Abstract Data - ADE-32 Octocontroller v1.1 Firmware upgrade

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

abstractjuz
Veteran Wiggler

Post by abstractjuz » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:09 am

DJMaytag wrote:Looking forward to getting this bad boy in the mail next week!
Awesome :tu:
Abstract Data: Instruments & Effects
http://www.abstractdata.biz

operator808
Common Wiggler

Post by operator808 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:48 pm

operator808 wrote:'bout to sell my Octocontroller to build a Turing Machine and buy a Mutable Stages. Bad idea?

xx
So I didn't. I stuck with ADE-32 and I can say now I will never think of selling it again. I have one question though. Is there anyway it can output really slow LFOs considering the lowest on-board clock setting is only 20bpm?

xx

abstractjuz
Veteran Wiggler

Post by abstractjuz » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:06 am

Hi operator808
operator808 wrote:
operator808 wrote:'bout to sell my Octocontroller to build a Turing Machine and buy a Mutable Stages. Bad idea?
So I didn't. I stuck with ADE-32 and I can say now I will never think of selling it again.
That's great news :yay:
operator808 wrote:I have one question though. Is there anyway it can output really slow LFOs considering the lowest on-board clock setting is only 20bpm?
A 16 Bar LFO at 20BPM gives you a cycle length of just over 3 minutes.

There is a link between the tempo range (currently 20-270BPM), the maximum cycle/loop length (16 Bars) and the numbers and speeds the processor can handle.

There is also a link between (lower) tempos and the ability of the smoothing output filter to be able to do its job properly - and smooth, non-stepped LFO's was a huge priority for us back when we started developing this.

So we didn't just pick those top and bottom tempo ranges out of the air!

We are getting towards starting the last stage of v1.2 firmware development and one of the things we're looking at is taking in some tempo-related requests so, if there is interest in longer, slower LFO times I'll happily look at it - but please understand that this is an area where we do hit hardware limitations.

HTH :tu:

Nielsen
Common Wiggler

Post by Nielsen » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:30 am

abstractjuz wrote: We are getting towards starting the last stage of v1.2 firmware development and one of the things we're looking at is taking in some tempo-related requests so, if there is interest in longer, slower LFO times I'll happily look at it - but please understand that this is an area where we do hit hardware limitations.
Sometimes I'm doing droney Techno stuff and I like to modulate some parameters with slow but clocked LFOs from the Octocontroller. 32 bars is already slow, yes, but sometimes i wish there would be a 64 bar (or slower!) option. This would be really helpful for a later editing process in the DAW. Because you have already synced and easy to edit chunks to build a complete track out of your track. So I'm interested in this, yes. ;)

DJMaytag
Ultra Wiggler

Post by DJMaytag » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:58 am

Should a trigger out from a TR-08/TR-09 be sufficient to clock the ADE-32? I may be doing something wrong.

On the topic of LFO cycle time, I’d like 16 bars for a full cycle. 32 would be nice, but I rarely do anything that slow. If I absolutely needed something that slow (or slower), I could call the Expert Sleepers gear into action. Gotta fire up a damn DAW for that though.
Instagram | Soundcloud | Wisco Wigglers

If you talk about improper grounding 3 times, Graham Hinton appears!” -djs

operator808
Common Wiggler

Post by operator808 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:35 am

abstractjuz wrote:Hi operator808
operator808 wrote:
So I didn't. I stuck with ADE-32 and I can say now I will never think of selling it again.
That's great news :yay:
operator808 wrote:I have one question though. Is there anyway it can output really slow LFOs considering the lowest on-board clock setting is only 20bpm?
A 16 Bar LFO at 20BPM gives you a cycle length of just over 3 minutes.

There is a link between the tempo range (currently 20-270BPM), the maximum cycle/loop length (16 Bars) and the numbers and speeds the processor can handle.

There is also a link between (lower) tempos and the ability of the smoothing output filter to be able to do its job properly - and smooth, non-stepped LFO's was a huge priority for us back when we started developing this.

So we didn't just pick those top and bottom tempo ranges out of the air!

We are getting towards starting the last stage of v1.2 firmware development and one of the things we're looking at is taking in some tempo-related requests so, if there is interest in longer, slower LFO times I'll happily look at it - but please understand that this is an area where we do hit hardware limitations.

