Full Mutable Instruments Rack

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Agawell
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Agawell » Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:54 pm

oh and watch all the guide to modular videos stickied above... they'll help, but not as much as a disting - or whatever module you want to get to know

andybizarre
Wiggling with Experience

Re: basic starter set up

Post by andybizarre » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:16 am

Jeff max wrote:Hi there!

For a long time I use exclusivly vsts in Ableton......but I need to come "Out of the box" now ASAP.

I have no idea how to start this eurorack proyect of mine

I love the sounds and posibiliities of Mutable Elements, and want to build my own rack with and around it..

Could you guys help me get there? Its more the utilitie side of the set Up wich got me confused.

Have a look of an idea I have please..

Thanks un advance!!
Welcome to the forum!

Your rack is a typical beginner rack by the means that it features a lot of fancy audio modules and lacks utilities and modulation sources. My advice is, if you like Elements, buy it and learn it. It has attenuverters on each CV input, so you settled that. For a start, I would add a flexible modulator like Pam's New Workout, Erica Octasource or a Batumi. Before you start, you should have an idea about your sequencing.

Eme
Common Wiggler

Re: basic starter set up

Post by Eme » Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:20 am

andybizarre wrote:
Jeff max wrote:Hi there!

For a long time I use exclusivly vsts in Ableton......but I need to come "Out of the box" now ASAP.

I have no idea how to start this eurorack proyect of mine

I love the sounds and posibiliities of Mutable Elements, and want to build my own rack with and around it..

Could you guys help me get there? Its more the utilitie side of the set Up wich got me confused.

Have a look of an idea I have please..

Thanks un advance!!
Welcome to the forum!

Your rack is a typical beginner rack by the means that it features a lot of fancy audio modules and lacks utilities and modulation sources. My advice is, if you like Elements, buy it and learn it. It has attenuverters on each CV input, so you settled that. For a start, I would add a flexible modulator like Pam's New Workout, Erica Octasource or a Batumi. Before you start, you should have an idea about your sequencing.
This is actually very good advice. You'll never have enough modulation sources (nor VCAs!). If I had to start again from scratch, I would probably do what andybizarre says, just grab an Elements (make sure its kind of sounds suits you, though), a Pamela's New Workout and try to get the most out of it discovering what you miss the most.

digable-me
Veteran Wiggler

Post by digable-me » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:04 pm

With the arrival of Marbles it's really getting to the point at which a full Mutable system is looking appealing. I'd love see people's ideas for an all Mutable system.

If I had to make a one row system it would probably look like this:

guestt

Post by guestt » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:47 pm

Interested to see how everyone's MI racks have evolved since the release of Plaits, Marbles and now Stages!

Have you stuck with the older MI modules or gone all out on the new ones?

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:37 pm

Baddcr wrote:Interested to see how everyone's MI racks have evolved since the release of Plaits, Marbles and now Stages!

Have you stuck with the older MI modules or gone all out on the new ones?
My modular grew well beyond my original vision for a "Mostly Mutable Skiff" and evolved rapidly.

I started with Tides, Peaks and Rings.

I've also had Streams, Warps and Frames.

Now my "MI Row" is Marbles, Stages, Plaits, Rings and Shades -- and I feel all those modules are very safe unless I scale my modular size way down, and maybe even then.

Tides basically was displaced almost directly by Plaits and Stages. I respect that module a lot, but in my VCO-topheavy system I just wasn't giving it much attention anymore.

Peaks I left for O_C's Piqued, which I gave up for analog envelopes -- and now I'm weighing how many analog envelopes I want to replace with more Stages. :hihi:

I might pick up a Warps again; my wavefolder and TZFM game is strong now but I miss having it.

guestt

Post by guestt » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:41 pm

Cool!

interesting that you let Tides go, I didn't anticipate anyone ding this; mostly because of all the modulation possibilities. I don't have Stages, but I imagine that Tides still does many things it can't - or am I wrong?

Let me re-phrase that, is Tides fully represented in Stages?

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:01 pm

I'm frankly surprised I let Tides go too, as much as I had loved it for so long.

What Tides has that Stages doesn't, besides alternate firmware:

-- Wavefolder. Stages can slew itself though, so the left half of the "Brightness" control is represented.

-- Freeze input. There's no way to freeze Stages' time in mid-slope and then continue. (This is a feature I almost never used though.)

