Full Mutable Instruments Rack

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

guestt

Full Mutable Instruments Rack

Post by guestt » Wed May 13, 2015 2:01 pm

I'm totally fascinated (possibly mildy obsessive :love: ) by Mutable Instruments; depth, versatility, sound, that they're open source, etc..., and yes, looks too.

Of course I know there are loads of other great modules out there, I've read loads of posts about exploring a wider field and I also have visions of other systems, but I keep making racks in Modular Grid that contain only MI's modules. I've heard other folks say similar things here and there...

So i was wondering if anyone is having any fun with an exclusive (or near) MI system?

If so, would you share your racks, reasoning, sounds, photos or whatever you like? :cloud:

REVIVER
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by REVIVER » Wed May 13, 2015 2:21 pm

I feel like you've been reading my diary.

I've fallen in love with Mutable quite a bit over the last several years (starting back with a MidiPal) and have put in a bit of effort into moving to a primarily MI-centric system (housed in a Monorocket M6104). There's still a handful of functions that they haven't really developed as of yet (sequencer, mixer/output), so I've stuck with a few alternatives until they do.

My system right now:

Very happy with it as-is
Last edited by REVIVER on Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

XponentOne
Veteran Wiggler

Post by XponentOne » Wed May 13, 2015 2:38 pm

Hey save room for warps!

REVIVER
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by REVIVER » Wed May 13, 2015 2:41 pm

XponentOne wrote:Hey save room for warps!
Yeah, I've been thinking about that one....still undecided until I get to see/hear some more thorough demos (or maybe a Ben Hex preview???).

Elements has been a tough nut to crack, for me, as it takes up quite a bit of space for what it does. And I probably don't need two Clouds (but it does feel nice to have a pair), but one is used primarily for reverb duties.

Assuming I got rid of the Elements, I'd probably fill the space with a Sheep (again), a Ripples and a Warps.

mqtthiqs
Ultra Wiggler

Post by mqtthiqs » Wed May 13, 2015 2:58 pm

Baddcr wrote:I'm totally fascinated (possibly mildy obsessive love ) by Mutable Instruments.
Yup, I know how it feels. :roll: Have you followed the discussion about utility modules over at MI? Would eventually make a nice self-contained system. I'm also looking forward to the sequencer badly.
REVIVER wrote:My system right now:
No Frames? That's crazy! That quad LFO's hour has come I think, you should replace it by one (if not three) Frames. Jokes aside, nice setup!
REVIVER wrote: And I probably don't need two Clouds
I think you absolutely do :hihi:

REVIVER
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by REVIVER » Wed May 13, 2015 3:01 pm

mqtthiqs wrote:
REVIVER wrote:My system right now:
No Frames? That's crazy! That quad LFO's hour has come I think, you should replace it by one (if not three) Frames. Jokes aside, nice setup!
Oh, I've had Frames....probably twice, I think! Again, a little big for my system. I did enjoy it quite a bit, though. Especially using the quadrature mode as an oscillator (some gnarly stuff happening in there). I'd consider dropping one in again at some point. I'm certainly not against swapping modules in/out as needed, of course.

taintedsun
Wiggling with Experience

Post by taintedsun » Wed May 13, 2015 3:22 pm

REVIVER wrote:My system right now:.
No Tides? For shame!

rupertlally
Learning to Wiggle

Post by rupertlally » Wed May 13, 2015 3:31 pm

My sympathies - Mine's half MI at the moment - the wogglebug's probably going to go - got to have some space for Warps. I had a Grids and a Frames too at one point but sold them - Grids wasn't working for what I wanted it to do and Frames was wonderful but just too big for the amount it was used... An Audio damage Odio is next on my purchase list funnily enough...

ben_hex
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ben_hex » Wed May 13, 2015 3:41 pm

With the addition of a Serge Res EQ and 2HP kabel hanger from KOMA the top two rows of my new case will be 6U 114hp of Mutable :D

Think I'm going to grab a second peaks for a briefcase drum machine idea I have. At the minute it's all over the place RE cases and layout and sadly Warps has been no where near Clouds for some beautiful dual LED knob action.
All DivKid video series to be found here!
http://www.youtube.com/divkidvideo

