Sputnik Modular (general thread)

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

chaosick
Ultra Wiggler

Post by chaosick » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:21 pm

Vynastin wrote:I've been planning on putting together a Sputnik system, as I've gotten really into the West Coast/Buchla sound, and a full Buchla system is way out of my reach. The last few posts sort of freaked me a bit though... The website doesn't seem to have been updated since 2015, and the Twitter account hasn't been posted on since Jan 2016. Are they still around?

The debate leading up to this was between a Buchla Easel and a Make Noise B&G Shared System, but it seems like I can get more for my money with Sputnik. Can someone please shed some light?
I've owned Make Noise, Spuntik, Verbos, Mannequins as far as West Coast style and related are concerned. I agree that the Sputnik 4 tap delay gets a bit unusable and I never looked back once I got the 4ms DLD. I don't think Sputnik is bad, but they're not the best. Love the Verbos multi envelope and Scan and Pan. Really, I'd just encourage you to buy and sell and find stuff you like. By using cross modulation and syncing I can get all sorts of complex dual oscillator sounds via my AQA osc and others, I have wavefolding through the AJH Sonic XV, one of the best filters I've ever used, all the west coast style random sampling modules are giant in terms of HP, I think there are better alternatives in less space, I have a morphing LFO via the Octasource..etc.etc..at this point I don't really feel I'm losing anything in terms of timbre or control I'd have by having an "all west coast" or Buchla style system.

Kummer
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Kummer » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:21 pm

Could someone with authority please comment as to when we might start seeing more sputnik modules being released?

(Both the old designs and new)
I AM THAT I AM

Kummer
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Kummer » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:57 am

Roman?
I AM THAT I AM

ignatius
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ignatius » Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:37 am

pretty sure he's all about 'deckard's dream' these days. big project.

https://www.instagram.com/deckardsdream/

i don't have any insider info though... :despair:

Kummer
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Kummer » Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:59 am

ignatius wrote:pretty sure he's all about 'deckard's dream' these days. big project.

Yeah I figured the same

I just hope he stays on at Sputnik as lead designer/Overseer or some such title. It would be nice to know who bought the company and what their plans are, if that is indeed what happened
I AM THAT I AM

ignatius
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ignatius » Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:40 am

Kummer wrote:
ignatius wrote:pretty sure he's all about 'deckard's dream' these days. big project.

Yeah I figured the same

I just hope he stays on at Sputnik as lead designer/Overseer or some such title. It would be nice to know who bought the company and what their plans are, if that is indeed what happened
did he sell the company? i don't think that's the case.. or haven't heard anything like that.

he was/is the only person at sputnik. he designed all the products. darkplace manufactured and assembled them but roman was/is sole proprietor/designer at sputnik.

mritenburg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mritenburg » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:49 pm

ignatius wrote:
Kummer wrote:

Yeah I figured the same

did he sell the company? i don't think that's the case.. or haven't heard anything like that.

he was/is the only person at sputnik. he designed all the products. darkplace manufactured and assembled them but roman was/is sole proprietor/designer at sputnik.
One page back Phonkmeister reported that Roman sold Sputnik, but no one has confirmed it.
Disappointment with any module is usually a failure of imagination.

The story you are about to hear is true.

ignatius
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ignatius » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:48 pm

mritenburg wrote:
ignatius wrote:
Kummer wrote:

Yeah I figured the same

One page back Phonkmeister reported that Roman sold Sputnik, but no one has confirmed it.
oh missed that..

anyway.. i asked around.. no confirmation on that rumor but i suspect if it was sold we'll find out sooner or later if/when sputnik modules are made available again.

pines
Common Wiggler

Post by pines » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:47 pm

There seem to be a number of Sputnik modules available at various online sites, with the notable exception of the Dual Oscillator. I really like the stuff, and will buy more as the opportunity arises. I have the Dual Oscillator, 2 of the single oscillators, the West Coast Random Source, Quad Function, and Quad Vcf/Vca. Yeah, they are quirky and probably some corners were cut on the build, but they are cool to work with.

And, after working with analog synths for nearly 40 years, I'm OK with quirky and borderline unstable. 8-).... I really hope that they stay in business.

Kummer
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Kummer » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:28 am

So, given all of the above... anyone have any idea when we might see more Dual Oscillators hit the shops??
I AM THAT I AM

nectarios
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nectarios » Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:27 am

A local seller is selling the 6channel mixer, its the V2 and he says there is still some bleed.

Does this mixer sound nice when overdriven?

noisejockey
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by noisejockey » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:25 am

nectarios wrote:A local seller is selling the 6channel mixer, its the V2 and he says there is still some bleed.

Does this mixer sound nice when overdriven?
1. I have a v2 with zero bleed in mine.
2. I don't think it does, no. It gets a little thicker when pushed subtly but falls apart when redlined. The sweet spot is to narrow to use it for that purpose, in my own work, at least. (This is a description, not a criticism. I love this mixer.)

pines
Common Wiggler

Post by pines » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:10 pm

Kummer,

I talked to several of the larger Eurorack retailers about availability of current modules and what the future might hold for Sputnik. With no word or communication from Roman, these folks are the only sources of information. Take it for what it is worth....

