mutable instruments clouds

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

nectarios
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nectarios » Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:11 pm

reodjectz wrote:
nectarios wrote:
pichenettes wrote:It'll still be possible to do most of the things Clouds did. Except for the spectral processing stuff which was really off-topic.
Here's to hoping then. Parasites Looping Delay is one of my favorite things.
I bought a uClouds just so that I can have that in my live case.
Is this the same looping delay that is in the Kammerl Beat repeat mode? I can't find docs for that mode (unless it is the same as the parasites one).
Nope, Kammerl has the factory Looping Delay mode.

chisel316
Common Wiggler

Post by chisel316 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:45 pm

Does anyone have a patch for producing these "Paulstretch-like drones" in the Spectral Madness mode?

Thanks,
chisel316

djd_oz
Wiggling with Experience

Post by djd_oz » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:49 pm

Most of the goodness from this comes from Clouds :sb:

https://soundcloud.com/djd_oz/wtbl-vco-1

Erica Synth Wavetable VCO -> Morphagene -> Clouds -> Lofi Junky -> Wasp Filter -> Erbe Verb

Feedback Loop: Clouds -> Fusion Delay -> Lofi Junky

djd_oz
Wiggling with Experience

Post by djd_oz » Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:08 am

https://soundcloud.com/djd_oz/ringmod-2-no-drums

This is my second experiment with the Fusion Ring Mod running it through MI Clouds in (Pitch/Time strech mode)

DPO (cross linear FM) -> Fusion Ring Mod (Sine wave one octave higher) -> Tallin -> Fusion Delay -> Lofi Junky -> Clouds (Pitch/Time Shifter Mode)

Carrousel
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Carrousel » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:03 am

A great use for Clouds:

If you're struggling to write a decent riff or motif, just loop a really simple 3-4 note 'attempt' at a riff (preferably using the main notes of the scale yore in) and feed it into Clouds. Put Clouds to work by feeding it lots of carefully attenuated random signals; particularly into 'position' and 'texture', but they can all work well.

You'll get endlessly changing glitched out variations on your simple theme. Usually much more interesting than anything that you'd 'write' in a conventional sense. Might not work for everything but it's absolutely belter for techno and the like.

In this recording you can hear the simple motif sound off twice from 3 seconds in, then I just let Clouds take over. Really drives the track nicely I think:

http://soundcloud.com/carrousel_uk/chance
Formerly 'Raven_Martin' on Muffwiggler

'And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music'

https://soundcloud.com/carrousel_uk

nectarios
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nectarios » Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:02 pm

Raven_Martin wrote:Might not work for everything but it's absolutely belter for techno and the like.
Yes, this is the Toppobillo Multifilter the source, going into Clouds where extra notes are generated and very gently, mixed in and out.

[video][/video]

Carrousel
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Carrousel » Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:12 pm

nectarios wrote:
Raven_Martin wrote:Might not work for everything but it's absolutely belter for techno and the like.
Yes, this is the Toppobillo Multifilter the source, going into Clouds where extra notes are generated and very gently, mixed in and out.

[video][/video]
Yeah that's real nice! Are you using the multi filter as a sine osc, then into clouds?

'And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music'

nectarios
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nectarios » Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:52 am

Raven_Martin wrote:
nectarios wrote:

[video][/video]
Yeah that's real nice! Are you using the multi filter as a sine osc, then into clouds?
Yes, its an iteration of this patch.

[video][/video]

djd_oz
Wiggling with Experience

Post by djd_oz » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:19 am

https://soundcloud.com/djd_oz/pdo-2

WMD PDO being phase displaced by Rings in 2 OP FM Mode and into the Echophon and ErbeVerb. The output of the PDO is also fed into Clouds to FSU.

uO_C in Low Rents Mode
uRings in 2 OP FM Mode
uClouds in Granular Mode

Full Patch Notes, https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/patches ... _44158.jpg

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:38 am

djd_oz: I already said so on Soundcloud but I'll say it again. Very cool sound you got going there. Could be used as the lead line in one heck of a track! :party:
My first modular track where I used drum modules! BIA, Entity Percussion, Chimera, Elements. There's also a ton of FM cross modulation from the Instruō Cš-L in there and the Metasonix R56 is a big part of the sound. :star:

We also just did a live performance. Just eurorack, a mixer and two nitwits. :hyper: http://tiny.cc/8ndspz

djd_oz
Wiggling with Experience

Post by djd_oz » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:12 am

Many thanks Lisa, my whole intent with going modular is to create as many weird and cool sounds as possible 8-)

Gringo Starr
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Gringo Starr » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:00 pm

Hello everyone. I have a quick question. From what I see mutable instruments clouds made from the company themselves had face plates that were more on the silver side and then more on the creamy white side. Are these different generations? Is one older than the other?
Weed only gives you the illusion that it’s enhancing your creativity.

pichenettes
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pichenettes » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:14 pm

Gringo Starr wrote:Hello everyone. I have a quick question. From what I see mutable instruments clouds made from the company themselves had face plates that were more on the silver side and then more on the creamy white side. Are these different generations? Is one older than the other?
No, all the Mutable Instruments panels are silver.

