Eurorack shops

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, Kent, Joe.

j_dowe
Wiggling with Experience

Post by j_dowe » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:56 pm

veets wrote:There actually is a bit of eurorack on Amazon. I guess it depends on what you're looking for.
yeah, i just looked and it's better than it was several months ago...

insoul8
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by insoul8 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:41 pm

veets wrote:There actually is a bit of eurorack on Amazon. I guess it depends on what you're looking for.
I was hoping to put it towards a Rene 2 or something but didn't see one so I just grabbed a Tempi. I've wanted to give it a try anyway. I already have a PNW though so I might just end up selling it but figure why not try it. And if I ever get a Rene 2, I'd want to have the Tempi anyway.

aphantomvaper
Common Wiggler

Post by aphantomvaper » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:31 am

Oh why did I have to see this..another assault on my bank account :yay:
The only thing that stays the same is change

c0ntr4d1ct10n
Common Wiggler

Re: Nice!

Post by c0ntr4d1ct10n » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:16 pm

hewed wrote:
c0ntr4d1ct10n wrote:Has anyone living in Australia been charged gst by customs yet for overseas eurorack purchases?
I got charged A$900 on a Eur5000 order from Schneidersladen in December. The value of the order may have attracted Customs' attention. I've made smaller orders from US and UK in the same period in the sub-A$1,000 range and have not (yet) been hit with Customs charges. Or it could have been the physical size that got their attention, as the order included a case.

EDIT: Fedex notified me of the charge and I paid the $900 to them rather than to Customs directly.

EDIT EDIT: +1 customer satisfaction vote for FoundSound and Tin Shed in Australia, Ctrl Mod in Brooklyn, Signal Sounds in UK and Animato in HK. All great to deal with by e-mail and, in the case of Ctrl Mod, FoundSound and Animato, also great, welcoming and generous people in person.

One of the gentlemen at Ctrl Mod in Brooklyn (whose name I've unfortunately forgotten) was incredibly generous with his time. I turned up at the store in early November with a scant amount of modular information gathered from youtube videos and he spent several hours with me guiding me through my first purchases. He was very much the complete opposite of the sort of snobbery I feared encountering in this relatively obscure area of music. Two thumbs up.
I got called up by Fedex to provide the invoice for an order from Schneidersladen which was just under $1000Aud (delivery fee put it over). I was expecting that I would have to pay gst and customs fees as there seemed to be extra checking at each step (even the tracking showed an added step and the fedex guy when I was collecting looked at an extra piece of paper attached to the package). Then when I collected the package without paying the expected extra fees I was expecting that they would send me an extra invoice, which I never received to this day :)

tuttlerecall
Learning to Wiggle

Post by tuttlerecall » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:05 pm

paranormind wrote:A few shops to recommend in Tokyo:

Echigoya
Ishibashi
Gizmo Music
Rock On, one of my favorite shop for professional studio equipment
Ikebe
Thanks for this list! Do you recommend any outside Tokyo or in other major cities in Japan?

Bignorthumbrian
Common Wiggler

Post by Bignorthumbrian » Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:15 pm

I can highly recommend Signal Sounds in Glasgow, the customer service is superb.
here hare here!

Blicken Synths
Common Wiggler

Post by Blicken Synths » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:42 pm

Another one to add the UK list. Online only...... for now

Blicken Synths

https://www.blickensynths.co.uk
Blicken Synths is a UK based online modular synth store. 10% off your first order for all new registered accounts

AndyHornBlower
Common Wiggler

Post by AndyHornBlower » Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:34 pm

Blicken Synths wrote:Another one to add the UK list. Online only...... for now

Blicken Synths

The first thing I see, when visiting that link, is a "Subscribe to newsletter" box, obscuring the page, with no apparent way to dismiss it.

That sort of thing normally results in me closing the tab, immediately. If that's your site, I suggest you take that away.

When I first visit a site, I want to look around. I don't want things getting in the way of me doing that, and I don't yet have any loyalty to, or patience for, that site. Pestering me to do something, before I've even been able to look at what the site sells, is a very bad idea.

Blicken Synths
Common Wiggler

Post by Blicken Synths » Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:36 pm

[img]
AndyHornBlower wrote:
Blicken Synths wrote:Another one to add the UK list. Online only...... for now

Blicken Synths

The first thing I see, when visiting that link, is a "Subscribe to newsletter" box, obscuring the page, with no apparent way to dismiss it.

That sort of thing normally results in me closing the tab, immediately. If that's your site, I suggest you take that away.

