mutable instruments clouds

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

charonme
Wiggling with Experience

Post by charonme » Fri May 25, 2018 3:48 am

djd_oz wrote:DPO -> PDO -> Chronoblob -> Clouds
wow impressive, which clouds mode is that?
spotify, bandcamp
Heptaphasis - DIY 3HP 7-phase quadrature sine LFO

djd_oz
Wiggling with Experience

Post by djd_oz » Fri May 25, 2018 7:46 am

Just the default granular mode.

synkrotron
Ultra Wiggler

Post by synkrotron » Wed May 30, 2018 5:25 pm

Love this module, from what I have seen and heard on the interwebs.

Discontinued, though... Most disappointing... Ah well...

Is there anything else out there that comes close to what Clouds does?

baleen
Common Wiggler

Post by baleen » Wed May 30, 2018 8:11 pm

id be shocked if you couldn’t find a clouds to purchase somewhere

synkrotron
Ultra Wiggler

Post by synkrotron » Thu May 31, 2018 2:32 am

baleen wrote:id be shocked if you couldn’t find a clouds to purchase somewhere
Googling mutable instruments clouds shows mainly news about it being discontinued. I have tried a number of online shops that sell it but all show as out of stock.

My only hope now is that MI build a successor in the near future...

bengersfood
Wiggling with Experience

Post by bengersfood » Thu May 31, 2018 3:18 am

synkrotron wrote:
baleen wrote:id be shocked if you couldn’t find a clouds to purchase somewhere
Googling mutable instruments clouds shows mainly news about it being discontinued. I have tried a number of online shops that sell it but all show as out of stock.

My only hope now is that MI build a successor in the near future...
Several things:

1. you will likely find Clouds second hand if you keep looking

2. MI are building a succcessor of some kind. Planned to be out befor the end of the year

3. The code and schematics for Clouds are open source. As a result there are 3rd partly builds to purchase if you look around. Many are “micro” versions, But at least one planned version is a”maxi/extended” one.

4. There are also ports of the code to other platforms (see VCV for a start)

5. There are a few granular FX pedals that explore similar territory

synkrotron
Ultra Wiggler

Post by synkrotron » Thu May 31, 2018 1:43 pm

Hi bengersfood :)
bengersfood wrote: 1. you will likely find Clouds second hand if you keep looking
Just a personal thing, but I would rather not go down the second hand route. I never had, and, of course, I pay for that.
bengersfood wrote: 2. MI are building a successor of some kind. Planned to be out before the end of the year
This is what I am pinning my hopes on.
bengersfood wrote: 3. The code and schematics for Clouds are open source. As a result there are 3rd partly builds to purchase if you look around. Many are “micro” versions, But at least one planned version is a”maxi/extended” one.
This sounds interesting. I am a bit worried about perceived quality issues, though, and unless there was some kind of guarantee attached, how ever limited, I probably wouldn't bother.
bengersfood wrote: 4. There are also ports of the code to other platforms (see VCV for a start)
I am not interested in other platforms. That said, I am not entirely sure what you mean by that. I am familiar with VCV, which I thought was software based, on a computer. I have a load of VST I could use already, like MGranularMB and Adaptiverb, but I am trying to keep "hardware" based as much as possible while I am on my Modular Trip.
bengersfood wrote: 5. There are a few granular FX pedals that explore similar territory
I've had a brief look into Granular FX pedals and I'm not that taken with what they do. Plus, I don't think they can be automated/modulated via CV.

Thanks, and cheers,

andy

bengersfood
Wiggling with Experience

Post by bengersfood » Thu May 31, 2018 2:18 pm

Hi Andy
synkrotron wrote:
bengersfood wrote: 4. There are also ports of the code to other platforms (see VCV for a start)
I am not interested in other platforms. That said, I am not entirely sure what you mean by that.
What I was indirectly referring to was that several MI modules have been ported to Pd, as a result, I now have versions of Clouds, Elements, Rings and Braids, both physically in my rack but also available on the Critter and Guitari Organelle that I use. No great modulation options available there, but the Pd code base means that other interesting open source projects may be getting going with versions of the code. Worth keeping an eye on.

Lastly, in the realm of things a bit like pedals, there are some astonishing and very tactile and “wiggle-friendly” granular apps for the iPad. If you own an iPad and you like the idea of “playing” granular processes, you owe it to yourself to reasearch that a bit.

