Anyone using a Radio Music as a simple drum sample player?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

waves_of_awesome
Wiggling with Experience

Anyone using a Radio Music as a simple drum sample player?

Post by waves_of_awesome » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:05 pm

I'm interested in using a Radio Music as a simple one-shot drum sample player, in a vanilla dance music sort of way.

I haven't been too happy with any of the euro kick modules I've tried, and was thinking I could just sample a bunch of kicks and load it into one and trigger them with my beatstep pro.

I've never used a Radio Music before, would this be straightforward enough?
Will I be able to scroll through samples smoothly without clicks/pops/cutting samples short? Is the audio quality going to leave me wanting?

Kummer
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Kummer » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:55 pm

I have not but I was told that it isn't an ideal use for the module and that there would be delay and inconsistencies.

If you want something to trigger samples then get a Grandpa from Bastl Instruments. That module is fantastic for triggering samples and it's got sound shaping capabilities as well. Can't recommend it enough.
I AM THAT I AM

Asym9
Common Wiggler

Post by Asym9 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:00 pm

I've been interested in this as well. Posting to subscribe to the thread.

taintedsun
Wiggling with Experience

Post by taintedsun » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:05 pm

Qu-Bit Nebulae can be used like you want, too.
Ambient/experimental/drone music: Tectorum Tapes, a digital/cassette label. Vol Three & Vol. Four features six Muffs users, 50 limited edition cassettes available here.

bobbcorr
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bobbcorr » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:13 pm

The Ladik D-333 ROM Player (4HP) sounds like it's what you want. You can choose the ROM you get with the unit, and also order additional ROM banks for a fee. There seem to be a number of drum choices, plus six (6) Amen break sets. Woot.

vailsy
Wiggling with Experience

Post by vailsy » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:00 pm

yeah I'd also heard the Radio Music is not good for that kind of application (although I've heard it being used for it's intended purpose and it is fantastic)

I've not found any good low hp/cost options yet with at least 44.1 sampling rate so I'm holding out for the 4ms sampler or if I have a windfall maybe an s0

I wish QuBit would come out with a 44.1 v2 or upgrade to the Nebulae, and make an/some expander module/s for the Nebulae allowing for real-time sampling and other things.. I think the Nebulae is fantastic and would love to see it developed further

noisejockey
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by noisejockey » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:36 pm

I've tried; it's definitely not easy. Can it be used percussively? Oh heck yes, it can do amazing rhythmic things. Despite the simple ideas (trigger to start sample, CV its start point), in reality I've found it really hard to control. But I've also gotten some amazing surprises out of it. I've got four banks of 30-60 percussive or short samples each, and letting LFOs and random sources and clocks have their way with it is a great counterpoint and addition to more traditional drum sequencing.

Maybe others have better CV magicks than I. :despair:

Tombola
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Tombola » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:36 am

Take a look at James' alt firmwares

https://github.com/jamescarruthers/Radi ... ltFirmware

milkyjoe
Ultra Wiggler

Post by milkyjoe » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:09 am

Hmm, doesn't the bastl grandpa only allow for triggering just 2 different samples ? Or can it actually have cv realtime control over different presets containing different samples ?

bradfromraleigh
Common Wiggler

Post by bradfromraleigh » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:15 pm

Just my 2 cents:

You can use the Radio Thing to trigger drum samples or any other sample but with not a lot of precision. You would never be able to program a drum loop with any sort of accuracy but with trigger sources and LFOs you can get some very interesting rhythmic patterns - drums or no drums.

waves_of_awesome
Wiggling with Experience

Post by waves_of_awesome » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:26 pm

Well the Drum Machine alt firmware is certainly interesting. Has anyone tried it?

L.C.O.
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by L.C.O. » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:29 pm

Tombola wrote:Take a look at James' alt firmwares

Has the number of files limit issue ever been resolved?

chapelier fou
Ultra Wiggler

Post by chapelier fou » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:28 am

waves_of_awesome wrote:Well the Drum Machine alt firmware is certainly interesting. Has anyone tried it?
Indeed ! I'll try asap but i would be interested as well for some feedback.

Tombola
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Tombola » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:38 am

L.C.O. wrote:

I haven't yet finished/released firmware that fixes that - it broke hot swapping (don't think the two were connected) and I haven't got round to polishing the code.

