Shuttle Control by Endorphines

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

LDT
The Modu-Lars

Re: Shuttle Control by Endorphines

Post by LDT » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:38 am

LDT wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:23 am
Wick wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:27 pm
shuttle control has been updated to cargo4 firmware anyone has a test drive on this update?
Ooh, I just read the notes on the new firmware. Very interesting. Will test.
Except, I just read that installation procedure does not work from mac os Catalina. Bummer.
-Lars

klick
Learning to Wiggle

Post by klick » Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:35 am

Being one of the developpers of the shuttle control, I can tell you the following :

1 - Half of the updates, are for standalone mode, for rythmic or random generation.

Expect to find most of the serge/buchla techniques for generating random gates, values, etc.

2 - another half, is for MPE generation, as I'm in love with touch controllers (sensel morph with thunder overlay, etc), and I was craving for a full mpe arpeggiator, able to do extremely expressive things, like changing enveloppes in real time (pulsers, buchla easel style), or dealing with wavefolders, etc for each of the notes.

About catalina, it's not that strict, let me details a little bit :

Even if our dev environment is based on windows, I'm using macs, and updates are tested with 10.11.6, which still allow a full control of what I can do on my machines.

On catalina, basicaly, there is many features, that prevent users to be in full control of their machines. This is quite problematic, as updates rely on external programmer softwares (ie, STMicro electronics flash tools), that still don't run on Catalina.

The best solution for catalina right now, is to use a VM, to flash from windows. This is what I'm doing on a daily basis, and it function perfectly.

I fully understand it's not the best for everyone, so I have the following in minds :

There a possibility to make things functionning with catalina, but I really don't want to updates my workstation right now, to not be stuck, as catalina really kills tools, that I need on a daily basis.

Anyway, I'm fully open, if one of you have time, to try things using teamviewer, or better : webex sessions, to try to upgrade your units, and create a technote for users that needs to upgrade on catalina.

This means the following :

- you are confortable to get one unknown man, quite young on MW :goo: , to take a remote control, with full privileges on your computer (you can get an email from endorphin.es domain to give some credibility to this )
- you have some time ahead.
- nothing being perfect, you accept that you may stay a few days without a fully functional shuttle control :bang: , if we need some extra code or backup solution. If it's your only unit, and you use it to work, :foul: you are not the proper candidate ;)

so, let's say it the harsh way, any guinea pig out there with time to kill, catalina, and curious to experiment ?

Please also keep in minds, that not being an english native speaker, your ears will likely bleed if we use a vocal chat, as I have a quite special pronunciation skills ;) (if you are a french speaker then all will be good )

Kind Regards.

Xavier.

Umcorps
Will patch for food

Post by Umcorps » Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:26 pm

Useful post Xavier.

What's going on (if anything) with getting the Continuum Mini to work with SC?

I reported that its not recognised as a device by the SC ages ago. Went to a lot of trouble to grab the way it announces itself on USB (as a Mac user there aren't the tools for doing that as there are on a Windows platform) and sent the log in to tech support.

Then radio silence. For months.

I hoped this version would fix it, but it doesn't.

klick
Learning to Wiggle

Post by klick » Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:45 am

Hi Umcorps,

Just double checked, I was in cc of the communication.

Anyway, as far as I can see, you never replied to last Andreas question about debug letters I added ;)
I'm sending you an email, we will continue via regular support channel.

Kind Regards.

klick

red
Common Wiggler

Post by red » Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:41 am

A simple update via USB would be useful!
It would be independent from any operation system...

This should be possible in 2020 8-)
red

klick
Learning to Wiggle

Post by klick » Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:36 am

Hi Red,

no it's not ;)

There is only one thing about usb updates, dfu mode.

Mac os, does not offer any facility or api, with a good enough level to flash most of the micro controller out there.
Currently, each of the micro controllers family (avr, stm32, ...), ship with their own flash tools.

For the vast majority of them, due to apple choices, their are not compatible with Catalina.

So I'm with you, that updates are a pain, but they are much easier on windows, were all the tools are well supported.

With that said, to give you a bit of taste :

I'm a mac user, and for development purposes on STM32, there not really a way to do this from mac os x, at least not with a tons of contraints, so I need to use vmware for anything.

Even the vendors of those dev environment, don't have any volontee to get things done on a mac, were the vendor (apple), close every possible open door that would let them do this.

USB updates are much easier without catalina, that's a sure thing.

If any of you, have knowledge that prove me wrong, I would love to hear from you via PM, we are more than willing to have easier upgrades :)

red
Common Wiggler

Post by red » Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:46 am

thanks for reply...

Not knowing the technical strukture - I was only thinking that Shuttle Control is an USB device like others - for example Keystep is easily able to update via USB.
red

monads
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by monads » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:28 pm

Updated to v4 here. No issues. I always get confused to reload settings (thinking SC needs to be in special receive mode) but you just have to use SysEx Librarian, select Shuttle Control and send!!! Looking forward to playing around later this week. Thanks to endorphin.es for continued development!!!!

Struggle
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Struggle » Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:31 am

I was going to sell my SC, but after updating to 4.0 and playing with it a bit I’m not so sure. The standalone mode is a great addition!!

Return to “Eurorack Modules”