Nano Rand is now available!

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

atari5200
Wiggling with Experience

Post by atari5200 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:58 pm

Cool- thanks for the response. How much overlap do you find between the 2 modules? At 4HP it's a no-brainer as far as space goes, but I'd like to make sure it's not just covering the same ground that the URA can do.
The "musical" gates feature is the most attractive thing about it for me, since the URA doesn't really do that (or if it does than I'm doing something wrong!) and I have to tie up a logic module to get quantized random gates.

Phoobooz
Common Wiggler

Post by Phoobooz » Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:30 pm

Looks fun! :cloud:

Liquidyzer
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Liquidyzer » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:52 am

atari5200 wrote:Cool- thanks for the response. How much overlap do you find between the 2 modules? At 4HP it's a no-brainer as far as space goes, but I'd like to make sure it's not just covering the same ground that the URA can do.
The "musical" gates feature is the most attractive thing about it for me, since the URA doesn't really do that (or if it does than I'm doing something wrong!) and I have to tie up a logic module to get quantized random gates.
They are both random sources so they over lap slightly. The different algorithms do give you different flavours to the random though from the ura ones, I put some of this down to the Nano being digital and the uRA analog.

Also having a pole selector switch is usefull. The ura is only bi-polar

M6live
Wiggling with Experience

Post by M6live » Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:38 pm

Redacted.
Last edited by M6live on Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

echoplex
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by echoplex » Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:10 am

does it require +5V ?

modezart
Wiggling with Experience

Post by modezart » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:37 pm

i just got mine today, the silver version. now here is the problem, that knob wich changes the aglo wont jump back cause its sticks on the bottom of the rack. i tried with case, doepfer rack and a skiff...

anybody?

JamieH
Common Wiggler

Post by JamieH » Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:46 am

Im pretty sure it doesnt need +5.

Great little module, i have been using it a lot recently.

I'm not sure what you mean Modezart, want to post a picture ?

hinterlands303
Ultra Wiggler

Post by hinterlands303 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:24 pm

modezart wrote:i just got mine today, the silver version. now here is the problem, that knob wich changes the aglo wont jump back cause its sticks on the bottom of the rack. i tried with case, doepfer rack and a skiff...

anybody?
Did you solve this? I just got mine and I'm having the same problem.

Studio-ES
Common Wiggler

Post by Studio-ES » Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:45 am

hinterlands303 wrote:
modezart wrote:i just got mine today, the silver version. now here is the problem, that knob wich changes the aglo wont jump back cause its sticks on the bottom of the rack. i tried with case, doepfer rack and a skiff...

anybody?
I had the same problem while the NanoRand was mounted in the skiff-area (lower-half) of a Doepfer base-case (A-100PB). Had to disassemble the module and trim about 1/16" from the bottom of the button that sits just inside the panel.
I recently bought an upright case (A-100P9) and there's more room.

hinterlands303
Ultra Wiggler

Post by hinterlands303 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:39 am

Studio-ES wrote:
hinterlands303 wrote:

anybody?
I had the same problem while the NanoRand was mounted in the skiff-area (lower-half) of a Doepfer base-case (A-100PB). Had to disassemble the module and trim about 1/16" from the bottom of the button that sits just inside the panel.
I recently bought an upright case (A-100P9) and there's more room.
Hmm... I can't say I'm excited about taking a knife to my Nano Rand. When did you get yours? I wonder if it's an issue with a recent batch since a lot of people don't seem to be having an issue.

Studio-ES
Common Wiggler

Post by Studio-ES » Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:41 pm

I got it in March of this year. The black button looks similar to the one used for the Cycle button in the Maths 2013 version (or the Disturb button on the Wogglebug 2014). Since Darkplace makes these Qu-Bit modules, I wonder why they didn't suggest using the smaller buttons that the Malekko modules use.
What case do you have?

hinterlands303
Ultra Wiggler

Post by hinterlands303 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:58 pm

Studio-ES wrote:I got it in March of this year. The black button looks similar to the one used for the Cycle button in the Maths 2013 version (or the Disturb button on the Wogglebug 2014). Since Darkplace makes these Qu-Bit modules, I wonder why they didn't suggest using the smaller buttons that the Malekko modules use.
What case do you have?
It's a Rast (from Ikea) with two sets of tiptop rails and ears mounted in it. I guess I'l try your fix.

