Moog goes Eurorack:Satan complains of sudden chill Mother-32

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Pampalini
Common Wiggler

Post by Pampalini » Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:40 pm

Jason Brock wrote:
Pampalini wrote:
Jason Brock wrote:Maybe this has already been answered, but does anyone know what the built-in PSU supply rating is? The manual doesn't say.

I found where it says the module draws 230mA from only the positive rail and zero from the negative side. But I'm wondering if I use the case and PSU for other modules, what is the +/- current available?
I don't think the built-in power is Eurorack compatible. It can only power the Mother itself.
Hmm, weird since the module can be put into a Euro system.
It has two power connectors. One for its own case and one for Euro racks.

Jason Brock
just visiting

Post by Jason Brock » Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:46 pm

Pampalini wrote:
Jason Brock wrote:
Pampalini wrote:
Jason Brock wrote:Maybe this has already been answered, but does anyone know what the built-in PSU supply rating is? The manual doesn't say.

I found where it says the module draws 230mA from only the positive rail and zero from the negative side. But I'm wondering if I use the case and PSU for other modules, what is the +/- current available?
I don't think the built-in power is Eurorack compatible. It can only power the Mother itself.
Hmm, weird since the module can be put into a Euro system.
It has two power connectors. One for its own case and one for Euro racks.
Ahh, OK. I can see why they might want to use a proprietary connector to prevent people from :eurosmoke: and claiming a warranty repair.

kf6gpe
Common Wiggler

Oh, wow, is this so much fun.

Post by kf6gpe » Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:08 pm

My Mother 32 came on Wednesday, but I didn't have time to set it up until tonight. It's my first foray into modular synthesis aside from Reaktor (which I love!). Manual's a little daunting; I see the need for a lot of experimentation this weekend.

So far the deaf cat is happy (she can sleep next to the Moog on the Yamaha electronic piano I'm using as a MIDI source) and the hearing cat is unhappy. That's progress!

Mr. Pete
Common Wiggler

Post by Mr. Pete » Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:32 pm

Excellent Cat post amigo
Another thing I noticed too was the name Mother32.
my 2¢ is that the moogerfooger/motherFooker 'thing' has been a thing for a long time before euro came along, so wouldn't read too much into it

Has anybody been comparing the Mother32 to the Werkstat? Seems like the closest relative in the product line…
You can call me, "PETE"
https://petedako.bandcamp.com/music
@petedako on Twitter/FB/Instagram

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:40 am

Mr. Pete wrote: my 2¢ is that the moogerfooger/motherFooker 'thing' has been a thing for a long time before euro came along, so wouldn't read too much into it
That is incorrect. Way incorrect. As far as the timeline goes.
FS: SP-555 Sampler, Pedals, ASol SQ8 - CHEAP!!!
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... 4&t=227738
WTT: my Mangler for your Rumour

Vsyevolod
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Vsyevolod » Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:43 pm

Mr. Pete wrote:Has anybody been comparing the Mother32 to the Werkstat? Seems like the closest relative in the product line…
They are identical circuitry and they sound quite alike. Of course the Mother just takes it so much further. I have two of each and am working with having both my M-32's have two oscillators.

Stephen

Mr. Pete
Common Wiggler

Post by Mr. Pete » Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:44 pm

hmm, maybe so… but to be clear I'm just talking about the
moogerfooger' pun/name not anything about 3.5mm vs 5U
I thought they were older quick but a quick google search just now said the first Moogerfooger came out in 1998
and here's muffwiggler's timeline for eurorack viewtopic.php?t=68605&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
MindMachine wrote:
Mr. Pete wrote: my 2¢ is that the moogerfooger/motherFooker 'thing' has been a thing for a long time before euro came along, so wouldn't read too much into it
That is incorrect. Way incorrect. As far as the timeline goes.
You can call me, "PETE"
https://petedako.bandcamp.com/music
@petedako on Twitter/FB/Instagram

kenosis
Common Wiggler

Post by kenosis » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:22 am

Roy72 wrote:
kenosis wrote:Roy72,

IMHO, the PGH Outs is not so useful unless you are looking to use the headphones, an attenuator and a 1/8" to 1/4" patch cable does a pretty similar job. I'd get the mixer, see if works for you and go from there. I wanted more stereo options as well as headphones, so I am waiting for a Circuit Abbey Unify to turn up.
I decided to go that route after researching a bit more. This is my current proposed rack. I have the two bottom rows except for the Mysteron and the third row is what I'm tossing around. What do you think about the mixer and the quad vca? Will those suffice for the non mother aspects of the rack? Still waiting on my Moog cases. Ordered in November!!

