Abstract Data - ADE-32 Octocontroller v1.1 Firmware upgrade

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

plutino
Learning to Wiggle

Post by plutino » Fri May 12, 2017 12:34 pm

Swing would be nice. Having it per channel is great. I'm imagining a button press + knob turn? I'd vote for the offset + phase knob combo to set shuffle time.

User customization would be awesome. (Or even open source so people could hack it with alt firmwares!)

Is there an expander in the works yet? Having some modulation points would be really cool.

Still a great module even without any of that though!

abstractjuz
Veteran Wiggler

Post by abstractjuz » Sat May 13, 2017 4:52 am

Hi @plutino
plutino wrote:Swing would be nice. Having it per channel is great. I'm imagining a button press + knob turn?
Yes - ideally it would be set in a very similar way to setting Clock Division and Offset.
plutino wrote:User customization would be awesome.
User customization is on the list - but not for the next revision and it will most likely be a separate/alternate Firmware version.
plutino wrote:Is there an expander in the works yet?
There is an issue that we've crammed so much into the current processor that we're now running really short on memory. That's a wall that - once you hit - you're done. There are still some options and I would still really like to do *some* type of expansion at some point - but the next Firmware revision has to take priority over that.
plutino wrote:Still a great module even without any of that though!
:tu:
Abstract Data: Instruments & Effects
http://www.abstractdata.biz

plutino
Learning to Wiggle

Post by plutino » Sat May 13, 2017 3:18 pm

Ah I see. Thanks for the reply!

Oh yea one thing I noticed after updating the latest firmware is that the white LEDs are almost always on. I measured and see they only go dark upon negative voltage and are lit at 0v. Is that intentional?

bengersfood
Wiggling with Experience

Post by bengersfood » Sat May 13, 2017 3:56 pm

plutino wrote:Ah I see. Thanks for the reply!

Oh yea one thing I noticed after updating the latest firmware is that the white LEDs are almost always on. I measured and see they only go dark upon negative voltage and are lit at 0v. Is that intentional?
I noticed that too. Makes trigger pulses rather hard to see.

abstractjuz
Veteran Wiggler

Post by abstractjuz » Sun May 14, 2017 5:26 am

plutino wrote:I noticed after updating the latest firmware is that the white LEDs are almost always on. I measured and see they only go dark upon negative voltage and are lit at 0v. Is that intentional?
The v1.0 Firmware had most of the Output Types set as bipolar +/-5V so the LEDs would display -5V as 'fully off' and +5V as 'fully on'.
As of v1.1 the Gates and Pulses went to unipolar 0-5V to bring them in line with Eurorack standards so the LEDs now display 0v as 'half on' and +5V as 'fully on'.

I admit this change makes it a little harder to see for some Output Types. This was discussed a lot during beta-testing but it was decided that if you need to set a specific timing or need to know what an Output Type is doing - you can also use the 12x Edit LEDs to show that and - as much as we all love the blinkenlights - you still have your ears to tell you what's going on with a patch.

I think, ultimately, people notice that 'something has changed' rather than it causing any real problems with their work flow - or creating music.

That's my 0.02 on that subject!

Chickonies
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Chickonies » Tue May 23, 2017 12:46 am

Hi abstractjuz.

I got the octocontroller last week. I love it++.

It may not be possible, but having a built-in way to attenuate the lfos, noise and maybe even the s/h cv would be super cool.

For the s/h cv, the option modes could be+/- 5 volts and 0-10 volts, and attenuation would lower the min and max in the former mode and lower just the max in the second.

Just spitballing.

esmeets
Ultra Wiggler

Post by esmeets » Tue May 23, 2017 4:41 am

Chickonies wrote:Hi abstractjuz.
but having a built-in way to attenuate the lfos
+1 :yay:

cryptogreen
Common Wiggler

Post by cryptogreen » Tue May 23, 2017 5:00 am

How does octocontroller compare with Pamela's New Workout?

davidjames
Wiggling with Experience

Post by davidjames » Tue May 23, 2017 10:05 am

I got the octocontroller last week. I love it++.

It may not be possible, but having a built-in way to attenuate the lfos, noise and maybe even the s/h cv would be super cool.

For the s/h cv, the option modes could be+/- 5 volts and 0-10 volts, and attenuation would lower the min and max in the former mode and lower just the max in the second.

Just spitballing.
The S&H CV already has the attenuation option. Hold the
'option' button and the CV is kept within 0-1V. Otherwise is +/- 5V. Agreed on the LFO's though. I keep a quad attenuator next to the Octo for now.

Jaypee
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Jaypee » Tue May 23, 2017 10:11 am

esmeets wrote:
but having a built-in way to attenuate the lfos
+1 :yay:
I asked about "skewing" the waveform in a recent e-mail, here is the answer about your question:

"and with regard to your question about 'skewing' the waveform - no, there are currently no plans to do any type of on-board modulation, I think features like that along with more utilitarian functions like Biasing and Attenuation are best handled by modules dedicated to that purpose."

Shwaj
Common Wiggler

Post by Shwaj » Wed May 24, 2017 11:41 am

cryptogreen wrote:How does octocontroller compare with Pamela's New Workout?
There's some discussion of PNW vs Octo in this thread:
Pamela's VS. Octocontroller

abstractjuz
Veteran Wiggler

Post by abstractjuz » Thu May 25, 2017 1:06 pm

Quick update since a few of you have been asking about new features/options recently.

Had the first proper discussions about the ADE-32 v1.2 Firmware with the developer last week - went really well and I'm excited about starting work on this.

