WMD/SSF Spectrum VCO

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

Datathrash
Learning to Wiggle

WMD/SSF Spectrum VCO

Post by Datathrash » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:22 am

I'll be upgrading my LFO in next few months and this guy looks like a great option (with the benefit of also being a regular osc). I haven't found any talk about it on here so far. Thoughts?

WMD/SSF Collaboration Site: https://www.wmdevices.com/wmdssf.php

[this space for rent]

savethisrocketship
Veteran Wiggler

Post by savethisrocketship » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:46 am

Hah hah, two Spectrum questions in a row!

It's definitely a perfectly useable LFO - if you don't need tempo sync, reset, or a built in attenuator - or if you want the flexibility of a full featured VCO with your LFO. However, seems to me you could either find a more feature rich LFO for the money, or a comparable one for less (unless you really like the CRP/ESP waveform...), it also has the feature of CV over PWM which is nice and not standard on all LFOs I suppose. It's really well made, looks nice, but I feel like it shines as a VCO but is kinda ho-hum as an LFO.

Good luck!

schemawound
Common Wiggler

Post by schemawound » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:05 am

I have had a Spectrum for about a month now and love it as both a VCO and LFO. That said if what you really need is an LFO you might want to get something dedicated.
It's definitely a perfectly useable LFO - if you don't need tempo sync, reset, or a built in attenuator
Forgive my noobishness but wouldn't sending a trigger to the sync act as a reset or am I misunderstanding?

savethisrocketship
Veteran Wiggler

Post by savethisrocketship » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:26 am

^You are probably right, hadn't thought of that since I don't use mine as an LFO that often. :doh:

schemawound
Common Wiggler

Post by schemawound » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:31 am

savethisrocketship wrote:^You are probably right, hadn't thought of that since I don't use mine as an LFO that often. :doh:
I've always assumed it would work but never tested it out because I never use it as an LFO either :)

I will have to test it out now.

Datathrash
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Datathrash » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:40 am

Those are all good points. I do "mostly" need a more versatile LFO and the 6 simultaneous outputs really sounds like a good deal to me. I could also use a proper osc for those times that I'm not processing external audio or using cv controlled samples sooooo.... hmmmm. I'll start with the Spectrum and then add either a vco or lfo depending on which mode I like better. :miley:
[this space for rent]

sleepy_sloth
Common Wiggler

Post by sleepy_sloth » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:35 pm

I think it would be great as an LFO. Haven't tried out the sync input but the manual says it's a hard sync so it should completely reset when if you feed it a pulse. The CRP/ESP outs would be interesting for modulation too and it's always nice having unique flavors of waveforms readily available without having to use up mixers or logic.

As far as using it as a VCO it's rock solid and I love having the trimmer on the front of the panel in case tracking ever does get slightly off (it hasn't so far).

XponentOne
Veteran Wiggler

Post by XponentOne » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:45 pm

Yep sync resets - I really like it as an lfo, is v.useful. having so many waveshapes, a sub osc and fm/pwm, can get very different outputs from all the outs. Then couple it with a sequential switch (I just got a a151 and am addicted XD) and you can get some real craziness. Lack of attenuverter is a pain though but not so bad, I have other means to do it. I love it as an osc too - tracks great and sounds very solid.

eldradthemad
Common Wiggler

looks cool

Post by eldradthemad » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:17 am

so similar to all the others in the ins/outs dept. though. aside from the LFO aspect would it make a good drone osc?

monads
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by monads » Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:48 pm

So how well, or many octaves (+-) does this module track???

DSC
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by DSC » Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:58 pm

Full 8 octaves.
Best OSC in euro IMHO.

