMR is different enough from my other main audio manglers (Clouds, Morphagene), that it would be a good match. While the Rainmaker is a beast, i feel the general direction of the sound is nearer to what Clouds can do - and more, obviously, but I like what I can do with clouds, so it's staying. The only thing that worries me is that whenever I hear the SMR in the mix in youtube videos, it has that unmistakeable sound - probably mostly due to a lot of people using it as its own voice with RES fully up, which is why I wondered what else could be done with it. Just based on the description of what its ins and outs can do, it seems to be able to do much more than just that sound.
hope this helps. here's the SMR processing audio and different bands getting pinged with bytebeat equations without being fully saturated. you can hear tuned rhythmic pulses and low raging bass tones being picked out of the glitchy audio running into it.

[video][/video]

User avatar
cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 3873
Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:48 am
Location: People's Republic of Scotland

Post by cptnal » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:07 pm

dooj88 wrote:
donrock wrote:Dcramer - your patch sounds amazing, thanks for sharing!
captjrab wrote:Let us know what you come up with.
There isn't an SMR in my rig yet - I have 36HP of free space left, which I might fill with the SMR and some utilities, or Rainmaker, or something else.. I'm not there yet financially, but doing the research in the mean time on what would compliment my current rig best. I feel as if the SMR is different enough from my other main audio manglers (Clouds, Morphagene), that it would be a good match. While the Rainmaker is a beast, i feel the general direction of the sound is nearer to what Clouds can do - and more, obviously, but I like what I can do with clouds, so it's staying. The only thing that worries me is that whenever I hear the SMR in the mix in youtube videos, it has that unmistakeable sound - probably mostly due to a lot of people using it as its own voice with RES fully up, which is why I wondered what else could be done with it. Just based on the description of what its ins and outs can do, it seems to be able to do much more than just that sound.
hope this helps. here's the SMR processing audio and different bands getting pinged with bytebeat equations without being fully saturated. you can hear tuned rhythmic pulses and low raging bass tones being picked out of the glitchy audio running into it.

[video][/video]
:yay:

I wired up a version of this into the patch I was playing and my SMR started playing the blues! :banana:

donrock
Common Wiggler
Posts: 176
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:16 am

Post by donrock » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:15 am

dooj88 wrote:
hope this helps. here's the SMR processing audio and different bands getting pinged with bytebeat equations without being fully saturated. you can hear tuned rhythmic pulses and low raging bass tones being picked out of the glitchy audio running into it.

Wow, thanks for making this video, it's greatly appreciated! Also thanks to everyone giving patch tips, it seems the SMR is as flexible as I thought, but like every other module, if you use it mostly on its own (like most videos do, to demo a module), it will have it's own obvious sound, which i think should be fine when you mix it with everything else in a system.
I hope I didn't come across as requesting people to make videos for me, that wasn't my intention (I read my first post again, and it does sound like that, sorry). What I meant was, if someone could share videos they know of, where the SMR is used in interesting ways that doesn't sound like it's usual sound. I will keep watching this thread for more info and sound clips.
Thanks!

User avatar
dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1596
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:31 pm
Location: lovettsville, va
Contact:

Post by dooj88 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:59 am

donrock wrote:
dooj88 wrote:
hope this helps. here's the SMR processing audio and different bands getting pinged with bytebeat equations without being fully saturated. you can hear tuned rhythmic pulses and low raging bass tones being picked out of the glitchy audio running into it.

Wow, thanks for making this video, it's greatly appreciated! Also thanks to everyone giving patch tips, it seems the SMR is as flexible as I thought, but like every other module, if you use it mostly on its own (like most videos do, to demo a module), it will have it's own obvious sound, which i think should be fine when you mix it with everything else in a system.
I hope I didn't come across as requesting people to make videos for me, that wasn't my intention (I read my first post again, and it does sound like that, sorry). What I meant was, if someone could share videos they know of, where the SMR is used in interesting ways that doesn't sound like it's usual sound. I will keep watching this thread for more info and sound clips.
Thanks!
heh, of course not. i was thinking about it when at the modular the other day and made a quick video. i had fun doing it. and since we're in an age where it's a breeze to share info so easily, why the hell not?

User avatar
ym2612
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1100
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:54 am
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Post by ym2612 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:41 pm

What does the SMR sound like with noise going in at less than 100% resonance? Can you use it to produce bands of filtered white noise like you here in this piece?



I know Telharmonic can do this, but I'm interested in whether SMR would be able to do with with up to 6 bands, frequency rotation, morphing, etc.

User avatar
cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 3873
Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:48 am
Location: People's Republic of Scotland

Post by cptnal » Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:52 am

Just me or is that vid "not available"?