When I first visit a site, I want to look around. I don't want things getting in the way of me doing that, and I don't yet have any loyalty to, or patience for, that site. Pestering me to do something, before I've even been able to look at what the site sells, is a very bad idea.
If you just click anywhere outside of the box is disappears and allows you to browse the site. I'll take your feedback on board though. Thanks
Blicken Synths is a UK based online modular synth store. 10% off your first order for all new registered accounts

AndyHornBlower
Common Wiggler

Post by AndyHornBlower » Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:57 pm

Blicken Synths wrote:If you just click anywhere outside of the box is disappears and allows you to browse the site. I'll take your feedback on board though. Thanks
I see. That wasn't obvious to me, and ordinarily, that would have been the end of my visit to your site.

I see a lot of categories with very few things in each one, at the moment. I could look in each one, but I'd soon get tired of doing that. Would it be possible to just be allowed to see everything, with sort options?

I can see I can pick a manufacturer, and there are less of those, but it still gets kind of tedious. Maybe that will be needed, eventually, but at this point there doesn't seem to be enough different things in the shop to justify all the category diving, to explore it all.

It would seem better to allow a list of all things, to which filters can be applied to make smaller lists. As it stands, it would take quite a lot of clicking around, to be able to see everything you sell.

I'm aware that other shops use a similar model, but unless they're shops with a massive amount of different types of stock, there doesn't seem to be a good reason for it - it just gets in the way of seeing what I might want to buy.

Blicken Synths
Common Wiggler

Post by Blicken Synths » Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:03 pm

AndyHornBlower wrote:
Blicken Synths wrote:If you just click anywhere outside of the box is disappears and allows you to browse the site. I'll take your feedback on board though. Thanks
I see. That wasn't obvious to me, and ordinarily, that would have been the end of my visit to your site.

I see a lot of categories with very few things in each one, at the moment. I could look in each one, but I'd soon get tired of doing that. Would it be possible to just be allowed to see everything, with sort options?

I can see I can pick a manufacturer, and there are less of those, but it still gets kind of tedious. Maybe that will be needed, eventually, but at this point there doesn't seem to be enough different things in the shop to justify all the category diving, to explore it all.

It would seem better to allow a list of all things, to which filters can be applied to make smaller lists. As it stands, it would take quite a lot of clicking around, to be able to see everything you sell.

I'm aware that other shops use a similar model, but unless they're shops with a massive amount of different types of stock, there doesn't seem to be a good reason for it - it just gets in the way of seeing what I might want to buy.
The site was only launched 2 months ago so I'm in the process of building up my stock list and we'll as bringing on board more manufacturers which in turn will 'pad' out the depth of the categories.

A 'view all' style list is something we're working on. My site designer explained to me it's not quite as simple to impliment as I expected it to be, so we decided to get the site live and then build up the browsing process as we go along.

But again, thanks for the feedback

AndyHornBlower
Common Wiggler

Post by AndyHornBlower » Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:20 pm

... another thing that could be improved is retaining the chosen sort option, from one page to another.

Personally, I tend to choose sorting by price, unless I have a specific thing in mind, in which case I might sort by name. If I look at the items for one manufacturer, choose to sort by price, then go to look at the items for another manufacturer (for example), I don't want to have to specify the sort order again, and wait for the page to reload.

Again, a number of sites do the same thing (loading each new page with the defaults), but it doesn't seem like a good idea. It takes me longer, because I'm loading each initial page twice, and it puts more load on your server and/or bandwidth, loading most pages twice.

And, again, it gets tedious doing it, which means I'm less likely to stick around long enough to find something I want to buy.

There are a couple of ways to keep track of options like that, but probably the best way is to just use a session variable - set it when the visitor makes a choice, and refer to it when loading a new page, making that the default. The advantage of doing it that way is that you don't need a cookie to do it, which means you don't have to irritate new customers with a "cookie policy" notice - you can save that for when people register and login... or just avoid using cookies all together. It is still possible.

Blicken Synths
Common Wiggler

Post by Blicken Synths » Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:35 pm

AndyHornBlower wrote:... another thing that could be improved is retaining the chosen sort option, from one page to another.

Personally, I tend to choose sorting by price, unless I have a specific thing in mind, in which case I might sort by name. If I look at the items for one manufacturer, choose to sort by price, then go to look at the items for another manufacturer (for example), I don't want to have to specify the sort order again, and wait for the page to reload.

Again, a number of sites do the same thing (loading each new page with the defaults), but it doesn't seem like a good idea. It takes me longer, because I'm loading each initial page twice, and it puts more load on your server and/or bandwidth, loading most pages twice.

And, again, it gets tedious doing it, which means I'm less likely to stick around long enough to find something I want to buy.

