mutable instruments clouds

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

bodydouble
Common Wiggler

Post by bodydouble » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:44 pm

Speaking of v/oct, has anyone ever talked about writing a version that quantizes the pitch of the output? Now that I'm thinking about it, would that be possible?

Using a uBurst, I find it pretty tricky to dial in octaves, 5ths, etc and I often wish it would be easier...On a related note, I always feel like the max setting (2 octaves up) sounds pretty dodgy and wish it peaked at 1 octave up.

alexam
Learning to Wiggle

Post by alexam » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:57 pm

Hi,
so I have got everything I need to build a clouds and a plaits, but I don't know right which programmer suits the best to for plaits(swd) and clouds(jtag) ... a discovery board? And what about the programming process, i am on Mac and I am wondering if I can upload the firmware, which I already build in the dev environment with the discovery board or do I need a seperate program to go with? I am a bit confused and I don't want to risk, bricking the modules ..

thanks in advance :)

linjirinzai
Learning to Wiggle

Post by linjirinzai » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:38 pm

is the general consensus that getting a DIY clouds off of ebay (so long as the seller has good feedback) is a safe bet/funcational alternative to the original?

pre post eros
Common Wiggler

Post by pre post eros » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:12 am

linjirinzai wrote:is the general consensus that getting a DIY clouds off of ebay (so long as the seller has good feedback) is a safe bet/funcational alternative to the original?
I haven't owned a factory clouds, so I can't speak to a direct comparison, but a DIY version that I purchased (with Parasites) at a reasonable price, from a competent and helpful builder via Reverb (After Later Audio), functions well, as expected. The only issue is a mild tactile one - the input gain knob feels a bit more wobbly than the others. That said, the pot for that control is a different component than the rest, with a plastic shaft that isn't secured to the front panel (see image), so perhaps this difference is also present on factory-issued models. Not a gripe, just a minor point. I'm sure those with a factory models can weigh in on this point as well. Sound-wise it does what the youtubes suggest clouds can (should?) do.

pichenettes
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pichenettes » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:28 pm

The gain control requires a stereo pot.

MOQ for a part with a similar feel than the other pots was 2000 pcs. Seemed too high... So the first 500 unit used a plastic pot, like on this photo. When I saw that the demand did not decrease, I took the plunge and ordered the better part. It's still quite fiddly (I must have replaced 50 of them already...)

pre post eros
Common Wiggler

Post by pre post eros » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:13 pm

Merci pour les infos! 8-)

dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dooj88 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:25 am

bodydouble wrote:Speaking of v/oct, has anyone ever talked about writing a version that quantizes the pitch of the output? Now that I'm thinking about it, would that be possible?

Using a uBurst, I find it pretty tricky to dial in octaves, 5ths, etc and I often wish it would be easier...On a related note, I always feel like the max setting (2 octaves up) sounds pretty dodgy and wish it peaked at 1 octave up.
Emilie posted a wav file that did this on the mutable forum a while back, i vaguely remember saving it, but i didn't upload it to clouds. you may have luck finding it if you search there.

madtextureenvy
Learning to Wiggle

Issue with feedback parameter

Post by madtextureenvy » Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:20 pm

Hello, everyone:

Please excuse the extreme necro-bump, I was late to the Clouds table.

I have not posted to the MW forum very much, but I am having an issue with a clouds module that I built (I have built two before, with no problems), that I am unable to resolve on my own.

I am getting absolutely no response from the blend knob when the parameter is set to Feedback. Like, nothing whatsoever.

Any guidance or prodding would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Granular
Common Wiggler

Post by Granular » Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:30 am

Quick Parasites Question

I've heard that the Parasites Software does some changes to the Original Firmware when I switch to it.

But what are theses changes?

cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cptnal » Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:51 am

Granular wrote:Quick Parasites Question

I've heard that the Parasites Software does some changes to the Original Firmware when I switch to it.

It moves the reverb in the signal chain so that it affects the dry signal as well. I think. :hmm:

It's documented on the Parasite web page anyway.

Full disclosure: I haven't had my coffee yet. :ripbanana:

Catflap
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Catflap » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:24 am

Gotta say, I've had Clouds for years and it constantly surprises me. I have been so close to selling it on many occasions (mainly due to HP and GAS) but when I put the effort into modulating it correctly the results are so rewarding.

steviet
Common Wiggler

Re: Issue with feedback parameter

Post by steviet » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:19 am

madtextureenvy wrote:Hello, everyone:

Please excuse the extreme necro-bump, I was late to the Clouds table.

I have not posted to the MW forum very much, but I am having an issue with a clouds module that I built (I have built two before, with no problems), that I am unable to resolve on my own.

I am getting absolutely no response from the blend knob when the parameter is set to Feedback. Like, nothing whatsoever.

Any guidance or prodding would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.
Post this in the DIY Forum, there is a "unsuccessful mutable DIY builds" thread that will be better suited to this question.

JES
Veteran Wiggler

Post by JES » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:26 am

cptnal wrote:
Granular wrote:Quick Parasites Question

It moves the reverb in the signal chain so that it affects the dry signal as well. I think. :hmm:

It's documented on the Parasite web page anyway.

