Sputnik Modular (general thread)

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

david_r
Wiggling with Experience

Post by david_r » Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:26 pm

radiokoala wrote:Yo david,

regarding small HP LPGs check out this:

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/other-unk ... hworks-vg2

Yes, no idea how it sounds yet, but I'll be damned to say I'm not intrigued! :)
Hey radio,

That sure does look interesting, specially considering it's passive! It's a DIY also, I love DIY! Can't find the panel on the website though.

expr wrote: Sell the pittsburgh voice and get the quad LPG from sputnik! It's so worth 16hp. It's by far the best sounding LPG in euro. Much closer to a Buchla 292 than the Optomix, which I find a bit dull sounding. Plus it bleeds a lot more.
I ended up pulling the trigger on the Optomix. I do see the vca/vcf down the road. I had planned to get the delay next but not sure now, it might just be the vca/vcf.

ym2612
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ym2612 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:56 pm

Has anybody compared the Oscillator to any of the 258 variations out there? I assume it's the same as Roman's version, but I'd be curious if anybody has a first-hand take.

exper
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by exper » Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:24 pm

Any update on manuals/specs/power requirements for the first set of modules?
Current system:
http://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/5549

FS/T: Modules/Google Case/Grayscale Panels.
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=229687

h4ndcrafted
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by h4ndcrafted » Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:07 am

Bumping for feedback on the 6 mixer , got my eye on one of these.

bc3
Veteran Wiggler

Post by bc3 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:06 am

Just got the mixer yesterday and tested it out. The mixer sounds great, mutes and panning work well. I did not have a chance yet to really test the CV control over the panning on channels 1 & 6 but it does work as advertised. The only "issue" on my particular unit is that it appears the potentiometer for the Direct Out level control is mounted upside down on the PCB. I will test further this evening and report back. Other than that it appears to be a well made product.

knows
Common Wiggler

Post by knows » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:43 am

^
Its the knob! I got a backwards one to. The pointer is oriented the wrong way.

Kieftenbelt
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Kieftenbelt » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:40 am

I'm really curious about the new DUAL VCO. Is there already a price indication?

notoms
Learning to Wiggle

Post by notoms » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:11 pm

bc3 wrote:Just got the mixer yesterday and tested it out. The mixer sounds great, mutes and panning work well. (...)The only "issue" on my particular unit is that it appears the potentiometer for the Direct Out level control is mounted upside down on the PCB. I will test further this evening and report back. Other than that it appears to be a well made product.
Hi - I just received the Mixer and VCA/F today, I'm not too happy about the panning by CV. I tried modulating with EMW LFO (tri or square) and with a different 5V modulation source through QMI, both resulted in abrupt "clicks" as the panning sets it, even with a slow/soft triangle, that pretty much makes CV panning useless to me, and with zero documentation on the CV input (none in the box, and link to "manual" on website just reloads the page here..), I'm not sure if the issue is with voltage or the unit itself. After disconnecting the CV panning cable, there is several seconds of noise going into the mix, almost like there is some "stored up" voltage (capacitor?) that is released slowly...very nasty (not in a good way). Except for this the mixer seems fine.

My direct out is also mounted upside down, confusing, but I'm not using this feature anyhow.

Regarding the 4x VCA/F, pretty happy with this one!

Spiked Lunch
Massive Synth Wanker

Post by Spiked Lunch » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:17 am

notoms wrote:
bc3 wrote:Just got the mixer yesterday and tested it out. The mixer sounds great, mutes and panning work well. (...)The only "issue" on my particular unit is that it appears the potentiometer for the Direct Out level control is mounted upside down on the PCB. I will test further this evening and report back. Other than that it appears to be a well made product.
Hi - I just received the Mixer and VCA/F today, I'm not too happy about the panning by CV. I tried modulating with EMW LFO (tri or square) and with a different 5V modulation source through QMI, both resulted in abrupt "clicks" as the panning sets it, even with a slow/soft triangle, that pretty much makes CV panning useless to me, and with zero documentation on the CV input (none in the box, and link to "manual" on website just reloads the page here..), I'm not sure if the issue is with voltage or the unit itself. After disconnecting the CV panning cable, there is several seconds of noise going into the mix, almost like there is some "stored up" voltage (capacitor?) that is released slowly...very nasty (not in a good way). Except for this the mixer seems fine.

