Abstract Data - ADE-32 Octocontroller v1.1 Firmware upgrade

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

abstractjuz
Veteran Wiggler

Post by abstractjuz » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:19 pm

We've updated the Abstract Data YouTube and Vimeo pages with some 30 second module overview videos.

Here's an easily digestible, bite-size intro to our award winning Octocontroller!

[video][/video]

:tu:
Abstract Data: Instruments & Effects
http://www.abstractdata.biz

Bobbyr77
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Bobbyr77 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:39 am

Nielsen wrote:I'm using the ADE-32 as my central clocked LFO, Gate & Pulse Output since it was released. Unfortunately, now I've got some serious sync issues. After a while (sometimes seconds, sometimes minutes) my ADE-32 gets out of sync with my clock source and won't resync automatically. When I restart my source, it works okay for some time, but in the end, my ADE-32 went asynchronous again.

With DIN the ADE-32 lost his sync after a few minutes, with an analogue pulse it takes a little more time.

I've double checked my all my cables, adapters and I've tried several clock sources (E-RM Multiclock, Analog Rytm, LFO). My other clocked devices stay in sync.

Anyone have an idea what the problem could be? Do you experience similar behaviours? Or is my module faulty?
I know this was a while ago, but did you get to the bottom of this issue? I have the same thing happening, quite annoying. Other than that I love the ADE-32 and cant wait for 1.2

dbeats
Wiggling with Experience

Post by dbeats » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:39 am

I have my OC for about 6 months now and I am very happy with it - this module finds its way into almost every of my patches.

There is one issue, however: It seems to hangup after some time. I usually run an external tempo and reset input into it, and it stays perfectly in sync for hours and hours. But I tend to leave my rig running all night, and the OC eventually does not clock anymore. I can still rotate all other knobs and see the blue LED moving, but the module does not clock externally or internally anymore. This happens after like a day and night or so, cannot really tell the exact time, but it happens all the time. Only a shutdown and reboot of the case solves the problem, always. Disconnecting the clock and reset cables, for example, does not. It's not dramatic, but it looks like a little annoying bug, as all other modules in my rig keep running days and weeks with no issue.

Anyone else with this problem? Any comments from the manufacturer maybe?

Thx in advance!

rennerom
Learning to Wiggle

Post by rennerom » Wed May 02, 2018 10:30 pm

Bobbyr77 wrote:
Nielsen wrote:I'm using the ADE-32 as my central clocked LFO, Gate & Pulse Output since it was released. Unfortunately, now I've got some serious sync issues. After a while (sometimes seconds, sometimes minutes) my ADE-32 gets out of sync with my clock source and won't resync automatically. When I restart my source, it works okay for some time, but in the end, my ADE-32 went asynchronous again.

With DIN the ADE-32 lost his sync after a few minutes, with an analogue pulse it takes a little more time.

I've double checked my all my cables, adapters and I've tried several clock sources (E-RM Multiclock, Analog Rytm, LFO). My other clocked devices stay in sync.

Anyone have an idea what the problem could be? Do you experience similar behaviours? Or is my module faulty?
I know this was a while ago, but did you get to the bottom of this issue? I have the same thing happening, quite annoying. Other than that I love the ADE-32 and cant wait for 1.2
Curious too. I’m having the same problems with clocking. The Octocontroller is the heart of my system, so I’ve been pulling my hair out trying to find a solution :(

Bobbyr77
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Bobbyr77 » Thu May 03, 2018 5:12 am

rennerom wrote:
Bobbyr77 wrote:

Curious too. I’m having the same problems with clocking. The Octocontroller is the heart of my system, so I’ve been pulling my hair out trying to find a solution :(
at the time I posted this I was syncing the ADE-32 from a beatstep pro in the main, and getting regular issues, extremely frustrating. im now using Pams new workout to clock the ADE-32 and haven't had a problem at all using this, even if i clock pams from the BSP. Still no idea why it was happening though

rennerom
Learning to Wiggle

Post by rennerom » Thu May 03, 2018 9:48 am

Interesting. I’m using a BSP as a master clock too. I might try clocking through another module and syncing the Octocontroller that way. I’ve had luck sending a reset pulse ever bar, but that eats up cables and triggers.