The consensus seems to be that:
1. Sputnik will stay in business, but Roman is concentrating on Deckard's Dream.
2. Roman has ended his association with Dark Modular since moving to Japan, so manufacturing will be relocated.
3. After the run of current modules is sold out, there will be no more made from this series. There might be redesigns of the current series. There will be new modules, probably from the prototypes shown on the Sputnik website.. so more in the 200e style.
4. It is possible that the Spectral Processor and the Frequency Shifter will come out in early 2018.

All in all, it seems like positive news. I went out and bought quite a few more modules from the remaining stock of the current series. I'm up to 336hp.
I know that these aren't a real substitute for a small vintage Buchla 200 system, but they are probably as close as I'm going to get, unless I get really lucky. I could afford a 200e, but I don't want one.

Rayek
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Rayek » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:30 pm

This is really a 4u question, but with all the shuffling it seems prudent to ask if the PCBs and BOMs are still going to be updated by Roman for the 4u stuff. Any word on this? Was looking forward to picking up some sets of the new 259 boards, no change thus far on the website.

pines
Common Wiggler

Post by pines » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:40 am

Haven't heard anything on the 4U stuff...

mritenburg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mritenburg » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:04 pm

Rayek wrote:This is really a 4u question, but with all the shuffling it seems prudent to ask if the PCBs and BOMs are still going to be updated by Roman for the 4u stuff. Any word on this? Was looking forward to picking up some sets of the new 259 boards, no change thus far on the website.
The 259r rev2.1 bill of materials and build guide are posted. I'm not sure which site you are referring to.

Iridite
Common Wiggler

Post by Iridite » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:14 pm

I've had that confirmed to me (that the company/brand has been sold)

cheers

Jason
mritenburg wrote:
ignatius wrote:
Kummer wrote:

Yeah I figured the same

Kummer
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Kummer » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:56 pm

pines wrote:Kummer,

I talked to several of the larger Eurorack retailers about availability of current modules and what the future might hold for Sputnik. With no word or communication from Roman, these folks are the only sources of information. Take it for what it is worth....

The consensus seems to be that:
1. Sputnik will stay in business, but Roman is concentrating on Deckard's Dream.
2. Roman has ended his association with Dark Modular since moving to Japan, so manufacturing will be relocated.
3. After the run of current modules is sold out, there will be no more made from this series. There might be redesigns of the current series. There will be new modules, probably from the prototypes shown on the Sputnik website.. so more in the 200e style.
4. It is possible that the Spectral Processor and the Frequency Shifter will come out in early 2018.

All in all, it seems like positive news. I went out and bought quite a few more modules from the remaining stock of the current series. I'm up to 336hp.
I know that these aren't a real substitute for a small vintage Buchla 200 system, but they are probably as close as I'm going to get, unless I get really lucky. I could afford a 200e, but I don't want one.
Hey thanks for the update!

I thought he just recently moved to the states, wonder why he moved to Japan?... wonder if it has anything to do with Drumpf? Politics aside, it sounds as if something went wrong in the whole venture which kind of sucks.

But anyways, I guess that is somewhat good news if its true, but damn I really want that Dual OSC!

@Iridite - Thanks for confirming
I AM THAT I AM

js213
Wiggling with Experience

Post by js213 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:13 pm

I just got a few Sputnik modules and I really like them. I hope some of the new designs get produced.

ds48053
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ds48053 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:20 pm

js213 wrote:I just got a few Sputnik modules and I really like them. I hope some of the new designs get produced.
+1

ds48053
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ds48053 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:42 pm

js213 wrote:I just got a few Sputnik modules and I really like them. I hope some of the new designs get produced.
+1

CloudDancer
Learning to Wiggle

Post by CloudDancer » Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:31 am

Hey, I was wondering if you guys knew an alternative seq switch to the selector?

I was always planning on getting a couple more but as they've all sold out or been discontinued I'm little stuck. I've only been been building my first system this last year and bought the selector because I favoured the interface over others (and I think I just wanted one sputnik module)

Any help would be much appreciated? I guess doepfer or ALM are fair alternatives?

mritenburg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mritenburg » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:32 pm

CloudDancer wrote:Hey, I was wondering if you guys knew an alternative seq switch to the selector?

I was always planning on getting a couple more but as they've all sold out or been discontinued I'm little stuck. I've only been been building my first system this last year and bought the selector because I favoured the interface over others (and I think I just wanted one sputnik module)

Any help would be much appreciated? I guess doepfer or ALM are fair alternatives?
Doepfer A-151 is a bi-directional 4:1/1:4 sequential switch that's basically the same thing in 1/2 the space.

RadioTelefonik
Common Wiggler

Post by RadioTelefonik » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:52 pm

So beyond Sputnik having been (apparently) sold, has anybody heard anything since? No word on who owns it, or if those beaut modules being teased on the Sputnik site will ever see the light of day? Been trynna put together a completely Sputnik system, but idk whether or not to save some rack space... :despair:

exper
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by exper » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:01 pm

RadioTelefonik wrote:So beyond Sputnik having been (apparently) sold, has anybody heard anything since? No word on who owns it, or if those beaut modules being teased on the Sputnik site will ever see the light of day? Been trynna put together a completely Sputnik system, but idk whether or not to save some rack space... :despair:
That’s about it. No word for quite a while, other than the oddly secretive new owner situation. Its been over 2 years since any of the new stuff was shown. Nothing released after the keyboard I think.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
FS/T: Goike Folding Case / Grayscale Panels
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Return to “Eurorack Modules”