Modular Meets Electric Spring 2020 - THIS SUNDAY FEB 23RD - viewtopic.php?f=43&t=226844

REVIVER
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by REVIVER » Wed May 13, 2015 4:14 pm

taintedsun wrote:
REVIVER wrote:My system right now:.
No Tides? For shame!
Truth be told, that's another that's popped in and out of my system no less than three times. When Sheep dropped, I found myself using it primarily as a sound source (which, to me, it really excels at). Never really clicked with it for modulation duties, however.

With that said, I've kept my Sheep panel for a reason....

windspirit
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by windspirit » Wed May 13, 2015 4:15 pm

mqtthiqs wrote:I'm also looking forward to the sequencer badly.
Ive been wondering when they would put out a sequencer, do you have a link to any info on that?

portervance
Wiggling with Experience

Post by portervance » Wed May 13, 2015 4:41 pm

People have mentioned the Bees in Trees firmware for the Braids can do some sequencing things. Fun to try in the meantime

Isomutable
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Isomutable » Wed May 13, 2015 5:10 pm

I'm with you! My 6U/104 skiff is 75% MI.

FYI on existing MI sequencers...Both Yarns and Peaks have some sequencing capabilities:

1. Yarns has a monophonic, 64-step SH-101 inspired sequencer mode.
2. Peaks has a 4-step and two step "mini-sequencer" feature in Alternate Twin & Expert modes.

But what I'm really hoping for is that Olivier creates some form of eurorack hardware implementation of his CycliC step sequencer concept ( http://mutable-instruments.net/cyclic)

setsun8
Common Wiggler

Post by setsun8 » Wed May 13, 2015 5:53 pm

windspirit wrote:
mqtthiqs wrote:I'm also looking forward to the sequencer badly.
Ive been wondering when they would put out a sequencer, do you have a link to any info on that?
It has been hinted at on the Mutable forums. http://mutable-instruments.net/forum/di ... modules/p2

mateo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mateo » Wed May 13, 2015 9:12 pm

This is the system I'm currently using, but I plan on going adding more MI when I can afford it

(edited to reflect current rack)
Last edited by mateo on Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wick
Common Wiggler

Post by Wick » Wed May 13, 2015 11:55 pm

my 3u set up i like it very much every module has multiple features thats why i took them as a first choice. Image
Last edited by Wick on Thu May 14, 2015 11:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

MrNovember
Ultra Wiggler

Post by MrNovember » Thu May 14, 2015 12:31 am

I'm really falling down the Mutable Instruments rabbit hole too. I can not wait to get my hands on an Elements

guestt

Post by guestt » Thu May 14, 2015 2:15 am

Wow, some great systems here - thank you for sharing!

Really interesting choices of complimentary modules. Many of them are about connecting to other hardware; I see an Analog Four perhaps?, Midi I/O and audio I/O.

The few bits I have I'm sequencing with an Octatrack, but I should also hook up the Analog Four - Mutable Instruments and Elektron gotta be a killer combination!

I'm still waiting for a case, as soon as it turns up, I'll post some photos :)

Anyone got any sounds?

thetechnobear
Wiggling with Experience

Post by thetechnobear » Thu May 14, 2015 4:39 am

Hi,
Ive not started down the modular rabbit hole yet, but the MI stuff, is drawing me in...in particular Elements, as its a more natural sound, started me thinking perhaps modular is my next 'thing' :)

Id love to hear more, on what people think would make a good starter system (with room for growth) based around the MI range, and what 'extras' would I need (if any) not from MI.

as I say I'm tempted by elements being the 'core', though its a large footprint, for a starter ... but perhaps the only way to get the natural/acoustic vibe I'm after?!

(I don't need controllers/sequencers, as Ive got that covered, at least initially, but will need to connect by both midi and CV)

REVIVER
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by REVIVER » Thu May 14, 2015 6:17 am

Baddcr wrote:Anyone got any sounds?
I generally don't post audio clips, but I had some fun with a 90% MI-centric patch last night.

