Sputnik Modular (general thread)

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

BrokenBo
Wiggling with Experience

Post by BrokenBo » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:28 am

so is sputnik dead? or will they come back and release some of these immense designs they showed?

itsritual
Common Wiggler

Post by itsritual » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:59 am

BrokenBo wrote:so is sputnik dead? or will they come back and release some of these immense designs they showed?
All that's really known has been talked about in the previous page. Basically the company has been sold, and no one knows what the new owner plans to do.

tablahead
Learning to Wiggle

Post by tablahead » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:19 pm

The last couple of pages here sound pretty unfortunate, as I recently took delivery of a brand new Selector that was DOA, and I have had no luck getting a reply from their Support form on the Sputnik website. :waah:

Does anyone have a thought about how I might get in touch with Sputnik for warranty repair?

chysn
Ultra Wiggler

Post by chysn » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:24 pm

tablahead wrote:The last couple of pages here sound pretty unfortunate, as I recently took delivery of a brand new Selector that was DOA, and I have had no luck getting a reply from their Support form on the Sputnik website. :waah:

Does anyone have a thought about how I might get in touch with Sputnik for warranty repair?
Yeah, in the U.S., contact Dark Place Manufacturing. They made Sputnik stuff. They respond to emails pretty quickly, and they'll get you an RA for warranty repair, and you'll send your module off to Portland.

Edit: That's https://darkplacemfg.com/

Another Edit: And for out-of-warranty repair, they don't charge much at all.
Current Rack: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/354385
Hemisphere Suite: https://github.com/Chysn/O_C-HemisphereSuite/wiki

"Man must shape his tools lest they shape him." --Arthur Miller

natureclubcassettes
Veteran Wiggler

Post by natureclubcassettes » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:35 pm

this is such a bummer. always thought it'd be really neat to have a full sputnik system, especially with the new stuff they were gonna put out.

side note: the four tap always looked neat, but the new verbos delay looks a lot closer to the time domain processor...

thetwlo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by thetwlo » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:41 pm

tablahead wrote:The last couple of pages here sound pretty unfortunate, as I recently took delivery of a brand new Selector that was DOA, and I have had no luck getting a reply from their Support form on the Sputnik website. :waah:

that's not warranty, return to the place you purchased from.
They will pay return shipping if defective.

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:08 pm

Commenting mostly to follow. I was always intrigued by the Sputnik stuff but the mixed reviews always turned me off a bit. Also, I was a little frustrated when I bought the TKB, being told the expander was around the corner and it never saw the light of day. Also, Roman strikes me as a little flighty to me. Maybe I'm wrong. But over the course a few years he's gone from cloning Buchla, to starting a eurorack company to now Deckard's Dream. He seems brilliant and ambitious. But, it seems like there have been flaws in some of the early releases, and I don't feel like there's been enough longevity to it all to provide me the sense that any sorts of bugs will be sorted out before he moves on to something else. Again, maybe I'm looking at it the wrong way. I'm curious to see how this all plays out, as I've always been interested in a Sputnik system.

mritenburg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mritenburg » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:28 pm

Sinamsis wrote:Commenting mostly to follow. I was always intrigued by the Sputnik stuff but the mixed reviews always turned me off a bit. Also, I was a little frustrated when I bought the TKB, being told the expander was around the corner and it never saw the light of day. Also, Roman strikes me as a little flighty to me. Maybe I'm wrong. But over the course a few years he's gone from cloning Buchla, to starting a eurorack company to now Deckard's Dream. He seems brilliant and ambitious. But, it seems like there have been flaws in some of the early releases, and I don't feel like there's been enough longevity to it all to provide me the sense that any sorts of bugs will be sorted out before he moves on to something else. Again, maybe I'm looking at it the wrong way. I'm curious to see how this all plays out, as I've always been interested in a Sputnik system.
I think the general consensus is that both Sputnik Modular and the 200r kit clones are both dead (this doesn't mean all Buchla clones are dead, just the 200r series of DIY kits). If you want either, you should snap them up while they are still available.
Disappointment with any module is usually a failure of imagination.