EDIT: Qu-Bit got back to me and made a simple suggestion of how to get the button to unstick in my case (make sure it is pushed all the way up before screwing it in). it worked! They also offered to file down the button for me free of charge and even pay for shipping. Another great experience with a Euro manufacturer!

In other news - I'm loving the Nano Rand. Very musical randomness to my ears.

dysonant
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dysonant » Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:36 am

In case anyone is interested, I made a simple cheat sheet for the Nano Rand. This is meant to sit with other cheat sheets I've made on a single page, hence it's minimalism. Not everything is included from the manual because some functions are obvious, like the s&h and noise. I tried to include only items that are variable based on settings. It's not great, but helpful to me.

kirklandish
Wiggling with Experience

Post by kirklandish » Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:47 pm

^ thanks for the cheat sheet, I've had the Nano Rand for a couple weeks now and I'm really enjoying it. Small but mighty!

dubnspace
Veteran Wiggler

Post by dubnspace » Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:04 pm

yeah thanks. just recently got one too.

DanJGW
Wiggling with Experience

Post by DanJGW » Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:53 am

I'm considering flipping my wogglebug for this, looks quicker to use and I like the sound of the random lfo.
I sometimes think the wogglebug is a reluctant participant in my modular whereas I reckon the nanorand will be happy to play

Flohr
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Flohr » Sun Jul 10, 2016 4:02 pm

I recently got a Nano Rand. I can highly recommend it. My favorite features are the ability to set the random output to unipolar or bipolar, and the gate output behavior when clocked externally. My least favorite features are the color/brightness of the light and the sound of the noise for audio. I use noise for percussion a lot and I much prefer the analog noise on my Polivoks Modulator to the Nano's. I also haven't found any use for the audiorate square waves. Any ideas? All in all though, for the price and hp it seems impossible to beat.

Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos » Sun Jul 10, 2016 4:40 pm

Totally agree about the noise- I just don't like how it sounds.
Great module though!

erstlaub
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by erstlaub » Sun Jul 10, 2016 4:42 pm

It's a great module indeed, there's some thoughts, handy patching tips (and hoooooopefully some suggestions that QuBit might still look at) over in this thread too - viewtopic.php?t=137245&start=all&postda ... torder=asc

The self patching tip is a killer, I'll use a stackable or a mult and pass it through an attenuator before patching back into itself for lovely subtle control between levels of madness.

I think the big problem with the noise is that it's the resulting sum of all the other settings so you need to have it running at totally useless maximum everything to get a decent level out. The S+H is by far the least used part of mine, the voltages you can get from the noise are super weedy and can't really make anything happen when you use it that way, external noise works fine though.

Del
Common Wiggler

Re: Nano Rand is now available!

Post by Del » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:42 pm

Is this the only nano rand thread?

I'm having trouble understanding if this module is a source of random gates or a source of random beat divisions / multiplications. I know that when externally clocked, the output will be rhythmic subdivisions. What about when internally clocked? The manual says...

"When internally clocked, gate out produces periodic gate signals at the rate of the internal clock"

Does that mean it's a steady clock or are the gates random? "Periodic" just means occurring at intervals. Regular intervals or random intervals?

Thanks.

Del
Common Wiggler

Post by Del » Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:38 am

Del wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:42 pm
Is this the only nano rand thread?

I'm having trouble understanding if this module is a source of random gates or a source of random beat divisions / multiplications. I know that when externally clocked, the output will be rhythmic subdivisions. What about when internally clocked? The manual says...

"When internally clocked, gate out produces periodic gate signals at the rate of the internal clock"

Does that mean it's a steady clock or are the gates random? "Periodic" just means occurring at intervals. Regular intervals or random intervals?

Thanks.
Bumping my own question. Anybody?

Umcorps
Will patch for food

Post by Umcorps » Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:26 am

It means its a steady clock

Return to “Eurorack Modules”