Moog goes Eurorack:Satan complains of sudden chill Mother-32

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

keyofsalvador
Common Wiggler

Post by keyofsalvador » Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:09 am

Mercutio wrote:Hi,

I have issue with the external audio input...sound is really weak even with modular level (VCO-2RM)...

Am i alone ?
I'm running a Pittsburgh Oscillator (v1) into the external input, and it seems to be working as expected. With the mix control set right in the middle, the internal and external oscillators are very close in level. This depends on which waveform I'm using, though. A square wave from either source sounds louder than a saw from either source.

Mercutio
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Mercutio » Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:47 am

Thank you, a friend reported me this and i fastly triy his unit last week... maybe i didn't use correctly the mixer but if i remenber with the mixer knob fully CW, sounds was weak too.... i will check with him

jkaczmarek
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jkaczmarek » Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:28 pm

I'm experiencing a [b]slightly[/b] weaker sound in the external audio in as well. I even inserted a Deeper A-119 between the sound source and the external audio input in order to ensure that I was sending in 10V. Any ideas?

blooma116
Learning to Wiggle

Post by blooma116 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:54 am

Apologies if this is off-topic/already been mentioned, but.... In regards to this thread title, I don't think Moog doing modular is that out of the ordinary. However, hell would truly freeze over before they released a poly synth. IMO the Mother 32 has got too much going on, and I hate that it's all hard-wired... the patch bay is a bit overwhelming. For example, I wish the osc outputs were next to the freaking oscillator. Saw the Brother at Moogfest and thought it was way cooler than the mother. I would rather buy a couple Moog oscillators or if they released their famous filter with the Sub 37-style slope switch; having cv control over that would make for a dope module. Maybe a dual oscillator eurorack module? Moog's take on the DPO/Complex Oscillator, with the variable waveform control in lieu of timbral shaping? How dope would that be. Did Moog anticipate the can of worms they opened by starting down the eurorack wormhole? It's going to be interesting seeing the direction Moog goes into the future. They seem to be mostly conservative as far as their product line goes, and I don't blame them. What's popular in the synth world can be fickle to say the least.

amnesia
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by amnesia » Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:50 am

Funny that. I watched a Mark Verbos interview on Sonic State and he was saying the same thing about the jacks should be near the actual knobs.

I have been using my euro, serge, buchla etc system for about 13 years now and do not find the Mother 32 layout to be a problem at all. Sure the first time you are searching about but just like anything you get use to it.

I think its a great system (I have 3x Mother 32's = Mother 96) and really am quite impressed with it. You basically get something close to a MiniMoog meets a System 55.

The sequencer, although fiddly is great to play ( improv) on

[video][/video]

dkbax
Common Wiggler

Post by dkbax » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:41 am

Pampalini wrote:
Waz wrote:
Pampalini wrote:
whinger wrote:
Waz wrote:Thanks. It really plays well as a threesome if you have an outboard mixer. It misses some features I wish it had.... Or maybe I'm just too new to having them I just don't know wtf I'm doing. Example; They don't really play nice as a 3 voice unit when using one as a monitoring unit with headphones. The "mixer" mixes the signal before the VCF and VCA. I don't quite know how to patch these so I can listen to all 3 using one of the headphone jacks on the back. I'd like a standard mixer with no FX in the signal path. Aside from that and the SUPER clumsy UI, these things sound awesome. There is no sound like it that I've experienced in my eurorack. Warm, fat, classic are just a few words to describe the sound.
Oh, I didn't realize that, interesting. Shame they didn't offer a solution for that as they obviously knew people would be using more than one.

I think I'll be alright as my usage will end up being as a standard 2 osc monosynth, making up for a sound that I'm missing in my set up (that classic Moog sound). And yes, I completely agree with you about the warm sound, super happy with it.
There's a second mixer on the patch bay that you can use. It's just a VC mixer and doesn't run through the audio chain (VCF -> VCA).
When I had the other two patched into it the signal was being controlled dynamically by the vca or vcf. I'll give it a go again tonight to see if I was just spacing. I couldn't get that little 2 channel mixer to act in a traditional way.
That shouldn't be. Make sure you're patching the signals into mix 1 and mix 2, and that nothing is patched into the mix cv jack.
He must be using the VC mixer. And this is quite helpful actually. As someone who is starting a modular system and has no VCAs yet, all I´m using is the M32 mixer. Using the VC mix as a second mixer could be quite interesting and allows me another audio channel out of the Moog!
No, but seriously

amnesia
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by amnesia » Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:17 am

Also noticed my friend had a new M32 and the faceplate is still black but its similar to the Buchla faceplates with the thin vertical lines finish.

TINCT
Common Wiggler

Post by TINCT » Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:42 pm

Just about to pick one of these up and will have a more thorough read of the manual then. However was wondering if someone could answer a question:

Can see from the manual that it's possible to have a custom pattern length, and the manual discusses creating an 8 step pattern.

However is it possible to have a 12 step pattern for example? Or is it only by multiples of 8?

dumbledog
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dumbledog » Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:20 pm

Nah you can do 12, 7, 29 whatever.

TINCT
Common Wiggler

Post by TINCT » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:12 am

dumbledog wrote:Nah you can do 12, 7, 29 whatever.
Perfect, thanks!

Rafi
Common Wiggler

Post by Rafi » Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:44 am

Love mine, had to pinch myself when she arrived at my doorstep :headbang:

Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:01 pm

I received mine today, my first Moog, and first analog synth, and first foray into semi-modular.
I have been playing all afternoon with it, running it through a tape echo and an Eventide Space and all I can say is woah.