HTH :tu:
Thank you! Looking forward to firmware v1.2 (FTDI cable in tow).

xx

abstractjuz
Veteran Wiggler

Post by abstractjuz » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:47 am

Hi DJMaytag
DJMaytag wrote:Should a trigger out from a TR-08/TR-09 be sufficient to clock the ADE-32? I may be doing something wrong.
From the manual: "The ADE-32 will sync to the rising edge of an incoming signal between 20 and 270 BPM as long as the incoming clock is set to the correct resolution and is within the module’s tempo range. Under the latest firmware revision the ADE-32 will sync to external clock resolutions of 1, 4 or 24 PPQN."

So - yes, as long as both the TR-08/TR-09 is outputting a signal at the same PPQ/Resolution that the ADE-32 is set to (or vice versa!) and, for responding to stop/start functionality - you need to be running the current v1.1 firmware.
DJMaytag wrote:On the topic of LFO cycle time, I’d like 16 bars for a full cycle. 32 would be nice, but I rarely do anything that slow. If I absolutely needed something that slow (or slower), I could call the Expert Sleepers gear into action. Gotta fire up a damn DAW for that though.
16 Bars is the current maximum - so you're good to go on that one.

HTH! :tu:

abstractjuz
Veteran Wiggler

Post by abstractjuz » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:52 am

Hi Nielsen
Nielsen wrote:Sometimes I'm doing droney Techno stuff and I like to modulate some parameters with slow but clocked LFOs from the Octocontroller. 32 bars is already slow, yes, but sometimes i wish there would be a 64 bar (or slower!) option. This would be really helpful for a later editing process in the DAW. Because you have already synced and easy to edit chunks to build a complete track out of your track. So I'm interested in this, yes. ;)
Just to be clear - we're looking at the option of adjusting the tempo range. Currently that is either lowering the top and bottom ranges to give longer times at the lower end or capping the upper range so the Tempo knob becomes a little more precise.

Changing maximum bar length is not on the list - we've re-written pretty much every line of code for v1.2 to make sure it's as optimised as it can be and we're already pushing the processor as far as we can.

Maybe for ADE-32 MK2 :hihi:

InsectInPixel
Common Wiggler

Post by InsectInPixel » Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:00 pm

Hi Folks,
Today has been an upgrade day of sorts. I upgraded my Disting MK3 and it's been unsuccessful for unknown reasons. (Different thread)
To get some feeling of accomplishment, I upgraded the firmware on my Braids to "Bees in the Trees" version. Success!
Then to my surprise, i received my TTL-232R-5V cable https://amazon.com/gp/product/B00XRCT66 ... UTF8&psc=1 in the mail. And upgraded my Octocontroller. It was very straight forward and easy to do.
I make UnderBridge for the Elektron Analog Keys. https://youtu.be/dowAKQkFAE0

cowboy
Learning to Wiggle

Post by cowboy » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:19 am

I can't tell from reading the manual - What does the "1 & 2" mean in "Pulse 1 & 2" and what's the difference between "Gate 1 & 2" and "Gate 3 & 4"? I really don't understand. Thanks!

Countcowden
Common Wiggler

Post by Countcowden » Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:09 pm

Page 9 of the manual tells you the differences at least it does in the 1.1 version of the manual.

Option on gives you 1 style of pulse / option off gives you a second style of pulse - different durations of pulse essentially.

Same for gates only four different gates available with different lengths.

cowboy
Learning to Wiggle

Post by cowboy » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:47 pm

Oh, that's weird. I wonder why Gate isn't a single Output Type with 4 different durations that can be cycled through by pressing the Option button.

Another question: I know the phase can be offset with a knob, but is there any way to change the shape of the generated envelopes? For example, could the attack or decay parts of the sine wave be changed between log, linear, and exponential? Or can the waveform be skewed at all?

abstractjuz
Veteran Wiggler

Post by abstractjuz » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:33 am

cowboy wrote:I wonder why Gate isn't a single Output Type with 4 different durations that can be cycled through by pressing the Option button.
Each Output Type has an Option. The Option is either On or Off. The only Output Types where you use the Option button to cycle through are Arpeggios and Loops. For the majority of Output Types - this makes it much easier and quicker to get to where you need to be on the interface.
cowboy wrote:Another question: I know the phase can be offset with a knob, but is there any way to change the shape of the generated envelopes? For example, could the attack or decay parts of the sine wave be changed between log, linear, and exponential? Or can the waveform be skewed at all?
No - the Octocontroller isn't an Envelope Generator and LFOs e.g. Sine, Triangle, etc. don't have an Attack or Decay portion. Two very different animals.

