MusicThing Radio Music -- sounds, patches, ideas

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

Mr_Mojo_Risin
Learning to Wiggle

Online Wide Band Radio

Post by Mr_Mojo_Risin » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:59 pm

I've been having a blast recording samples from all sorts of crazy signals at the Online Wide Band Radio - http://websdr.ewi.utwente.nl:8901
Once you figure out how to use the "Waterfall Zoom" buttons, Mouse (or Arrow Keys) and select different bands (CW - LSB - USB - AM - FM), you can locate some bizarre sounds from around the globe.
Settings which work best with my browser (Safari/Mac) are:
View: Waterfall
Allow Keyboard: Yes
Waterfall: HTML5
Sound: HTML5
Size: Large

Ultra Kabron
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Ultra Kabron » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:58 pm

Thanks for the link.

Struggle
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Online Wide Band Radio

Post by Struggle » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:30 pm

Mr_Mojo_Risin wrote:I've been having a blast recording samples from all sorts of crazy signals at the Online Wide Band Radio - http://websdr.ewi.utwente.nl:8901
Once you figure out how to use the "Waterfall Zoom" buttons, Mouse (or Arrow Keys) and select different bands (CW - LSB - USB - AM - FM), you can locate some bizarre sounds from around the globe.
Settings which work best with my browser (Safari/Mac) are:
View: Waterfall
Allow Keyboard: Yes
Waterfall: HTML5
Sound: HTML5
Size: Large

This is rad!! Been playing around with this on my phone and found lots of interesting material already. Thanks for sharing!

unclebastard
Common Wiggler

Re: Free audiobooks

Post by unclebastard » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:22 am

Struggle wrote:
unclebastard wrote:This is a whole online library of public domain audio books, including H.P.Lovecraft and Philip K Dick: https://www.librivox.org/ which should provide hours of material
Thank you!!
No problem; I've learnt a lot about Radio Music from this thread, I just wanted to give back :bananaguitar: :bananaguitar:

a100user
All the gear, no idea!

Post by a100user » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:06 am

Can't remember if I posted this before but another good radio resource is Radio Garden http://radio.garden/live/london/differentdrumz/

I'm looking for nothing at this moment in time

dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dooj88 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:25 pm

Mr_Mojo_Risin
a100user
both of these are amazing! thanks for sharing.

soundslikejoe
Veteran Wiggler

Post by soundslikejoe » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:50 pm

Finally installed the new firmware... makes flying samples onto the module easy. Definitely a great update. First jam with the new firmware...

[video][/video]

Ypsi Kid
Common Wiggler

Post by Ypsi Kid » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:25 am

soundslikejoe wrote:Finally installed the new firmware... makes flying samples onto the module easy. Definitely a great update. First jam with the new firmware...

[video][/video]
Wow man, that sounds really, really good. What do you have the Radio Music doing? Would really like to understand what you have going there, great work.

soundslikejoe
Veteran Wiggler

Post by soundslikejoe » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:34 am

Thx! :tu:

The Radio hosts a string ensemble sample that runs through clouds... the ratcheted gates from Octone are sending into Clouds trigger input.

Other things... watch Elements for the "gate light" and you'll hear what it covers (wish I had more modulation on that voice in retrospect). Rings hits the deep bass. Mangrove gets the woody leads.

Lone D
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Lone D » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:20 pm

Is it true the Radio Music can now play the Tiptop one sample bank cards ?

MDK
Common Wiggler

Post by MDK » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:25 pm

It's designed to and it does for me and one or two others who have tested it.

That's the best I can say so far :)

tenshun
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tenshun » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:56 pm

I am having a strange issue with one of my Radio music modules.

I built 2 diy kits one of them is acting normal as it should and the other one seems to have a strange glitch that pops up when im triggering sounds. It kinda sounds like a fast clock triggering the sound.
It pops up randomly into a session.

I am using the new firmware i even reflashed the operating system.
Looked over the pcb and made sure everything was soldered correctly.

Has anyone had this issue before?

scozbor
100th Member!

Post by scozbor » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:27 pm

I have a crazy idea for a quad radio music standalone box. I have not sketched out any details yet.

Something like 4 x radio music, maybe 2 lfo, 2 step seq, state variable filters, envelopes and vcas, perhaps an axoloti doing midi sync and clock stuff, and also fx.

carnage groove box

:deadbanana: :deadbanana:

rechord
Learning to Wiggle

Post by rechord » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:06 am

I have the same issue...when triggering there´s a buzz/glitch sound even if i have nothing connected on the output... :despair:
tenshun wrote:I am having a strange issue with one of my Radio music modules.