So... can't answer your question definitively, but noise is normalled to the inputs, and each channel is a filter with its frequency set (mainly) by the big knob. Whether that sounds like your video... :despair:

User avatar
captjrab
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 695
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:10 pm
Location: SF, CA
Contact:

Post by captjrab » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:19 am

ym2612 wrote:What does the SMR sound like with noise going in at less than 100% resonance? Can you use it to produce bands of filtered white noise like you here in this piece?



I know Telharmonic can do this, but I'm interested in whether SMR would be able to do with with up to 6 bands, frequency rotation, morphing, etc.
Quick vid where I adjust from Resonance to white noise and back. Its got a wind-like sound with white noise which is pretty nice. You can CV the res mix as well.

Noise source is the telharmonic.

User avatar
glennfin
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 565
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:19 pm
Location: Winston Salem, NC
Contact:

Post by glennfin » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:19 am

Hey folks;

I just updated the firmware on my 4ms STS. It took a few tries but after mucking with the levels it finally worked.

Now trying to update my SMR to V5 using the same process. I make it till about 2 min into the audio file and it crashes. Tried over and over again with the same results. Tried with both Windows media player and Audacity, same results. I can't imagine why updating using a smart phone would be any different than a PC... but hey, I've been wrong at least once before. :mrgreen:

Any suggestions as to why this is happening?.

Also, the link for "SMR User Manual 1.1.1 (for firmware v5)" is a dead link. (listed as "February 2017") and, their Email contact throws an error as well ... :roll:

User avatar
cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 3873
Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:48 am
Location: People's Republic of Scotland

Post by cptnal » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:25 am

Weird! Can't help you with the firmware - mine came with v5 already installed. I do remember a lot of faffing about with different devices when I did my MI modules though.

WRT the manuals, looks like the links on the site, or the folder structure behind it, has changed. Try adding a "F" into the URL, thus...

http://4mspedals.com/SMR/manual/SMR-v5-updates.pdf

http://4mspedals.com/SMRF/manual/SMR-v5-updates.pdf

User avatar
glennfin
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 565
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:19 pm
Location: Winston Salem, NC
Contact:

Post by glennfin » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:02 am

Thanks very much for the quick reply and info!. Yup, just like you said, added "F" to the URL and wahla!. If someone can provide a direct email contact for 4ms I'll gladly inform them of this in addition to their website email contact form crashing.

I finally got the V5 firmware loaded. Seems the SMR is very level sensitive. It worked using Windows media player plugged into the Intellijel I/O module. The output level had to be set just at 6db for it to play the WAV file all the way through without crashing. :hmm:

... Wouldn't work with my Samsung dumb phone... had issues with the headphone jack sensing the cable, probably expecting a headset vs a line cable? don't know, but the SMR is now updated to V5. :yay: :yay:

By the way, your piece "Sulphur" is awesome.

cptnal wrote:Weird! Can't help you with the firmware - mine came with v5 already installed. I do remember a lot of faffing about with different devices when I did my MI modules though.

WRT the manuals, looks like the links on the site, or the folder structure behind it, has changed. Try adding a "F" into the URL, thus...

http://4mspedals.com/SMR/manual/SMR-v5-updates.pdf

http://4mspedals.com/SMRF/manual/SMR-v5-updates.pdf

User avatar
cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 3873
Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:48 am
Location: People's Republic of Scotland

Post by cptnal » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:29 am

glennfin wrote:By the way, your piece "Sulphur" is awesome.
Why, thank you! :guinness:

I take it you know the SMR features heavily...

User avatar
glennfin
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 565
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:19 pm
Location: Winston Salem, NC
Contact:

Post by glennfin » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:38 am

Yes!. I'm hoping to gain a better understanding of my SMR. Have not been able to coax anything very "exciting" out of it yet...
cptnal wrote:
glennfin wrote:By the way, your piece "Sulphur" is awesome.
Why, thank you! :guinness:

I take it you know the SMR features heavily...

Struggle
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 358
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:38 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Post by Struggle » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:08 am

I really missed the SMR and recently bought one again. Funny how they seemed to disappear from the FS section after all these SMR threads popped up at the same time :tu:

User avatar
cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 3873
Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:48 am
Location: People's Republic of Scotland

Post by cptnal » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:50 am

FWIW, here's a list of things I try to bring to my forebrain whenever I want to start making use of the SMR again...