However - if you're looking to create more rhythmic or complex modulation sources - you can do that by setting up two Outputs as different LFOs - both using different waveforms and different tempos. Using one as the input of a VCA and using the second, via an attenuator, as the CV source of the VCA. Here - your output will be one LFO who's amplitude is modulated by the other. That will give you a complex modulation source that is also tempo synced.

:tu:

rayultine
Veteran Wiggler

Post by rayultine » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:21 am

abstractjuz wrote: No - the Octocontroller isn't an Envelope Generator and LFOs e.g. Sine, Triangle, etc. don't have an Attack or Decay portion. Two very different animals.
come on, boss! Ramp and Tri can easily be used as simple EGs! They aren't CV controllable, but they can work :P

cowboy
Learning to Wiggle

Post by cowboy » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:42 pm

abstractjuz wrote:No - the Octocontroller isn't an Envelope Generator and LFOs e.g. Sine, Triangle, etc. don't have an Attack or Decay portion. Two very different animals.
To be fair, given the number of things the Octocontroller product page says it does, it doesn't seem at all unreasonable for a user to think it could also generate envelopes ;)

(Maybe it should!)

gimber
Wiggling with Experience

Post by gimber » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:50 pm

cowboy wrote:
abstractjuz wrote:No - the Octocontroller isn't an Envelope Generator and LFOs e.g. Sine, Triangle, etc. don't have an Attack or Decay portion. Two very different animals.
To be fair, given the number of things the Octocontroller product page says it does, it doesn't seem at all unreasonable for a user to think it could also generate envelopes ;)

(Maybe it should!)
Only a clock and reset input, how do you imagine envelopes working here?

cowboy
Learning to Wiggle

Post by cowboy » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:26 pm

gimber wrote:Only a clock and reset input, how do you imagine envelopes working here?
The envelope would loop. A sine wave is just a mathematical curve that oscillates. Triangle, sawtooth, ramp, even square wave (gate) are all mathematical formulas that generate a periodic oscillation. In the Octocontroller, they all oscillate at the frequency of the clock divider.

So if you think about the envelope being "triggered" at each division of the clock, and if the math for the envelope rise + fall equalled the total time of the clock division, you'd basically have an LFO. But with a potentially different shape.

To use the 4ms PEG as an example, let's say you want to modulate a VCA, but instead of the smooth volume swell in and out of a sine wave, you want it to be very quiet and then all of a sudden swell quickly, and then recede just as quickly. You'd be looking for a shape more like that in the 10-o'clock position in this image:

The same general logic applied to a square wave could yield PWM. Or ramp/sawtooth waves could have an exponential or logarithmic curve, leading to more interesting options.

Either way, just some ideas for adding even more LFO waveform variety to this already-amazing module :D

abstractjuz
Veteran Wiggler

Post by abstractjuz » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:32 am

Thought some of you might be interested in a quick little v1.2 development update...

@abstractdatabiz on...

Facebook

Instagram

Twitter

abstractjuz
Veteran Wiggler

Post by abstractjuz » Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:58 am

I'm looking for a few good people to help with one part of UI/UX beta testing on the forthcoming v1.2 Firmware upgrade for the ADE-32 Octocontroller.

If you're an ADE-32 owner with...

* A suitable USB-FTDI cable
* Arduino IDE installed on a decent computer
* An interest in running a few specific tests and reporting back

...then please get in contact!

rennerom
Learning to Wiggle

Post by rennerom » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:01 pm

I seem to have solved my BSP/Octocontroller slipping issues with setting 4ppq on the BSP. But more importantly, the slip I seemed to find problematic arose from starting and stopping the BSP without resetting the Octocontroller, so it would pick up where it paused, even though the BSP was starting with a fresh bar.