-- The "time independent of shape" paradigm -- great for LFOs/VCOs or maybe tempo-synced envelopes, but a bit bizarre for normal envelopes IMHO. Stages does have that in single-segment LFOs.

-- Bipolar output. I don't care, I've got offsets :) Also two simultaneous shape outputs, but you can get a very different and still cool variation of that by monitoring other stages' outputs.

-- Designed to be a VCO. Stages isn't really, though it can generate chiptuney, non-band-limited shapes at audio rates and track 1V/OCT with single-segment envelopes, and it can sound pretty decent through an LPG. :hihi: It can also be gated at audio rates and sample audio in its CV inputs

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:08 pm

I should also add that my letting go of Tides was in the context of the rest of the modular too, not just Plaits and Stages, though those pushed it over the threshold.

I had (and have) more sound sources overall than I honestly need, and E370, Hertz Donut and Double Helix can all do some crazy twisted LFOs.

guestt

Post by guestt » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:14 pm

Nice one starthief thank you for the summary :tu:

You made me realise that my Freeze input has gone mostly unused too... time to put that right :)

I understand what you are saying about other sources, for sure, I can see the rationale, you got to do what you feel is right!

Anyway, Tides was my first ever module so I have more than a strong attachment to it, so it will probably never go :cloud:

anosou
Wiggling with Experience

Post by anosou » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:37 pm

I'm definitely not letting go of Tides after getting Stages. I still have two Tides (one which alters between Sheep and Tides), and Stages was a great complement. I really like doing complex oscillator things with 2xTides. Putting them through warps, using PLL mode, syncing etc.

And when I'm happy with just a few voices, I use them for squiggly modulation instead. Tides is great at squiggling. :goo:
You can hear & see my modular noodling on YouTube.
You can find my rack at ModularGrid.
WTB: Original Mutable Instruments Tides faceplate. Will pay handsomely. Send me a PM!

Hanz
Analogue Avenger

Post by Hanz » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:53 pm

One of my 9U 104hp cases is distinctly headed into ‘full Mutable’ territory.
Essentially the other (mostly Intellijel) modules slowly got pushed out, leaving almost 2 rows of Mutable, 1 row of Make Noise and a few supporting bits...

With Marbles and Stages, the only modules whose fate I’m still pondering are Branches (will Marbles replace it entirely?) and 4ms RCD (considering Shakmat’s Time Wizard - but first have to see what Marbles and Stages bring in terms of clock trickery). Can’t fathom dropping Tides, even in favour of Plaits (which isn’t really calling my name, yet).

Last edited by Hanz on Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:52 am, edited 13 times in total.
“...I am merely a conduit, a kind of big hairy tool. I am just a plastic funnel connected to a Moog...”

Foghorn
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Foghorn » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:10 pm

I am slowly starting to change my 2 large cases into several smaller cases.
With a Mantis and a Make Noise steel CV bus case (well soon) and of course my Pittsburgh EP-96 case, I am starting to like the smaller systems.
I have thought of making a Mutable system maybe 2 times 104HP.
I present the Mutable Mantis.

I have all of these modules (except the Plaits and Stages which are on pre-order) plus a Grids.
I think it may need a Veils as the Streams is probably better used as a compressor.

So with Veils,

Yea, that is starting to look good.
And I can leave one Braids and the Grids in the percussion case.

Hmmm.. :hmm:
Powerful system.

Foghorn

PS Just started playing around with Marbles last night. :yay:

EDIT: picture gone
Last edited by Foghorn on Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not sure what's going on, but, well ah crap..what now?
.......Not really a musician.......

digable-me
Veteran Wiggler

Post by digable-me » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:37 pm

Those systems look cool but for me they are both too heavy on sound sources and too light in basic plumbing. I would probably ditch elements, get another stages, then add utilities like blinds, links, and kinks.

Nino
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Nino » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:51 pm

In some terrains Tides is still superior to Plaits imo, allthough it's not worth comparing those two at all.

jicamasalad
Common Wiggler

Post by jicamasalad » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:13 am

Fun thread!

One of the things that had kept me from Euro for so long was the mish-mash of makers/designs/layout/quality; when Olivier started building a line of useful and original modules, that was when I jumped in - so my instrument was always intended to be Mutables-only, derailed only slightly by my beloved System 500.