Should be back here shortly for more info :guinness:
Last edited by Tumulishroomaroom on Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TXBDan
Common Wiggler

Post by TXBDan » Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:41 am

Cool. I think its worth patching up the patches in the back of the manual. They're a good basic survey of some ideas.

I've recently been on a kit using the LFO to control the Mix so i can make a bass/beat and a noise snare rhythm.

The filter as a sine oscillator is nice.

The LFO can be cranked up to higher frequencies with CV, but it doesn't track very well unfortunately. Cool sounds over an octave though.

I just built up my first module to go with it, a Befaco Rampage. Just waiting on my case to arrive!

Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:01 pm

I was thinking about this as a goal to expand the Mother :

Lower row being another full voice but this time 100% modular + Metropolis. Lots of possibilities with the complex voice, and lots of fun with the Metropolis.

Upper row being mostly modulations, random etc... I hope the Multimode VCA is enough VCAs. I swapped it in place of the uVCA and put the Wogglebug instead of the Richter Noisering to gain the 4hp necessary.

This should go on a Erica Synth 6u Skiff in 84hp. Of course I'm not gonna get everything at once, it's just a goal. Maths, Dixie II+ will be the first to join the Mother.

Any input is very welcomed, I've spend enough time on modular grid already ahah !
I love the Mother, but there aren't a 1000 ways to patch it by itself so eurorack expansion is calling :cloud:

And sorry in advance for yet another of those "what do you think" post...

TXBDan
Common Wiggler

Post by TXBDan » Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:06 am

FYI, Moog has a PDF of the blank patch worksheet here:
https://www.moogmusic.com/sites/default ... _Sheet.pdf

iwar
Learning to Wiggle

Post by iwar » Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:50 am

I got myself one last week it is my first step into modular world.
I'm having lotsof fun with it. But i feel it is time for an expansion.MATH (make noise) will be the next step..any body has different recommendations?

ludotex
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ludotex » Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:21 am

Double post
Last edited by ludotex on Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
---
Latest patchings and experiments: https://www.youtube.com/user/plutotex/videos

ludotex
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ludotex » Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:21 am

iwar wrote:I got myself one last week it is my first step into modular world.
I'm having lotsof fun with it. But i feel it is time for an expansion.MATH (make noise) will be the next step..any body has different recommendations?
MATH is great for a 1st module I d say. Don't have to be this one, but you ll be able to do tons of routing and attenuations.

I got my mother32 yesterday. What a beast. Very well rounded and coherent unit. Sequencer is fun too!

Here is my first fun time with it while going thru the sequencer tutorial. Can't wait to play some more and start patching it with the euro.

[video][/video]
---
Latest patchings and experiments: https://www.youtube.com/user/plutotex/videos

phirewall
Learning to Wiggle

Post by phirewall » Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:31 pm

Mother 32 is nice, I would rather have the Brother From Another Mother though

TjunkmanT
Learning to Wiggle

Moog Mother noob power problems

Post by TjunkmanT » Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:21 pm

Hey all, I'm new to the forum and the modular world in general. I've been doing some digging and can't really find what I'm looking for so hopefully I'll get pointed in the right direction. Anyways

Trying to get all my modules running in the same case but with the Moog Mother 32 plugged into power I can't get everything to start up fully, just get flickering from the leds in the modules. Without it everything works just fine. Tried a taking a few modules out of the mix assuming something is pulling too much current but nothing seems to effect it besides the Moog. Moog runs fine in it's own case.
I haven't got any test equipment atm let alone much electronics knowledge.

modulargrid says my power consumption with the Moog in the case is 1376 mA +12V | 221 mA -12V | 0 mA 5V

my case supply should be +12v@3A and -12v@2.5A

Any pointers would be deeply appreciated, thanks

Riggar
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Riggar » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:01 am

I'm in a rush - so check this out

http://forum.moogmusic.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=25498

and google something like 'moog mother 32 power up problems/issues'

I know 3 mothers in a Doepfer PS2 case will fail to boot and needs a solution - all related to the power 'in rush' demand from the 32.

what case and power?

ah! there's also this - viewtopic.php?t=161913&highlight=

I see you say that all the modules on their own work fine but when the mother 32 is in you get a problem - it could be that you've got another module that has a larger initial current draw and this plus the mother is the issue. I was going to suggest that you start with the mother and add a module at a time - though I'm not sure that helps other than to detect the module that proves the point. That doesn't fix it.

TjunkmanT
Learning to Wiggle

Post by TjunkmanT » Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:55 pm

Thanks Riggar, will be checking those out momentarily!

I'm using the 7U synthrotek waterproof case with the 'blue' case power.

Got a Roland Scooper that I figured might be causing problems when powering up but disconnecting that doesn't seem to help.

Thanks again, I'll see what I can do with those resources

Logprimo
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Logprimo » Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:08 pm

Hi.

1st time poster on Muff Wiggler, and have zero knowledge of modular.

But I have bought a Mother 32 and have been offered a Vermona Fourmulator, for free. Before I get it I was wondering if anyone could explain how the Fourmulator & Mother 32 could interact. Also, are these 2 compatible or are there any additional requirements to get them working together.

Many thanks

Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:27 am

They would interact no problem, you just need cables to connect them. However the Vermona is not a stand alone unit and would need a skiff + power supply. This would allow you to add more modules later on.

Logprimo
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Logprimo » Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:14 pm

Hi.

Thanks for your reply.

I actually bought a 3 tier Moog rack, in case I wanted to add a few more things. I'll need additional cases/power supplies, as you mentioned.

I suppose specifically I was wondering about differing voltages and how that works.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”