This seems to present a new issue I’ve found with reset. When I send a rest trig to the Octocontroller after stopping my BSP, and then start again, I get a weird stutter in the first bar, then it returns to normal timing, but now out of phase. Like if I had a bass drum from the BSP on 1 and 3, and a snare from Octocontroller on 2 and 4, they’ll end up both on 1 and 3 together. Both on 4ppq and 24ppq. (On 4ppq, it’s almost a bar late, but it’s more like the “a” of “4 e and a”)

abstractjuz
Veteran Wiggler

Post by abstractjuz » Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:17 am

Hi @rennerom
rennerom wrote:I seem to have solved my BSP/Octocontroller slipping issues with setting 4ppq on the BSP.
Current advice for anyone having troubles with the BSP at 24PPQ is to use 4PPQ (1 Step). We are still looking at this issue - but so far we've not been able to reproduce it.
rennerom wrote:But more importantly, the slip I seemed to find problematic arose from starting and stopping the BSP without resetting the Octocontroller, so it would pick up where it paused, even though the BSP was starting with a fresh bar.
I don't think that's possible. Under the current Firmware, when the ADE-32 stops receiving external clock - it is also Reset. When you re-start the clock, it is always starting from Bar 1 Beat 1. To check this yourself - you can count off how many times the Bar LED flashes until it shows a longer 'end of loop' flash - that will always be 16.

Don't forget that the BSP can be Stopped/Started from the 'start' or from where it left off. So - if you're starting the BSP where it left off then it won't be in sync with anything that has been reset.

Simple solution - make sure you're starting the BSP from Bar 1, Beat 1.
rennerom wrote:This seems to present a new issue I’ve found with reset
Simple solution - from your description above - you don't need to use reset. That's what's causing this issue.

rennerom
Learning to Wiggle

Post by rennerom » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:41 am

Thanks! That’s good to know about auto reset after clocking stops. Clearly my first assumption was wrong. I’m looking forward to the new firmware, and if any changes help syncing with a BSP. After reading through this posting again, someone alluded to clocking issues arising only after manipulating cv outs. I’m not sure how that is linked, but it’s the only thing that’s correlated with my slipping as well. Sending a simple drum pattern (kick and snare from BSP and hi hats from Octocontroller) only slips after I start using cv outs for other destinations. I’ve been painstakingly deliberate in make sure I don’t accidentally mess with the trigger outs at the same time. But that is the only instance where I notice slip. But that has yet to occur as described when clocked at 1bar (mistakenly typed 4ppq above).

On another note, I’ve found while synced to BSP at both 24ppq and 1 bar, when I turn on my system the triggers/gates are stuck on after I’ve started the clock from the BSP. Like if a 4/4 bass drum was triggered from channel one pulse 1&2, gate 1&2, or gate 3&4, channel one would just output gate high. I end up twisting an output type, clock div/mult or phase knob until it starts going, and set the make to their original value. I tried to let it run and see if it returned to normal operation after a few seconds or minutes before touching it, but even at 5 minutes left alone, the triggers were still stuck on high. I will try to replicate this using the Octocontrollers internal clock, but have yet to try. Any thought? Your wizardry advise is much appreciated!

abstractjuz
Veteran Wiggler

Post by abstractjuz » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:27 am

rennerom wrote:On another note, I’ve found while synced to BSP at both 24ppq and 1 bar, when I turn on my system the triggers/gates are stuck on after I’ve started the clock from the BSP.
I suspect what you're seeing here is not that the output is 'stuck' but that the LED just isn't turned off 100% in the Gate's Low state - this is normal.

The reason for this is that the LEDs need to display a voltage range from -5V (Fully Off) to +5V (Fully On) and as of v1.1 Pulses/Triggers/Gates are Unipolar - i.e. they run between 0V (Low) and +5V (High) and therefore 0V (Low) is indicated by an LED which is basically 'half on'.

rennerom
Learning to Wiggle

Post by rennerom » Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:28 pm

abstractjuz wrote: I suspect what you're seeing here is not that the output is 'stuck' but that the LED just isn't turned off 100% in the Gate's Low state - this is normal.
Not the LEDs, but the a actual trigger. Sorry if I didn’t say that outright, but the gate is actually stuck open/on. I sent it through another mult with unipolar on/off LEDs and an ADSR to confirm. Once I get everything running again it’s no longer an issue, but only when I fire up the case after it’s been powered off.

abstractjuz
Veteran Wiggler

Post by abstractjuz » Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:06 am

Any users that have had issues with syncing the ADE-32 to the Arturia BSP at 24PPQ and want to take a beta firmware release for a test drive - please contact me directly via Abstract Data.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”