OHEXOH
Common Wiggler

Post by OHEXOH » Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:56 pm

I think that's a good move

truckasaurus
Common Wiggler

Post by truckasaurus » Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:25 pm

kenosis wrote:
Roy72 wrote:
kenosis wrote:Roy72,

IMHO, the PGH Outs is not so useful unless you are looking to use the headphones, an attenuator and a 1/8" to 1/4" patch cable does a pretty similar job. I'd get the mixer, see if works for you and go from there. I wanted more stereo options as well as headphones, so I am waiting for a Circuit Abbey Unify to turn up.
I decided to go that route after researching a bit more. This is my current proposed rack. I have the two bottom rows except for the Mysteron and the third row is what I'm tossing around. What do you think about the mixer and the quad vca? Will those suffice for the non mother aspects of the rack? Still waiting on my Moog cases. Ordered in November!!

If you haven't purchased the uzeus's yet you should consider swapping them out with 4ms row powers. That way you could daisy chain the power modules and run them off of a single power supply.

Personally, it would bug me having three separate wall warts to deal with.

kenosis
Common Wiggler

Post by kenosis » Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:23 pm

If you haven't purchased the uzeus's yet you should consider swapping them out with 4ms row powers. That way you could daisy chain the power modules and run them off of a single power supply.

Personally, it would bug me having three separate wall warts to deal with.[/quote]

I thought the 2 u zeus modules were the only option due tto having two separate moog cases. I think it would bug me as well, but unfortunately I already bought them.

Waz
Wiggling with Scurvy

Post by Waz » Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:59 pm

YAY!!!

whinger
Wiggling with Experience

Post by whinger » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:06 pm

Waz, looks brilliant!
Currently saving up for my second one.

Waz
Wiggling with Scurvy

Post by Waz » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:16 pm

whinger wrote:Waz, looks brilliant!
Currently saving up for my second one.
Thanks. It really plays well as a threesome if you have an outboard mixer. It misses some features I wish it had.... Or maybe I'm just too new to having them I just don't know wtf I'm doing. Example; They don't really play nice as a 3 voice unit when using one as a monitoring unit with headphones. The "mixer" mixes the signal before the VCF and VCA. I don't quite know how to patch these so I can listen to all 3 using one of the headphone jacks on the back. I'd like a standard mixer with no FX in the signal path. Aside from that and the SUPER clumsy UI, these things sound awesome. There is no sound like it that I've experienced in my eurorack. Warm, fat, classic are just a few words to describe the sound.

whinger
Wiggling with Experience

Post by whinger » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:30 pm

Waz wrote:Thanks. It really plays well as a threesome if you have an outboard mixer. It misses some features I wish it had.... Or maybe I'm just too new to having them I just don't know wtf I'm doing. Example; They don't really play nice as a 3 voice unit when using one as a monitoring unit with headphones. The "mixer" mixes the signal before the VCF and VCA. I don't quite know how to patch these so I can listen to all 3 using one of the headphone jacks on the back. I'd like a standard mixer with no FX in the signal path. Aside from that and the SUPER clumsy UI, these things sound awesome. There is no sound like it that I've experienced in my eurorack. Warm, fat, classic are just a few words to describe the sound.
Oh, I didn't realize that, interesting. Shame they didn't offer a solution for that as they obviously knew people would be using more than one.

I think I'll be alright as my usage will end up being as a standard 2 osc monosynth, making up for a sound that I'm missing in my set up (that classic Moog sound). And yes, I completely agree with you about the warm sound, super happy with it.