Best Ben

synkrotron
Ultra Wiggler

Post by synkrotron » Thu May 31, 2018 3:42 pm

bengersfood wrote: What I was indirectly referring to was that several MI modules have been ported to Pd, as a result, I now have versions of Clouds, Elements, Rings and Braids, both physically in my rack but also available on the Critter and Guitari Organelle that I use. No great modulation options available there, but the Pd code base means that other interesting open source projects may be getting going with versions of the code. Worth keeping an eye on.

Lastly, in the realm of things a bit like pedals, there are some astonishing and very tactile and “wiggle-friendly” granular apps for the iPad. If you own an iPad and you like the idea of “playing” granular processes, you owe it to yourself to reasearch that a bit.

Best Ben
Wow! Thanks again, Ben.

Not even heard of a Critter and Guitari Organelle... Just googled it and I'm watching the video now... A whole other world that I was unaware of! Fascinating...

Don't have an iPad... Only apple device I have is an iPod nano and I rarely use that anymore. Perhaps I need to address that...

Back to the Organelle thing. I don't know the first thing about coding for this sort of thing so I'd have to rely on stuff that comes pre-done, if you know what I mean.

Cheers, and thanks again,

andy

drewfx1
Common Wiggler

Post by drewfx1 » Thu May 31, 2018 4:25 pm

Hey Andy,

It depends on what you want - if it's the base Clouds granular algorithm you are interested in, Olivier's forthcoming new version is likely to be similar. Just look at the threads that discuss it here or on the MI forum:

https://forum.mutable-instruments.net/

But the alternative algorithms are something Olivier has decided not to do anymore, so if you want the spectral madness, you'll likely have to look at getting Clouds in some form or look elsewhere.

There's also another interesting (and soon to be real) project that supports Pd, but I don't know if it will handle running MI algorithms:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ma ... escription

https://www.rebeltech.org/product/magus/

They already make an earlier generation known as the OWL (both pedal and euro):

https://www.rebeltech.org/product/owl-modular/

And the OWL patch library even has a cool web site that actually lets you play around with the patches yourself on line. There's a few granular ones there:

https://www.rebeltech.org/patch-library/patches

I put in for a Wizard on KS, so maybe I'll try to play around with trying to run some MI stuff on it when the time comes.

steveoath
Common Wiggler

Post by steveoath » Thu May 31, 2018 4:47 pm

Don't forget that uClouds was worked on by the instruo guys.

https://uclouds.site123.me

Roy72
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Roy72 » Thu May 31, 2018 5:25 pm

There is a possibility that some of the alternate modes of Clouds will be available through the panel, based on the post below by Olivier from the MI forum, my expectation is that like Plaits, it will have a column of buttons to select a range of processing modes. Of course, I could be completely wrong.

The Braids->Plaits transformation is already giving some good hints: higher audio quality (better hardware, smarter DSP algorithms), less mA/HP/€, very few button combos or navigation required, additional dimensions of control or settings going further or sounding better when they go further, removal of features that can be easily delegated to external modules or that are off-topic, a variety of behaviours or internal modulations that are intelligently chosen depending on what is patched and what is left unpatched…

Things that are not going to happen: SD-card/sampler-like behaviour (there are already tons of modules doing that… while the CPU/memory bandwidth-heavy mangling of a live audio stream is still rare), hours long buffers (hey, it has to be “scrubbable” with the POSITION knob!), and a UI-only upgrade like the Supercell (just like for Plaits, I’m rewriting everything from scratch and the code is so flexible and pretty now that it can be made to do new interesting things).

pichenettes
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pichenettes » Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:22 am

a range of processing modes
No.

nectarios
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nectarios » Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:35 am

synkrotron wrote:Love this module, from what I have seen and heard on the interwebs.

Discontinued, though... Most disappointing... Ah well...

Is there anything else out there that comes close to what Clouds does?
There is a DIY 8hp version in a few available panels that goes by the name uClouds/uBurst.

If you don't want to DIY it your self there are people who will build you a brand spanking new one that plays just like the factory version.

I have a factory version with Kammerl firmware and panel and a uClouds with Parasites as there are many useful modes between those two firmwares.

I am looking forward to the new granular MI module, even if its only one type of processing it will do, as it will simply free up my other two Clouds to do other types of processing.

synkrotron
Ultra Wiggler

Post by synkrotron » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:52 am

Hiya Drew :)
drewfx1 wrote:Hey Andy,

It depends on what you want - if it's the base Clouds granular algorithm you are interested in, Olivier's forthcoming new version is likely to be similar.
I honestly don't know what I want... I think I would be happy with the original, as that is what I have seen most on YouTube from the likes of Mylar Melodies and DivKid, and I can only assume that they are the original algorithms.