My direct out is also mounted upside down, confusing, but I'm not using this feature anyhow.

Aw man, that does not sound good - I have a mixer on its way to me.
I believe the panning CV should be +ve voltage only, like with Buchla.
If I'm lucky, I might get mine tonight - if so, I'll report back.

knows
Common Wiggler

Post by knows » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:28 am

Just wondering about the quad function sputnik module, as far as using it running +5 or +8 volts, what are people finding the different settings are useful for? Have you been experimenting?
People seem to think the vca/vcf responds better to a hotter voltage? Are people using the two together or finding things better mixing other manufactureres with these?

ym2612
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ym2612 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:30 am

I'm using the VCA/VCF with envelopes from a Quadra and an SSF Mini Slew, and it sounds great. I have no plans to trade out for a Sputnik Quad Function.

(Kind of wish these had model numbers, because the Buchla model numbers are so easy to type out, but not everybody might know them...)

Spiked Lunch
Massive Synth Wanker

Post by Spiked Lunch » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:21 pm

Spiked Lunch wrote:
notoms wrote:

Got the Sputnik mixer :banana: forgot to order 5v adaptor :sadbanana:

Spiked Lunch
Massive Synth Wanker

Post by Spiked Lunch » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:22 pm

Well, at least it looks nice :tu:

Spiked Lunch
Massive Synth Wanker

Post by Spiked Lunch » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:39 pm

Just found out that if I jumper some of the terminals on my bus board, I'll get 5v.

Back in the game :banana:

suboptimal
A Towering Mediocrity

Post by suboptimal » Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:09 pm

Wish I had that option. My 5V adapter seems to be lost in the ether between here and Control. Irritating as hell. :bang:

WhiteIsBeautiful
Common Wiggler

Post by WhiteIsBeautiful » Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:07 pm

knows wrote:Just wondering about the quad function sputnik module, as far as using it running +5 or +8 volts, what are people finding the different settings are useful for? Have you been experimenting?
People seem to think the vca/vcf responds better to a hotter voltage? Are people using the two together or finding things better mixing other manufactureres with these?
ive been using both. with quad function->vca/vcf i noticed the pulse output is quieter then using the out output.

just started to experiment with with the +8 will have to get back to you on that one.

Spiked Lunch
Massive Synth Wanker

Post by Spiked Lunch » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:27 pm

suboptimal wrote:Wish I had that option. My 5V adapter seems to be lost in the ether between here and Control. Irritating as hell. :bang:
Hope it turns up soon! The whole Euro 5v thing is a bit of a PITA.

Had a good play with the mixer tonight and I'm very happy with it. I've not been getting any nasty distortions when panning and I've been using both uni and bipolar signals.

If found that there is some soft clipping/saturation when it's pushed from around 3 o'clock onwards but it never sounds harsh.

I'd really hoped that the master output was line level or switchable via a jumper - that's my only minor gripe.

First impressions = :tu:

echoplex
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by echoplex » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:15 pm

does the mixer needs +5v, am I reading correctly? :guinness:

matttech
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by matttech » Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:14 am

Just to put some perspective on the voltage range of the West Coast Random Modules. At first I was a little concerned, as I've just got a load of these modules in stock, and am actually just about to post some of them out!

I tested my Doepfer a149-1 Source of Uncertainty module (also based in part on the buchla) and that too is 0-5v, which I've never found to be a problem

I then tested the main output of the Turing Machine, and that's about the same again. Neither go anywhere near 10v...or even 8v.

Bear in mind that is 5 octaves in terms of pitch, and if you are wanting to send out to control anything non-pitch related, you can merely amplify it a bit in whatever way you have available.

In terms of pitch control I actually find that 0-5v is far more useful, as things like the (otherwise wonderful) z8000 sequencer, which has a 0-10v range, is WAY too much...and takes oscs outside my hearing range! That ALWAYS needs attenuation

ym2612
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ym2612 » Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:37 am

It mostly depends on how it'll work with the modules you have. The Wogglebug and Noisering go 0-10V, which is what I'm used to, and is useful for modulating (with offset) CV inputs that have a range of -5V to 5V, or, as on some modules I have, 0-10V. These aren't pitch inputs, of course. Voltages over 5V are also useful for opening LPGs and getting wide responses from filter frequency CVs.