I built 2 diy kits one of them is acting normal as it should and the other one seems to have a strange glitch that pops up when im triggering sounds. It kinda sounds like a fast clock triggering the sound.

tenshun
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tenshun » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:29 am

rechord wrote:I have the same issue...when triggering there´s a buzz/glitch sound even if i have nothing connected on the output... :despair:

So i figured out my problem with the random glitch that would come out from no where.

It was my micro sd card. The way i found out was i tried a different card that was inside a different Radio Music and put it inside the module that was having the glitch problem. When turned on and triggering sounds the glitch was gone.
But when i would put the other card in the glitch would appear again.

So i bought a new one and the problem disappeared.

guestt

Post by guestt » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:26 pm

I have built so many of these things now it's getting a bit silly - but I've learned enough about the build process to do a little experiment and I thought others who are building this module may like to do this, because it really does help:

When installing the pin headers to connect the panel pcb to the main pcb do one of them the opposite way to the other.

i.e. solder a male and female pin header on each pcb, so the panel pcb had a male part on one side and a female part on the other, same for the main pcb.

You will still want to connect them all up before soldering, but when you do it this way the reliability of the connection is improved considerably.

You can still push the main pcb in a bit, but it's a much firmer connection and you need to push quite a bit harder before the pins come out.

The end result is that the whole module feels more solid!

Unless anyone requests otherwise, any I build from now on will use this method - it looks a bit weird when the pcbs are separated - but erm... you shouldn't be separating them very often, if at all!

edit: this is totally unnecessary for the pin headers that connect the teensy to the main pcb - that connection is solid enough anyway, so I recommend that they are done the usual way.

L.C.O.
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by L.C.O. » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:17 pm

Baddcr wrote:I have built so many of these things now it's getting a bit silly - but I've learned enough about the build process to do a little experiment and I thought others who are building this module may like to do this, because it really does help:

When installing the pin headers to connect the panel pcb to the main pcb do one of them the opposite way to the other.

i.e. solder a male and female pin header on each pcb, so the panel pcb had a male part on one side and a female part on the other, same for the main pcb.

You will still want to connect them all up before soldering, but when you do it this way the reliability of the connection is improved considerably.

You can still push the main pcb in a bit, but it's a much firmer connection and you need to push quite a bit harder before the pins come out.

The end result is that the whole module feels more solid!

Unless anyone requests otherwise, any I build from now on will use this method - it looks a bit weird when the pcbs are separated - but erm... you shouldn't be separating them very often, if at all!

edit: this is totally unnecessary for the pin headers that connect the teensy to the main pcb - that connection is solid enough anyway, so I recommend that they are done the usual way.
This is an excellent suggestion!
I wish I read something like this before building all 3 of mine...
;-)

memes_33
Ultra Wiggler

Post by memes_33 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:13 pm

I’ve been collecting a bunch of samples to load onto my Music Thing Radio Music modules and wanted to share the ones I’ve sourced so far- see link below:

https://app.box.com/s/c3e4fqyvu7v4zonnuv8n4iaambs9gvk2

Bank files include recordings crashed airplane black boxes, stand-up comedian routines, Alex Jones shows, field recordings, Beach Boys “Pet Sounds” acapellas, Bob Ross shows, William S. Burroughs reading “Junkie”, NASA sounds, various interviews/speeches/broadcasts, and some sparse free jazz music.

HOW IT WORKS
Each folder contains a number of .raw files that are akin to “stations” on the Radio Music. Folders are akin to “banks” on Radio Music. You can have up to 16 banks on each SD card. See more here:
https://github.com/TomWhitwell/RadioMus ... -Structure

HOW TO USE THEM

Download the “Radio Music Template” zip file and unzip, or create your own (it’s essentially just empty folders labeled “0” through “15”)
Drag any number of files into a single 0-15 folder. I find 10-20 is best- any more than 20 and it gets a little more difficult to accurately scroll through stations without skipping them.
You don’t need to fill up every folder, but why not? Smoke ‘em if you got ‘em!
Once you are done, drag ONLY the numbered folders 0-15 onto your SD card. Eject SD card, insert in Radio Music module, and have fun!
SOME NOTES ON THE FILES