L.C.O.
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by L.C.O. » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:12 am

Tombola wrote:
L.C.O. wrote:

I haven't yet finished/released firmware that fixes that - it broke hot swapping (don't think the two were connected) and I haven't got round to polishing the code.
Thank you for the reply!
Any idea when the update with fixes might be available?
It would be very much appreciated!
:-)

pauk
Common Wiggler

Post by pauk » Tue May 24, 2016 3:22 am

hi guys, does anybody knows if James is in muffs?
would like to comment something about the drum machine firmware.
sounds pretty good but with the ability to scan thru different sounds via cv would be amazing.

vlk
Keeping it tender

Post by vlk » Tue May 24, 2016 5:18 am

milkyjoe wrote:Hmm, doesn't the bastl grandpa only allow for triggering just 2 different samples ? Or can it actually have cv realtime control over different presets containing different samples ?
I've used the grandpa like this and controlled it with an sq1. You can select the sample with cv and it can hold 36 samples. So definitely works as a full drum machine when paired with a sequencer. Only dowsnide is that the output is monophonic so can only play one sample at a time. Kind of like having all drum hits in the same choke group the way it cuts off. I think it sounds cool, but not ideal if you want to layer a snare on a kick for example.

Al
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Al » Tue May 24, 2016 6:34 am

I use a Radio Music for drum loops. The "limitation" is that the drum loop must be the master clock for my rig. I pair it with a Ladik envelope follower and get the master clock from the trigger output.

infovore
Wiggling with Experience

Post by infovore » Tue May 24, 2016 6:55 am

pauk wrote:hi guys, does anybody knows if James is in muffs?
sounds pretty good but with the ability to scan thru different sounds via cv would be amazing.
He has an account but I'm not sure how much he's around here. Perhaps submit a github issue on the repository?

mxmxmx
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mxmxmx » Tue May 24, 2016 7:09 am

infovore wrote:
pauk wrote:hi guys, does anybody knows if James is in muffs?
He has an account but I'm not sure how much he's around here. Perhaps submit a github issue on the repository?

i think you simply might want to check out the latest/official firmware. i fixed one for a guy i know the other day and noticed there's been some movement ... the changes will make it more suitable for one-shot stuff (lower latency); ... though "scanning" through the files will mostly nullify said improvements (those which have to do with SD/file operations).

Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Daisuk » Tue May 24, 2016 7:38 am

milkyjoe wrote:Hmm, doesn't the bastl grandpa only allow for triggering just 2 different samples ? Or can it actually have cv realtime control over different presets containing different samples ?
Yep. Works well for me. Also, the PICO drum by Erica Synths coming out soon too should be worth looking at. Allows for more and for better quality samples than Grandpa.

Varthdader
Common Wiggler

Post by Varthdader » Tue May 24, 2016 8:49 am

Hi!

Long time lurker, first post.

Check out Disting MKIII with it´s latest firmware, it does high quality sample playback.

Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos » Tue May 24, 2016 9:50 am

Not especially low latency though, IIRC...

milkyjoe
Ultra Wiggler

Post by milkyjoe » Tue May 24, 2016 10:09 am

It's such a bummer that no one seems to be willing to fix the latency issue with these modules. I have heard it is possible to fix multiple times, but no one does it(I wish I could code !). I suppose once I get rid of my radio music modules some one will fix it...

I wonder if people offered to make donations to some coder if we could finally get it fixed ? :despair: :despair:

mxmxmx
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mxmxmx » Tue May 24, 2016 11:02 am

milkyjoe wrote: I have heard it is possible to fix multiple times, but no one does it(I wish I could code !). I suppose once I get rid of my radio music modules some one will fix it...
have you read my post above? or tried the (new) firmware, for that matter? (new as in released-a-few-days-ago)

it should bring down the latency to well below 10ms in one-shot mode. (ie when playing the _same_ file over and over again). that's because, unlike before, this update gets rid of certain unnecessary file operations (like re-opening a file that's already been opened). in cases where you typically wouldn't even change the file-start position (percussive stuff), it could be brought down further; the block size (128) presumably could be reduced as well, which would further improve things (irrespective of what it is that you do).

Return to “Eurorack Modules”