mutable instruments clouds

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

ikkyu666
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ikkyu666 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:02 pm

question - if I install some alternative firmware, like the Kammerl, will i still be able to access the original clouds functionality? or is it replaced?

isi909
Common Wiggler

Post by isi909 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:18 pm

from the kammerl homepage

Note: The original three modes of the official firmware are still present and have been not modified(*). The forth "Spectral Processor" mode has been replaced with the "Spectal Clouds" effect. And this firmware adds a fifth mode to your Clouds module with enables new real-time beat and sound manipulation features.

ikkyu666
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ikkyu666 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:21 pm

Thanks! Missed that somehow.

risome
Wiggling with Experience

Post by risome » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:53 am

I recently re installed the original firmware on my Clouds after using parasites for a while to get back to some basic functions with the module as i seemed to be lost what mode i was in at times :miley:

Oscillator
Common Wiggler

Post by Oscillator » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:19 am

Hey guys,

Would appreciate some clarification/advice on the following.

I am about to plunge into the modular world. However, the module that really speaks to me and that I want to have in my first modular setup is Clouds, which has been discontinued.

I read people's reaction to this - "end of an era" and all kinds of sad faces. What exactly does discontinued mean? I will not be able to receive support for the unit, but I could just use it with the current firmware and enjoy, right? What am I losing/missing?

Also, any suggestions as to where I can order one? I live in Berlin and it is no longer available at Schneidersladen.

Thanks

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:38 am

Discontinued means that it’s no longer in production. So getting a new one might be an issue. Other than that, just go ahead! :)
Last edited by lisa on Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

donrock
Common Wiggler

Post by donrock » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:38 am

Oscillator wrote:
Also, any suggestions as to where I can order one? I live in Berlin and it is no longer available at Schneidersladen.

Thanks
Also check out the uClouds, DIY options for Clouds, or you could buy it second hand. There's also a new version in the works, or so we've heard from MI.

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:07 am

donrock wrote:There's also a new version in the works, or so we've heard from MI.
Not really. Olivier (of MI) specifically wrote that what he’s working on isn’t a Clouds II. So, no need to wait.
Last edited by lisa on Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

donrock
Common Wiggler

Post by donrock » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:34 am

Sure, I could have worded that differently, and I am aware of what Olivier wrote about his next module, but it will be a real-time granular processor, which is what Clouds is. I don't really care what we call it, new version, new granular processor, new sound mangle thingie, etc. I was just letting the person who asked about it know that Clouds being discontinued isn't the end of granular processing from MI.

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:56 am

donrock wrote:Sure, I could have worded that differently.
I don't want to offend in any way but I wouldn't say that it only has to do with wording. Of course you could have written that "Clouds is a realtime, granular sampler among other things and MI is working on a new realtime granular sampler. Olivier has specifically said that it's not a Clouds II and really we have no idea what it will be in any detail. You feel that Clouds really speak to you but you could consider not getting Clouds and instead wait for what MI will come up with, even though evidence suggest it will likely not be what you are looking for." But that would have been a rather different point, in my view.
My first modular track where I used drum modules! BIA, Entity Percussion, Chimera, Elements. There's also a ton of FM cross modulation from the Instruō Cš-L in there and the Metasonix R56 is a big part of the sound. :star:

We also just did a live performance. Just eurorack, a mixer and two nitwits. :hyper: http://tiny.cc/8ndspz

nectarios
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nectarios » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:08 am

Glad I have a Clouds and just going to keep it for "history's" sake.
uClouds is coming to me soon so I can have Kamerl on one and Parasites on the other.
I am also looking forward to see what the new granular processor/whatever module, Olivier is going to present next year.

donrock
Common Wiggler

Post by donrock » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:40 am

lisa wrote: I don't want to offend in any way
No offense taken :cloud:
I do love clouds, and probably will love whatever Olivier comes up with next. I've been thinking about getting the Rainmaker for a bit of variety, but all the videos sound cold and digital, so I'm guessing it's best to wait till next summer

circuitburst
Wiggling with Experience

Post by circuitburst » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:26 am

Oscillator wrote:Also, any suggestions as to where I can order one? I live in Berlin and it is no longer available at Schneidersladen.
Analogue Haven has it in stock and they are having a 10% off holiday sale. Click the Add to Cart button and the sale price is shown. Maybe the discount will offset shipping from California to Berlin.
http://www.analoguehaven.com/mutableinstruments/clouds/
"make the events occur that you want to occur" - the black dog

https://soundcloud.com/circuitburst
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/295055
:boat: World Map of Eurorack Module Manufacturers: https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewe ... 9IMDP34-ao
World Map of Eurorack Module Physical Shops: https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewe ... gfSeJ6wVIG

nectarios
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nectarios » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:48 am

donrock wrote:
lisa wrote: I don't want to offend in any way
No offense taken :cloud:
I do love clouds, and probably will love whatever Olivier comes up with next. I've been thinking about getting the Rainmaker for a bit of variety, but all the videos sound cold and digital, so I'm guessing it's best to wait till next summer
Funny you mention that, I started with Clouds, ended up getting a Mungo g0, then hated the workflow for real time procssing, tried Morphagene, liked it, but felt underwelmed with something that costs more than twice the cash of (u)Clouds, so ordered a uClouds, but in the meantime, sold DLD and Scooper and got a Rainmaker.