Discussed - in no particular order:

- Swing/Shuffle
- Attenuation
- Skew/Lag/Transient Offset
- More/Different S&H CV types
- Ways of better visualising what was going on at the Outputs
- Ways of better visualising what Output Types/Options were selected
- Some nice little UI housekeeping changes to simplify/standardize editing/navigation

Can't promise that all/any of this is going to happen - but most of the major requests of the last year now have a place on the to-do list.

NoobOlar
Common Wiggler

Post by NoobOlar » Thu May 25, 2017 3:30 pm

abstractjuz wrote:Quick update since a few of you have been asking about new features/options recently.

Had the first proper discussions about the ADE-32 v1.2 Firmware with the developer last week - went really well and I'm excited about starting work on this.

- Swing/Shuffle
- Attenuation
- Some nice little UI housekeeping changes to simplify/standardize editing/navigation

Can't promise that all/any of this is going to happen - but most of the major requests of the last year now have a place on the to-do list.

Sounds promising... NICE!

Jaypee
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Jaypee » Sun May 28, 2017 3:37 pm

abstractjuz wrote:Quick update since a few of you have been asking about new features/options recently.

- Swing/Shuffle
- Attenuation

Amazing! Any chance to add Slew?

Nielsen
Common Wiggler

Post by Nielsen » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:58 am

I'm using the ADE-32 as my central clocked LFO, Gate & Pulse Output since it was released. Unfortunately, now I've got some serious sync issues. After a while (sometimes seconds, sometimes minutes) my ADE-32 gets out of sync with my clock source and won't resync automatically. When I restart my source, it works okay for some time, but in the end, my ADE-32 went asynchronous again.

With DIN the ADE-32 lost his sync after a few minutes, with an analogue pulse it takes a little more time.

I've double checked my all my cables, adapters and I've tried several clock sources (E-RM Multiclock, Analog Rytm, LFO). My other clocked devices stay in sync.

Anyone have an idea what the problem could be? Do you experience similar behaviours? Or is my module faulty?

abstractjuz
Veteran Wiggler

Post by abstractjuz » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:33 am

Hi @Neilsen
Nielsen wrote:I'm using the ADE-32 as my central clocked LFO, Gate & Pulse Output since it was released. Unfortunately, now I've got some serious sync issues. After a while (sometimes seconds, sometimes minutes) my ADE-32 gets out of sync with my clock source and won't resync automatically. When I restart my source, it works okay for some time, but in the end, my ADE-32 went asynchronous again.
I've just replied to the email you sent me directly with some basic troubleshooting steps to try and see what's causing this.
I can confirm there are definitely no known issues with clocking the ADE-32 under normal use and problems like this are generally down to something pretty simple .
I'm sure we'll get you sorted out.

SonicVoltage
Common Wiggler

Post by SonicVoltage » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:02 pm

Hi, any update on the new firmware?

abstractjuz
Veteran Wiggler

Post by abstractjuz » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:04 am

SonicVoltage wrote:

Currently looking like late 2017/early 2018.
I'd really like to have something in place for NAMM '18 - but that's about as specific as I can be right now.

SonicVoltage
Common Wiggler

Post by SonicVoltage » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:05 am

abstractjuz wrote:
SonicVoltage wrote:

Currently looking like late 2017/early 2018.
I'd really like to have something in place for NAMM '18 - but that's about as specific as I can be right now.
OK, thank you for the update!
Keep up the good work

CF3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by CF3 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:24 pm

Just wanted to say a BIG thank you to Justin @ Abstract Data.

I contacted him regarding a replacement panel for my ADE-32. I had every intension of buying one (I scratched the shit out of it...no fault of Abstract's). Instead Justin sent me one for FREE, and fast as hell to boot...from England!

Cheers :guinness:

Can't wait to see whatever a new OS will bring (and an expander!...please please please)

:bananallama:

mdiprima
Learning to Wiggle

Post by mdiprima » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:49 pm

abstractjuz

Today I switched on my case and the Octocontoller stopped working. All LEDs look normal the white ones are constantly lit (I did not update the firmware).

But the outputs do NOT output any signal.

Is there a reset procedure? Did I switch something off or on without noticing?

Non of the outputs produce any signal!

Any idea?

achida
Common Wiggler

Post by achida » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:25 am

Are you in EXT sync mode?
edit+option

mdiprima
Learning to Wiggle

SOLUTION

Post by mdiprima » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:06 pm

It was a very easy fix!

I had all the outputs muted. This was shown by the blinking blue light.

I unmuted each Output by simultaneously clicking the Edit and Offset buttons!!

Easy fix and a clear example of operator error.

thetwlo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Abstract Data - ADE-32 Octocontroller v1.1 Firmware upgr

Post by thetwlo » Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:58 pm

abstractjuz wrote: An updated manual, detailed installation instructions, a description of all new features and all files and can be found at: http://www.abstractdata.biz/ade32/firmware
All of the links to the firmware files appear to be dead now :hmm:

Did they move?
thanks!

abstractjuz
Veteran Wiggler

Re: Abstract Data - ADE-32 Octocontroller v1.1 Firmware upgr

Post by abstractjuz » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:22 am

thetwlo wrote: All of the links to the firmware files appear to be dead now :hmm:
Whoops! :deadbanana:

ADE-32 Firmware

That should all be fixed now - we have been making some changes to the site in preparation for the ADE50/51/60 launches - looks like some bits fell over while we were doing that!

Thanks for bringing it to my attention, please let me know if you need any more help.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”