The story you are about to hear is true.

search64
Ultra Wiggler

Post by search64 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:43 pm

[quote="Sinamsis”]Also, Roman strikes me as a little flighty to me. Maybe I'm wrong. But over the course a few years he's gone from cloning Buchla, to starting a eurorack company to now Deckard's Dream. [/quote]

More accurately, he went from cloning Buchla, to ripping off Buchla (Sputnik modules are almost all riffs of off Buchla modules), to cloning a Yamaha CS-80.

chaosick
Ultra Wiggler

Post by chaosick » Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:54 pm

search64 wrote:[quote="Sinamsis”]Also, Roman strikes me as a little flighty to me. Maybe I'm wrong. But over the course a few years he's gone from cloning Buchla, to starting a eurorack company to now Deckard's Dream.
More accurately, he went from cloning Buchla, to ripping off Buchla (Sputnik modules are almost all riffs of off Buchla modules), to cloning a Yamaha CS-80.[/quote]

Though Mark Verbos could be accused of much the same, minus the CS-80.

Kummer
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Kummer » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:09 pm

If the company was "SOLD" then whoever bought it will want to start things back up to recoup their purchase price at the very least... you don't just buy things to let them die. If "SOLD" means not actually sold and they just shut down business, then yeah, goodbye Sputnik. I would think that if the company was sold, the buyer would want to get info out asap to let people know business would continue as usual (unless they are setting up for a grand reopening type thing). So I'm thinking since we haven't heard anything in a good long while, Sputnik is dead, which is sad
I AM THAT I AM

thetwlo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by thetwlo » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:05 pm

Kummer wrote:If the company was "SOLD" then whoever bought it will want to start things back up to recoup their purchase price at the very least... you don't just buy things to let them die. If "SOLD" means not actually sold and they just shut down business, then yeah, goodbye Sputnik. I would think that if the company was sold, the buyer would want to get info out asap to let people know business would continue as usual (unless they are setting up for a grand reopening type thing). So I'm thinking since we haven't heard anything in a good long while, Sputnik is dead, which is sad
maybe, and this is pure speculation, perhaps(and I hope) it was sold to Dark Place, perhaps to even pay off bills owed--NO IDEA, or for cheap bases on a close friendship
so it was passed on cheaply,... whatever ...
best we can hope for!

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:08 pm

Kummer wrote:If the company was "SOLD" then whoever bought it will want to start things back up to recoup their purchase price at the very least... you don't just buy things to let them die. If "SOLD" means not actually sold and they just shut down business, then yeah, goodbye Sputnik. I would think that if the company was sold, the buyer would want to get info out asap to let people know business would continue as usual (unless they are setting up for a grand reopening type thing). So I'm thinking since we haven't heard anything in a good long while, Sputnik is dead, which is sad

Ha unless you're Apple, in which case you buy competing tech just to shut it down haha. That said, pretty much everything I've read in the past few pages has been pure speculation. What I've taken away from it is no one really knows WTF is going on, but the radio silence is a bad sign. I hope folks who purchased modules aren't left out to dry.

And regarding clones vs "ripping off" Buchla, etc. I don't really want to get into the politics of it. But I personally don't see the difference between cloning Buchla module versus recreating it in the eurorack format. Also, Deckard's dream is not a CS 80 clone. It's inspired by the CS 80 and is a reimagining of it. But the circuitry is completely different.

lobra
Common Wiggler

Post by lobra » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:44 pm

I need some of those modules that sputnik planned to release. Dual gate / envelope. the new sequential filter..

