MusicThing Radio Music -- sounds, patches, ideas

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

Bigsteak
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Bigsteak » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:18 pm

Looking to get a radio music for field recordings and soft piano like samples to mangle with clouds. I want to use it with the DLD as well to make a sort of poor man's-hp conscious phonogene. Anyone ever use the radio music in this way to make lush ambient pads and noise washes? Thinking of trying to use it to make jefre-cantu ledesma and tim hecker like compositions. Will I be able to get there with creative patching and the right samples? What kind of samples would you recommend for that?

cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cptnal » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:05 pm

I have a thread going on elsewhere to talk about creative things to do with samples in general. Contributions thus far have been few but gratefully received.

I've found two main things in my own experiments to date:

1. Everything sounds better slowed down
2. Add a bit of distortion/folding/whatever - adds interesting overtones and takes the source material somewhere unexpected.

As to sample selection, therein lies the art, and no one can help you with that. :tu:

Bigsteak
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Bigsteak » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:09 pm

cptnal wrote:I have a thread going on elsewhere to talk about creative things to do with samples in general. Contributions thus far have been few but gratefully received.

I've found two main things in my own experiments to date:

1. Everything sounds better slowed down
2. Add a bit of distortion/folding/whatever - adds interesting overtones and takes the source material somewhere unexpected.

As to sample selection, therein lies the art, and no one can help you with that. :tu:
Great tips nonetheless, thanks!

unclebastard
Common Wiggler

More source audio

Post by unclebastard » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:00 pm

This is possibly the urtext of f***ed up radio, thousands of hours available free: http://www.subgenius.com/ts/hos.html

Hail "Bob"!

spacetime
Learning to Wiggle

Post by spacetime » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:53 pm

memes_33 wrote:sorry folks- not sure why the original link broke- this one appears to work:

https://app.box.com/s/c3e4fqyvu7v4zonnuv8n4iaambs9gvk2

(i also fixed the one in the first link)
Amazing! Thanks for this

spacetime
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Online Wide Band Radio

Post by spacetime » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:54 pm

Mr_Mojo_Risin wrote:I've been having a blast recording samples from all sorts of crazy signals at the Online Wide Band Radio - http://websdr.ewi.utwente.nl:8901
Once you figure out how to use the "Waterfall Zoom" buttons, Mouse (or Arrow Keys) and select different bands (CW - LSB - USB - AM - FM), you can locate some bizarre sounds from around the globe.
Settings which work best with my browser (Safari/Mac) are:
View: Waterfall
Allow Keyboard: Yes
Waterfall: HTML5
Sound: HTML5
Size: Large

Crazy great. Thank you

cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Online Wide Band Radio

Post by cptnal » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:01 pm

spacetime wrote:
Mr_Mojo_Risin wrote:I've been having a blast recording samples from all sorts of crazy signals at the Online Wide Band Radio - http://websdr.ewi.utwente.nl:8901
Once you figure out how to use the "Waterfall Zoom" buttons, Mouse (or Arrow Keys) and select different bands (CW - LSB - USB - AM - FM), you can locate some bizarre sounds from around the globe.
Settings which work best with my browser (Safari/Mac) are:
View: Waterfall
Allow Keyboard: Yes
Waterfall: HTML5
Sound: HTML5
Size: Large

Crazy great. Thank you
This is super cool! Even a record feature! :hail:

fablesofsilence
Learning to Wiggle

Thanks HeWhoWantsJeans enjoy my "Answer Phone stuff&quo

Post by fablesofsilence » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:45 am

HeWhoWantsJeans wrote: This is for anyone: if you use the Answer Phone stuff, I'd love to hear it so please let me know if and where I can find it. Since it's been this weird hobby of mine for five years, it's somewhat vindicating to see people do something of value with it.
Your wish is my command! Awesome collection, I can't thank you enough.

I loved the "are you kidding?" bit and used it as a recurring comment on the things you'll hear. Make up your own mind. And do listen on big speakers, the bass is really low and sounds terrible on laptops, computers, iPhones or anything else don't have real bass. You have been warned.

For this piece I have my new Voltageblock and Varigate control most of the system, including RadioMusic, Phonogene, Boomtschak. Effects thanks to Clouds, Rainmaker & Erbe-Verb. Also using BD808, Hats909, Rings, Batumi, Borg, Branches and a111.

https://soundcloud.com/user-745309372/are-you-kidding

J_Behan
Common Wiggler

Post by J_Behan » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:29 pm

Is it possible to get this thing functioning as an effective drum machine?
I'm trying to have it play back single hits from a kit which are in one folder.
I'm using the Ryo VC Seq into the Station jack to pick out single hits via cv (0 to 5v). But I'm not getting consistently clean hits. I get flams and wrong hits in between the clean hits.