Creamy = DIY.

carter
Learning to Wiggle

Post by carter » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:12 pm

nectarios wrote:

[video][/video]
Man, I like that a whole lot - wow!

windspirit
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by windspirit » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:46 pm

Also really digging the sounds nektarios, I listen to that youtube channel quite a bit its always nice to see how people make these tracks.

felixer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by felixer » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:41 pm

been using the clouds on new tracks for bassnoise. mainly as a shuffler to offset some of the boring techno drums this dj-type guy brought in ... very good for that.
don't need midi, don't need keys, just want knobs and cables (all together now ;-)

base615
Common Wiggler

Post by base615 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:33 am

Hi guys, Hope someone here can help.

I purchased a DIY Clouds from someone on Modulargrid late last year. I’ve read everything I can find on this thing, watched every tutorial, tried calibrating it numerous time, bought a multimeter to help with that but can’t get it to work after months of trying and it’s driving me crazy.

Let’s say I sample some voice audio into the buffer, when I adjust the density, I kind of get grains but it’s like a ghost sound about 4 or 5 octaves lower than the audio. Same for just putting a VCO in. When I blend, the buffered audio sounds like an LFO just touching audio rate. Completely different to what I hear on every tutorial, demo etc on Youtube. I’ve tried every setting I can.

Any idea what it is I may be doing wrong? Any help would be really appreciated. The only thing that seems to work fine is the reverb blend mode.

It’s the first DIY MI module I’ve ever bought, all my other MI modules are MI versions but I can’t get Clouds anymore of course. Given it’s DIY, I’m expecting a “No idea, ask the guy who sold it to you” but I’m just wondering if anyone’s had a similar issue in the past.

Cheers.

Trebbers
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Trebbers » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:16 am

Is it possible you're not in the regular granular mode?

cityz3n
Common Wiggler

Post by cityz3n » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:52 am

I had the same thing happening with mine.
Low ghostlike sounds. Knobs not doing what they should.
Had to calibrate it. Then it was fine.
I used a Data Mordax and Pressure Points to tune in the correct voltage.

Good luck!

base615 wrote:Hi guys, Hope someone here can help.

I purchased a DIY Clouds from someone on Modulargrid late last year. I’ve read everything I can find on this thing, watched every tutorial, tried calibrating it numerous time, bought a multimeter to help with that but can’t get it to work after months of trying and it’s driving me crazy.

Let’s say I sample some voice audio into the buffer, when I adjust the density, I kind of get grains but it’s like a ghost sound about 4 or 5 octaves lower than the audio. Same for just putting a VCO in. When I blend, the buffered audio sounds like an LFO just touching audio rate. Completely different to what I hear on every tutorial, demo etc on Youtube. I’ve tried every setting I can.

Any idea what it is I may be doing wrong? Any help would be really appreciated. The only thing that seems to work fine is the reverb blend mode.

It’s the first DIY MI module I’ve ever bought, all my other MI modules are MI versions but I can’t get Clouds anymore of course. Given it’s DIY, I’m expecting a “No idea, ask the guy who sold it to you” but I’m just wondering if anyone’s had a similar issue in the past.

Cheers.
"C’est l’histoire d’un homme qui tombe d’un immeuble de cinquante étages. Le mec, au fur et à mesure de sa chute il se répète sans cesse pour se rassurer : jusqu’ici tout va bien, jusqu’ici tout va bien, jusqu’ici tout va bien.
Mais l'important n’est pas la chute, c’est l’atterrissage."

base615
Common Wiggler

Post by base615 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:05 am

cityz3n wrote:I had the same thing happening with mine.

Good luck!
Yeah, that's what I thought but, unless I'm doing something fundamentally wrong with the calibration, I get the same outcome every time.

In terms of calibration, I've attached a cable to channel 1 on Shades, used the multimeter to dial in 1v, moved the cable to channel 2 and dialled in 3v. I've then done the calibration playing the notes by plugging into channel 1 and then 3. The process seems to work fine. I've also tried doing it by sending C2 and C4 notes out of my Squarp Pyramid with the same result.

base615
Common Wiggler

Post by base615 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:11 am

Trebbers wrote:Is it possible you're not in the regular granular mode?
Just checked and I believe so. I pressed the blend mode button for 5 seconds and made sure only the first LED was lit.

base615
Common Wiggler

Post by base615 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:58 am

As if by magic, I got this bastard working a bit better! It's literally taken me 2 months and 1 day after posting for help I've cracked it.

I think it was calibration after all. Using my Shades method before I was struggling to get it exactly on 1v and it was going between 1v and 1.01v on the multimeter. 3v was exact.

I figured that would be close enough but I finally managed to get it bang on 1v with no fluctuation and tried calibrating it's worked on the more than 200th attempt (seriously). It's clearly that sensitive.

1v/oct goes from nothing to everything with nothing in between so that's my next reading material but I think I'm 90% of the way there.

deke
Wiggling with Experience

Post by deke » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:19 am

cityz3n wrote:I had the same thing happening with mine.

Good luck!

base615 wrote:Hi guys, Hope someone here can help.

Cheers.
Wow, I am glad I read this, but a bit embarrassed. I also bought a Clouds on Reverb a little while ago and I just wasn't getting it. What is all the hype? Today I calibrated it... Everything is different.

Carrousel
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Carrousel » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:08 pm

Image[/img]

deke
Wiggling with Experience

Post by deke » Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:13 pm

Carrousel wrote:Image[/img]
It hurts having a meme directly apply to me, but it is true!

Return to “Eurorack Modules”