It is a digital delay and the pitch shifting it what I realised makes it sound "very digital". That was my initial impression as well. I have gotten used to it and generally found that if I don't open the filters of the taps too much and keep the top end from coming through, it sounds less "digital".

To be honest it has some brilliant and clean converters and the new firmware made the whole module sound smoother, less clicky and "steppy"...can't explain it really.

I only got the Rainmaker cause I moved from Logic to Ableton and I don't have Logic's Delay Designer (16 tap delay with editing of level, pan, transpose, cut-off, resonance, per tap...same as Rainmaker) in Ableton...and that was my favorite delay plug in.

spukhaft
Common Wiggler

Post by spukhaft » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:13 pm

Perfect Circuit still has them in stock.

donrock
Common Wiggler

Post by donrock » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:22 pm

nectarios wrote: Funny you mention that, I started with Clouds, ended up getting a Mungo g0, then hated the workflow for real time procssing, tried Morphagene, liked it, but felt underwelmed with something that costs more than twice the cash of (u)Clouds, so ordered a uClouds, but in the meantime, sold DLD and Scooper and got a Rainmaker.

It is a digital delay and the pitch shifting it what I realised makes it sound "very digital". That was my initial impression as well. I have gotten used to it and generally found that if I don't open the filters of the taps too much and keep the top end from coming through, it sounds less "digital".

To be honest it has some brilliant and clean converters and the new firmware made the whole module sound smoother, less clicky and "steppy"...can't explain it really.

I only got the Rainmaker cause I moved from Logic to Ableton and I don't have Logic's Delay Designer (16 tap delay with editing of level, pan, transpose, cut-off, resonance, per tap...same as Rainmaker) in Ableton...and that was my favorite delay plug in.
That's interesting, do you have any recordings of the results you describe? Or would you maybe try making one? I'd love to hear what you're talking about.

tebs213
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tebs213 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:29 pm

Just released a collaboration piece that makes heavy use of Clouds on vocals and flute. I always said I'd never buy this module because it was so overused, then I tried one and realized it's truly limitless in sound, just try different sound sources and let that inspire new ways of approaching the interface. I've never bothered with any other modes than the original, I could use that forever and still find new sonic words to get lost in. I will say that having a basic understanding of how granular synthesis works helped quite a bit. Anyway, this is "Will You Be Reduced," hope you enjoy!

Tiny Mix Tapes

Bandcamp

https://soundcloud.com/blacklodgeal/set ... -reduced-1

cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cptnal » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:35 pm

tebs213 wrote:Just released a collaboration piece that makes heavy use of Clouds on vocals and flute. I always said I'd never buy this module because it was so overused, then I tried one and realized it's truly limitless in sound, just try different sound sources and let that inspire new ways of approaching the interface. I've never bothered with any other modes than the original, I could use that forever and still find new sonic words to get lost in. I will say that having a basic understanding of how granular synthesis works helped quite a bit. Anyway, this is "Will You Be Reduced," hope you enjoy!

Tiny Mix Tapes

Bandcamp

Me like! That bass is an inspired juxtaposition. :yay:

jburzy
Common Wiggler

Post by jburzy » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:54 pm

Recorded a bit of a patch using clouds parasites. Best addition IMO is reverse granular playback, it sounds amazing with rings!

tebs213
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tebs213 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:32 pm

cptnal wrote:
tebs213 wrote:Just released a collaboration piece that makes heavy use of Clouds on vocals and flute. I always said I'd never buy this module because it was so overused, then I tried one and realized it's truly limitless in sound, just try different sound sources and let that inspire new ways of approaching the interface. I've never bothered with any other modes than the original, I could use that forever and still find new sonic words to get lost in. I will say that having a basic understanding of how granular synthesis works helped quite a bit. Anyway, this is "Will You Be Reduced," hope you enjoy!

Tiny Mix Tapes

Bandcamp

Me like! That bass is an inspired juxtaposition. :yay:
Hell yeah glad you dig it! That’s my trust SSF Entity Bass drum, it’s in pretty much every patch I do at this point.

djd_oz
Wiggling with Experience

Post by djd_oz » Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:18 am

https://soundcloud.com/djd_oz/terra-clouds

E350 (Fbk Echophon) -> Aperture -> Clouds -> Analog Heat

Doublecoolbossman
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Doublecoolbossman » Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:16 am

Just got my uBurst to replace my standard clouds. Feeding some samples from w/. Super fun combo.
[video][/video]

cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cptnal » Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:12 pm

Doublecoolbossman wrote:Just got my uBurst to replace my standard clouds. Feeding some samples from w/. Super fun combo.
[video][/video]
Nice! Did you let it out the cage especially to do that?

Sure hope Olivier fixes my Clouds soon. Shouldn't be too long - I don't think he's got much on right now. :mrgreen:

Doublecoolbossman
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Doublecoolbossman » Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:32 pm

Hah! Thanks. Yeah i only lock it up when it's been bad. :spank: :spank: :spank: :spank: :spank: :spank: :spank:

djd_oz
Wiggling with Experience

Post by djd_oz » Wed May 23, 2018 7:53 am

https://soundcloud.com/djd_oz/so-random

Still finding some new sounds using clouds, patch notes below.

DPO -> PDO -> Chronoblob -> Clouds

Return to “Eurorack Modules”