Bobbyr77
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Bobbyr77 » Thu May 03, 2018 10:26 am

Hopefully that will work for you - good luck

Interested if there is an update on the 1.2 firmware - Abstractjuz?

abstractjuz
Veteran Wiggler

Post by abstractjuz » Fri May 04, 2018 2:15 pm

Hey all - I'm currently on site for Superbooth but I just wanted to check in quickly on some of the recent posts here.

First - for any support questions - absolutely the best and quickest way to get in contact is via email directly from our contact form.

With regards to the BSP timing issues @Bobbyr77 and @rennerom have asked about - I took @Nielsen's ADE-32 in for review, I ran every test I could to try to duplicate the issues he was seeing and I could not replicate the problem.

If either of you want to pursue this, I'm more than happy to look into it again - but please help me out by contacting me directly with some basic details of the issue, set up, procedure for reproducing etc.

Thanks,

Last edited by abstractjuz on Fri May 04, 2018 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

abstractjuz
Veteran Wiggler

Post by abstractjuz » Fri May 04, 2018 2:26 pm

Hi @dbeats
dbeats wrote:I have my OC for about 6 months now and I am very happy with it - this module finds its way into almost every of my patches.
There is one issue, however: It seems to hangup after some time.
My apologies for not replying to this - I've only just seen it and as I've just asked in my last post - for prompt tech support please get in contact directly via email or via the contact form on our site.

The issue you're describing is a first for me - I've never had anything reported like this in the years the ADE-32 has been on sale.

I would say that running your rig for days and weeks at a time is pushing towards the edge of what I would call normal use - and it is possible the problems are related to that.

If you're still having the issue - please get in contact directly and we can look at it in more detail and I'll do my best to help get you sorted.

Last edited by abstractjuz on Fri May 04, 2018 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

abstractjuz
Veteran Wiggler

Post by abstractjuz » Fri May 04, 2018 2:29 pm

Hi @Bobbyr77
Bobbyr77 wrote:Interested if there is an update on the 1.2 firmware - Abstractjuz?
Yes - there will be some 'official' news on that after I've gotten my schedule (and head... :zombie: ) back together after Superbooth.

Bobbyr77
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Bobbyr77 » Fri May 04, 2018 4:25 pm

abstractjuz wrote:Hi @Bobbyr77
Bobbyr77 wrote:Interested if there is an update on the 1.2 firmware - Abstractjuz?
Yes - there will be some 'official' news on that after I've gotten my schedule (and head... :zombie: ) back together after Superbooth.

Excellent stuff thanks for the update on this, look forward to the news, enjoy Superbooth! I will be in touch re the BSP Issue.

rennerom
Learning to Wiggle

Post by rennerom » Fri May 04, 2018 11:31 pm

Wow, talk about communication! In the middle of Superbooth and Justin still fields CS questions on a forum! All the more reason to contue to buy Abstract Data modules.I’ll be in touch via email after superbooth. Look forward to identifying whatever the timing issue may be. Thanks!

abstractjuz
Veteran Wiggler

Post by abstractjuz » Wed May 09, 2018 5:38 am

A few points from my support email to @Bobbyr77 regarding the 'slipping' issue a few of you are experiencing with the BSP...

1) Try the latest BSP firmware upgrade - I believe they have done some more work on internal timing and this might well help your situation.

2) Try running the BSP/ADE-32 sync at 4PPQ (1 Step) instead of 24 PPQ. We've never been able to prove or reproduce this - but there is a slim chance, that under certain circumstances - the ADE-32 might be mis-counting at the higher resolution 24 PPQ setting - particularly with a high jitter clock like the BSP. Dropping both back to 4PPQ might help this.

3) Hold out for the next ADE-32 firmware upgrade. I'll say more about this as we get closer to release - but we're hoping that the few little oddities like this will either go away or be significantly improved by this new version.

I'm sorry I can't currently be more help than that - even though this is a pretty rare problem, it is something I'm aware of and we are looking for causes and solutions.

HTH!

ngarjuna
Ultra Wiggler

Post by ngarjuna » Wed May 09, 2018 8:37 am

Just wanted to chime in here as I recently had a pretty prominent (and, in this case, useful) clock slip. As I was setting up the patch I noticed it and, in the context of the song I was working on, I ended up keeping it, totally flipped the beat in a cool and unexpected way (I was using the LOOPS to gate an ENV/VCA). I'll be happy when it's fixed but it's one of those happy accidents that made this track jump so I'm glad to have had this magical bug this time.