Basically, the patch goes like this:

Peaks randomly modulating the tempo of Grids which is exciting Elements (gate & strength) and also driving a short sequence through the Microbe Meta, the only non-MI module in the patch which is controlling the pitch of the Elements.

Elements is then passing through Streams in the Lorenz Attractor easter egg mode (which is also being excited by Grids). Streams then passes through Clouds which is running in the Oliverb mode. Neither the Clouds nor the Elements are being modulated.

Full mix just dumps into L+R of my Odio and recorded directly into my iPhone.

All in all, pretty much just 5 MI modules and ~10 patch cables.

https://soundcloud.com/rev1ver/the-bells

guestt

Post by guestt » Sun May 17, 2015 2:47 pm

Very nice REVIVE!!

Here's something I did, not a full MI system as there's a DPO in there, but apart from that theres a Yarns, Tides, Streams and Links in there so the system is 80% MI ?? maybe not heheh

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/205927203" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]

And heres a description of what I did:

19" 84hp TipTop Happy Ending Kit - here's a ModularGrid:

www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/178899

Sequenced just using one pattern from the ARP on the Octatrack. The variation comes from an LFO on the number of octaves the arp covers and manually changing the number of steps. Some of the steps are switched off, which is where the longer notes come from.

Then Yarns in 4M mode and CV to:

a) DPO Osc B 1v/octave - Osc Normalled to Osc B in sync mode, gate to the Strike on the Fold

b) Tides 1v/octave in audio rate mode, gate to start

c) Two further gates to the two Excites on the Streams

Audio routings:

a) DPO Final to Streams in, out to Links mixed to Audio Interface and out to Octatrack

b) Tides Bi out to Streams in, out to Links mixed with (a) to Audio Interface and out to Octatrack

c) DPO square wave on Osc A to Audio Interface and out to Octatrack

Compression, Delay and Reverb all done on the Octatrack.

Tape saturation applied as an effect in Ableton after recording live.

Be gentle, this is my first track posted on MW and only my 5th or 6th wiggle on my own system :oops:

adam
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by adam » Sun May 17, 2015 3:12 pm

thats nice Baddcr :)

Ivo Ivanov
Sausage Wiggler

Post by Ivo Ivanov » Sun May 17, 2015 3:37 pm

I have a 12U Elite 416 case that's 100% Mutable - just waiting for two Warps and a second Clouds and it's full

Will post pics (and maybe video/audio at some point when I have time) once it's finished.

cold_fashioned
Common Wiggler

Post by cold_fashioned » Mon May 18, 2015 12:03 pm

thetechnobear wrote:Hi,
Ive not started down the modular rabbit hole yet, but the MI stuff, is drawing me in...in particular Elements, as its a more natural sound, started me thinking perhaps modular is my next 'thing' :)

Id love to hear more, on what people think would make a good starter system (with room for growth) based around the MI range, and what 'extras' would I need (if any) not from MI.

as I say I'm tempted by elements being the 'core', though its a large footprint, for a starter ... but perhaps the only way to get the natural/acoustic vibe I'm after?!

(I don't need controllers/sequencers, as Ive got that covered, at least initially, but will need to connect by both midi and CV)
I started building my modular with a lot of DIY, knowing I'd pick up some MI stuff because it's just so awesome. Never thought I'd get an Elements due to size & cost, but once I heard it, I decided to make it the centerpiece to my modest system. The sounds it makes were exactly what I was after, and nothing else sounds like it. I definitely need to spend more time with it to unlock the full potential, but I've had a lot of fun so far.

guestt

Post by guestt » Mon May 18, 2015 12:37 pm

Thanks adam :banana:

and :woah: 12u all MI Glitchmachines??? That's humbling - but I think I understand! Please do post pics/audio/video - I for one would love to see/hear it! I dread to think of the cost... but wow! Me likey!

I'm trying to decide whether elements is worth the space, I have a Nord Drum 2 and I keep thinking they are kinda similar, I know they're not, but some of the sounds I've heard are very similar!

Return to “Eurorack Modules”