It has six channels, but you don't have to use them all
It has two separate audio outs for two separate audio chains
It's a sequencer
It's an envelope follower
It's a filter
It's an oscillator
It's a noise source
It's a trigger generator
Sine waves sound good through wavefolders
Harmonics are good in small doses, but can be filtered anyway

That's probably not exhaustive, and I'd welcome additions. It's probably part of the problem/attraction with this module - it can do loads of things, but all wildly different and unrelated to each other. :zombie:

User avatar
dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1596
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:31 pm
Location: lovettsville, va
Contact:

Post by dooj88 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:57 am

-feed it nasty, angry, glitchy sounds and be gentle with the Q setting
-self patch it!
-send pre-filtered noise to input, then create a feedback patch using one of the outs to be processed in various ways then sent to a mixer with original sound source and back in

User avatar
cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 3873
Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:48 am
Location: People's Republic of Scotland

Post by cptnal » Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:06 pm

I like the idea of feeding it nasty. :evil:

User avatar
glennfin
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 565
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:19 pm
Location: Winston Salem, NC
Contact:

Post by glennfin » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:57 pm

Thanks for the tips and suggestions guys... I'll dive in deeper... in the meantime, my Rainmaker just arrived after waiting for almost 4 months for delivery!! :cry: gotta check that out first. 8-)

User avatar
BTG
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1216
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:32 pm
Location: USA

Post by BTG » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:36 pm

I do agree that if you don't mess with it enough that the SMR will end up as "instant indie movie soundtrack". That said...here's an instant indie movie soundtrack with SMR/DLD (Mercury7 as final reverb):

https://soundcloud.com/firstderivative/ ... ectrum-vco

pelang
Common Wiggler
Posts: 223
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:30 pm
Location: switzerland
Contact:

Post by pelang » Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:35 am

cptnal wrote:FWIW, here's a list of things I try to bring to my forebrain whenever I want to start making use of the SMR again...

It has six channels, but you don't have to use them all
It has two separate audio outs for two separate audio chains
It's a sequencer
It's an envelope follower
It's a filter
It's an oscillator
It's a noise source
It's a trigger generator
Sine waves sound good through wavefolders
Harmonics are good in small doses, but can be filtered anyway

That's probably not exhaustive, and I'd welcome additions. It's probably part of the problem/attraction with this module - it can do loads of things, but all wildly different and unrelated to each other. :zombie:
"scan" thru a sound by very slowly rise/lower the pitch over a wide range. all the resonances of the sound will pop out.

DallasKnight
Common Wiggler
Posts: 111
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:51 pm

Post by DallasKnight » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:35 am

Does anybody else have issues with the 1v/oct out function?

When I connect one VCO it's fine, but as soon as I connect two they just sound like a mess, I have tried tuning both VCO's to the same note before I patch but Ive also tried tuning them to the bands on the SMR

Does anybody have any recommendations when using the SMR in this way? and do you need to tune the VCO's to the SMR or have them all tuned to the same note like C?

User avatar
klacke
Common Wiggler
Posts: 88
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:29 am

Post by klacke » Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:00 am

Contemplating if I should get a SMR or not?
:despair:
Does anyone know how it compares to Random Source Serge Res EQ?
Is 4ms still developing updates for SMR?

User avatar
cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 3873
Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:48 am
Location: People's Republic of Scotland

Post by cptnal » Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:17 am

klacke wrote:Contemplating if I should get a SMR or not?
:despair:
Does anyone know how it compares to Random Source Serge Res EQ?
Is 4ms still developing updates for SMR?
FWIW, my SMR is currently "resting". It may be back when available space changes but for the moment I'm quite happy without it. Don't know about the Serge, but I'm pretty sure all 4MS's efforts are going into the forthcoming Wavetable Navigator thingy at the moment.

User avatar
th0mas
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 634
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:36 pm
Location: Ottawa

Post by th0mas » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:30 am

klacke wrote:Contemplating if I should get a SMR or not?
:despair:
Does anyone know how it compares to Random Source Serge Res EQ?
Is 4ms still developing updates for SMR?
I owned an SMR before, have the Res EQ now.

I never got *really* into the SMR too deeply, my patches with it were always relatively pedestrian, but some differences I'd mention off the top of my head:
- Res EQ does not have many CV inputs for control.
- Res EQ does not change it's frequencies, so no eerie shifting chord patterns
- Res EQ with high feedback usually converges on one frequency, not a chord of frequencies, since the whole module is being fed back, not each channel individually and then mixed (as it is with the SMR)
- Because of that (global feedback not per-channel feedback) Res EQ "breaks down" in more interesting ways than the SMR, when pushed, in my opinion. Never tried externally feeding the SMR back into itself, maybe it can do similar things in that configuration.

SMR has a lot of other secondary features and modes like envelope follower, quantizer, all sorts of ins and outs. Serge EQ does not.

Post Reply

Return to “Eurorack Modules”