Here's some more information should it be useful. I'm not using a Beatstep Pro here. My Octocontroller is clocked via Silent Way clock using 24ppqn (I will definitely try 4 and see if that makes the difference, if it does that's fine with me). What's interesting is that my sequencer never loses a step (AD Sequencer One, which will likely provide the 4ppqn clock and reset as it provides them elsewhere already) and it's getting a mult of that same clock. Which, for completeness I should mention that it goes Silent Way Sync out via MOTU 828 to an active mult, from there it gets split to the AD S1, my Avalon and the Octocontroller (this is my minimum setup for the most part). Octo gets its reset from the S1 (stack-multed to Rene).

I haven't experimented yet to see if it's always happening at exactly the same time; from my above experience it seems that it didn't but it was within a couple bars of the same time...or maybe I wasn't paying enough attention. But what I did notice is that it seems like it always glitches by the same number of beats or whatever. Every time it did that it ended up with the same new rhythmic pattern not just various ones. So it would seem like a kind of repetitive behavior unless I just got really lucky.

If it would help you out I can run a few tests to try and see where/when it's happening on my system.

abstractjuz
Veteran Wiggler

Post by abstractjuz » Thu May 10, 2018 4:24 am

Hi @ngarjuna
ngarjuna wrote:My Octocontroller is clocked via Silent Way clock using 24ppqn (I will definitely try 4 and see if that makes the difference, if it does that's fine with me).
If it would help you out I can run a few tests to try and see where/when it's happening on my system.
I'd definitely be interested to hear if switching back to 4PPQ makes any difference for you.

As I've said - so far, we've not been able to reproduce any slippage at 24PPQ - but there is a suspicion here that that's where this issue might be.

Thanks!

Jaypee
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Jaypee » Thu May 10, 2018 9:56 am

What about the expander? Is this something we can hope to see?
:spin:
"Those aren't your daddy's waveforms " Cynthia Webster

ngarjuna
Ultra Wiggler

Post by ngarjuna » Sat May 12, 2018 3:37 pm

I've tried a few different tempos, project load, sync settings, everything...I can't get it to glitch today. Which explains why I thought I didn't have this problem (probably I usually don't).

I'll revisit that session where I was able to get it to reliably bug out and see if I can figure out what the difference might have been but it's looking a bit elusive here as well.

operator808
Common Wiggler

Post by operator808 » Wed May 23, 2018 5:04 am

'bout to sell my Octocontroller to build a Turing Machine and buy a Mutable Stages. Bad idea?

xx

Clystre
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Clystre » Wed May 23, 2018 4:00 pm

abstractjuz Will there ever going to be expanders for the octo, and what will they do?

abstractjuz
Veteran Wiggler

Post by abstractjuz » Thu May 24, 2018 4:56 am

Hi ngarjuna
ngarjuna wrote:I've tried a few different tempos, project load, sync settings, everything...I can't get it to glitch today. Which explains why I thought I didn't have this problem (probably I usually don't).
If you were having an issue where the ADE-32 appeared to slip out of time by an exact, reproducible clock measure - then, it's highly possible that, for that session - you might have accidentally given one or more of the Outputs an Offset.

Not arguing that a couple of people here aren't having other BSP/Timing issues - but from your description and my years of providing tech support for the ADE-32 - this is a very likely candidate.

Feel free to keep me posted though.

abstractjuz
Veteran Wiggler

Post by abstractjuz » Thu May 24, 2018 5:14 am

Jaypee wrote:What about the expander? Is this something we can hope to see?
Clystre wrote:Will there ever going to be expanders for the octo, and what will they do?
I'm hoping to have some more news on this in the next couple of months - but I can give you an update of where we are right now...

Expanders are something that we always wanted to try and build for the ADE-32 - but there was never any definite plans.

One of the challenges we faced was whether or not the microprocessor we use for the ADE-32 would be able to handle both the current feature set and expanders.

We've spent the last couple of months testing this very heavily. We've completely re-written most of the ADE-32 code to get it running as efficiently as possible and to bring in a lot of coding improvements from the ADE-33. The ADE-32 was always a very tight, very efficient module - I think we've improved on that.

We also wanted to make sure that the ADE-32 remained a fun, easy to use, intuitive module - there's no way we would ever hack stuff in just to make it fit and any developments had to bring real improvements.

Unfortunately though, right now, it looks like we can't guarantee that the extra processor and memory load required for expanders will run reliably on the current platform. We did really give it our best shot but we really are maxing out both the processor and the memory.

