Sputnik Modular (general thread)

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Post Reply
User avatar
phonkmeister
Common Wiggler
Posts: 165
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:13 am
Location: italy
Contact:

Post by phonkmeister » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:04 pm

mritenburg wrote:Was Sputnik at Superbooth 2017? Any news?
Roman was supposed to go to Berlin but he didn't get a Visa. I think Sputnik in Eurorack is not dead yet, I think I've seen he was working on a prototype of the frequency shifter in euro lately.

User avatar
sjoerdvankampen
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:23 pm
Location: Rotterdam, NL
Contact:

Post by sjoerdvankampen » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:01 am

I really hope he continues with eurorack sooner or later. I got some euro space that really needs filling!
See the vegetable man in the vegetable van

nashsnazzy
Common Wiggler
Posts: 120
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:52 am
Location: Nashville
Contact:

Post by nashsnazzy » Wed May 03, 2017 6:44 am

phonkmeister wrote:
mritenburg wrote:Was Sputnik at Superbooth 2017? Any news?
Roman was supposed to go to Berlin but he didn't get a Visa. I think Sputnik in Eurorack is not dead yet, I think I've seen he was working on a prototype of the frequency shifter in euro lately.
That is encouraging news. Hopefully he keeps shipping Euro stuff.

RussiaZero23
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 314
Joined: Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:53 am
Location: Clearwater ID 83552

Post by RussiaZero23 » Thu May 04, 2017 7:18 pm

Ill try to post here first.

Can some one take a picture of the back end of the Sputnik: west coast random source for me please?

I got one recently and wanted to compare my model with others.

Along the right hand side (facing the module from the Front face plate) I see some headers Along the inside but they are positioned so that you can not have access to them. Wanted to know if these could be used to adjust/or Break out features.

It may be worth re soldering the pins so that we have access to them?

User avatar
BaloErets
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1038
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:00 pm
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Contact:

Post by BaloErets » Thu May 04, 2017 8:37 pm

Confirmed that I have the same on mine

Image

RussiaZero23
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 314
Joined: Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:53 am
Location: Clearwater ID 83552

Post by RussiaZero23 » Thu May 04, 2017 8:56 pm

BaloErets wrote:Confirmed that I have the same on mine

Image
Thanks so much. Looks like Roman may not want us to use those ports.

Based on a quote from Roman
roman_f wrote: btw integrator is OTA-based, CA3080
the module also has a pulse divider - to odd and even pulses
FRV, QRV and SRV sections are digital in WCRS
noise, slew and s&h are equal to the original circuit, but adapted to work with negative voltages as well as positive ones
Those may be where the Firmware Data goes for the Digital Section of the FRV,QRV,and SRV.

Maybe Roman Can elaborate on it. I would like to Adjust the Range of the Fluctuating Random Section and smooth them out when you use them at a high speed (with out using up other modules to Slew them)

User avatar
BaloErets
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1038
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:00 pm
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Contact:

Post by BaloErets » Thu May 04, 2017 9:01 pm

Yeah, I get what you're saying. It does get a bit chirpy (for a lack of a better work) at the last 3 percent or so of the range.

RussiaZero23
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 314
Joined: Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:53 am
Location: Clearwater ID 83552

Post by RussiaZero23 » Thu May 04, 2017 9:42 pm

I can get rid of the Chirpy with the Built in Slew Limiter or with a Disting but I need them for other tasks.

I wonder if the Original 266 performed the same way?

Cross patching with a NanoRand is Fun.

The range may be 5 Volts but I can boost that if needed. I have gotten Lots of musical Results in just the hour or so of testing.

Flamusic
Common Wiggler
Posts: 97
Joined: Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:18 pm
Location: Germany
Contact:

Post by Flamusic » Fri May 12, 2017 7:13 am

Does anyone know if can run pitch cv from two sequencers thru the Sputnik Modular Selector and switch between them ?
Or is it not for accurate pitch cv and more for audio and controll cv ?

User avatar
mritenburg
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1698
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:17 pm
Location: Boston

Post by mritenburg » Fri May 12, 2017 7:19 am

Flamusic wrote:Does anyone know if can run pitch cv from two sequencers thru the Sputnik Modular Selector and switch between them ?
Or is it not for accurate pitch cv and more for audio and controll cv ?
It can be used with CV or audio according to the product description.
Disappointment with any module is usually a failure of imagination.

Post-Synthwave Track


Flamusic
Common Wiggler
Posts: 97
Joined: Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:18 pm
Location: Germany
Contact:

Post by Flamusic » Fri May 12, 2017 7:45 am

i read that.
But i also have a MI Frames wich could handle CV.
But its affecting the pitch CV.
So i cant youse it as a sequential switch to switch between Step sequencers.
Because its affecting the pitch.
So i would to be shure that the Sputnik can handle this.
Before order one.