I do not own any of the files, nor do I have permission to do anything with them. They have all been ripped or downloaded from the internet without the creator or artist’s permission. Any associated legal restrictions apply.
A lot of files were ripped from online video players, so they are not necessarily high-quality audio.
You may notice that the files are numbered, and that there are missing numbers in some of the folders. This is likely because some of the files were too big for Box.com to upload. If it’s really bugging you, HMU for the missing files and I’ll do my best to track them down.
I did not do a good job of labeling the files individually to provide any insight into what each is- the folder descriptions are all you get. This was mostly due to laziness and the fact that IDGAF- I just use them. Again, if you need more info, I can try to dig it up, but don’t disappointed if I can’t find it.
Last edited by memes_33 on Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tito_tunes
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tito_tunes » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:24 pm

I want to make a bank of acoustic instrument one-shots for melodies. What's the optimal note to tune them to so that the full range of pitch CV is utilized?
I see that I need to have the have the speed knob all the way down to get the best range.
danielriera.bandcamp.com

thebrotherspus
Veteran Wiggler

Post by thebrotherspus » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:40 am

memes_33 wrote:I’ve been collecting a bunch of samples to load onto my Music Thing Radio Music modules and wanted to share the ones I’ve sourced so far- see link below:

https://app.box.com/s/c3e4fqyvu7v4zonnu ... mbs9gvk213

Bank files include recordings crashed airplane black boxes, stand-up comedian routines, Alex Jones shows, field recordings, Beach Boys “Pet Sounds” acapellas, Bob Ross shows, William S. Burroughs reading “Junkie”, NASA sounds, various interviews/speeches/broadcasts, and some sparse free jazz music.

HOW IT WORKS
Each folder contains a number of .raw files that are akin to “stations” on the Radio Music. Folders are akin to “banks” on Radio Music. You can have up to 16 banks on each SD card. See more here:
https://github.com/TomWhitwell/RadioMus ... -Structure

HOW TO USE THEM

Download the “Radio Music Template” zip file and unzip, or create your own (it’s essentially just empty folders labeled “0” through “15”)
Drag any number of files into a single 0-15 folder. I find 10-20 is best- any more than 20 and it gets a little more difficult to accurately scroll through stations without skipping them.
You don’t need to fill up every folder, but why not? Smoke ‘em if you got ‘em!
Once you are done, drag ONLY the numbered folders 0-15 onto your SD card. Eject SD card, insert in Radio Music module, and have fun!
SOME NOTES ON THE FILES

I do not own any of the files, nor do I have permission to do anything with them. They have all been ripped or downloaded from the internet without the creator or artist’s permission. Any associated legal restrictions apply.
A lot of files were ripped from online video players, so they are not necessarily high-quality audio.
You may notice that the files are numbered, and that there are missing numbers in some of the folders. This is likely because some of the files were too big for Box.com to upload. If it’s really bugging you, HMU for the missing files and I’ll do my best to track them down.
I did not do a good job of labeling the files individually to provide any insight into what each is- the folder descriptions are all you get. This was mostly due to laziness and the fact that IDGAF- I just use them. Again, if you need more info, I can try to dig it up, but don’t disappointed if I can’t find it.
Nice! I'm interested in trying these out, but can't get the link to work. it just goes to a blank page for me for some reason.

Jefro
Common Wiggler

Post by Jefro » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:40 am

tenshun wrote:
rechord wrote:I have the same issue...when triggering there´s a buzz/glitch sound even if i have nothing connected on the output... :despair:

So i figured out my problem with the random glitch that would come out from no where.

It was my micro sd card. The way i found out was i tried a different card that was inside a different Radio Music and put it inside the module that was having the glitch problem. When turned on and triggering sounds the glitch was gone.
But when i would put the other card in the glitch would appear again.

So i bought a new one and the problem disappeared.
Thanks! I had the same issue as well. After reading this, I got a new SD card and the issue is gone.

mckenic
pew!pew!pew!kthnxbye!

Post by mckenic » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:03 am

thebrotherspus wrote:Nice! I'm interested in trying these out, but can't get the link to work. it just goes to a blank page for me for some reason.
Had the same issue when I tried the link yesterday.

memes_33
Ultra Wiggler

Post by memes_33 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:19 pm

sorry folks- not sure why the original link broke- this one appears to work:

(i also fixed the one in the first link)

banalytic
Common Wiggler

Re: Online Wide Band Radio

Post by banalytic » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:57 pm

Mr_Mojo_Risin wrote:I've been having a blast recording samples from all sorts of crazy signals at the Online Wide Band Radio - http://websdr.ewi.utwente.nl:8901
thx for the link!!! :yay:

Mr_Mojo_Risin
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Mr_Mojo_Risin » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:47 am

memes_33 wrote:sorry folks- not sure why the original link broke- this one appears to work:

(i also fixed the one in the first link)

I've found there's no such thing as having "too many" samples.
Thanks for sharing these :driving:

Return to “Eurorack Modules”