So - that's the bad news but there is some good news as well...

Re-writing the code has allowed us to make some significant back-end improvements (and fix a couple of obscure bugs), so we are looking at releasing a new version of the firmware (v1.2) - hopefully in the next couple of months. I don't want to say too much on this right now until things are more tightly locked in - but I think this will make the ADE-32 even stronger than it already is.

From there - we are already starting to look at a number of options for the future of the Octocontroller platform - but until then, I think this next firmware upgrade will put it in a really good place until we know what comes next.

I hope that info helps.

:love:

dbeats
Wiggling with Experience

Post by dbeats » Sun May 27, 2018 1:41 am

abstractjuz wrote:Hi @dbeats
dbeats wrote:I have my OC for about 6 months now and I am very happy with it - this module finds its way into almost every of my patches.
There is one issue, however: It seems to hangup after some time.
The issue you're describing is a first for me - I've never had anything reported like this in the years the ADE-32 has been on sale.

I would say that running your rig for days and weeks at a time is pushing towards the edge of what I would call normal use - and it is possible the problems are related to that.
After our nice conversation @superbooth about this problem, I rearranged my rigs and put the Octacontroller in a half-empty and half-open Doepfer P9 for testing purpose. It's been running nonstop for some weeks now with zero glitches or hangups, so this can be regarded sorted out. It most likely had to do with heat and/or load in a rig where all other (analog, less complex) modules didn't show any misbehaviour.

Thanks again for your help!

abstractjuz
Veteran Wiggler

Post by abstractjuz » Tue May 29, 2018 2:41 am

dbeats wrote:
abstractjuz wrote:Hi @dbeats
dbeats wrote:I have my OC for about 6 months now and I am very happy with it - this module finds its way into almost every of my patches. There is one issue, however: It seems to hangup after some time.
After our nice conversation @superbooth about this problem, I rearranged my rigs and put the Octacontroller in a half-empty and half-open Doepfer P9 for testing purpose. It's been running nonstop for some weeks now with zero glitches or hangups, so this can be regarded sorted out. It most likely had to do with heat and/or load in a rig where all other (analog, less complex) modules didn't show any misbehaviour.

Thanks again for your help!
Good to meet you at Superbooth - glad you got this sorted out.

rennerom
Learning to Wiggle

Post by rennerom » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:14 pm

abstractjuz wrote:Hi @ngarjuna
ngarjuna wrote:My Octocontroller is clocked via Silent Way clock using 24ppqn (I will definitely try 4 and see if that makes the difference, if it does that's fine with me).
I'd definitely be interested to hear if switching back to 4PPQ makes any difference for you.

As I've said - so far, we've not been able to reproduce any slippage at 24PPQ - but there is a suspicion here that that's where this issue might be.

Thanks!

I can attest to reconfiguring to 4ppq seems to have eliminated any issues I was having.

But, while I was trying to reproduce the timing problem I had, I could not point my finger to one specific issue at all. It’s left me puzzled. I would run a bass drum (BSP) and snare (Octocontroller) both on the same 4/4 beat for 10 min straight on 24ppq. No slipping. Then again for a another 10 min, while patching other modules without connecting them to the Octocontroller. Again, no slipping. But, when I would start adding modulation from the Octocontroller like sample and hold or arpeggios, then I would get slip where the Octocontroller trigger would fire late. There was no causal action I could link with this timing difference. Like, when I would sample and hold at fast rates or something. It was just when I started mixing gates/triggers with other aspects of its functionality. That being said, setting the clock to 4ppq hasn’t reproduced any timing problem yet!

DJMaytag
Ultra Wiggler

Post by DJMaytag » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:05 pm

I don't usually post "what about [insert module name] or [insert module name]?" type threads on FB or on here, but having done so on FB led me to purchasing an ADE-32 when it wasn't even anywhere on my radar. Thanks for the suggestion & persistence of my initial "seems like too much menu diving" response. While I do love the 1 knob per function of Vermona's Fourmulator, everything else packed into the ADE-32 solves a few problems I'm currently facing (clocking my Euro from a MIDI source, needing a non-DAW trigger source to Euro drums, and of course... syncable LFO's for various modulations I want to do).

Looking forward to getting this bad boy in the mail next week!
Instagram | Soundcloud | Wisco Wigglers

If you talk about improper grounding 3 times, Graham Hinton appears!” -djs

Return to “Eurorack Modules”