User avatar
mritenburg
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1698
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:17 pm
Location: Boston

Post by mritenburg » Fri May 12, 2017 8:25 am

Flamusic wrote:i read that.
But i also have a MI Frames wich could handle CV.
But its affecting the pitch CV.
So i cant youse it as a sequential switch to switch between Step sequencers.
Because its affecting the pitch.
So i would to be shure that the Sputnik can handle this.
Before order one.
Did you ask how to use the Frames as a sequential switch in one of the Frames discussions? I read that it's possible. You probably just need to configure it correctly. I don't own one, so I can't help you, but yeah, you should ask in a Frames discussion.
Disappointment with any module is usually a failure of imagination.

Post-Synthwave Track


Flamusic
Common Wiggler
Posts: 97
Joined: Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:18 pm
Location: Germany
Contact:

Post by Flamusic » Fri May 12, 2017 9:13 am

i asked Mutable Instruments directly.
But they said that it will influence the pitch a little bit.
Thats getting worse with more octaves.

User avatar
Naestran
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 39
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:43 pm
Location: Hannover, Germany

Post by Naestran » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:35 pm

Does anyone have any news on the future of Sputnik euro?

The Complex Osc is not available anywhere, it seems like no reseller can restock any modules. I thought Darkplace was in charge of the distribution now? :hmm:

User avatar
mritenburg
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1698
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:17 pm
Location: Boston

Post by mritenburg » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:43 pm

Naestran wrote:Does anyone have any news on the future of Sputnik euro?
I know that Roman shutdown the Sputnik Modular instagram account. He seems to be focusing on Deckard's Dream and something called "Black Corp." Sputnik euro is uncertain at best.
Disappointment with any module is usually a failure of imagination.

Post-Synthwave Track


User avatar
phonkmeister
Common Wiggler
Posts: 165
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:13 am
Location: italy
Contact:

Post by phonkmeister » Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:32 pm

Roman has sold Sputnik. He remains as a designer, he said. Not sure if this is good or bad news though. :hmm:

User avatar
Naestran
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 39
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:43 pm
Location: Hannover, Germany

Post by Naestran » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:17 am

phonkmeister wrote:Roman has sold Sputnik. He remains as a designer, he said. Not sure if this is good or bad news though. :hmm:
Do you have any idea who bought the brand? Would be interesting to know if Sputnik will be re-appearing in the modular world any time soon.

User avatar
lud
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1089
Joined: Tue May 05, 2015 2:02 pm
Location: UK

Post by lud » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:45 am

Good news if it was shutting down

Zube
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 413
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:25 am
Location: Spain

Post by Zube » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:15 am

lud wrote:Good news if it was shutting down
Why? They sound good, are affordable versions of expensive or rare modules.

User avatar
phonkmeister
Common Wiggler
Posts: 165
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:13 am
Location: italy
Contact:

Post by phonkmeister » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:41 am

Naestran wrote: Do you have any idea who bought the brand? Would be interesting to know if Sputnik will be re-appearing in the modular world any time soon.
No idea, sorry. But I'm told that the Spectral Processor and the Frequency Shifter are not far away. But who knows.

User avatar
lud
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1089
Joined: Tue May 05, 2015 2:02 pm
Location: UK

Post by lud » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:33 am

Sorry didn't mean it like that, badly put and easily misinterpreted.
Followup to the previous poster who wasn't sure if it was a good thing it was sold.

I'm saying it was good news as it was going to shut down - good that he will be still releasing his designs.

Of course I've got nothing against his products!

Zube
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 413
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:25 am
Location: Spain

Post by Zube » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:43 am

lud wrote:Sorry didn't mean it like that, badly put and easily misinterpreted.
Followup to the previous poster who wasn't sure if it was a good thing it was sold.

I'm saying it was good news as it was going to shut down - good that he will be still releasing his designs.

Of course I've got nothing against his products!
My bad... Didn't make the connection! Glad it's still going, as I want that frequency shifter and another quad VCF someday.

User avatar
Hovercraft
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1142
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:22 am
Location: DC

Post by Hovercraft » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:06 pm

Sounds like good news. Roman can focus on his strength (design), and the new owner can focus on the manufacturing, business, and marketing sides.

User avatar
Vynastin
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue May 30, 2017 8:24 am
Location: Toronto, Canada

Post by Vynastin » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:35 pm

I've been planning on putting together a Sputnik system, as I've gotten really into the West Coast/Buchla sound, and a full Buchla system is way out of my reach. The last few posts sort of freaked me a bit though... The website doesn't seem to have been updated since 2015, and the Twitter account hasn't been posted on since Jan 2016. Are they still around?

The debate leading up to this was between a Buchla Easel and a Make Noise B&G Shared System, but it seems like I can get more for my money with Sputnik. Can someone please shed some light?

User avatar
mousegarden
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 9794
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:53 am

Post by mousegarden » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:44 am

Vynastin wrote:I've been planning on putting together a Sputnik system, as I've gotten really into the West Coast/Buchla sound, and a full Buchla system is way out of my reach. The last few posts sort of freaked me a bit though... The website doesn't seem to have been updated since 2015, and the Twitter account hasn't been posted on since Jan 2016. Are they still around?

The debate leading up to this was between a Buchla Easel and a Make Noise B&G Shared System, but it seems like I can get more for my money with Sputnik. Can someone please shed some light?
I could really do with a couple of Sputnik modules, typical they should dry up now.

Post Reply

Return to “Eurorack Modules”