The Sputnik modules seem adapted to use 0-5V inputs in most, if not all, cases, so the WCRS works well within that system.

If you do any testing on the WCRS, I'd be curious whether you see the same sample & hold behavior I've seen on a couple of units now: on the "all pulses CV output, it doesn't seem to lock onto the input voltage until you've triggered the circuit with a pulse several times. The faster the input voltage is moving, the more inaccurate the output will be. This makes it not so great for sampling changing pitch CVs - it sounds very sloppy.

matttech
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by matttech » Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:05 am

Spiked Lunch wrote:
notoms wrote:

Wow, this post got me in a panic too - so I rushed upstairs to test it out (got someone coming round to possibly buy one later!)

Have tried all inputs with sine waves going directly into them, and have noticed virtually nothing in the way of clipping. Maybe a VERY subtle "rounding-off" when run at full tilt, but nothing to worry about.

Bear in mind I have only been testing the inputs one at a time so far, rather than a mix - so maybe you have to be a bit more careful when combining multiple inputs, in order to not clip the output bus (this is the same with all mixers)

I then tried the panning, and am pleased to report that - certainly on mine - there is zero clicking when used to pan back and forth. And that's on a LOW sine wave, so you'd hear it if there was.

Have been using an output from Maths, with the output attenuated down to nearer 5v. Works exactly as expected.

Obviously you WILL hear clicks and pops if you use a saw/ square or similar "edged" modulation source - and sometimes digital mod sources can have unwanted artifacts which can cause these kind of things. I also had various LFOS that were no good for this kind of job, and added little clicks/ pops at their peaks, as the sines/ triangles were essentially shaped saw waves which had every so tiny glitches in the waveforms, which can cause clicks/pops when used to modulate VCAs 9and sometimes filters too)

Hope this helps

fac
wig MUffler

Post by fac » Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:19 am

I'm an early adopter of Sputnik modules. I have a DWG (258 clone) and a DFG (half a 281) and a couple more builds from Roman (a YuSynth dual slew limiter and a Polivoks filter clone), all in MU format. I wanted to buy the MU WCRS also, but I was out of funds.

Anyway, in my eurorack I have the Noisering and Wogglebug. Has anyone compared these to the WCRS in terms of functionality?

notoms
Learning to Wiggle

Post by notoms » Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:28 am

matttech wrote:
Spiked Lunch wrote:
notoms wrote:
Hi - I just received the Mixer and VCA/F today, I'm not too happy about the panning by CV. (...)

(..)

Wow, this post got me in a panic too - so I rushed upstairs to test it out (got someone coming round to possibly buy one later!)

Have tried all inputs with sine waves going directly into them, and have noticed virtually nothing in the way of clipping. Maybe a VERY subtle "rounding-off" when run at full tilt, but nothing to worry about.

Bear in mind I have only been testing the inputs one at a time so far, rather than a mix - so maybe you have to be a bit more careful when combining multiple inputs, in order to not clip the output bus (this is the same with all mixers)

I then tried the panning, and am pleased to report that - certainly on mine - there is zero clicking when used to pan back and forth. And that's on a LOW sine wave, so you'd hear it if there was.
(..)
Hi - update on Mixer - my issues were solved by adding a 5V power supply (Mutable instruments "Volts") as my Doepfer DIY supply only delivers 12V. Channel 1 and 6 now light up and pan nicely.

So yes: Sputnik 6-Channel Mixer requires both 12V and 5V to operate correctly.

blinosynth
Veteran Wiggler

Post by blinosynth » Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:15 am

Kieftenbelt wrote:I'm really curious about the new DUAL VCO. Is there already a price indication?
me too !!! :sadbanana:

WhiteIsBeautiful
Common Wiggler

Post by WhiteIsBeautiful » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:56 am

blinosynth wrote:
Kieftenbelt wrote:I'm really curious about the new DUAL VCO. Is there already a price indication?
me too !!! :sadbanana:
single vco is 250 so try doubling that price and im sure thats what its going to be around esp if sputnik wants to compete with verbos and make noise dual vcos

Return to “Eurorack Modules”