I've tried putting the cv from the Seq through a quantizer and played around with various text file settings but no joy. I feel I'm very close but it's just not cutting it. It would be great to have say, a selection of vintage drum machine kits on it, one in each bank/folder.

This is what I've been using on the settings:

crossfade=0
crossfadeTime=25
showMeter=1
meterHide=2000
chanPotImmediate=1
chanCVImmediate=1
startPotImmediate=1
startCVImmediate=1
startCVDivider=128
looping=0
sort=1
pitchMode=0
MUTE=0
quantiseNoteCV=1

I set the startCVDivider to 128 which I hoped would give me 8 start points per folder, and make it easier for the incoming cv to pick out one of 8 drum hits, but I still get occasional mis-hits.

tenshun
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tenshun » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:52 pm

J_Behan wrote:Is it possible to get this thing functioning as an effective drum machine?
I'm trying to have it play back single hits from a kit which are in one folder.
I'm using the Ryo VC Seq into the Station jack to pick out single hits via cv (0 to 5v). But I'm not getting consistently clean hits. I get flams and wrong hits in between the clean hits.

I've tried putting the cv from the Seq through a quantizer and played around with various text file settings but no joy. I feel I'm very close but it's just not cutting it. It would be great to have say, a selection of vintage drum machine kits on it, one in each bank/folder.

This is what I've been using on the settings:

crossfade=0
crossfadeTime=25
showMeter=1
meterHide=2000
chanPotImmediate=1
chanCVImmediate=1
startPotImmediate=1
startCVImmediate=1
startCVDivider=128
looping=0
sort=1
pitchMode=0
MUTE=0
quantiseNoteCV=1

I set the startCVDivider to 128 which I hoped would give me 8 start points per folder, and make it easier for the incoming cv to pick out one of 8 drum hits, but I still get occasional mis-hits.
Change these settings to 0:

chanPotImmediate=0
chanCVImmediate=0
startPotImmediate=0
startCVImmediate=0

That way when you put cv into the module it will only change
When a trigger is put into reset it will fire off a different sample on each trigger/gate

J_Behan
Common Wiggler

Post by J_Behan » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:20 pm

Thanks tenshun. It's not working though.

Previously I wasn't using the Reset input at all.
Then I've tried sending the cv from the Ryo VC Seq into a Penrose quantizer, then using the gate out from Penrose into the Reset (it fires a gate out on every note), with the cv Out from Penrose going into the RM Station input to select the sample.

I've quite a limited set up here, so I've no way of firing a trigger into Reset with every cv note. I thought maybe a gate was too long, so I've tried attenuating the gate and it seems to help quite a bit, but it's still no better than not using the Reset at all.
Maybe I just need a proper trigger going in there? I've got a Ryo Trigger Expander almost built, just waiting on a ribbon cable, maybe that will sort it.

Sorry, this is all a bit long winded. Here's what I'm trying to do... I've got 8 hits in the folder, named in such a way that I know which order they're in. And I want to be able to choose which hit plays from the knob position of the VC Seq.

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:44 pm

Hi,

I know I'm over three years behind the rest of you and a total noob with the Radio Music module :oops: but I recently got the new 5U version :eek: :hide: made by Doug Slocum at Synthetic Sound Labs and made a demo of it for him in exchange for the module. 8-) FWIW I thought someone here might like to see the video. Here's a link to it where it's posted in the 5U forum. (also wiggler alternating.bit has some video demos posted there as well :tu: )
viewtopic.php?p=2914386#2914386

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:25 am

FYI and FWIW:

I uploaded the samples I made of my Rav Vast tongue drum for the Radio Music demo video. Everyone is free to download and use them in their own Radio Music module or other sample play back device etc. They aren't the greatest but might be fun for some of you?

Go to the link below and then scroll to the bottom of the page and click on the Rav drum image (left click to auto download or right click and select "download link as . . " . . in a Windows browser of course . . .not sure what will happen on a Mac but I know Safari on my iPhone doesn't really work)
http://www.imjohn.com/JLR.htm

Knock
Common Wiggler

Old firmware

Post by Knock » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:44 am

since i updated to the new firmware i've experience lots of problems with my radio music. With wav and raw files.
Can somebody tell me where i find the old firmware? The one who just work with raw files.
Thank you!