The Eventide is currently just an image placeholder, considering I ordered it in January and it's not due to ship until MAY! Looking forward to that!

The last two System 500 modules on the right will be the 555 and 505.

Stages should arrive any day!

Everything else is as it exists at this moment - it's wiggling as I type, in fact...

crickets sound best

Eme
Common Wiggler

Post by Eme » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:19 am

Damn. That's actually a great configuration, love it. :hail: I'd probably ditch the Edges for a Plaits or Warps, but the rest of it would remain as is... For a while.

jicamasalad
Common Wiggler

Post by jicamasalad » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:39 am

Eme wrote:Damn. That's actually a great configuration, love it. :hail: I'd probably ditch the Edges for a Plaits or Warps, but the rest of it would remain as is... For a while.
Thanks!

I love the immediacy of Edges - no menus or models, just a simple way to build tones and overtones. I could imagine replacing it with Plaits, but I sort of like that many people don't use Edges.

I really prefer to keep away from multi-function modules at this point - I had a couple of Distings for a while and they didn't agree with me at all; I came up on a Serge, so my mind is wired for "patch-programability", not state machines! I'm therefor a huge fan of the direction Olivier is taking with his new designs.

As I often say here on Muffs, what's fun about modular is that we all get to build the instrument that suits our tastes!
crickets sound best

Catchthehare
Common Wiggler

Post by Catchthehare » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:53 am

Here is what I am running at the moment. Not quite Mutable only, but I do have Tides on the side along with a handful of other bits I swap out from time to time. Just a matter of time before I add another case and this one becomes my Mutable rig Image

Foghorn
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Foghorn » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:14 am

digable-me wrote:Those systems look cool but for me they are both too heavy on sound sources and too light in basic plumbing. I would probably ditch elements, get another stages, then add utilities like blinds, links, and kinks.
Yea,
There is a links in those case designs, but what you speak of is probably why I will never do this, or (un)NOT.
It would be sitting on a table with the rest of my cases.

And, those are the M. I. modules that I presently have.

I guess I really just need to buy a big case, or NOT.

This is where most of my Mutable modules are right now.

Modgrid

Just don't have enough space.
Actually I did until someone made some more Mutable Instruments modules.

Foghorn

EDIT: Wait, hold the presses.
If I got an Intellijel 7U X 104 case then a bit of "housekeeping modules" would fit in the 1U row.

Good thing that a black 7U intellijel case is on its way soon.

Maybe this would work out OK

Modgrid 7U Mutable Intellijel
I'm not sure what's going on, but, well ah crap..what now?
.......Not really a musician.......

Eme
Common Wiggler

Post by Eme » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:45 am

I wonder if Olivier is planning on designing a case and offering some sort of full system, Make Noise style. Probably a lot of people wondered the same, I know, but with the new modules it feels kind of the right time.

REVIVER
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by REVIVER » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:18 am

Eme wrote:I wonder if Olivier is planning on designing a case and offering some sort of full system, Make Noise style. Probably a lot of people wondered the same, I know, but with the new modules it feels kind of the right time.
Nah. I highly doubt it. Olivier has mentioned in the past that he doesn't think Mutable stuff should exist in a Mutable-only vacuum.

I'm paraphrasing, probably, but something along those lines.

I got hung up on that mindset a few years back and have only recently broken that spell to allow more non-Mutable stuff into my world (i.e. Morphagene, General CV, etc). No regrets.

Doesn't mean that MI isn't my preferred Eurorack brand, because it most certainly still is!

There's just a lot of other stuff out there that can compliment MI modules as much as they compliment themselves.

filtermod
Wiggling with Experience

Post by filtermod » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:22 am

Eme wrote:I wonder if Olivier is planning on designing a case and offering some sort of full system, Make Noise style. Probably a lot of people wondered the same, I know, but with the new modules it feels kind of the right time.
That could be interesting. Case, or no case, I would love to see Mutable do some 1u modules in the Intellijel format.

guestt

Post by guestt » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:30 am

I think it's a nice idea too, although I would be unlikely to go for it.

My MI stuff is in a rare hand made Tweed Eastwick - it's beautiful and I think the aesthetic suits the MI modules very well :)

I say rare, I believe they are still available from London Modular, but last time I enquired they want £950 for a 6U with power.

MossGarden
Wiggling with Experience

Post by MossGarden » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:57 am

as of tomorrow, this will be me.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”