Abstract Data - ADE-32 Octocontroller v1.1 Firmware upgrade

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, Kent, Joe.

EliphasOfCascadia
Common Wiggler

Post by EliphasOfCascadia » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:49 pm

Im encountering a bug (I believe) where I cant select the 32/8 or 64/16 clock divs on outputs 1, 6, and 8. Is this a common issue? I cant seem to find anyone else reporting it yet
"If there is something comforting - religious, if you want - about paranoia, there is still also anti-paranoia, where nothing is connected to anything, a condition not many of us can bear for long."

EliphasOfCascadia
Common Wiggler

Post by EliphasOfCascadia » Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:04 am

z
"If there is something comforting - religious, if you want - about paranoia, there is still also anti-paranoia, where nothing is connected to anything, a condition not many of us can bear for long."

abstractjuz
Veteran Wiggler

Post by abstractjuz » Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:50 am

EliphasOfCascadia wrote:Im encountering a bug (I believe) where I cant select the 32/8 or 64/16 clock divs on outputs 1, 6, and 8.
Certain Output Types i.e. S&H, Arps, Loops have a Clock Division limit of 16/4.
If you assign any of those Output Types to an Output - the longest Clock Division you will get on that Output is 16/4.
Is it possible that's what you're seeing?
Abstract Data: Instruments & Effects
http://www.abstractdata.biz

22tape
Ultra Wiggler

Post by 22tape » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:53 pm

21hertz wrote:Update to v1.1 went well. :)

...here's some ideas for any expander modules:
- Global swing/shuffle for the tempo! (or per channel)
- Individual input resets for all channels
- Individual CV inputs for clock division/multiple for all channels
Up from the dead!

Did any of these features get implemented? I'm most interested in the swing/shuffle. if it is implemented, it'd allow me to sell my shuffling clock to make room for it :) If not, no octocontroller :waah:

PS, I don't have the space to mix clocks externally to give me swing/shuffle.

:guinness:

Mndscrpt
Common Wiggler

Post by Mndscrpt » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:07 pm

soo.... update??? :miley:

Carmelo_P82
Common Wiggler

Post by Carmelo_P82 » Fri May 03, 2019 4:19 pm

hi guys
I'm about to buy this module (or quad LFO / Modulator) but it looks like there a sync issues. Can you please tell me if it has been solved ?
Thank you :)

savethisrocketship
Veteran Wiggler

Post by savethisrocketship » Fri May 03, 2019 7:42 pm

As someone who has had one since they were originally released and is still running the OG firmware:

I’ve never experienced a sync issue when used as specified by AD, I think people have wanted to use other methods of sync (24ppq, etc) for use with other gear/specific applications and that is maybe where issues occur - I think these may have been addressed in later FW revisions but I don’t know off the top of my head - I’m sure if you go back in this thread it will be mentioned.

dbeats
Wiggling with Experience

Post by dbeats » Sat May 04, 2019 6:47 am

Carmelo_P82 wrote:hi guys
I'm about to buy this module (or quad LFO / Modulator) but it looks like there a sync issues. Can you please tell me if it has been solved ?
All I can say is that I've never encountered anything that could be described as sync issues with my module in two years. The firmware v1.1 fixes one single bug "where pulses would not trigger at clock divisions greater than 16 || 4", maybe that's what you are referring to?

batch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by batch » Sat May 04, 2019 12:20 pm

dbeats wrote:
Carmelo_P82 wrote:hi guys
All I can say is that I've never encountered anything that could be described as sync issues with my module in two years. The firmware v1.1 fixes one single bug "where pulses would not trigger at clock divisions greater than 16 || 4", maybe that's what you are referring to?
I have two running latest firmware that’s have had since they came out.

No issues whatsoever. Wonderfully reliable module.
FS: Erica Synths Hi-Hats D $175, Cymbals $175, Stereo Mixer v2 $100, Intellijel 1U Pedal IO $70, MIDI $110, Rebel Tech Bit Reactor $95

Mndscrpt
Common Wiggler

Post by Mndscrpt » Sat May 04, 2019 5:04 pm

me neither.
That beeing said - sometimes modules react differently on reset signals. Happens to me when syncing voltage block and ade-32 with tempi.

Carmelo_P82
Common Wiggler

Post by Carmelo_P82 » Wed May 08, 2019 6:24 am

Glad to read this.
Is there a way to see if mine which came today already has the lastest firmwire installed ?

Thank you :)

savethisrocketship
Veteran Wiggler

Post by savethisrocketship » Wed May 08, 2019 8:08 am

If you purchased new then it almost certainly does (the last update was a long time ago), but if it’s secondhand then I am not sure.

abstractjuz
Veteran Wiggler

Post by abstractjuz » Wed May 08, 2019 12:26 pm

Carmelo_P82 wrote:Is there a way to see if mine which came today already has the lastest firmwire installed ?
Your module has the current v1.1 firmware - as do all modules shipped after mid-2016 when this version was released.
The manual also has a list of 'New Features' for this version. If you have the new features - you have the newest version.

defalut
Common Wiggler

Post by defalut » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:52 am

I´m so longing for the new firmware - any small idea on when it might be available?
Not that i actualy need it, i just want it. A small hint, perhaps?

Also, this module has so much potential so i really have high hopes for the update. Like, what about the expansion ports? What to do with them? Will there be an expander for it maybe?

I´ve actually been close to selling mine but something is telling me NO, hold on and wait, it will be rewarded. I´ve used other modules a bit more since i had them longer and already knew how to use them, so a bit of overlap there between Pamela f.ex.
But the octo i think has so much more, it´s just that.. i need to spend more time with it, caress it, cajole it, circumvent the surface and find the gemstones.