I've just signed up at MI, which I should have done earlier, having both Warps and now Elements in the system. I'll have a poke around there...
drewfx1 wrote:There's also another interesting (and soon to be real) project that supports Pd, but I don't know if it will handle running MI algorithms:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ma ... escription

https://www.rebeltech.org/product/magus/
I'll have a look into that.
drewfx1 wrote: They already make an earlier generation known as the OWL (both pedal and euro):

https://www.rebeltech.org/product/owl-modular/

And the OWL patch library even has a cool web site that actually lets you play around with the patches yourself on line. There's a few granular ones there:

https://www.rebeltech.org/patch-library/patches
So much to take in!!

Thanks Drew :)

synkrotron
Ultra Wiggler

Post by synkrotron » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:57 am

steveoath wrote:Don't forget that uClouds was worked on by the instruo guys.

https://uclouds.site123.me
Now... That is most interesting :mrgreen:

Thanks for the link :)

steveoath
Common Wiggler

Post by steveoath » Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:03 pm

The interface is really nice too. If i only had the space ....... :waah:

Roy72
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Roy72 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:10 pm

pichenettes wrote:
a range of processing modes
No.
Well, that's disappointing but good to know. I use the Clouds delay all the time, but I guess I'll wait and see what eventuates, the new modules have all been distinct and interesting.

pichenettes
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pichenettes » Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:49 am

It'll still be possible to do most of the things Clouds did. Except for the spectral processing stuff which was really off-topic.

circuitburst
Wiggling with Experience

Post by circuitburst » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:52 am

Here is an interesting interview that just came out. Highly recommended listen. Among other things, Olivier discusses Clouds. He shares his thoughts on alternative firmware and using Clouds with random sources and Ears.

Why We Bleep Podcast 005: Olivier Gillet - Mutable Instruments

p.s. Thanks Olivier for taking the time to do this interview!
Last edited by circuitburst on Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"make the events occur that you want to occur" - the black dog

https://soundcloud.com/circuitburst
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/295055
:boat: World Map of Eurorack Module Manufacturers: https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewe ... 9IMDP34-ao
World Map of Eurorack Module Physical Shops: https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewe ... gfSeJ6wVIG

Oscillator
Common Wiggler

Post by Oscillator » Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:00 pm

Olivier has confirmed that the new buffer will be bigger/provide longer times.

I was wondering how justified would it be to have a big knob (like Warps/Frames) for Position. It would probably require more HP, but, if the new buffer really allows for some good amounts of time, it would make scrubbing much, much better (of course, depending on the audio inside...)

Was just playing with Clouds and the these thoughts came to my mind.

bengersfood
Wiggling with Experience

Post by bengersfood » Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:27 pm

synkrotron wrote:So much to take in!!
Just noted that one of the most active patch builders on the Organelle platform said on the C&G forum that he's starting to do some PureData coding for the Qu-Bit Nebulae.

The stock firmware for the Nebulae already goes into Clouds type territory sometimes so it might be a module/platform worth keeping an eye on....

nectarios
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nectarios » Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:43 am

pichenettes wrote:It'll still be possible to do most of the things Clouds did. Except for the spectral processing stuff which was really off-topic.
Here's to hoping then. Parasites Looping Delay is one of my favorite things.
I bought a uClouds just so that I can have that in my live case.

synkrotron
Ultra Wiggler

Post by synkrotron » Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:24 am

bengersfood wrote: Just noted that one of the most active patch builders on the Organelle platform said on the C&G forum that he's starting to do some PureData coding for the Qu-Bit Nebulae.

The stock firmware for the Nebulae already goes into Clouds type territory sometimes so it might be a module/platform worth keeping an eye on....
Thanks again, Ben, you are being most helpful with respect to granular stuff here.

I also just watched White Noise's video on the subject and he is using both Nebulae and Clouds together:-

[video][/video]

One thing I know for sure, now, is that this is a direction I want to take, in terms of sound design, that is, sweet wishy washy drones with other stuff playing over the top.

cheers

and thanks again,

andy

reodjectz
Veteran Wiggler

Post by reodjectz » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:37 am

nectarios wrote:
pichenettes wrote:It'll still be possible to do most of the things Clouds did. Except for the spectral processing stuff which was really off-topic.
Here's to hoping then. Parasites Looping Delay is one of my favorite things.
I bought a uClouds just so that I can have that in my live case.
Is this the same looping delay that is in the Kammerl Beat repeat mode? I can't find docs for that mode (unless it is the same as the parasites one).

Return to “Eurorack Modules”