Full disclosure: I haven't had my coffee yet. :ripbanana:
This is correct, which makes it very useful when it’s not granulating.
"Now, I'm off to hook my cat's litterbox up to an envelope follower." --Aragorn23

OHEXOH
Common Wiggler

Post by OHEXOH » Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:26 am

How many other modules are as timeless and essential as Clouds? I can possibly only think of Maths... any others?
Gear for sale (Reverb): https://bit.ly/2Sb90oc

Bignorthumbrian
Common Wiggler

Post by Bignorthumbrian » Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:40 pm

OHEXOH wrote:How many other modules are as timeless and essential as Clouds? I can possibly only think of Maths... any others?
I’ve just sold my Maths to buy a second hand Clouds, as I wasn’t really using Maths to its full potential. So far, Clouds has blown me away and I haven’t even started modulating it or tried Parasites yet
here hare here!

Jason Brock
just visiting

Post by Jason Brock » Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:53 pm

[video][/video]

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:18 pm

OHEXOH wrote:How many other modules are as timeless and essential as Clouds? I can possibly only think of Maths... any others?
The "Natural Gate" is definitly one in my book.

anything else i could list might be just halfways........

never felt the need to have a Math ! never PM´d :lol:
For sale / reduced prices ( swiss (we are NON-EU)/ in case it makes sense_ EU/WW)(CHF +- = $):
lowered prices: Dotcom Q960: 650.- / Q119: 420 / ( i also have one or much likely two 19" Frames)
ATV A-Frame incl. Accu and Bag: 830.-, like new, quasi unused.

cavidim
Common Wiggler

Post by cavidim » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:08 am

+1 for this

circuitburst
Wiggling with Experience

Post by circuitburst » Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:11 pm

Yeah, Clouds is definitely timeless. I'm not sure I agree with essential, but it is always amazing, fun, and surprising. Btw, here's a couple Top 100 lists, one by ratings ("Top") and the other by how many are in racks ("Popular"). Note the top two in the Popular list are Maths and Clouds.
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/modules/evaluationlists
"make the events occur that you want to occur" - the black dog

https://soundcloud.com/circuitburst
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/295055
:boat: World Map of Eurorack Module Manufacturers: https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewe ... 9IMDP34-ao
World Map of Eurorack Module Physical Shops: https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewe ... gfSeJ6wVIG

vqlk
Wiggling with Experience

Post by vqlk » Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:29 pm

i did not like clouds when i watched the video, felt it lacked punch. however, i just purchased one and wiggling the thing, naively, is a tonne of fun.

i have two questions
does anyone run their entire -- noise -- whatever that means -- mix through the clouds? what do you think of it in those terms, is it bit too obvious, etc,?

https://soundcloud.com/noise_tests/clouds-test

i ran one channel through some DM distortions here, also... have no problem with signature sounds.

who uses clouds with a bit crusher: before / after?
i could do what you are doing with like... two modules

Funch

Post by Funch » Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:51 pm

vqlk wrote:
i have two questions
does anyone run their entire -- noise -- whatever that means -- mix through the clouds? what do you think of it in those terms, is it bit too obvious, etc,?
right now I only use clouds with a thunder patch input from the mother 32. I was having trouble getting the crack before the low rumble. By running the patch audio through clouds and modulating the v/Oct input, that crack sound is now present.

While that thunder is droning from either a m32 sequencer pattern or from the midi triggered note I'm playing, I play other synths and or guitar over that and not through clouds.

vqlk
Wiggling with Experience

Post by vqlk » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:24 am

Funch wrote:
vqlk wrote:
i have two questions
right now I only use clouds with a thunder patch input from the mother 32. I was having trouble getting the crack before the low rumble. By running the patch audio through clouds and modulating the v/Oct input, that crack sound is now present.

While that thunder is droning from either a m32 sequencer pattern or from the midi triggered note I'm playing, I play other synths and or guitar over that and not through clouds.
interesting / nice to read, thanks.

i would be looking NOT to play anything over the clouds, if that makes sense, whatever else is used on-top.
i could do what you are doing with like... two modules

benofbrown
Common Wiggler

Post by benofbrown » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:53 am

vqlk wrote: does anyone run their entire -- noise -- whatever that means -- mix through the clouds? what do you think of it in those terms, is it bit too obvious, etc,?
That's what I do, if only to add a bit of reverb. I'm using Monsoon rather than Clouds but it's the same thing really.

Too obvious? I don't know, I'm still a noob. I find it fun, which is why I got in to this in the first place :)

tigersi
Learning to Wiggle

Re:

Post by tigersi » Sat May 16, 2020 2:13 pm

nectarios wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:52 am
Raven_Martin wrote:
nectarios wrote:
Raven_Martin wrote:Might not work for everything but it's absolutely belter for techno and the like.
Yes, this is the Toppobillo Multifilter the source, going into Clouds where extra notes are generated and very gently, mixed in and out.

[video][/video]
Yeah that's real nice! Are you using the multi filter as a sine osc, then into clouds?
Yes, its an iteration of this patch.

[video][/video]
I'm very late to the party but this is a great patch :yay:
Education is the kindling of a flame, not the filling of a vessel

nectarios
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Re:

Post by nectarios » Mon May 18, 2020 2:06 am

tigersi wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 2:13 pm
nectarios wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:52 am
Raven_Martin wrote:
nectarios wrote:
Raven_Martin wrote:Might not work for everything but it's absolutely belter for techno and the like.
Yes, this is the Toppobillo Multifilter the source, going into Clouds where extra notes are generated and very gently, mixed in and out.

[video][/video]
Yeah that's real nice! Are you using the multi filter as a sine osc, then into clouds?
Yes, its an iteration of this patch.

[video][/video]
I'm very late to the party but this is a great patch :yay:
Thank you!

Return to “Eurorack Modules”