Realy hope they come back soon and the new owner gets to releasing these :waah:

chysn
Ultra Wiggler

Post by chysn » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:24 am

Kummer wrote:If the company was "SOLD" then whoever bought it will want to start things back up to recoup their purchase price at the very least...
Not necessarily. The company may have had physical or intellectual property assets of value that have nothing to do with building and selling modules, and the purchaser may already have everything they wanted. It's perfectly plausible for a company to transfer ownership and never do business again.
Current Rack: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/354385
Hemisphere Suite: https://github.com/Chysn/O_C-HemisphereSuite/wiki

"Man must shape his tools lest they shape him." --Arthur Miller

mritenburg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mritenburg » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:50 am

chysn wrote:
Kummer wrote:If the company was "SOLD" then whoever bought it will want to start things back up to recoup their purchase price at the very least...
Not necessarily. The company may have had physical or intellectual property assets of value that have nothing to do with building and selling modules, and the purchaser may already have everything they wanted. It's perfectly plausible for a company to transfer ownership and never do business again.
While your post makes sense in regard to general business practices e.g. One software company acquiring another software company just to get their real estate holdings, it really doesn't apply here. The only assets Sputnik has/had are/were module designs, panel layouts and circuit board layouts. It's not like Sputnik has real estate holdings or manufacturing facilities and equipment. All of that was outsourced to Darkplace in the first place.
Disappointment with any module is usually a failure of imagination.

The story you are about to hear is true.

Goin_noW
Common Wiggler

Post by Goin_noW » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:26 am

Roman not deal with Sputnik Modular?

StillNotWorking
Veteran Wiggler

Post by StillNotWorking » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:53 am

According to Whois Roman Flippo still are registered contact for the domain sputnik-modular.com.

With expiration date 2019-08-07 probebly not the frist thing to get sorted if there truly are new owners. But then again I would imagen things like this would be sorted together with hosting cost etc and therefore be accurate. Unless forgetfulness or lack of knowledge around these things has it's marking.

Someone with more knowledge how tax registration work in US might do a more accurate search for the companys registered owner?

EDIT: Funny observation after visiting DarkPlaces website. I really got that Skynet vibes.

RussiaZero23
Wiggling with Experience

Post by RussiaZero23 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:43 pm

Well it looks like the Sputnik website is down and not coming up again

RIP.............. would have liked to see and hear some of those modules that never came out.

StillNotWorking
Veteran Wiggler

Post by StillNotWorking » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:33 am

Temporary hickup?

http://sputnik-modular.com/ seems to function now.

Portabella
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Portabella » Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:30 pm

It's really sad that sometimes companies get sold and are basically dead then..
A shame.. Sputnik was doing great modules with innovation !
SAD!

dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dooj88 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:40 am

lobra wrote:the new sequential filter..

alas hope fades.. every half a year or so when i look for a potential filter refresh, i see this on MG and sigh..

Ebotronix
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Ebotronix » Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:25 pm

I'm happy with my Sputnik Modular System.
It was hard to find all modules.
the Dual Oscillator needs 2 month ,
it came by ship from Canada Victoria to Germany Hamburg!
I hope Roman Flippov would build the new announced moduls.

[video][/video]

here is the question...
how can I scale the Dual Oscillator to 1V oct?

mritenburg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mritenburg » Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:56 pm

Ebotronix wrote:here is the question...
how can I scale the Dual Oscillator to 1V oct?
It should be 1v/oct by default. If it has fallen out of calibration, there are v/oct trimmers on the PCB. You would follow any standard calibration procedure using a reliable reference voltage and a tuner or frequency counter. You calibrate both oscillators independent of the other.

If you don't know how to calibrate an Oscillator, that's a different discussion.

Ebotronix
Veteran Wiggler

Re: Sputnik Modular (general thread)

Post by Ebotronix » Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:55 pm

I complet my Sputnik Modular System,
hope that Roman Flippov came back in 2020 with the new modules....

Dual Multisegment Function Generator!
Sequential Filter!
Dual Envelope Gate!
Multistep Voltage Source!
Spectral Processor!
Frequency Shifter!
KB MD Expander!
QRS!
DMFG XPNDR, whatever it is!

Return to “Eurorack Modules”