Pdm1138
Wiggling with Experience

radio music crunchy pops

Post by Pdm1138 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:23 pm

I've also had some problems with new firmware. Wav files are crunchy and distorted. The .raw files were a pain to convert, but at least they sounded clear.

I'm not sure where to find the old firmware.

cliffemu
Veteran Wiggler

Re: radio music crunchy pops

Post by cliffemu » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:59 pm

Pdm1138 wrote:I've also had some problems with new firmware. Wav files are crunchy and distorted. The .raw files were a pain to convert, but at least they sounded clear.

Did you try here?
http://polyfather.com/radio_music/

SlyFrank
Wiggling with Experience

Re: radio music crunchy pops

Post by SlyFrank » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:47 pm

Pdm1138 wrote:I've also had some problems with new firmware. Wav files are crunchy and distorted. The .raw files were a pain to convert, but at least they sounded clear.

Yup, me too. I put some homemade .wav files on after updating and they sounded clipped. I messed around with the output level trimmer, but that wasn't the problem. And I checked the files in my DAW and they are not clipped - they are just fine. But Radio Music plays them back as you say - crunchy and distorted. Fairly annoying. I've been avoiding putting any more files on Radio Music ever since, so maybe I should just go back to the old firmware and use .raw files, or just use .raw files with the new firmware (I think the new firmware still plays .raw files). Unfortunate since .wav files are sooo much easier...

Little Otik
Common Wiggler

Post by Little Otik » Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:42 pm

Is there any more news about this distortion issue?
Does anyone know if the new firmware is the issue?

I've recently entered the world of Radio Music, but the module I bought used has the old firmware.

I haven't put anything on cards, yet, and was intending to upgrade the firmware first. But after reading this, I'm having doubts.

This isn't the same issue with the resistor fix in the thread, is it? Hmm.

brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by brandonlogic » Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:52 pm

i have an odd, unique issue with my radio music. i been noticing some strange behavior, i was wondering if yall had any ideas. When i turn the system on, everything is fine. after about 5 minutes the output starts to get quite and also sound distorted. the only way to fix it is to power cycle it, and it just happens again, sounds fine for about 5 min, and then level starts to drop a little and gets distorted. this happens on all firmwares and happens on any power supply/case i tried it in.

Gohan2A
Common Wiggler

Post by Gohan2A » Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:17 pm

TomWhitwell "Celestial Tomes writes: "I'm having an issue with the audio quality slowly becoming distorted over time. When I turn on my system the module sounds fine. Over the course of maybe 20-30 minutes the sound quality decreases."
I also had this issue - but over a much longer timeframe - leaving the modular on overnight.
I think the problem is that there is no path to ground for the op amp input (IC4D)
Last night I added adding a 330K resistor in parallel to C4.
Based on one night's testing (!) this solved the problem completely.
I'm going to continue experimenting with this to see if this can also cure #50 - my first test with 330k seemed to improve it slightly, will try with a lower value resistor."

Gohan2A
Common Wiggler

Post by Gohan2A » Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:20 pm

100k work fine :party:

bc3
Veteran Wiggler

Post by bc3 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:08 am

brandonlogic wrote:i have an odd, unique issue with my radio music. i been noticing some strange behavior, i was wondering if yall had any ideas. When i turn the system on, everything is fine. after about 5 minutes the output starts to get quite and also sound distorted. the only way to fix it is to power cycle it, and it just happens again, sounds fine for about 5 min, and then level starts to drop a little and gets distorted. this happens on all firmwares and happens on any power supply/case i tried it in.
Glad you bring this up as I have had the same issue with mine so it has been sitting in a drawer the last few months. Will keep an eye on this thread to see if adding a resistor does the trick 8-)

brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by brandonlogic » Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:18 am

Gohan2A wrote:100k work fine :party:
Amazing! Thank you so much for the quick response and easy fix solution!
I will give this a try and report back!

brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by brandonlogic » Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:11 pm

bc3 wrote: Glad you bring this up as I have had the same issue with mine so it has been sitting in a drawer the last few months. Will keep an eye on this thread to see if adding a resistor does the trick 8-)
applied the 100k fix and so far so good, its been going for a few hours and no issues yet!

bc3
Veteran Wiggler

Post by bc3 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:53 am

Great to hear and thanks for the update!

Return to “Eurorack Modules”