Pampalini
Common Wiggler

Post by Pampalini » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:30 pm

whinger wrote:
Waz wrote:Thanks. It really plays well as a threesome if you have an outboard mixer. It misses some features I wish it had.... Or maybe I'm just too new to having them I just don't know wtf I'm doing. Example; They don't really play nice as a 3 voice unit when using one as a monitoring unit with headphones. The "mixer" mixes the signal before the VCF and VCA. I don't quite know how to patch these so I can listen to all 3 using one of the headphone jacks on the back. I'd like a standard mixer with no FX in the signal path. Aside from that and the SUPER clumsy UI, these things sound awesome. There is no sound like it that I've experienced in my eurorack. Warm, fat, classic are just a few words to describe the sound.
Oh, I didn't realize that, interesting. Shame they didn't offer a solution for that as they obviously knew people would be using more than one.

I think I'll be alright as my usage will end up being as a standard 2 osc monosynth, making up for a sound that I'm missing in my set up (that classic Moog sound). And yes, I completely agree with you about the warm sound, super happy with it.
There's a second mixer on the patch bay that you can use. It's just a VC mixer and doesn't run through the audio chain (VCF -> VCA).

whinger
Wiggling with Experience

Post by whinger » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:33 pm

Nice, thank you Pampalini. I read the manual but it was a lot to take in at once. Obviously I need to revisit it.

Pampalini
Common Wiggler

Post by Pampalini » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:34 pm

whinger wrote:Nice, thank you Pampalini. I read the manual but it was a lot to take in at once. Obviously I need to revisit it.
You bet :)

Waz
Wiggling with Scurvy

Post by Waz » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:41 am

Pampalini wrote:
whinger wrote:

There's a second mixer on the patch bay that you can use. It's just a VC mixer and doesn't run through the audio chain (VCF -> VCA).
When I had the other two patched into it the signal was being controlled dynamically by the vca or vcf. I'll give it a go again tonight to see if I was just spacing. I couldn't get that little 2 channel mixer to act in a traditional way.

Pampalini
Common Wiggler

Post by Pampalini » Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:03 pm

Waz wrote:
Pampalini wrote:
whinger wrote:

When I had the other two patched into it the signal was being controlled dynamically by the vca or vcf. I'll give it a go again tonight to see if I was just spacing. I couldn't get that little 2 channel mixer to act in a traditional way.
That shouldn't be. Make sure you're patching the signals into mix 1 and mix 2, and that nothing is patched into the mix cv jack.

buzzbuzz
Common Wiggler

Post by buzzbuzz » Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:15 am

Hi all!
After a brief stint in my main case I need to put the mother back into her enclosure but I can't for the life of me remember where/which way the connectors go. The manual, while excellent, isn't very clear on how to put it back.
Could anyone shed some light on this?

Vsyevolod
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Vsyevolod » Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:21 pm

The power connection is two wires and can't be put in backwards, green on the left, black on the right. The five wire audio connection has white on the right, again, the connectors can't be reversed regardless of which end of the cable you put where.

Stephen

buzzbuzz
Common Wiggler

Post by buzzbuzz » Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:24 pm

Thank you Stephen!

starf
Common Wiggler

Post by starf » Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:04 am

So I got M32 more than 2 weeks ago. At first I bought it just because it was available at a local shop with 30 day money back guarantee because I was curious about "that Moog sound". Days flow by and now I'm thinking about keeping it.

Reason is I just cannot get that great sounding PWM square out of my modular system. I compared my DPO square with M32 and the Moog is much more rich in harmonics. Also I cannot squeeze out such great chorusy PWM out of my DPO + Function combo (or Braids). At first I wanted to buy AJH Minimod VCF upon returning the Mother but I'm starting to realize that this is a really well tuned piece of kit.
I never thought I'll ask this question here but... should I keep it? I guess I should. :hmm:

Mercutio
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Mercutio » Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:16 am

Hi,

I have issue with the external audio input...sound is really weak even with modular level (VCO-2RM)...

Am i alone ?

Return to “Eurorack Modules”