Help me hold on to it, promise me something sweet! :love:

abstractjuz
Veteran Wiggler

Post by abstractjuz » Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:51 am

Hello @defalut
defalut wrote:Im so longing for the new firmware - any small idea on when it might be available? Not that i actualy need it, i just want it. A small hint, perhaps?

Also, this module has so much potential so i really have high hopes for the update. Like, what about the expansion ports? What to do with them? Will there be an expander for it maybe?

I´ve actually been close to selling mine but something is telling me NO, hold on and wait, it will be rewarded. I´ve used other modules a bit more since i had them longer and already knew how to use them, so a bit of overlap there between Pamela f.ex.
But the octo i think has so much more, it´s just that.. i need to spend more time with it, caress it, cajole it, circumvent the surface and find the gemstones.

We don't currently have a launch date for the v1.2 firmware. It is taking us a lot longer to get this built than we ever anticipated - but I can assure you that we are working on it as much as we can with the resources available.

The new firmware is not going to be all about shiny new features and added extras - it will primarily be about taking what the ADE-32 does well and doing that a bit better. A big part of the time this version has taken has been down to getting every single line of code running as efficiently as possible to ensure the next version of the firmware is the best yet.

I would say that the current v1.1 firmware does everything it was intended to do and, with the exception of one obscure bug (which we've fixed in v1.2) and an issue relating to 24PPQ sync that has only affected a very small number of users (which - we believe - is also fixed in v1.2) - it does it very well.

Expanders - unfortunately that one is not going to happen with the current iteration of the Octocontroller platform. It was always something we had hoped to do but, by the time we started working on v1.2 we realised there was no way the processor was going to handle a new firmware revision and the extra functionality of expanders. We tried.

Having said all that - there is a small shopping list of potential new feature ideas that have been kicking round for a while now and as we finish off the last of the v1.2 back-end coding and interface work - we can start looking at the possibility of adding a couple of shiny new things.

HTH :tu:

defalut
Common Wiggler

Post by defalut » Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:49 am

abstractjuz wrote:Hello @defalut
defalut wrote:Im so longing for the new firmware - any small idea on when it might be available? Not that i actualy need it, i just want it. A small hint, perhaps?

We don't currently have a launch date for the v1.2 firmware. It is taking us a lot longer to get this built than we ever anticipated - but I can assure you that we are working on it as much as we can with the resources available.

The new firmware is not going to be all about shiny new features and added extras - it will primarily be about taking what the ADE-32 does well and doing that a bit better. A big part of the time this version has taken has been down to getting every single line of code running as efficiently as possible to ensure the next version of the firmware is the best yet.

I would say that the current v1.1 firmware does everything it was intended to do and, with the exception of one obscure bug (which we've fixed in v1.2) and an issue relating to 24PPQ sync that has only affected a very small number of users (which - we believe - is also fixed in v1.2) - it does it very well.

Expanders - unfortunately that one is not going to happen with the current iteration of the Octocontroller platform. It was always something we had hoped to do but, by the time we started working on v1.2 we realised there was no way the processor was going to handle a new firmware revision and the extra functionality of expanders. We tried.

Having said all that - there is a small shopping list of potential new feature ideas that have been kicking round for a while now and as we finish off the last of the v1.2 back-end coding and interface work - we can start looking at the possibility of adding a couple of shiny new things.

HTH :tu:
Hi there,

thanks for explaining. I´m a little bit disappointed but i appreciate the honesty - and i know, i tend to build up my expectations too high and then usually feel thoroughly let down when they dont meet reality. But nowadays, i´m aware of the fact - and lowering the expectations tend to be better in the end.
Too bad about the expanders, but sometimes there´s no point adding them. Maybe you realise some use for them later on, maybe not.

Anyway i´m looking forward to the update and i hope i can use the module more in my music than before; i´ve really had no time for it or for making music for a long while now - having a tiny thing called daughter crawl all over me and screaming for attention whenever i´m home disrupts the creativity a bit. ;)

michaeljohnson
Common Wiggler

Post by michaeljohnson » Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:06 pm

Waiting on mine to arrive, looking well forward to it! :bananaguitar:
drums check ... one two

gummyboy
Wiggling with Experience

Post by gummyboy » Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:33 am

All the knobs range don't go over 2nd or 3rd selection.
e.g. I can't select out 3-8. The knob only select out 1 and out 2 even with all the way CW.
TYPE knob can only select first 3 types.
It just happened all of sudden. I tried with 4 different cases. It's all the same.
Anyone has same problem?

Below is the video
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xjoo445nnkc9j ... 2.MOV?dl=0

Big thanks

gummyboy
Wiggling with Experience

Post by gummyboy » Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:50 am

After some hours of powering on, "output:select" goes up to 5th selection and "output:type" goes up tp 7th selection

dBVelocity
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Abstract Data - ADE-32 Octocontroller v1.1 Firmware upgrade

Post by dBVelocity » Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:26 am

I personally find scrolling to each channel via a knob a bit less smooth than say hitting a dedicated channel button..I had kind of hoped an expander would provide at least more direct channel access in this way. Though I would see the channel select knob gaining dust from such a feature.

The individual swing and resets are welcome ideas for the firmware here, I might suggest a way to adjust/ attenuate the amount or depth of each channel and or perhaps a slew amount for stepped outputs. Anyway it's good to see there is a firmware in the works and I'll be holding on to the two in my system.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”