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:43 pm

monads wrote:So how well, or many octaves (+-) does this module track???
I tried one at Perfect Circuit in the keyboard case combo it was housed in and it only tracked about 2 octaves. If you are ever near there you should try one out. I think it was the case that it was housed in that made it handle such a narrow range perhaps.

monads
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by monads » Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:51 pm

DSC wrote:Full 8 octaves.
Best OSC in euro IMHO.
Awesome! Thanks for this insight Chris! MindMachine...what case was the unit demoed in to limit the range???

digitalganesha
Ultra Wiggler

Post by digitalganesha » Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:57 pm

This oscillator surprised the hell out of me. It sounds freaking awesome. The amount of features is incredible and I get solid tuning and tracking up and down the octaves of my French Connection. I calibrated my Macbeth Dual Osc a few months ago and the Spectrum was DEAD on with it. This is one of the best sounding OSCs out there.

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:01 pm

monads wrote:
Best OSC in euro IMHO.
Awesome! Thanks for this insight Chris! MindMachine...what case was the unit demoed in to limit the range???
It was this thing:
https://www.perfectcircuitaudio.com/mod ... skiff.html

Tiptop Studio Buss in there I see, so power was not the issue. Maybe the VCO just needed calibration. I was surprised by it's small range because I do not think I have seen one post where the Spectrum has not received top marks.

sellanraa
Common Wiggler

Post by sellanraa » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:25 pm

I'm also really happy with the Spectrum. Super crisp and I don't hear any drift. I got it to be the stable replacement for my Dark Energy oscillator when I didn't feel like taking it out and I couldn't be more pleased.

brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by brandonlogic » Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:59 am

the Spectrum is a really solid VCO.
i just picked up an ultrafold to go along with it and couldn't be happier with the combo!
sine wave from spectrum into the ultrafold input and triangle into the feedback at the same time sounds amazing!

i dont normally use it as a lfo because its my only analog vco and it sounds so good, i think using it for an lfo would be a waste! but it is perfectly capable of lfo duties too.

analogPedagog
Steady State Fate

Post by analogPedagog » Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:40 pm

MindMachine wrote:
monads wrote:
Best OSC in euro IMHO.
It was this thing:
https://www.perfectcircuitaudio.com/mod ... skiff.html

Tiptop Studio Buss in there I see, so power was not the issue. Maybe the VCO just needed calibration. I was surprised by it's small range because I do not think I have seen one post where the Spectrum has not received top marks.
How was the patch set up that you were working with?

NoSix
Common Wiggler

Post by NoSix » Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:54 pm

Have two of them and love them. As an LFO it does not go quite a low as a dedicated one, but for normal modulating duties and FMing it's awesome.

Edit: typo's

Kirk Degiorgio
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Kirk Degiorgio » Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:05 pm

totally concur with the positive comments… super stable and tracks accurately over several octaves for me. Also, stable and accurate does not = sterile, it's got bags of character too - especially the CRP/ESP outputs.

and yes, coupled with the Ultrafold, it's a beast.

I never use it in LFO mode - it's too good in regular Oscillator duties.

Kirk Degiorgio
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Kirk Degiorgio » Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:05 pm

totally concur with the positive comments… super stable and tracks accurately over several octaves for me. Also, stable and accurate does not = sterile, it's got bags of character too - especially the CRP/ESP outputs.

and yes, coupled with the Ultrafold, it's a beast.

I never use it in LFO mode - it's too good in regular Oscillator duties.

matttech
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by matttech » Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:10 am

+1

It's quality - as is all the range. Superb designs

Stevism
Common Wiggler

Post by Stevism » Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:19 pm

this is my only "analog" oscillator in my system and i love it. probably my favorite osc out of all the synths i own.

i have a small problem with one of my blue LEDs...wmd was great with service and offering repairs but since it is cosmetic i didn't want to bother them.

anyway great sounding thing and i love it

metaBit
Veteran Wiggler

Post by metaBit » Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:10 pm

Has anyone had any issues with their Spectrum where none of the buttons on the panel have any affect? I have a brand new one, and just plugged it in for the first time, and none of the panel buttons do anything, i.e., they don't change states as they should, don't affect the sound etc.

Pighood
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Pighood » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:57 pm

Anyone have both this and the Z3000 MkII? Care to compare/contrast?
*phnert*

Return to “Eurorack Modules”