There are a couple of ways to keep track of options like that, but probably the best way is to just use a session variable - set it when the visitor makes a choice, and refer to it when loading a new page, making that the default. The advantage of doing it that way is that you don't need a cookie to do it, which means you don't have to irritate new customers with a "cookie policy" notice - you can save that for when people register and login... or just avoid using cookies all together. It is still possible.
All duly noted. Thanks

lingonsynth
Learning to Wiggle

Post by lingonsynth » Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:37 am

Regarding Sweden: analogue.org/network seems dead, the URL should be http://thesynthesizernetwork.shop.textalk.se

parasabda
Learning to Wiggle

Post by parasabda » Thu May 09, 2019 12:07 am

update for Thailand:

Sathorn Chainsaw
https://www.sathonchainsaw.net/home
(small modular shop and Elektron dealer in Bangkok)

and

Siam Modular
https://www.siammodular.com/
(local modular producer in Chiang Mai making great low cost modules, no regular hours but you can visit by appointment)

AndyHornBlower
Common Wiggler

Post by AndyHornBlower » Thu May 09, 2019 3:41 am

parasabda wrote:Siam Modular
(local modular producer in Chiang Mai making great low cost modules, no regular hours but you can visit by appointment)
People here are probably more familiar with the name "Takaab", which they put on their modules.

ndkent
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ndkent » Thu May 09, 2019 4:42 am

c0ntr4d1ct10n wrote:
paranormind wrote:A few shops to recommend in Tokyo:

Echigoya
Ishibashi
Gizmo Music
Rock On, one of my favorite shop for professional studio equipment
Ikebe
I had a play around at five g when I was there a few weeks ago. They pretty much have every module up on a few racks so that you can try them out.
http://fiveg.net/?mode=f5 has always been the largest modular store.

Ishibashi and Ikebe are musical instrument chains, pretty sure Ikebe has a dedicated keyboard floor in Shibuya. Ishibashi has a smattering of used gear at each location, pretty sure the website lets you see what they have accumulated. They do not specialize in modulars but will have new portable synths

Is Gizmo brick and mortar? Don't see an obvious address.

Osaka has http://www.implant4.com/

parasabda
Learning to Wiggle

Post by parasabda » Thu May 09, 2019 8:13 am

AndyHornBlower wrote:
parasabda wrote:Siam Modular
People here are probably more familiar with the name "Takaab", which they put on their modules.
yes good call, *makers of the "takaab" modules

IR
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by IR » Thu May 09, 2019 8:49 am

I've had good luck with synthesizer.gr in Greece.

https://www.synthesizer.gr/

Very fast, the only downside is that I couldn't pay by PayPal without a PayPal account, although that's probably because of my location, in other countries you might be able to.

Buyakasoundman
Common Wiggler

Post by Buyakasoundman » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:50 pm

Moved to Appropriate Thread

storyinsoil
Learning to Wiggle

Post by storyinsoil » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:01 am

Anyone know of a place in Philadelphia?

ketem13
Common Wiggler

Post by ketem13 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:31 am

Bignorthumbrian wrote:I can highly recommend Signal Sounds in Glasgow, the customer service is superb.
I couldn’t agree more !

morgulbee
Common Wiggler

Post by morgulbee » Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:52 pm

A new modular synth shop in Denver, Colorado has opened! Luigi's Modular Supply has a storefront and online ordering. He manufactures cables and has a small but growing selection of Eurorack modules. Check the website for hours of operation.

https://luigismodularsupply.com/

If you're in Denver, Luigi is having a grand opening event at the store on September 14.

KurtKurt
Learning to Wiggle

Eurorack New York City

Post by KurtKurt » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:43 am

Hi!

We're going to New York in December this year,
I'm looking for some stores that sell Eurorack gear - specifically the Intellijel 7U 84HP case.
Also - side question - will it matter with the power supply buying from the states when I live in Australia?

Any help or recommendations would be appreciated!

hewed
Common Wiggler

Re: Eurorack New York City

Post by hewed » Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:38 pm

KurtKurt wrote:Hi!

We're going to New York in December this year,
I'm looking for some stores that sell Eurorack gear - specifically the Intellijel 7U 84HP case.
Also - side question - will it matter with the power supply buying from the states when I live in Australia?

Any help or recommendations would be appreciated!
Ctrl Mod in Brooklyn is where I'd go: https://www.ctrl-mod.com/

There's another seller about 15 minutes walk away in Williamsburg:
https://www.memeantenna.com/

I'd start with Ctrl Mod and go to meme antenna for anything you can't get at Control. The Control people have a broader selection and their setup lets you play with stuff more easily. They're also super friendly and approachable.

Unless you want a semi modular, there's nothing I ever found on Manhattan when I was there (until November last year). Some places in New Jersey.
More GAS budget than talent

Return to “Eurorack Modules”